Guest guest36187

You can access the payment mandate here http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/files/lhlh/Payment%20Mandate.pdf

Thanks for the link Steve and the info Matt.

Still very close at the moment with the Forex (quote $1.54) option just in front but only by about £150 as I write.

Things to consider:

If you Forex out the money some Oz banks charge a % of the bank draft and someone quoted $170 just to pay the bank draft.

There appears to be no charge for using a credit card in the UK (or Oz but then you never know the rate you will pay until you have paid it) so depending on the card you have you could earn a nice collection of points.

There must be as many posts on the web saying the £ will go up as down so there is no clear direction at the moment.

We live in interesting times.

Guest sirmatt101
Thanks for the link Steve and the info Matt.

Still very close at the moment with the Forex (quote $1.54) option just in front but only by about £150 as I write.

Things to consider:

If you Forex out the money some Oz banks charge a % of the bank draft and someone quoted $170 just to pay the bank draft.

There appears to be no charge for using a credit card in the UK (or Oz but then you never know the rate you will pay until you have paid it) so depending on the card you have you could earn a nice collection of points.

There must be as many posts on the web saying the £ will go up as down so there is no clear direction at the moment.

We live in interesting times.

If you use a CARAVAN CLUB credit card you can get a free site night voucher for every £2k you spend, just THINK of all the free nights you could earn!!! :shocked:

Matt

If you use a CARAVAN CLUB credit card you can get a free site night voucher for every £2k you spend, just THINK of all the free nights you could earn!!! :shocked:

Matt

..yes and you used to be able to sell them on ebay until they changed the rules. :wink:

I was thinking M&S points or maybe Tesco. :idea: Just found out M&S will not allow pre-loading of C.C., but Tesco will so have applyed for C.C. just in case we go down this route, possible 11,155 points.

Having had daughter achieve PR in December she has sponsored us for CPV 143 and an unreliable internet connection had us print out forms and decided to apply onshore.We took forms to Dandenong where we met a 4 hour Q and were informed that no help/advice would be given,the application forms would only be sent onto Perth processing centre,so we are back in Patterson Lakes about to post/courier the application.

We have a 676 Visa until May but would have liked to ask if they need ? Our birth certificates or will UK passports suffice?Do we need our daughters Birth Cert's? One has PR and the other a 2 year student visa for Oz so that should prove their residency here.Perhaps we will need our marriage certificate too but are in process of getting that.?

So we will post/courier our application and follow with these certificates and arrange Med/Police checks when asked for.Try and keep out of trouble meantime too although did so for last 62 years you never know what is round the corner!

Hi

As the parent visas are processed in Perth and info for the 676 likely to be stored in the ether somewhere I would provide everything they ask for just to be on the safe side and avoid delays. You can't assume that people in different departments actually talk to each other! Your birth certs and daughters are to show her relationship to you. Copies of passports to confirm your identity. We also sent birth certificates and marriage certificate. We got everything copied and certified as a job lot so it worked out cheaper. We had originally applied for the 103 but then changed to the 173/143 and we submitted everything again just to be on the safe side.

Guest sirmatt101
Hi

As the parent visas are processed in Perth and info for the 676 likely to be stored in the ether somewhere I would provide everything they ask for just to be on the safe side and avoid delays. You can't assume that people in different departments actually talk to each other! Your birth certs and daughters are to show her relationship to you. Copies of passports to confirm your identity. We also sent birth certificates and marriage certificate. We got everything copied and certified as a job lot so it worked out cheaper. We had originally applied for the 103 but then changed to the 173/143 and we submitted everything again just to be on the safe side.

I would second that advice. They (DIAC) can't always get your email address right, so not much chance of them finding info sent previously!!

Cheers

Matt

Depending on which State you settle in, you have to apply, (online, or an application form) to the State Government.

If you Google, Google Australia and then look up Senior Card, it will take you to where you want to be.

We applied for our Seniors Cards (for Queensland) a month ago, using our daughter's address and they have been delivered, ready for when we arrive next month. The ones I applied for have the seniors card one side & the Go Card (for bus travel) on the other. I am not sure if you get discount on medication, I don't think you do. Maybe someone else can answer that?

Try one of these:-

Seniors Card - Community Services (Queensland Government)

Seniors Card travel, transport and business discounts program

Seniors Card - Department of Planning and Community Development

Seniors Card - Service Areas

Seniors Card - Government of South Australia

Seniors Card ACT - Home

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt so informative as usual! Seems to get reduced charges for medication you have to have been two years in residence. Seniors card sounds handy tho.

:notworthy:

Hi Matt. thank you for your very helpful information.My hubby and I emigrate on the 10thMarch 2011. as you can imagine we are super excited,and also very interested in any information on settling into our new life. We will be staying with one of our daughters when we first arrive, but as she has only two bedrooms. and two children. we will not impose for very long. We intend to rent a flat for two years and then to buy a small place. we have also registered with two housesitting agencies and we have had some graet offers, but not close enough to our daughters. We will be helping with childcare so need to be close to the. This is a great way to start as you do not pay rent and it gives you time to find out where you want to live. If anyone wants the agencies sites i will profide them. Good luck to all who are still waiting for there visa, believe me it will all fall into place.I got my Co last March and had my visa in June. We ahd to work a bit longer.but cannot wait now to retire. best wishes Phyllis

Hi Matt. thank you for your very helpful information.My hubby and I emigrate on the 10thMarch 2011. as you can imagine we are super excited,and also very interested in any information on settling into our new life. We will be staying with one of our daughters when we first arrive, but as she has only two bedrooms. and two children. we will not impose for very long. We intend to rent a flat for two years and then to buy a small place. we have also registered with two housesitting agencies and we have had some graet offers, but not close enough to our daughters. We will be helping with childcare so need to be close to the. This is a great way to start as you do not pay rent and it gives you time to find out where you want to live. If anyone wants the agencies sites i will profide them. Good luck to all who are still waiting for there visa, believe me it will all fall into place.I got my Co last March and had my visa in June. We ahd to work a bit longer.but cannot wait now to retire. best wishes Phyllis

Hi Phyllis

That sounds really interesting, because we are not 'pensionable age' just yet we have to find work as well. Do you get payment for 'house sitting as well' it's something I had never heard of but would really appreciate the link :jiggy:

Also does anyone know exactly what the retirement age is in Oz. As a female I can not now retire in the UK until I'm 63 :swoon:, hubby will have to be 66. As we are (57 me and 55 hubby) we still have a lot of years to fill with working before we are entitled to our UK pension which would obviously help us out once we are in Oz.....:frown:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe The links are assiehousesitters.com and housecarers.com. good luck.

Thanks Phyllis I'll give that a look :wink:

Did I read you are going to Queensland? My daughter lives there so hopefully that would be our aim. My daughter lives in Varsity Lakes close to Robina :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Phyllis

That sounds really interesting, because we are not 'pensionable age' just yet we have to find work as well. Do you get payment for 'house sitting as well' it's something I had never heard of but would really appreciate the link :jiggy:

Also does anyone know exactly what the retirement age is in Oz. As a female I can not now retire in the UK until I'm 63 :swoon:, hubby will have to be 66. As we are (57 me and 55 hubby) we still have a lot of years to fill with working before we are entitled to our UK pension which would obviously help us out once we are in Oz.....:frown:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I understand Australia are also gradually increasing the official retirement age to 67, ie this is the age at which you can start drawing your pension. However, CPVers are not entitled to an Australian pension until after 10 years, and then it is means tested.

Here's the link:

OAG23 Retirement in Australia

However, I understand there is no mandatory retirment age and my brother in Queensland tells me hi is working with a 73 year old!

Here's some more information:

OAG23 Retirement in Australia

Linda

Hi Phoebe, It is Sydney we are going to. Let me know how you get on with the housesitting. We get one today, which is for 6 months, and it would suit us, but I need to check if it is close enough to my daughters. This is going to be one fantastic year, for lots of us. Phyllis

Guest sirmatt101

Hi Phyllis, we are departing down under on 23rd Jan to start our new life. We have just finished our employment today so are now officially unemployed and homeless!! I will be having to find employment down under as I am not pensionable age yet, even though I do draw a forces pension. As someone has already mentioned CPVs have to wait 10 yrs before being pensionable and then its means tested. I am intending to take any job to start with and then look for something better.

We will be staying with our daughter for a while, but we are really looking forward to a house of our own after living in a caravan/motorhome for 4 years saving up for this! Our household stuff has been in storage for 4 yrs and it will be like Christmas when its delivered!

All the best

Matt

Hi Phyllis, we are departing down under on 23rd Jan to start our new life. We have just finished our employment today so are now officially unemployed and homeless!! I will be having to find employment down under as I am not pensionable age yet, even though I do draw a forces pension. As someone has already mentioned CPVs have to wait 10 yrs before being pensionable and then its means tested. I am intending to take any job to start with and then look for something better.

We will be staying with our daughter for a while, but we are really looking forward to a house of our own after living in a caravan/motorhome for 4 years saving up for this! Our household stuff has been in storage for 4 yrs and it will be like Christmas when its delivered!

All the best

Matt

Good Luck to you both Matt. I don't know where you are headed but after Yomvard validated their visas for melbourne they said they were always recruiting posties out there.....could be a start :biggrin:

Phoebe

Hi Matt you are almost there. good luck, and best wishes on your new life. Like you we will have to work part time. we will look after the grandchildren mon tues wed, and we will be able to work around them. I am a Registered Nurse so hopefully I will get a few shifts. Our State pension we have defered, and will contiue to do so till the end of April, so we get the 4% rise. Every little helps. Best wishes for your new house and to be reunited with your furniture.It will be great to be getting settled. Phyllis

Guest sirmatt101
Good Luck to you both Matt. I don't know where you are headed but after Yomvard validated their visas for melbourne they said they were always recruiting posties out there.....could be a start :biggrin:

Phoebe

We are headed for Brisbane. A posties job would suit me fine, riding about on a moped!!:jiggy:

Matt

We are headed for Brisbane. A posties job would suit me fine, riding about on a moped!!:jiggy:

Matt

LOL that's what my hubby said so worth checking it out :cute:

We will (hopefully) be heading for the Gold Coast my daughter lives in Varsity Lakes about 1.5 hours drive South of Brisbane :biggrin:

Let us know how you are getting along :cool:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, It is Sydney we are going to. Let me know how you get on with the housesitting. We get one today, which is for 6 months, and it would suit us, but I need to check if it is close enough to my daughters. This is going to be one fantastic year, for lots of us. Phyllis

Hi Phyllis

That sounds great its certainly worth thinking about :wink:

I usually go to Google maps....put in where my daughter lives ie Varsity Lakes....then the name of the place we are looking at....click get directions....and it gives you a driving distance..........really useful when you dont know the areas :biggrin:

Did you join the housesitter site to get the contacts?

Phoebe

G'Day Phyllis

Whereabouts in Sydney, may I ask? Our daughter and family rent in Double Bay ("...Double Pay", as they say), while we have a small unit in Cremorne on the Lower North Shore (let when we are back in the UK) – near enough for babysitting convenience, but not TOO near, if you know what I mean!!

Good luck with the move.

Mike

Matt

Best of luck to you and LadyMatt, hope the flight goes well for you both.

Another job they keep advertising is bus drivers, big depo near where your daughter lives, bit bigger than a moped, but drier working conditions :wink:.

May see you some time, if we ever get there.

Meds this coming Saturday and our son has an appointment at Centrelink this Wednesday to make an appointment for the interview for Aos, (not allowed to do it over the phone) don't ask. :cry:

Best of luck to you and LadyMatt, hope the flight goes well for you both.

Another job they keep advertising is bus drivers, big depo near where your daughter lives, bit bigger than a moped, but drier working conditions :wink:.

May see you some time, if we ever get there.

Meds this coming Saturday and our son has an appointment at Centrelink this Wednesday to make an appointment for the interview for Aos, (not allowed to do it over the phone) don't ask. :cry:

They like to make us all jump through hoops for the privilege of giving them most of our life savings:swoon:

Good luck with it all, it's giving all of us who are following an insight into what's to come

:err:

Phoebe

Hi Mike, I think we are quite near you. Our Daughters live in Crows Nest. Yes I do know what you mean, close but not too close. When are you moving permantely to Sydney. Phyllis

Yes, Crows Nest is just down the road a couple of km.

A bit difficult to say yet when we will make the move, but hopefully in 2012. According to Steve's tracker we should be going through the final hoops about a year from now, or a bit less. Then it's a matter of finger-crossing for the British housing market and the exchange rate.

Good luck, Mike