Guest guest36187

2 minutes ago, PCP said:

Does anyone have an idea when immigration department give queue date? I have lodged application in July 2018 and received email today with a queue date of 7 May 2021. Does that my application is assessed and I will be asked to provide proofs/apply for AOS? Or they have just started looking into my application?

A queue date is issued when your application has been reviewed and all is well with the initial documentation submitted.

See also: https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-applications-queuing-system-introduced/

Suggest you should also familiarise yourself with expected visa processing times, as discussed on this thread (and elsewhere).   You can expect to have several more years to wait for this visa application to be granted.

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PCP said:

Does anyone have an idea when immigration department give queue date? I have lodged application in July 2018 and received email today with a queue date of 7 May 2021. Does that my application is assessed and I will be asked to provide proofs/apply for AOS? Or they have just started looking into my application?

Hi PCP,  What day in July 2018 was your application lodged?  We lodged ours 18th July 2018 but haven’t heard anything yet. 

10 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

...........In the current times spouses, partners and children of Australians residents or citizens can get an exemption to enter Australia but not parents because parents are not considered immediate family - I don’t know how much more immediate you can get when you’ve given birth to that Australia citizen/resident!! 

I quite agree.  Not a single one of us has any family member more immediate than their own mother!

5 hours ago, MillieB said:

Hi PCP,  What day in July 2018 was your application lodged?  We lodged ours 18th July 2018 but haven’t heard anything yet. 

We lodged on 10th May 2018. I hope you should get some news soon. 🙂

3 minutes ago, PCP said:

I think we are around 3 years behind based on what I found in https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/foi/files/2019/fa-190500418-document-released.PDF

30045 on hand application before 11 July 2018

- 7000 (2018-19)

- 7000 (2019-20)

- 4500 (2020-21)

~atleast 11500 still in queue lodged before 10 July 2018.

I hope I haven't been too optimistic:D

Yes you have. None of the figures you quote for grants  have actually been reached ! There were nearly 9000 applications in May and June 2017  alone. At  present levels of grants it will take 2 years just to get though those two months. The date they are currently processing - May 2016 - has been stuck at that level since last September as there was an increase in applications that May too. At May 2020 there were 22900 people in front of my June 2017 application. By June 2021 they have capped grants at just 3600. That means around 19300 still in front of me 

12 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes you have. None of the figures you quote for grants  have actually been reached ! There were nearly 9000 applications in May and June 2017  alone. At  present levels of grants it will take 2 years just to get though those two months. The date they are currently processing - May 2016 - has been stuck at that level since last September as there was an increase in applications that May too. At May 2020 there were 22900 people in front of my June 2017 application. By June 2021 they have capped grants at just 3600. That means around 19300 still in front of me 

You might be right. I think I haven't considered subclass other than 143 that falls in 7000 cap. Well, let's hope for the best.

Btw, from a memory I did try to find a parent visa queue calculator sometime back but it was not available. Is there anyway I can find number of people ahead of me in the queue?

7 minutes ago, PCP said:

You might be right. I think I haven't considered subclass other than 143 that falls in 7000 cap. Well, let's hope for the best.

Btw, from a memory I did try to find a parent visa queue calculator sometime back but it was not available. Is there anyway I can find number of people ahead of me in the queue?

The queue calculator was only available for a couple of weeks last May. It’s been showing as being  under “System Maintenance “ since then but @Alan Collett added a chart he received from immi following a FOI request. It shows the numbers applied for every month.  

C268ADAD-D73B-440C-9626-5B2C99C23080.jpeg

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes the 870 is available. But as the wait time has blown out it makes things more difficult. It’s a further expense on top of what is already an expensive visa.plus the cost of private health insurance which is expensive for older people,  as I’m sure you’re aware - I seem to remember reading that one of the reasons you went for PR was that your health insurance was getting very expensive? Then one 870 is probably not enough for some people.  You have to leave Australia at the end of your first 870, whether it’s a 3 or 5 year one and have to be offshore for 3 months before you can reapply. But you then have to add on processing time - if it’s the same as now that’s another few months. I can’t see it being automatically renewed when you reapply  at the end of 3 months as surely they would need to check the criteria is still valid ie your sponsor still meets the criteria of $84k annual income and whether you need another medical if your health has deteriorated - which is a possibility the older you get! . So you could end up being out of Australia for 6 months or more.  Where do you go then?? I’ve seen posts where people have sold their houses because they anticipate getting their grant after 5 years,  when that’s not going to be possible in a lot of cases. You could also end up paying capital gains tax if you then sell yout UK home after being absent for 3 or 5 years as the principal rate relief you get, (which means you pay no tax on the sale) , only applies if you’ve been living in it.  Plus you may have had the extra hassle/ worry of renting your house out. It’s also a big change in lifestyle for older people to adjust to after spending 5 years in Australia,  to go back home for that length of time.and perhaps worry something will happen and they’re refused a second option. No one knows yet what will happen at the end of an 870 as we haven’t reached that point yet. Then what  happens at the end of a second 5 year 870?? It’s going to take at least 10 years or more for new applicants. You can only stay for a maximum of 10 years on an 870  

The problem with the waiting times is not just the fact that more people have applied,  it’s the fact that the government had reduced the yearly amount of grants from 7000 to supposedly 4500 for the year ending June 2021- they’ve  just reduced those further in thd last couple of weeks to  just 3600!! I’ve no idea what the cap will be from July 2021 but I’m not expecting any increase. 

But people on 804 snd 864 don’t have these extra problems - in fact 804 is very cheap - most people on it will never get their grant due to the extremely long processing times but they can stay onshore all that time. That is costing the government a lot of money in Medicare etc. 864 do make a contribution towards that as do 143 in the cost they pay for the visa - although I’m well aware it’s not really sufficient - and is only paid when the visa is finally granted years down the line  

So tell me again why it’s ok to make older people on 143 remain offshore and pay further big bucks to be with their families for the remaining years of their lives when people who apply onshore just get to stay there? Many of us are widowed with no other family nearby. It’s not rocket science to realise that the young skilled migrants Australia wanted also have parents and those migrants would like to have their parents with them. Believe me I am grateful Australia does offer parent visas as I’m aware it’s difficult in other countries including UK but Australia is a big country with only 25 million or so, unlike many other countries with big populations.

There should be a level Playing field for all parent applicants. I’m waiting to see what happens after the current senate.inquiry into parent visas finishes and a report issued in August. I’m not holding my breath for good news though!

In the current times spouses, partners and children of Australians residents or citizens can get an exemption to enter Australia but not parents because parents are not considered immediate family - I don’t know how much more immediate you can get when you’ve given birth to that Australia citizen/resident!! 

We went for PR on the 864 visa because after 16 years here on the retirement visa we were finally eligible, as 2 of our 3 children followed us to Australia, and gained their PR after many many hurdles. I have mentioned how expensive health insurance is for temporary visa holders to make people aware of the cost, as it can become unaffordable for some, and affect your plans. 

I have made no secret of the fact that we took advantage of the visa rule change which  meant we could switch from the 864 to the 143 pathway. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have complete sympathy for everyone stuck in the ever increasing queue, that’s why I still post on this thread whereas hundreds don’t bother once they get their visas. Not sure I will keep on when I am asked to justify why it’s ok why it’s ok to keep older people on the 143  visa offshore etc. The government make the rules, and should this change great, but perhaps unrealistic when there are so many thousands and thousands of potential parents who would then be eligible to come? I shan’t comment any more on this as it’s understandably  too personal, and it’s not in my nature to upset anyone.

Wish everyone the best in the parent queue

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ramot said:

The government make the rules, and should this change great, but perhaps unrealistic when there are so many thousands and thousands of potential parents who would then be eligible to come

if you look on social media some of those thousands are planning to do exactly that once the borders open. Arrive and apply to withdraw 143 and change to 804 - much cheaper even if they never actually get the grant 

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

if you look on social media some of those thousands are planning to do exactly that once the borders open. Arrive and apply to withdraw 143 and change to 804 - much cheaper even if they never actually get the grant 

Will be interesting to see the consequences of such actions on the processing time of the remaining subclass 143 visa applications.

There's an escalated financial risk of being onshore on a Bridging Visa for an extended period. 

The comfort having a PR visa needs to be factored into one's deliberations in this regard.

Best regards.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Will be interesting to see the consequences of such actions on the processing time of the remaining subclass 143 visa applications.

There's an escalated financial risk of being onshore on a Bridging Visa for an extended period. 

The comfort having a PR visa needs to be factored into one's deliberations in this regard.

Best regards.

Speaking as someone who intends to keep on with the 143 application in order to get PR and the security of full Medicare I’m hoping processing times get less as more people leave the queue!! If the result actually went the other way for example it would merely serve to increase  the numbers swopping  to 804 . In fact the queue might stop growing as more would just go straight into applying for 804  

Social media ( even some agents) are touting the 804 as the most cost effective way for parents to spend their remaining  years in Australia and argue that reciprocal health agreements that 11 countries have with Australia is sufficient. I know it’s only supposed to be for Essential health care but plenty have reported getting excellent care. 

I would hazard a guess that there could also  be a huge financial effect on Australia’s tax payers who would have to support the medical costs of bridging visa applicants on 804/864 as the potential for more people on bridging visas increases?

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Speaking as someone who intends to keep on with the 143 application in order to get PR and the security of full Medicare I’m hoping processing times get less as more people leave the queue!! If the result actually went the other way for example it would merely serve to increase  the numbers swopping  to 804 . In fact the queue might stop growing as more would just go straight into applying for 804  

Social media ( even some agents) are touting the 804 as the most cost effective way for parents to spend their remaining  years in Australia and argue that reciprocal health agreements that 11 countries have with Australia is sufficient. I know it’s only supposed to be for Essential health care but plenty have reported getting excellent care. 

I would hazard a guess that there could also  be a huge financial effect on Australia’s tax payers who would have to support the medical costs of bridging visa applicants on 804/864 as the potential for more people on bridging visas increases?

It would help the queue reduce but I’d imagine only for those with many years still to wait. Someone who has 8 years to wait may decide to jump ship but I’d be surprised if those with two or three years left years left to wait would.  Therefore unlikely to have much impact on those that lodged several years ago but would on those who have recently joined the queue.  Of course many parents aren’t old enough for that visa anyway and therefore have to sit and wait.  I’ve been in the queue over four years now and I’d say unlikely many before me would give it up now. 

Edited by Tulip1

On 01/05/2021 at 18:14, LindaH27 said:
27 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

It would help the queue reduce but I’d imagine only for those with many years still to wait. Someone who has 8 years to wait may decide to jump ship but I’d be surprised if those with two or three years left years left to wait would.  Therefore unlikely to have much impact on those that lodged several years ago but would on those who have recently joined the queue.  Of course many parents aren’t old enough for that visa anyway and therefore have to sit and wait.  I’ve been in the queue over four years now and I’d say unlikely many before me would give it up now. 

27 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Surely it would only take a small tweak to stop this loophole just put a no further stay on all tourist visas . 

17 hours ago, Singh1993 said:

Anyone in chat who applied 143 in may 2016 and waiting for final decision .plz tell me

We are in the same boat. Applied on 30/05/2016, got a notification on 09/04/2021 saying that it's been progressing. But no news yet. 

22 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

<snip>

Added to which BV holders are not subject to Australian tax in respect of their foreign source income - eg pensions.

Best regards.

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Added to which BV holders are not subject to Australian tax in respect of their foreign source income - eg pensions.

Best regards.

Oh yes @Alan Collett I’d forgotten about that! Well let’s see what the senate enquiry says in August. Not holding my breath though !! 

I note that Scott Morrison and Josh Frydenburg (spelling?)  have both recently said they think the borders will remain closed till end 2022!! My main concern is what the New Years caps will be for the visas as that will impact on everything to do with parental migration. Skilled, partner, wealthy, talented and celebrity seem to be allowed in but poor old parents caps get smaller and smaller. I do  understand that older people may cost more as they age  but a lot of applicants will be more than self supporting. Perhaps they could increase the quota if parents were prepared to pay for private health insurance - although I know that wouldn’t be popular. 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 21:11, BargeUK said:

I quite agree.  Not a single one of us has any family member more immediate than their own mother!

There is a group on facebook - Parents are immediate family - it's a great support system and we are making a lot of noise on a lot of social media platforms to push for things to start moving on this front. There is a petition doing the rounds too to allow parents of Aussies to be exempted from the travel ban. It has 30,000 signatures already and it closes on 19th May so please get your signatures in!

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN2535

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Arti said:

There is a group on facebook - Parents are immediate family - it's a great support system and we are making a lot of noise on a lot of social media platforms to push for things to start moving on this front. There is a petition doing the rounds too to allow parents of Aussies to be exempted from the travel ban. It has 30,000 signatures already and it closes on 19th May so please get your signatures in!

I did try that group a while ago but left as it was too “noisy” and upsetting and previous petitions ( which I and my daughter in Australia signed)  got nowhere. The budget today shows them having to spend a lot of extra money on aged care and a doubling of the two year period to four years for some migrants and families  before they have  access to any government benefits - not 143 though as that’s already 10 years!.

Its unlikely therefore that by  making migrants  wait longer for benefits and having to spend more money on an ageing population means that the government would look favourably on allowing more old people in. They made mention of being more along the lines of attracting global talent. A mention was also made that the borders would likely remain closed till at least 2022. No mention of any caps for this year either as far as I can see  It’s also possible that they would only let parents in from low Covid/ nearly fully vaccinated countries as they have done with New Zealand, so that would also impact on whether parents could get in. They’re looking at it being mid 2022 before they repatriate most stranded Australians as well.  

There is also a senate enquiry into all parent visas going on which will report in August -  it’s fair to say they will wait to see what that says  

Only my interpretation!  Hopefully there may be a more definitive explanation of the budget by others on the forum? . .    

I do really wish you all well as I’m obviously in the same situation but the wait has  made me more realistic and pessimistic about the chances of getting to Australia any time soon. The majority of Australians do not want the borders open as they are living a relatively normal life unlike the rest of the world. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Arti said:

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

I did try that group a while ago but left as it was too “noisy” and upsetting and previous petitions ( which I and my daughter in Australia signed)  got nowhere. The budget today shows them having to spend a lot of extra money on aged care and a doubling of the two year period to four years for some migrants and families  before they have  access to any government benefits - not 143 though as that’s already 10 years!.

Its unlikely therefore that by  making migrants  wait longer for benefits and having to spend more money on an ageing population means that the government would look favourably on allowing more old people in. They made mention of being more along the lines of attracting global talent. A mention was also made that the borders would likely remain closed till at least 2022. No mention of any caps for this year either as far as I can see  It’s also possible that they would only let parents in from low Covid/ nearly fully vaccinated countries as they have done with New Zealand, so that would also impact on whether parents could get in. They’re looking at it being mid 2022 before they repatriate most stranded Australians as well.  

There is also a senate enquiry into all parent visas going on which will report in August -  it’s fair to say they will wait to see what that says  

Only my interpretation!  Hopefully there may be a more definitive explanation of the budget by others on the forum? . .    

I do really wish you all well as I’m obviously in the same situation but the wait has  made me more realistic and pessimistic about the chances of getting to Australia any time soon. The majority of Australians do not want the borders open as they are living a relatively normal life unlike the rest of the world. 

Hi All ... Budget papers are online now. Not good news.image.png.a94915b5795a2a420d9e5dabcfe893ba.png

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi All ... Budget papers are online now. Not good news.image.png.a94915b5795a2a420d9e5dabcfe893ba.png

Yes as I thought! . All we need to know now is whether the 2021-22 programs - which are quoted as being the same as this year (up to  end June 2021) - will revert to the previous cap of 4500 or stay with the recently introduced further cap to 3600!! 

• Like 1