Guest guest36187

Hi Stella the dog. The house swap experiment went really well. We had two lovely houses for two weeks each and really enjpyed 'living like locals' It was a really relaxed few weeks and saved us more that just the accomodation costs - because we were so comfortable we shopped locally and ate in a lot of the time. Our daughter stayed at 'our' place for the last week and it really did feel like we were living here. I think it was instrumental in my OH coming round to the idea of living here eventually - we found a driving range for him to practice golf, explored the fabulous surroundings (northern beaches) and have generally had a fantastic time. I would definitely do it again in the future.

Some things to note about your own place before a potential swap:

You can get your post withheld for up to two weeks for a fee of - can't remember - about £20 is I think.

We took away all our personal paperwork and computers and planted them in my mother's spare room for the duration of the swap.

We are lucky enough to have a detached garage and were able to lock up things we thought we might need, like camping gear, in there, where we could access it without disturbing the swappers.

We informed the neighbours about what was happening

We checked with our house insurers.

Having said all that, the swappers were great - we went out for a drink one evening with the second couple, also about our age, and they had us round for dinner pre-swap when we got here. Hugs all round when we left, they felt like old friends.

Be thinking of you with all fingers crossed

Moira

Im assuming you wouldn't be able to work on this visa same as normal holiday visas?

Just on another note I wrote to my MP not like me but really annoyed about the fact if you emigrate to a foreign country your pension goes up with inflation. I eventually got a reply yesterday to say she has brought it to the attention of the MP for work and pensions and will get in touch when she has a reply. I'll keep you all posted when I hear but don't hold your breaths :swoon:

In the meantime Neuro Surgeon appointment for me Monday 9.15 and biopsy for hubby Monday 3.45

Phoebe

Phoebe

Good luck both of you for Monday.

The frozen pension issue is huge. I discovered a whole web site devoted to it a while ago and, providing the information there was accurate it seems that if you emmigrate to some countries (e.g. the Phillipines) your pension is raised in line with inflation, but if you go to others (e.g. Australia) it isnt.

I also gathered that if you are temporarily in a country where your pension would be regularly raised in line with inflation, you have the right to be paid the full current amount for the period of your temporary stay - even if it is just a few weeks - then when you return to (say Australia) your pension drops to the lower rate again.

The iniquities of this system are obvious, particularly when you consider that by leaving the UK we are saving them all the money they would have spent on our medical care etc etc as we got older. This has been brought before the European court of human rights but the case was lost - I don't know why

Kath

I totally agree that's why I feel so strongly about it.

Maybe we should all write to our MP's if we kick enough butt we might just get somewhere.

What do you say PIO'ers?

Phoebe

Phoebe

Good luck both of you for Monday.

The frozen pension issue is huge. I discovered a whole web site devoted to it a while ago and, providing the information there was accurate it seems that if you emmigrate to some countries (e.g. the Phillipines) your pension is raised in line with inflation, but if you go to others (e.g. Australia) it isnt.

I also gathered that if you are temporarily in a country where your pension would be regularly raised in line with inflation, you have the right to be paid the full current amount for the period of your temporary stay - even if it is just a few weeks - then when you return to (say Australia) your pension drops to the lower rate again.

The iniquities of this system are obvious, particularly when you consider that by leaving the UK we are saving them all the money they would have spent on our medical care etc etc as we got older. This has been brought before the European court of human rights but the case was lost - I don't know why

Kath

There may be some hope on the horizon as this appeared in the Telegraph at the beginning of September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/9519928/Britain-agrees-to-open-frozen-pension-talks-with-Australia.html

Ian

Im assuming you wouldn't be able to work on this visa same as normal holiday visas?

Just on another note I wrote to my MP not like me but really annoyed about the fact if you emigrate to a foreign country your pension goes up with inflation. I eventually got a reply yesterday to say she has brought it to the attention of the MP for work and pensions and will get in touch when she has a reply. I'll keep you all posted when I hear but don't hold your breaths :swoon:

In the meantime Neuro Surgeon appointment for me Monday 9.15 and biopsy for hubby Monday 3.45

Phoebe

Good luck for your hubby's biopsy

The details for the visa are not out yet - but from what has been said it is going to be a tourist visa therefore I would expect holders would not be allowed to work (the actual conditions will be available when it is announced).

Also although it will be valid for 3-5 years with periods of stay up to 12 months at a time, it is also worth considering that this probably means you would be expected to leave for a reasonable period of time after a 12 month stay, to show you are a genuine tourist, rather than just pop over to NZ for a day or two?

It will be interesting to see the actual policy that goes with this visa as well as the regulations.

Edited by TeeTMI

Re: Frozen pensions

Hi all

I've just looked up the site I originally found dealing with frozen pensions:

http://pensionjustice.org/information-centre/

The group is the consortium of international pensioners and the site gives all the information about this issue to date.

Kath

Yes that's the site I used to send my comments. I got a big standard reply then an Official letter from the House of Commons maybe if enough of us bombard them they will have to do something about it. It's in all our interests

Phoebe

Guest NicolaandGordon

Hi

My mum and dad currently live in the UK but would love to move to perth to be with my sister, brother in law and nephew, it appears to me they are limited.

The 103 has a long waiting list is this right?

The CPV is really expensive, I noticed above people saying if you get the 103 your life would be on hold until the CPV was granted why?

My sister is willing to sponsor for which I have two questions, can you sponsor more than one time? and do you still need one of the above visas if sponsored by your daughter?

Sorry questions again.

Nicola

Hi

My mum and dad currently live in the UK but would love to move to perth to be with my sister, brother in law and nephew, it appears to me they are limited.

The 103 has a long waiting list is this right?

The CPV is really expensive, I noticed above people saying if you get the 103 your life would be on hold until the CPV was granted why?

My sister is willing to sponsor for which I have two questions, can you sponsor more than one time? and do you still need one of the above visas if sponsored by your daughter?

Sorry questions again.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

Yes the 103 has a very very very long wait most of us won't still be around when it was granted :no:

Unfortunatly the only way to go for us is the CPV173 temporary or CPV 143 permanant the 173 is for 2 years but you can apply at any time it is in force to upgrade to 143 that is the way we are looking so it splits the costs.

They would also have to pass the 'balance of family test' this means they either have to have more children 'settled' in Oz than they have in the UK or at least half of their children have to be 'settled' in Oz :yes:

I can't answer your question regarding can your sister sponsor more than one application (I'm sure someone else will know) but unfortunatly YES you still have to have one of the above visas. There's no way round it if you want to go you have to pay as well as all the other criteria medicals, police checks, sponsor, AoS etc.

Good Luck to them :biggrin:

Phoebe

Guest NicolaandGordon

Hi

Thanks for the reply, do you know the costs then for the way you are planning?

also my older sister lives in Perth, I would be staying in the uk till my degree is finished but my younger sister is going with my mum and dad as she classed as dependant due to a disability.

how would that work with the family balance test?

thanks

nicola

Hi

also my older sister lives in Perth, I would be staying in the uk till my degree is finished but my younger sister is going with my mum and dad as she classed as dependant due to a disability.

thanks

nicola

If your younger sister is a dependant and going with your parents then it looks like the balance of family test will be fine as there would then be 2 children in Oz and 1 in UK.

The visa costs go up twice a year January and July fo to the immi site

www.immi.gov.au

this will give you all the information you need. There is a lot of reading but try and stick to your specific visa interests i.e. CPV173/143. All current costs are also on there. You also need to read Booklet 3 but it's all there you just need some patience :cute:

This is the right place if your stuck for anything we are a friendly bunch :wink:

Phoebe

Yes that's the site I used to send my comments. I got a big standard reply then an Official letter from the House of Commons maybe if enough of us bombard them they will have to do something about it. It's in all our interests

Phoebe

You are quite right Phoebe. We will also make our concerns known via the site! Angie

Hi

thanks

nicola

Hi

If I understand correctly, you yourself are in the UK, you have one sister in Perth and another sister who lives with your mum and dad. If this is the case, unless I have misunderstood, as I see it your parents do not currently meet the balance of family test as they currently have more children in the UK than in Australia. This would not be met until you yourself were a permanent resident in Australia.

Have a look at page 24 of Booklet 3 which explains the BOF test:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

Edited by Linday

Hi

If I understand correctly, you yourself are in the UK, you have one sister in Perth and another sister who lives with your mum and dad. If this is the case, unless I have misunderstood, as I see it your parents do not currently meet the balance of family test as they currently have more children in the UK than in Australia. This would not be met until you yourself were a permanent resident in Australia.

Have a look at page 24 of Booklet 3 which explains the BOF test:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

I must offer my apologies I was assuming as her parents were taking their other daughter as a dependent the BOF test would be met.

Phoebe

morning, just wondering if anyone can help....im looking to travel to Oz end 2013 but would like to go economy to Oz and business home, most sites ive looked at dont give you that option(only Emirates) anyone know of another airline that does that?

thanks very much

Tab x

Hi Tabitha.

Maybe have a look at http://www.kayak.co.uk to find the cheapest option flying economy - then speak to the airline or travel agent offering that option to find out the cost of an upgrade to business for the return flight?

Best regards.