what a difference a year can make

twinsmom65

This time last year we were waiting with baited breath for our visa (got our visa Sept 12th 2008).

Well we have been in Oz for almost 11 months now, and what a difference a year can make. As most of you know, we came to Australia having never visited the country, only knew one person, who we had never met, and came with no jobs to come to and just 8 suitcases and $15k aud.

Finally feeling very settled, just moved house again (hopefully this will be the last move for us for a long while !!). Brought furniture for the first time here (thank god for ebay and gumtree and quokka !!) as we have moved from a furnished house to an unfurnished house.

Hubby is still with the same company 10 months on and loving it. I have finally found my niche and am enjoying my new job for a not for profit company as a financial counsellor.

My twins who will be turning 16 in December are finally more settled. Both are itching to get their learners permit and to start learning to drive. They have made a few good friends here and are doing well in school.

My mum and dad are now busy planning their 4 month stay with us next xmas (2010), what a change. When we first moved out to Australia they weren't too happy with us

moving halfway round the world, now they are busy buying books on Australia and telling us how much they are looking forward to visiting us.

I can't believe how fast time flies here, even my twins mentioned that it doesn't feel like we have lived in Australia coming up to a year.

As I sit here and type this I have to pinch myself sometimes, it is so peaceful where I live, and I just enjoy sitting outside and listening to the sounds of the native birds and watching the roos.

So for all of you who are still waiting on your visa good luck and to those who have your visa's and are awaiting the move good luck on the next chapters of your lives.

Cheers

Karen :biggrin:

Hiya Karen,

I remember when we used to sit in the chat room for hours talking about our moves and here we all are (except the odd ones who wont be long getting over here now). So glad you have finally started to settle and it sounds like the twins are doing well ... all good!

Hope that it carries on getting better and better for you!!

All the best,

Nikci xxx

Guest stockies

OMG I cant believe you have been here 11 months.

God didnt we used to have some laughs in that chat room ! All the questions we used to ask each other about our visas and where we gonna live and families that were all against us coming, it all seems ages ago now. And the quizes that we had sometimes on a Sunday evening (mind i do believe that there were some people cheating ) !

Im so pleased that everything is working out for you now and that the Twins are enjoying their new life.

I hope you continue to enjoy Australia.

Claire. Xx

This time last year we were waiting with baited breath for our visa (got our visa Sept 12th 2008).

Well we have been in Oz for almost 11 months now, and what a difference a year can make. As most of you know, we came to Australia having never visited the country, only knew one person, who we had never met, and came with no jobs to come to and just 8 suitcases and $15k aud.

Finally feeling very settled, just moved house again (hopefully this will be the last move for us for a long while !!). Brought furniture for the first time here (thank god for ebay and gumtree and quokka !!) as we have moved from a furnished house to an unfurnished house.

Hubby is still with the same company 10 months on and loving it. I have finally found my niche and am enjoying my new job for a not for profit company as a financial counsellor.

My twins who will be turning 16 in December are finally more settled. Both are itching to get their learners permit and to start learning to drive. They have made a few good friends here and are doing well in school.

My mum and dad are now busy planning their 4 month stay with us next xmas (2010), what a change. When we first moved out to Australia they weren't too happy with us

moving halfway round the world, now they are busy buying books on Australia and telling us how much they are looking forward to visiting us.

I can't believe how fast time flies here, even my twins mentioned that it doesn't feel like we have lived in Australia coming up to a year.

As I sit here and type this I have to pinch myself sometimes, it is so peaceful where I live, and I just enjoy sitting outside and listening to the sounds of the native birds and watching the roos.

So for all of you who are still waiting on your visa good luck and to those who have your visa's and are awaiting the move good luck on the next chapters of your lives.

Cheers

Great post Karen & it gives others hope while waiting on their visas; :biggrin:

Glad you have all settled in so well..

We have been here on the Goldcoast for 3 months and it has seemed like ages..but in a good way..we too lost a lot of money with house price drop and currency rate at 30 year low and poor redundancy package..but not looked back as i go to work each day and come home and dont feel stressed in anyway at all.

Add to that the sun and laid back attitude , its makes me glad that we still did it even though so much was going against us.

Good luck to all.

Cheers

Lovely update Karen!

I know what you mean about the time flying by, for us it feels like we have been for decades.

And the longer we are here the more we like it.:cute:

Guest guest17301

Congratulations on making it work despite 'hiccups' Karen. Proof it can and does work, your positivity and determination have paid off. Well done, hope you continue to be happy in the future.

I followed your tale avidly last year - you got your visa grant on my wedding day! we were just getting our second rejection from the TRA at the time:arghh:

It sounds like you have settled really well - we visited the vines on our honeymoon at the end of september and fell in love with the area.

We are off for our meds is a couple of weeks and hope to get the final grant by the end of october and join you on the happy side next year

Donna x :wubclub:

Guest shawgorbys

HI Karen omg that has gone really quick i sent you a few messages last yr but that has gone so fast so glad you have settled and the twins are enjoying to coz we have twin boys they will 15 next month we are hoping to be in perth jun2010 take care hun andrea,gary,jack,tom,xx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Suz2011

Tthats fantastic news its just what i want to here. I am 39 and my husband is 44 with two 2 boys age 10 and 11 yrs. We have decided to emigrate to Brisbane just ready to start the visa process. My husband is welder/Plater and i work in accounts. We like you do not plan to visit before we move and probably wont have jobs. We hope to arrive approx April 2011 its all a bit scary and i am so glad to here it has all worked out you and the family. Keep your fingers crossed that the same happens for us. suz

Hi Karen brill post,glad to hear that things are working out for all of you, can't

describe to anyone how much im looking forward to my move to oz in january

and just reading your post makes me feel so glad i started this journey.

good luck to you and yours and everyone eles on the same journey.

Paulaxx

Guest juliemtaylor

brill post, I remember your plight as I joined about end Aug/Sep last year just starting out and now we have our visas but are stuck here waiting for the house to sell...

Keep us posted and hope you are continuing to enjoy your new lives.

Julie x

Cheers

Made up that its going so well for yer! for some reason i allways thought you were one of those going over with loads of dosh,dont know why!great hearing your doing well,hope it carries on

Archived