transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alienland

hello..I have been in Australia now since August 2010, and it is nothing like i have expected. We landed in Sydney and was greeted by our Australian host,who took us to our hotel.Then,on the monday, my husband was taken to work to get kitted up etc,we had a few days off with our hired car to look for a house. we ended up in the western suburbs because my husband was told it was a good place to live,and then he started work. In january he joined a ship,and have hardly seen him since. They dont get regular leave like in England, it has to be earned. For every fornight they work, they get a day or something silly towards leave, so he wont be home for the easter holidays etc, he was hardly home during the xmas holidays as he was stung for duties.

as for me and my 2 children,who are in primary school, i spend my days sat in the garden or house. i dont drive,and dont live near any decent shops.I walk my kids to school every morning,1/2 hour there, and 1/2 hour back in scorching heat or rain.even if i did learn to drive, they drive like maniacs. My childrens school are filled with asians whose parents speak their mother tongue, as are the residents in my complex. i feel likewe live in a kennel, fifteen house in a block of land of the road.

I got to meet some english wives of the navy who transferred over, and all they did was gossip about each other, they were very much in a clicky group,I dont do gossip,sorry.

so be prepared for the grass not being greener at all. I am so unhappy, so are my kids. we cannot afford to buy ourselves out ,so my husband has to do the full contract of 6 years.

I came to Sydney 10 years ago with my husband, and fell in love, gorgeous beaches etc, but holidaying and living, are totally different. we stayed in Mosman, beautifull, filled with quaint shops, friendly people and beaches, now we live in what seems to be little asia filled with nothing but traffic, and 40 minutes to mosman, which we barely have the time to visit, weekends are filled with food shopping in silly little supermarkets, that is when he isnt duty.

I am sorry to write all this, just think carefully before you give up your family and friends

living far away is very difficult, and you cannot just go home when you need to'.

I hope your new lives are much happier,and your move goes well, just wanted to tell you my story so far.

hello..I have been in Australia now since August 2010, and it is nothing like i have expected. We landed in Sydney and was greeted by our Australian host,who took us to our hotel.Then,on the monday, my husband was taken to work to get kitted up etc,we had a few days off with our hired car to look for a house. we ended up in the western suburbs because my husband was told it was a good place to live,and then he started work. In january he joined a ship,and have hardly seen him since. They dont get regular leave like in England, it has to be earned. For every fornight they work, they get a day or something silly towards leave, so he wont be home for the easter holidays etc, he was hardly home during the xmas holidays as he was stung for duties.

as for me and my 2 children,who are in primary school, i spend my days sat in the garden or house. i dont drive,and dont live near any decent shops.I walk my kids to school every morning,1/2 hour there, and 1/2 hour back in scorching heat or rain.even if i did learn to drive, they drive like maniacs. My childrens school are filled with asians whose parents speak their mother tongue, as are the residents in my complex. i feel likewe live in a kennel, fifteen house in a block of land of the road.

I got to meet some english wives of the navy who transferred over, and all they did was gossip about each other, they were very much in a clicky group,I dont do gossip,sorry.

so be prepared for the grass not being greener at all. I am so unhappy, so are my kids. we cannot afford to buy ourselves out ,so my husband has to do the full contract of 6 years.

I came to Sydney 10 years ago with my husband, and fell in love, gorgeous beaches etc, but holidaying and living, are totally different. we stayed in Mosman, beautifull, filled with quaint shops, friendly people and beaches, now we live in what seems to be little asia filled with nothing but traffic, and 40 minutes to mosman, which we barely have the time to visit, weekends are filled with food shopping in silly little supermarkets, that is when he isnt duty.

I am sorry to write all this, just think carefully before you give up your family and friends

living far away is very difficult, and you cannot just go home when you need to'.

I hope your new lives are much happier,and your move goes well, just wanted to tell you my story so far.

Sorry to hear your finding it so hard - have you thought about looking into transferring elsewhere in Oz? As for the leave issue I think that catches a few people out when they transfer but at the end of the day it`s no different to how it works in civvie street - once you have the leave built up though surely he can apply for it?

Guest Dave and Ady

Hi alienland. Sorry to hear you are not happy. We live out west you are more than welcome to come over for a brew and a chat. Pm us your email we can have a chat.

Kind regards,

Dave and Ady.

Guest Dave and Ady

He was offered another job. I hope he comes over as he is an opportunity of mine.

:biggrin:

Navy ref, we are all still intrigued, are you having second thoughts or do you mean where to live, schools if you need them etc

Guest Dave and Ady

Bloody iPad auto spelling. Meant to read oppo I know :biglaugh:

He was offered another job. I hope he comes over as he is an opportunity of mine.

:biggrin:

I tried to pm you but I can`t - don`t think you`ve made enough posts yet - I know of one family who came over and hated it they ended up paying back RAN but they were offererd a transfer elsewhere in Oz first- that may be worth seriously looking at. Is it Oz in general or Sydney and where you live now that is the problem?

Guest guest25493

wow..this is the first time I have been on PIO for months and months.i only came on because a friend messaged me about a post..and wow,my first post which started this thread seems like a lifetime ago, and all the people who have been coming over or interested. I know a few who managed the transfer, but I wonder how many more did,and how they are doing

Guest Navyref

Hi Alienland,

We can totally understand your predicament and you have our sincere empathy.

I went to New Zealand (for 283 days) and joined their 'sea scouts' and ended up in the same boat as you - luckily we bought our own house and sold at a profit, so our loss was not too great and had sufficient funds to pay back the bond and get out of Dodge - with sanity in tact! Luckily, I was able to get my old job back and the money I made by staying in that job for fifteen months recouped the loses made whilst in Mordor!

I would advise anyone considering making the move to pay your own way out there because that way, when the Navy starts messing you about,in which they will, the bond will not be an issue when discussing your future. The system is set up like this so it is difficult to leave = they get there money back.

I am now in a situation where I have my visa's for entry into the country but I cannot come until August because I've had to take a job elsewhere (mortgage still needs paying) due to our visa's not being issued in time. Our dilema now is that I'm on a comfortable tax free salary working for a civilian company, so why should I give it up to go back into uniform with the possibility of encountering the same scenario and experiences like I did whislt in New Zealand - and again at a lower rate than I was in the RN - not being worthy must be a southern hemisphere thing? Should I stay or should I go? (who sang that?:biggrin:)

Anyway, Alienland, Dave and Ady are good people (must be a Somerset thing) and are truly sincere when offering their hand of friendship. They can see through this 'Navy wive's malarky, so seriously consider their offer - you won't regret it and who knows you may see us in August - if I've not been abducted by a radical muslim!

Best wishes

Navyref

Guest Navyref
Bloody iPad auto spelling. Meant to read oppo I know :biglaugh:

...look at you with the iPad - that's not the iPad 2 by any chance?:biglaugh:

Hi and welcome

Im sorry ur feeling like that.

If you would like to meet up for coffee and a chat please PM me I drive so can travel to you.

Keep ur chin up

Nita :biggrin:

Hi Alienland,

We can totally understand your predicament and you have our sincere empathy.

I went to New Zealand (for 283 days) and joined their 'sea scouts' and ended up in the same boat as you - luckily we bought our own house and sold at a profit, so our loss was not too great and had sufficient funds to pay back the bond and get out of Dodge - with sanity in tact! Luckily, I was able to get my old job back and the money I made by staying in that job for fifteen months recouped the loses made whilst in Mordor!

I would advise anyone considering making the move to pay your own way out there because that way, when the Navy starts messing you about,in which they will, the bond will not be an issue when discussing your future. The system is set up like this so it is difficult to leave = they get there money back.

I am now in a situation where I have my visa's for entry into the country but I cannot come until August because I've had to take a job elsewhere (mortgage still needs paying) due to our visa's not being issued in time. Our dilema now is that I'm on a comfortable tax free salary working for a civilian company, so why should I give it up to go back into uniform with the possibility of encountering the same scenario and experiences like I did whislt in New Zealand - and again at a lower rate than I was in the RN - not being worthy must be a southern hemisphere thing? Should I stay or should I go? (who sang that?:biggrin:)

Anyway, Alienland, Dave and Ady are good people (must be a Somerset thing) and are truly sincere when offering their hand of friendship. They can see through this 'Navy wive's malarky, so seriously consider their offer - you won't regret it and who knows you may see us in August - if I've not been abducted by a radical muslim!

Best wishes

Navyref

Hi I just wanted to say we have had no trouble with the navy at all, they have been fantastic with everything, They have not messed up us around in anyway.

I dont think its the navy thats the problem its DHA and where they say u can live.

You need to put ur foot down and tell them where u want to live and not be forced into living where they tell you. I did tell them and I now 5 mins from the beach.

I got told it was rough here, well that was rubbish everyone speak English there is no trouble and it is very clean, People should look around rather than be told where to live.

And there are a lot of people that are willing to help on this page, everyone I have spoken to have been very grateful for the info they have been given. Good luck with ur move :biggrin:

Guest Red Squirrel

Hello everyone and feel like I should say thank you to you all !

I have been coming back to this forum for advice, lurking around in the back ground while I have been going through the RAN application and felt that it was time to give something back.

If anyone needs any advice on any part of the process i'll try my best to help !

I got an e-mail through last month to say my visa had been granted so its still all fresh in my mind.

Am due to go over in august and have been looking at applying for a bank account, am thinking of going with common wealth bank anybody else been looking for a bank to go with ?

Looks like you have to pay charges if you use a ATM other than your own bank and am thinking of going with common wealth bank because they seem to have the most cash machines :laugh:

I have been coming back to this forum for advice, lurking around in the back ground while I have been going through the RAN application and felt that it was time to give something back.

If anyone needs any advice on any part of the process i'll try my best to help !

I got an e-mail through last month to say my visa had been granted so its still all fresh in my mind.

Am due to go over in august and have been looking at applying for a bank account, am thinking of going with common wealth bank anybody else been looking for a bank to go with ?

Looks like you have to pay charges if you use a ATM other than your own bank and am thinking of going with common wealth bank because they seem to have the most cash machines :laugh:

Hi and welcome.

There are 3 banks out here that are verey good, Common wealth I think they might be the biggest, u also have westac and Nab, now nab seem to be doing to best deals at the mo so it might be worth looking into them.

We stayed with HSBC and they are world wide,

Hope this helps, if you need to know anything else just ask and we will try and answer it for u

Nita and Dougis :biggrin:

Hi there Red Squirrel :biggrin:

Congratulations on your visa!

We're going out in August too, to WA. Where are you headed? Are you surface or subs?

We'll be getting a bank account sorted soon, thanks for the heads up about Common Wealth will have a look at them.

All is quiet here at the mo', suppose it will get busy for us August people around June time :wacko:

Good Luck with everything

Liz

Guest drh123

Hi there,

Me and my wife came here in Jan, it was a big gamble as Id never been to Australia.

However, we really love it here, and we have taken Aus life by the horns and are very busy people all week long. Outdoors, never indoors.

The problem I have encountered in Sydney is that not all (not including you) the poms take the chance that has been gifted. I live out west and many people believe it to be too far from anywhere. I believed it was a challenge to find out all about the areas. Yes it is a very strong Asian area, so is alot of Australia! Reading into history people should note that the Asian culture stems back to very early in Sydneys history and as such have populated the country just like the poms did. This should not be a surprise, it should be considered, if you can live with it.

Me and my wife go out most weekends, mountains, beaches, bbqs and the list goes on. Football (soccer), Engineering Institutes and Netball are big parts of our lives along with the gym.

We help with the other poms in the community and wouldnt have it any other way.

As with everyone, we all have a dream, you have to harness and work to that dream. No one will help you, you have to make it happen. We had a dream of living near the beach and we are miles away from it. But guess what, we have gone out and made it happen. I still love the area I live in for a variety of reasons and will look towards the future in our new area to continue our exciting journey.

If your coming over, please remember a few things!!!!!

This magical country is NOT yours.

Do not complain about the decision you made, you made it for a reason, remember the reason and make the most of it.

If you cant find anything to do, then you are not looking hard enough as there is whole new world outside your door.

You will NOT agree with everything in this country, but it will NOT be changed for you.

If you think this is England, you are truely mistaken.

We do not want this to be like England, I like everyone else left England for a reason, remember this reason and remind yourself of it always.

I wake every morning, thinking how lucky I am to be given such a great chance in life, only I can make the most of it. I have 1 chance to make it work, and I will make it work as I made the decision to come to another country and be the immigrant.

I hope everyone makes the most of this article, I know you may not all approve, but to me, its the truth. Some may not like it, some will agree, to be honest, Im not too bothered.

A famous saying in the Navy, ' there are no bad runs, only bad runners', take from this what you will.

x x x x

Guest Red Squirrel
Hi and welcome.

There are 3 banks out here that are verey good, Common wealth I think they might be the biggest, u also have westac and Nab, now nab seem to be doing to best deals at the mo so it might be worth looking into them.

We stayed with HSBC and they are world wide,

Hope this helps, if you need to know anything else just ask and we will try and answer it for u

Nita and Dougis :biggrin:

Hi and thanks for the heads up about HSBC !

Ave had a look into them have you ever had any trouble trying to find a cash machine ? Am not a skin flint :happy_face_outlaw_s: just don't fancy paying to get my own cash out.

Also sorry for more questions :confused: but have you tried to apply for a TFN from the tax people seems like I need an address to get stuff sent to ?

Thanks Again !!

Guest Red Squirrel
Hi there Red Squirrel :biggrin:

Congratulations on your visa!

We're going out in August too, to WA. Where are you headed? Are you surface or subs?

We'll be getting a bank account sorted soon, thanks for the heads up about Common Wealth will have a look at them.

All is quiet here at the mo', suppose it will get busy for us August people around June time :wacko:

Good Luck with everything

Liz

Hi Thanks very much. The visa process was a bit mental and really happy it turned out well:biggrin:

Am off to NSW to Nowra airbase looking forward to it !

Hats off to every one with kids its been bad enough just sorting myself out !

Quite quiet here too, just trying to sort my self out with the TFN have you looked into that yet ?

Oh and am trying to sell everything I own :swoon:

Keep in touch !!

Hi and thanks for the heads up about HSBC !

Ave had a look into them have you ever had any trouble trying to find a cash machine ? Am not a skin flint :happy_face_outlaw_s: just don't fancy paying to get my own cash out.

Also sorry for more questions :confused: but have you tried to apply for a TFN from the tax people seems like I need an address to get stuff sent to ?

Thanks Again !!

Hi we have not had any problems getting money from cash machine theres enough around and I have never paid a fee to get money out.

It might be a bit different for you being in Nowra dont know where there nearest HSBC will be I will ask around for you.

We have to travel to Hurstville and that about 20 mins away but only go there once or twice year. :biggrin:

Hi Thanks very much. The visa process was a bit mental and really happy it turned out well:biggrin:

Am off to NSW to Nowra airbase looking forward to it !

Hats off to every one with kids its been bad enough just sorting myself out !

Quite quiet here too, just trying to sort my self out with the TFN have you looked into that yet ?

Oh and am trying to sell everything I own :swoon:

Keep in touch !!

I didnt think you could get a TFN until u got to Australia once u get here u can do it on line and it tells u the number there and then. Well I got mine right away

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Guest Ironduke

Air freight

Anybody whose done the move have any top tips for what to bring/wish you had brought?

We get 16 boxes so thats quite a bit!

Cheers

Guest Ironduke

Contacted HMRC (inland revenue in old money) today, choosing which option to press was fun as an employed-forces pension receiving-about to emigrate-potential landlord candidate, strangely couldn't find an option for that! It would appear I have multiple forms to fill in as well as complete a tax return annually - great.

Hi, sounds like you are in the same position as us, we are renting our house out in the UK. We opted to be tax exempt in the UK and file our return here, mainly because we will pay slightly less tax over here but primarily as we are able to write off so much more against tax at this end...... we saw an accountant when we first arrived and are due to submit our first tax return in June so we will find out if we made the right decision then!!! We spoke at length to the tax office in the UK before we left but when we got here we ended up repeating lots of it because the UK office "lost " some information, personally i think it was just to get us to confirm what wee had originally said to ensure we were not trying to fiddle the system. Australia has a reciprocal agreement with the UK and there is a form you fill in at this end if you choose the tax exempt route, i can look it out for you if you are interested. good luck on the phone though....remember it well! Dont hesitate to ask if you need any other info

Guest Ironduke

For P85 needs filling in to say you are leaving the country together with your last P45.

I spoke with HMRC (after a v.long wait) and Navy pension must be taxed in UK, no problem, spoke with Xfinity paymaster and HMRC send them new code after receiving P85.

Stocks and shares are taxed at source so no bother there.

I'm moving the kids savings to Oz because of the much better interest rates which I suppose its all relative as things cost more there!

There's no mad rush other than to make sure my pension doesn't get taxed too highly, all rent will go in a UK account so if I get a tax bill next year will pay it out of that.

Really looking forward to cancelling council tax (go poke your services I never use coz I'm at sea...rant) and all the other lovely direct debits that have been leaching me for years (I know, new ones await)

Just got to set up landlords insurance, Direct Line do it for about £300 interst free over a year.

Asked bank for permission to rent today, interestingly they say I can do it for a maximum of 3 years thereafter I have to go on a buy-to-let mortgage (probably more expensive) and they are charging me 0.5% extra for the pleasure anyway!! What exactly is this charge for? apart from the initial admin cost what do they do for their money?

Cheers

If I choose to pay my rental income tax in UK can deduct mortgage interest, repairs, agents fee's etc ect just like Oz, HMRC said could well end up paying no tax on it, just have to give them my oz address and they will send me a self assessment yearly for completion.

An Army mate in Perth is lining me up with a tax advisor which by all accounts is worth having.

Archived