transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all I'm after some info for some friends coming out here and things are going really slow for them.

Thye sent there paper work off in jan and got told it would only take 9 weeks .and they are still waiting to get things in writing, like TOS and a few other things.

Anita :biggrin:

We waited 13 weeks between RN meds arriving in Oz and getting a TOS (submarines). Apparently there was only one man looking at the submariner meds in Oz and he was on leave and then on course, it was an agonising wait for us too as Steve was deployed for most of last year and this year - he would surface from an op's and be excited to hear some news, only for me to tell him that 'still' nothing had happened. Steve had risked it and put his notice in, so we would be available to go out Aug 11 - thankfully it's all turned out well, he got the job, kept his PO rank and we fly out to Perth 16 Aug 11 (19 months after first applying).

Hope your friends hear something soon :smile:

Liz

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hi all I'm after some info for some friends coming out here and things are going really slow for them.

Thye sent there paper work off in jan and got told it would only take 9 weeks .and they are still waiting to get things in writing, like TOS and a few other things.

If anyone can help I would be very gratefull

Anita :biggrin:

I had my medicals done in Oct 10 finally heard they where happy with them at the end of May and still waiting for my TOS. But have been given the joining date of Mar 17th.

I had my medicals done in Oct 10 finally heard they where happy with them at the end of May and still waiting for my TOS. But have been given the joining date of Mar 17th.

Fantastic news :biggrin: Jeez, what a hideous wait!!! Fingers crossed it all goes quickly and smoothly from now on. If you need any help with the visa forms or anything else, just message us and we'll do our best to help you. We have the packers coming in 3 weeks time and fly out in 7 weeks . . . . all feeling very surreal atm! lol

We'll see you on the other side :wink:

Liz and Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gavnicjacflo

:biggrin::elvis: We finally got our TOS giving us the enlisting date of 15th March so i guess we start the visa process next hopefully that wont be to much trouble.

:biggrin::elvis: We finally got our TOS giving us the enlisting date of 15th March so i guess we start the visa process next hopefully that wont be to much trouble.

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Brilliant news, congratulations. You must be feeling very relieved to at last have some sort of direction to your future. You'll be there in 36 weeks time :jiggy:we'll have some beers and a BBQ waiting for you.

Anything you need before then, just ask :smile:

Have a great weekend.

Liz and Steve x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Cheers,

will hold you to that!! 36 weeks and counting, so much to do and I'm sure it will be a rollercoaster of emotions.

How are you getting on with everything, have you got much left to do?

keep us all posted on your journey down under

take care Nic and Gav x

Guest neil1967

Hi, I'm just starting the process - got my medical next week. I'm interested in what the ToS contains - is it just rank, seniority, etc, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Neil

Guest jeffner1974

well done, great news after the wait you've had. been keeping tabs on you lol! we are waiting for hubbies TOS to come through (fingers crossed it's anyday now though i'm not holding out much hope. not with the wait some of you have had) we have had a provisional job offer pending meds which the aussies have had for a few weeks now. so i'll be stalking you on here to see what happens next :cool:

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hi, I'm just starting the process - got my medical next week. I'm interested in what the ToS contains - is it just rank, seniority, etc, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

the TOS basically tells your salary, rate, promotion prospects and gives you a joining date.

Good luck with everything.

Guest gavnicjacflo
well done, great news after the wait you've had. been keeping tabs on you lol! we are waiting for hubbies TOS to come through (fingers crossed it's anyday now though i'm not holding out much hope. not with the wait some of you have had) we have had a provisional job offer pending meds which the aussies have had for a few weeks now. so i'll be stalking you on here to see what happens next :cool:

jen x

Hi Jen,

It was such a relief to get the TOS, although we are still checking emails every morning, not sure why. It has been a long 7mths since our interview, I hope you don't have to wait so long.

Feel free to ask us any questions along the way, PIO is invaluable for advice from others who are further on in the process. Cheers Liz and Steve!!!!!and everyone who has answered any of our many questions.

Now we are waiting for the Labour agreement and then can commence the VISA application. Not looking forward to the paperwork.

Nic and Gav

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hellllloooooo,

anybody out there!!!

Liz and Steve how are you doing? would love an update, how long to go now.

Any news anyone?

Guest jeffner1974

i'm still lurking about lol!! waiting in limbo!

believe me, when i hear something i'll be shouting it out.

jen x

Guest Red Squirrel

Hello every one!

Could anybody tell me what the lateral entry course entails at HMAS Cerberus ?

Has anybody done the course just wondering what to expect !!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi Jen,

It was such a relief to get the TOS, although we are still checking emails every morning, not sure why. It has been a long 7mths since our interview, I hope you don't have to wait so long.

Feel free to ask us any questions along the way, PIO is invaluable for advice from others who are further on in the process. Cheers Liz and Steve!!!!!and everyone who has answered any of our many questions.

Now we are waiting for the Labour agreement and then can commence the VISA application. Not looking forward to the paperwork.

Nic and Gav

Im sure we sent our visa stuff off the same time has we sent for the labor agreement,,,,, Have the navy let the labor agreement run out? that happened to us it was a nightmare waiting for them to sort it, we waited 5 months just for that,,,, Hope u get it soon:biggrin:

Guest gavnicjacflo
Im sure we sent our visa stuff off the same time has we sent for the labor agreement,,,,, Have the navy let the labor agreement run out? that happened to us it was a nightmare waiting for them to sort it, we waited 5 months just for that,,,, Hope u get it soon:biggrin:

Do we have to send off for the labour agreement? the paperwork we were sent didn't say anything about the next step, we naively thought the labour agreement would just turn up.

Do we have to send off for the labour agreement? the paperwork we were sent didn't say anything about the next step, we naively thought the labour agreement would just turn up.

Don't panic!!! The Labour Agreement is a letter that you get sent to you, you don't have to send off for it. It's a letter from the visa people (DIAC) to the RAN saying that they accept you have got the job with the RAN and will grant you a visa, as long you can fullfill the visa requirement criteria for you and your family. When you get the Labour Agreement that is when you can send off the visa application. Although we frontloaded our family medicals before we received the LA, applied for the Police checks and had filled out most of the visa application paperwork before we got our LA. When we sent the visa application off the DIAC granted the visa 4 days after receiveing it (2 days after payment was taken).

So get filling in the papers and hurry up, we want to get this BBQ organised :wink:

We are all packed btw, container left on Weds 20 July and we left Plymouth on Friday 22 July. We passed our MQ out muster no probs - yay! What a relief!

Now staying in Deeside with Steve's family, then have two weeks with my family in Leics and fly to Singapore/Perth 16 August. All feels very surreal and like it's happening to someone else! lol

Will keep you updated on our journey and first thoughts.

Good Luck for everyone with all the paperwork and waiting . . . . we are so nearly there now and it's taken us 18 months from the first interest enquiry.

See you soon

Liz and Steve

Guest Smudger2go
Don't panic!!! The Labour Agreement is a letter that you get sent to you, you don't have to send off for it. It's a letter from the visa people (DIAC) to the RAN saying that they accept you have got the job with the RAN and will grant you a visa, as long you can fullfill the visa requirement criteria for you and your family. When you get the Labour Agreement that is when you can send off the visa application. Although we frontloaded our family medicals before we received the LA, applied for the Police checks and had filled out most of the visa application paperwork before we got our LA. When we sent the visa application off the DIAC granted the visa 4 days after receiveing it (2 days after payment was taken).

So get filling in the papers and hurry up, we want to get this BBQ organised :wink:

We are all packed btw, container left on Weds 20 July and we left Plymouth on Friday 22 July. We passed our MQ out muster no probs - yay! What a relief!

Now staying in Deeside with Steve's family, then have two weeks with my family in Leics and fly to Singapore/Perth 16 August. All feels very surreal and like it's happening to someone else! lol

Good Luck for everyone with all the paperwork and waiting . . . . we are so nearly there now and it's taken us 18 months from the first interest enquiry.

See you soon

Liz and Steve

Good Luck. I contacted the RAN in June so that puts me 17 months behind you! Apart from having bags of patience, any tips for the transfer?

:jimlad:

Guest gavnicjacflo

See you soon

Liz and Steve

Thanks Liz and Steve,

was starting to panic then, we've sent off our police checks and are going to book our meds during the summer hols. I'm still saying to everyone we are hoping to go to Perth in March, untill we get the visa in hand, it doesn't seem real at the minute.

I was worrying about the children leaving their grandparents, but this morning I came downstairs to Jacob, our seven year old, looking at pictures of Perth beaches on google images and he seemed really excited. (It actually said Purth Pictas, bless him, will have to work on his spelling over the holidays.

Glad everything is moving along smoothly, have a lovely time with your family and in Singapore. Make sure you keep us posted when you arrive. Look forward to meeting you down under with a nice glass of wine in the sun.

Take care and see you soon

Nic and Gav

Guest jeffner1974

woohoo! still no tos but got an email this morning offering us june or november 2012!! guess what one we chose? soon as possible please!! hopefully not to long till it is official :biggrin:

which will be (if all goes to plan) 18 mths from start to finish

jen x

Guest jeffner1974

morning,

hoping that someone can clear something up for us. you get a quicker answer on PIO than you do from the RAN!!

the last email we had gave my OH the option of doing his lateral entry course in june or nov, we chose june. next email basically said " we'll pencil you in to enlist on the 15th march" so can someone please run through the motions, what actually happens? so far all this 2nd guessing is doing my head in

we've went over the course of a week thinking that we'll be heading out for june to now heading out for march. where does he enlist? does he do it at Australia house or does he do it in Australia what happens from him enlisting till he goes on the Lateral entry course.

seems it's all systems go in our house now!!

thanks in advance for all advice

jen x

Guest Ironduke
morning,

hoping that someone can clear something up for us. you get a quicker answer on PIO than you do from the RAN!!

the last email we had gave my OH the option of doing his lateral entry course in june or nov, we chose june. next email basically said " we'll pencil you in to enlist on the 15th march" so can someone please run through the motions, what actually happens? so far all this 2nd guessing is doing my head in

we've went over the course of a week thinking that we'll be heading out for june to now heading out for march. where does he enlist? does he do it at Australia house or does he do it in Australia what happens from him enlisting till he goes on the Lateral entry course.

seems it's all systems go in our house now!!

thanks in advance for all advice

jen x

Hi - I've just done my lateral entry course, don't worry its just one the courses he does once you get here, they are just doing some admin for themselves by lining the course (which helps convert him to the RAN) up as close as they can with an actual arrival date. Depending on the rank on joining, officers and senior rates do a 2 week course at HMAS Creswell and JR's at Cerberus for 5 weeks.

He'll sign on (join) the RAN at Australia House in London which will also be the start of his paid employment. You usually fly out that day stopping off for a couple of days at your chosen destination (they'll be in contact to give you the choices). He will receive payment for food and expenses for the whole family (worked out at about 800 pounds) for the journey into your uk bank account (so be prepared to keep an UK account alive when you go by using your in-laws address for instance)

You'll be met on arrival in Oz and if you haven't chosen an ADF rental property, be given a hire car for 3 days. If you have chosen a rental via the DHA then organise a rental from the airport of arrival which you'll probably find cheaper doing from the UK)

You can organise changing your UK license to an Oz one quite quickly as they give you a temporary one straight away (using your future rental address is quite alright) which opens the doors for everything else like id for banks and phone contracts etc.

You'll usually be in temporary accomodation until your rental is ready which once again you get a nice bundle of money for doing so, but you'll soon be sick of the accom after all the moves you would have done by then!

I think thats covered the period you asked for and is pretty up to date as I've only been here nearly 2 months but always check for yourself as things can change.

If you want to pm me (anyone that is) feel free, I don't check as often as I did (life moves on!) but will always try help out the RN community. Sorry civvies - you've dipped.

Guest jeffner1974

thanks ironduke,

i'm glad it's going well for you. and so glad you still find the time to pop on here and share your experience with us.

so it looks like we're heading to london on the 15th of march for Oh to enlist then off we go (is that the same date for you Gav?) so that leaves us the grand total of 33 WEEKS!!!!! to get organised. so be prepared for a thousand queries coming your way :o)

jen x

Archived