transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest mrsshep

Hi

Can anyone tell me how the financials work for the whole process, do we pay for visa's, shipping, flights etc and then claim any or all back?

Also what have people done re vehicles, if car finance is required are we eligible or not until OH has citizenship. If we are not eligible does anyone know if you can hire a car etc..?

Thank you!

:confused:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

Can anyone tell me how the financials work for the whole process, do we pay for visa's, shipping, flights etc and then claim any or all back?

Also what have people done re vehicles, if car finance is required are we eligible or not until OH has citizenship. If we are not eligible does anyone know if you can hire a car etc..? Thank you! :confused:

Hi there,

Welcome to the thread :smile:

Financially you pay upfront for: your passport photos, postage, visa (ours was £1080), family medicals (ours were £875 for 2 adults, 3 kids), police checks (£35 per adult) but when/if you are successful the RAN will reimburse you for everything - keep your receipts for everything.

Your packing & shipping; hotel in London before you go; flights; stop-over hotel & stop-over expenses; furnished apartment and hire car for a couple of days on arrival - are all paid for by the RAN.

The RAN don't pay for pets to travel anymore, so you would have to fund that yourself if you have any.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Liz

Guest mrsshep

Hi again!

Thanks for that info,all very helpful, I feel like I have a million questions that keep popping into my head!

Heres the next two!:biggrin:

After you get your TOS and Labour Agreement, is that a 100% guarantee that you will get your Visa?

And could a few people tell me how long its taken to get their TOS and during the waiting time did you get any feedback or hints as to things were progressing?

Many thanks again for all your help everyone! :wink:

Hi again!

Thanks for that info,all very helpful, I feel like I have a million questions that keep popping into my head!

After you get your TOS and Labour Agreement, is that a 100% guarantee that you will get your Visa?

And could a few people tell me how long its taken to get their TOS and during the waiting time did you get any feedback or hints as to things were progressing?

Hello Mrs Shep,

After you get the TOS and LA it is still NOT a definite that you're going to Oz.

The visa nomination (LA) states on it:

Please note that approval of this nomination does not necessarily imply that your nominee will be granted a visa. This is because your nominee (and accompanying family members, if any) must satisfy certain legislative requirements (including those relating to health and character) before a visa can be granted.

So unfortunately until you get the visa approval, the stress and speculating continue (long into the night! lol) :wacko:

From receipt of our completed initial application it took 8 months til we got the TOS. From receipt of our completed initial application til were requested to send RNmeds was 12 weeks.

From TOS to LA took another 3 months.

So a bit of a slog but a bit easier if you know others have been through it and waited just as long. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Take care

Liz

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know we received our visa approval today :laugh::laugh::laugh: YAY!!!

Wow, what a relief it is to know what we're doing for definite with our lives!

We'll be heading to WA August, 2011 :jiggy:

It is also wine o'clock in our house tonight for Steve and I. The kids are all very pleased and excited too :biggrin:

Good Luck for everyone applying or travelling over.

Liz and Steve

Guest Ironduke
Hi again!

No, the visa entirely seperate from the RAN, they have no influence except to apply to sponsor you. If you fail to get a visa you lose all your money - on a brighter note, if you are a bog standard family without criminal convictions (don't worry if you shoplifted when you was a teenager) you should be alright. I suppose a good way of telling would be to pay out for your ACPO police checks (not the cheap ones you get for going on school trips etc) at £35 each (adults only) if they come back clean you'll have less to worry about. Lets face it, if the RN are happy enough with your circumstances the Oz immigration should also.

TOS seem to take wildly different times, I haven't seen a regular pattern on here yet! They will keep you informed as to what stage you are at as you go along.

Keep asking questions and also try using the search engine with a key word or phrase, that can work well too.

Cheers

Guest Ironduke
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know we rceived our visa approval today :laugh::laugh::laugh: YAY!!!

It is also wine o'clock in our house tonight for Steve and I. The kids are all very pleased and excited too :biggrin:

Liz and Steve

Nice one! See ya there!

Guest Ironduke
Hello Mrs Shep,

After you get the TOS and LA it is still NOT a definite that you're going to Oz.

The visa nomination (LA) states on it:

Please note that approval of this nomination does not necessarily imply that your nominee will be granted a visa. This is because your nominee (and accompanying family members, if any) must satisfy certain legislative requirements (including those relating to health and character) before a visa can be granted.

So unfortunately until you get the visa approval, the stress and speculating continue (long into the night! lol) :wacko:

From receipt of our completed initial application it took 8 months til we got the TOS. From receipt of our completed initial application til were requested to send RNmeds was 12 weeks.

From TOS to LA took another 3 months.

So a bit of a slog but a bit easier if you know others have been through it and waited just as long. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Take care

Liz

Ha ha beat me too it! now get off the net and into the vino!!

Guest mrsshep

:chatterbox:Hi Liz!

Thanks for the info its really helpful to be able to ask other people who have been through it,and congratulations on your visa!:biggrin:

Another q!

So if you got your visa now and you're due to be in Oz for August how does that work regarding notice as my OH's is a years notice?

Thanks

Rowan

Guest mrsshep
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know we rceived our visa approval today :laugh::laugh::laugh: YAY!!!

Liz and Steve

just seen this! yay! big congrats again!! :biggrin:

Rowan

Thanks for the info its really helpful to be able to ask other people who have been through it,and congratulations on your visa!:biggrin:

Another q!

So if you got your visa now and you're due to be in Oz for August how does that work regarding notice as my OH's is a years notice?

Thanks

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Yes, Steve's notice was a year too. We bit the bullet and he handed his notice in last July 2010 in the hope that it would all turn out alright. Our plan B if it all went wrong, was for him to leave anyway and do the civvie thing (or maybe take his notice out - he's ME submariner, so 'might' have been an option?).

On our visa it says we must enter Australia by December 2011, so that wouldn't give you enough notice to give a years notice - although I think maybe the visa date goes by the date that you put you were available to start work with the RAN on your application form?

Our friend (submariner AWA) managed to negotiate early release (with his Captain) for when/if he was successful but his resettlement course time, terminal leave, etc went out the window then.

Someone said the other day that they are letting people go without having to do the years notice (due to the cuts, etc) but not sure if this will apply to submariners.

Also don't forget that after March 2011, as soon as your notice goes in, the RN do not pay any sea-pay. Previously it was halved for the duration of your notice but will now be stopped completely! Who the hell is going to want to go to sea with no sea-pay?? :err:

Lots of things to consider with when to put the notice in, it's a tough one without any guarantees. Then you'll have the decision of whether to do your visa medicals and police checks before you get your LA - we did because we knew Steve was going to be at sea for ages and it paid off for us, as our medicals and police checks were there in Sydney ready for when they processed the visa, we got the visa within 3 weeks of them taking our money and luckily had no snags with anything.

Cheers

Liz

Guest mrsshep
No, the visa entirely seperate from the RAN, they have no influence except to apply to sponsor you. If you fail to get a visa you lose all your money - on a brighter note, if you are a bog standard family without criminal convictions (don't worry if you shoplifted when you was a teenager) you should be alright. I suppose a good way of telling would be to pay out for your ACPO police checks (not the cheap ones you get for going on school trips etc) at £35 each (adults only) if they come back clean you'll have less to worry about. Lets face it, if the RN are happy enough with your circumstances the Oz immigration should also.

TOS seem to take wildly different times, I haven't seen a regular pattern on here yet! They will keep you informed as to what stage you are at as you go along.

Keep asking questions and also try using the search engine with a key word or phrase, that can work well too.

Cheers

Hi

thanks sorry I missed that post! all very helpful!

Ive got a current CRB and have been police checked before and didnt shoplift as a teenager! :biglaugh: so should be ok, just nervous I think about any little thing going wrong!

Its good that they keep you informed whilst waiting for the TOS though as I may go stirrcrazy waiting! I just need to learn some patience, my friends who have done it say that the beginning is very slow and the last couple of months fly by!

Thanks again

Rowan

Its good that they keep you informed whilst waiting for the TOS though as I may go stirrcrazy waiting!

We weren't contacted whilst waiting for our TOS, unless it was a reply to us asking for any info - although now Wendy Hughes has taken over things, contact seems to be alot better, so fingers crossed you'll be kept reassured because you're right it's hideous being left in the dark for months, wondering & hoping! :wacko:

Don't worry we'll all keep you going :tongue:

Liz x

Guest juliethall

Hi Angie, found all your info and timelines really useful. My hub and I really want to take our family over to Aus. I have done 11 years in the Navy. Our kids are 13, 2 and 4 months old!Could I please have a chat with you to ask some questions pls?Glad it's worked out well for you guys!

Thanks, Juliet.

Guest gavnicjacflo
We weren't contacted whilst waiting for our TOS, unless it was a reply to us asking for any info - although now Wendy Hughes has taken over things, contact seems to be alot better, so fingers crossed you'll be kept reassured because you're right it's hideous being left in the dark for months, wondering & hoping! :wacko:

Don't worry we'll all keep you going :tongue:

Liz x

Congratulations Liz and Steve on your visa

Mrs Shep we have been waiting for TOS for 7 months and unknowning is driving us mad hopefully we should get to know soon as we are hoping to go in Jan. We had our interview more like a informal chat in December and heard nothing until we had to contact Wendy Hughes. By the way she only works 3 days a week Mon Thur Fri. Was your hubby a back aftie on Traf before it decomissioned ?????

Another q!

Thanks

Rowan

Hi the other thing u need to take into account is how long ur husbamd has done if hes done 21 and hes goyta year to do, you really need to look into his pension. we knew someone that wanted to leave b4 he had finished his 22 and the navy said yes u could go but u wont get the full amount of pension, and I think it was a lot of money he was going to lose. So please look into it. And good luck with everything.

Been living the dream for 2 and half years and love it xx:biggrin:

Guest mrsshep

Hi everyone!

Well this maybe my last post im afraid. OH spoke to someone in recruitment on monday and they said they wanted his branch as on website so they would get a pack sent out.

Got an email today saying that they arent looking for his branch (CIS SM) ! :mad:

Not sure what to make of that, thinking that they havent updated their staff or the website,so our excitement was premature :no:

Guest gavnicjacflo

You must be gutted, but if its your dream maybe you can try another route

good luck with the future

Guest Ironduke

Just got my NIMMIS printout from the disclosure cell today - it only took 4 days! BZ!

Anyway here's a link for anyone who needs to find out how to get a printout of their records in order to prove sea time:

Ministry of Defence | Freedom of Information | How to make an official request under FOI | Requests for Access to Personal Data Held by the Ministry of Defence

Guest Ironduke
Hi everyone!

Well this maybe my last post im afraid. OH spoke to someone in recruitment on monday and they said they wanted his branch as on website so they would get a pack sent out.

Got an email today saying that they arent looking for his branch (CIS SM) ! :mad:

Not sure what to make of that, thinking that they havent updated their staff or the website,so our excitement was premature :no:

Thats not good news at all, you might be interested in this thread by other ex and serving HM Forces going over to Oz a different way:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/108625-ex-forces-serving-who-applying-visa-can-so-complicated.html

Guest mrsshep

Thanks peops, kind of just completely gutted at the mo.

Will take a look at the other thread. - Thanks

:arghh:

Guest Ironduke

I've just realised I don't know what to do between moving our stuff out and arriving in Oz! I see the embassy say you can't move your stuff more than 4 weeks prior to flying, I asked them who'd do that as you'd have nothing to sleep on etc, the answer I suppose is people want their stuff in Oz as quick as possible.

Short term accommodation seems very expensive, the in-laws would be a squeeze with 2 kids and a dog, so what did you do? I want to keep the job going for as long as possible to keep the pennies rolling in so will have to stay in the area until about 2 weeks before flying.

I've just realised I don't know what to do between moving our stuff out and arriving in Oz! I see the embassy say you can't move your stuff more than 4 weeks prior to flying, I asked them who'd do that as you'd have nothing to sleep on etc, the answer I suppose is people want their stuff in Oz as quick as possible.

Short term accommodation seems very expensive, the in-laws would be a squeeze with 2 kids and a dog, so what did you do? I want to keep the job going for as long as possible to keep the pennies rolling in so will have to stay in the area until about 2 weeks before flying.

Hi our stuff ddint go until a week b4 we left for Australia. dont know if ur living in ur own place at the mo, if so leave it till then. We then stayed in short term for a week, I think it was about 30 pound a day but thats everything gas, electric, all ur bedding thats for a 3 bed house, I know its not gone up much since we got here.

You also get furniture from the navy when u get here once u find the right house, so no worries this end :biggrin:

Guest Ironduke

I think thats what we'll do, leave the movers until the last minute (unless potential renters want the place) then do a tour of GB to say bye. I'm happy with the arrangements in Oz but I think we can do without our stuff for a couple of weeks longer.

Cheers

Guest islie

We are getting beds and settee off the navy in gb for the couple of weeks before we fly out. That way we have a clear house that can be painted and cleaned for move out muster. The only problem we have is no washing machine so launderette here we come. Thanks for the tread for sea time Brian has sent it off.

Gill, brian

Archived