transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got the waiver yesterday and emailed a scanned copy off, don't suppose anything will happen until after the weekend. I suppose PMkeys number comes next, not too bothered at looking at service accom as I hear none of them come with a pool, but that could change if to expensive, heard we get about $400-500 a week with rental assistance - anyone confirm that?

Cheers

Do you know which suburb you want to be in yet?

Guest Ironduke

Not really - OH can pick, I've looked at a few maps but can't really glean anything from that so I suppose a low crime - great school - not far from beach and restaurants type place will do. Commuting doesn't bother me as I'm planning on taking my scooter with me

Guest Ironduke
Anywhere then lol lol

Ive kept my big spider in a jar just for you lol

and I'm bringing the dog (£3200! could have bought lassie for that!) he's daft enough to eat them.

Got the passports back today (that was very quick only posted them 2 days ago) from London with our visa stamps in. That was a bit confusing as our visa grant email said it was all electronic nowadays and didn't need stamps, and in the info pack from Australia House it says to get them 'evidenced' by sending them off for stamping. Thought I'd err on the side of caution and do the stamps -I can always claim the postage back!

Guest SuzannePaul

Hi All,

I am in the process of completing the Form 80n (Personal Particulars for Character Assessment), and it is asking for the names and personal details of our contact in Australia. I was just going to write:

Royal Australian Navy, Please see conditions of Service and DIAC Nomination Approval letters.

Do you think that this will be okay?

Thanks for your help/advice again!

Suzanne

and I'm bringing the dog (£3200! could have bought lassie for that!) he's daft enough to eat them.

Got the passports back today (that was very quick only posted them 2 days ago) from London with our visa stamps in. That was a bit confusing as our visa grant email said it was all electronic nowadays and didn't need stamps, and in the info pack from Australia House it says to get them 'evidenced' by sending them off for stamping. Thought I'd err on the side of caution and do the stamps -I can always claim the postage back!

Ur dog will love it over here, we bought our dog couldnt leave him in the uk. The dog might lose a bit of wieght but they soon put it back on. U need to get heart worm jab for them here, and if they get bit by spiders dont worry it wont hurt them unless its a funnel webb and I dont think u get them over in Perth.

Hope all goes well

Anita :biggrin:

Hi All,

I am in the process of completing the Form 80n (Personal Particulars for Character Assessment), and it is asking for the names and personal details of our contact in Australia. I was just going to write:

Royal Australian Navy, Please see conditions of Service and DIAC Nomination Approval letters.

Do you think that this will be okay?

Thanks for your help/advice again!

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

On our form 80, we didn't put anything for Q28 Details of Contacts in Australia.

But on Q30 under 'Proposed address in Australia' we put:

HMAS Stirling Fleet Base West, Rockingham, WA 6958

I googled the base name for the postal address, not sure if this is the one you'll be posted to, so you will just have to google the name of the base you're headed to.

Also on form 1221 we put in:

Q19 - Date of arrival - we put date we're supposed to be signing; 'flight/ship details' - we put - To be arranged.

Q20 How long do you intend to stay in Australia? From (we put date we're signing) and To (we put PERMANENTLY)

Q21 Place you intend to stay - we put Rockingham,WA.

Purpose of stay - we put Royal Australian Navy - Work

From (date signing) To (PERMANENTLY)

Q22 'Are you funding your trip?' we put 'NO', and then put:

Royal Australian Navy

Department of Defence

R8-4-031

Russell Offices

Canberra ACT 2600

(+61) 2 62652237

Hope this helps, your question is the exact same as I had to ask my friend :biggrin:

Good Luck

Liz x

Guest SuzannePaul

Hi Liz,

I can't thank you enough for all your help. They don't make it easy do they?! I am slowly but surely making my way through all the forms. (Mindyou, they all seem to ask for the same information...!)

Hopefully our Police Checks will make it back this week and we can finally get the application form off. I'll be sooo relieved. Our medicals are booked for 9 Mar, and then we will have done all that we can, and it will be a case of sitting back and waiting. Hopefully not too long - this process seems to have been going on forever. We won't believe that it's real untill that Visa is approved. It's been quite hard keeping the children grounded though. They are 12 and 15 and anxious to "live the dream"!!

Anyway - you'll be top of the list on our BBQ invitaions! Thanks once again.

Suzanne x

Hi Liz,

I can't thank you enough for all your help. They don't make it easy do they?! I am slowly but surely making my way through all the forms. (Mindyou, they all seem to ask for the same information...!)

Hopefully our Police Checks will make it back this week and we can finally get the application form off. I'll be sooo relieved. Our medicals are booked for 9 Mar, and then we will have done all that we can, and it will be a case of sitting back and waiting. Hopefully not too long - this process seems to have been going on forever. We won't believe that it's real untill that Visa is approved. It's been quite hard keeping the children grounded though. They are 12 and 15 and anxious to "live the dream"!!

Anyway - you'll be top of the list on our BBQ invitaions! Thanks once again.

Suzanne x

No problem at all Suzanne,

Yes this waiting is excruciating! I'm sick of appearing like we've made the whole job/emigrating thing up, to family and friends (well, the one's we've told - which isn't many - in case it doesn't happen and we look like COMPLETE idiots! lol). Keep having to say "well yes, we're definately going - when we get the visas". Cannot wait til we get the email saying Yay!! :laugh:

We applied January 2010 and hoped it wouldn't take this long to get a definate Yes but we know we're lucky to have progressed as well as we have. Luckily Steve's boat was alongside when he needed to do his RN meds and he got that done in a few weeks.

Hope your medicals go well. Ours were no bother and they told us they were fine there and then - they posted them off to Sydney the next day.

And we'll look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, in the sunshine - with a stubby in hand and thongs on our feet! lol

Liz x

Liz am i your friend :wubclub:

hehe i just made it up as i went along lol

Carolann you are more than just my friend you are my pyschological crutch and no-one else has the ability to make me laugh more! :biglaugh: You're the best xxx

Hi everyone,

Ive been skulking in the background reading all the posts for a while and thought i should introduce myself.

Hubby, myself and 4 little ones are moving to Sydney in Aug. We received the job offer last Aug and after a lot of sorting finally sent off our visas, along with the police checks two weeks ago. What happens next? We were under the impression that the case officer would send us to get our medicals but i have noticed that a lot on here have booked there own, is that what we should be doing?

Any advice would be really appreciated

Guest Ironduke
Hi everyone,

Ive been skulking in the background reading all the posts for a while and thought i should introduce myself.

Hubby, myself and 4 little ones are moving to Sydney in Aug. We received the job offer last Aug and after a lot of sorting finally sent off our visas, along with the police checks two weeks ago. What happens next? We were under the impression that the case officer would send us to get our medicals but i have noticed that a lot on here have booked there own, is that what we should be doing?

Hi welcome to the forum and more importantly the navy part of it! Our way of thinking was that once the TOR's (job offer) was in and that our visa was a pretty straight forward application then to save time we went ahead and got the medicals done. Lets face it they are going to ask for them anyway so you may as well do it at your convenience. If you need any info then don't hesitate to ask, even if its been covered before because the admin does change! Be careful about revealing personal or operational (presume hubbys in RN still) information, if you're not sure then PM someone. All the best with you application

Thanks for the welcome, I will have a look at the rules as yes husband is still serving.

Do i have to book the medicals through a certain company? its all new to me!

Im really hoping that our Visa is straight forward, will all the information we had to gather it was nearly 70 pages long! also panicing as we seems to have left it quite late in sending off the visa. How long did yours take to come though? My husband has been checking postal tracking religiously (to check if its arrived in AUS), he even know the numbers lol!

Hi everyone,

Hi and welcome , been a few years since I have done any of that but if theres anything I can help with , I will try my best.

I live in Sydney so I can help u there on places to live and whats what here, just ask

Hi and welcome , been a few years since I have done any of that but if theres anything I can help with , I will try my best.

I live in Sydney so I can help u there on places to live and whats what here, just ask

Thanks Anita, I would be good to get some inside information!

Guest Ironduke
Thanks for the welcome, I will have a look at the rules as yes husband is still serving.

Do i have to book the medicals through a certain company? its all new to me!

Im really hoping that our Visa is straight forward, will all the information we had to gather it was nearly 70 pages long! also panicing as we seems to have left it quite late in sending off the visa. How long did yours take to come though? My husband has been checking postal tracking religiously (to check if its arrived in AUS), he even know the numbers lol!

Yes visa is straight forward (and repetitive!) but the timing doesn't matter much because they RAN won't do anything until you have the visa. If hubby is waiting to finish his 22 he'll have his lump sum and pension to tide him over until you go. I've been outside nearly a year and have a little job while I wait so there has been no pressure, in fact I really took my time, however it looks as though all the pressure comes in the last couple of months when you have to get rid of your house, car etc! The ideal candidate to me would be a couple with no kids or pets living in a married quarter who are both only children of orphans and are orphaned!!

Hard to say how long our visas took because I got the wrong sort of police check and they also wanted more info but I sent off in November and got them Jan - so it was quite quick really. Don't worry about the forum rules too much - just don't post where husbands ship is or answer questions about his job (you can say what he is ME, WE etc) put phone numbers and email address in private messages only (plenty of shipping agents and currency brokers trawel this site). Everyone I've met on here is a decent sort just remember its open to everyone.

Medicals have to be taken at very specific companies here's a link to the info on the immi (australian immigration) site:United Kingdom – Panel Doctors

If the link doesn't work just cut and paste it into your browser. All you do is find the nearest to you and ring and book yourselves and kids in. Hubby will find it a bit repetitive as he would have gone through this in his leaving medical but there's no way round it unfortunately!

Hi everyone,

I've been skulking in the background reading all the posts for a while and thought i should introduce myself.

Hi there,

Welcome to the RAN forum/waiting room :wacko:

If there's anything you want to know, will do my best to help you.

We're off to WA submarines in August 2011 - just waiting for our visa confirmation at the mo'. We front-loaded our meds, did them at Maidenhead, they were very nice.

Don't forget to keep all of your receipts for everything too - passport photos, postage, police checks, meds, etc, etc. Our friends had all of the money they'd spent paid into their account the day they left London - they opened an Aussie account before they left the UK and the funds were paid directly into there for them - including spends for the journey over.

Good Luck and welcome to the 'patience of a saint' club :laugh:

Liz x

Guest islie

Ironduke

Have you heard anything about your PmKeys yet. I didn't think you got the visa money until hubby's goes and sees someone on base. Time is passing very quick at the mo June is nearly here. Good luck to everyone moving over

Ironduke

Have you heard anything about your PmKeys yet. I didn't think you got the visa money until hubby's goes and sees someone on base. Time is passing very quick at the mo June is nearly here. Good luck to everyone moving over

Hi we didnt get any money back untill we got to Sydney and Dougie had started work. But u will get every penny back, :biggrin:

Would just like to give U all a bit of advice.

If you dont need to bring ur English money with you Im talking if u have sold your house or other money thats a lot.

If you dont need it I would leave it in the uk untill the exchange rate picks Its really low at the mo and you would lose a lot of money.

I have been here a few years and ours is still in the UK.

Hi all,

I will be posting off all the info requested at the initial application in a couple of weeks and have a few questions:

1. What's the best method of sending documentation to Wendy Hughes? I know it needs to be registered but there are different types & companies.

2. I am still serving as a CPOET(WESM) with 18 months to do. What do the RAN want to see for military/service/employment/training history? I have applied for my service records from from DN Pers, RN disclosure cell and am hoping this is it.

3. As a WE submariner I have never been issued any watch keeping certificates. I am hoping my JPA/RORRS duties and responsibilities records as a SCCOP panel operator and duty fwd tech S/R will do?

4. They ask for Equity/equality and diversity awareness records. Again the RN is a bit sketchy with this. What is everyone using?

I have all the medical forms through to trawl through which I may ask for some help with later.

Cheers for all your help!

John.

Guest islie

Frontstunt

hi i am a poet mesm i will try to help you the best i can!

1 I sent all my docs to OZ by royal mail recorded and signed for, and they received them quite quickly (about a week) make sure you keep all receipts as you get refunded once your in.

2 For my military history etc i photocopied my docs and printed off my JPA competencies page. I also used certificates i had picked up over the years

3 Again with the Equality bit, i seem to remember them being in my docs or i went through the writers, (cant remember that one)

Hope i have helped you.

Anymore info you need just ask mate even if i dont know someone on here will!!

Guest islie

Hi can anyone help me....

Just before i sell all my RN uniform on Ebay (only joking) or bin it.

Is there any of it worth keeping for the RAN,

Archived