transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Everyone,

It seems since we were last on that a few have arrived and we hope that you are settling in and loving the sunshine?

We all went for our medicals at the Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead on Friday which cost us £600. Hopefully the results of the bloods will not take too long and the questionnaires will be despatched by the end of the week.

Could anyone tell us how long it would likely to be and how the Visa'a are issued?

Thank you

Navyref

Hi well it all depends on how busy they are, I dont think ours took that long. Ur visa will come by email. I have been told different things about getting them put in ur passport.We had to send ours off and have them put in the passports, my friends got theres done the day they went and signed on the dotted line the day b4 they flew out here. Please check them aswell, they had the wrong DOB on mine sons, I didnt notice it but my husband did. It was sorted out that evening but it was a nightmare having to wait for Australia to wake up lol.

Have u had ur police checks done ?if not get those done asasp and get them sent off, they will need them.

Hope this helps

Anita and Dougie :biggrin:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Navyref

Hi Anita & Doug

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Police Checks were sent with our Form 47ES and upon receipt of it a few additional items were requested and have since been supplied ( a copy of our CV's and addresses for the last ten years).

It seems strange that no two processes are identical and it appears how an application is processed is totally dependant on how throroughthe Case Officer is. Well, all we can do now is wait, all our paperwork/ medicals to marry and hopefully the nod to say 'Aye' - fingers crossed that the medicals highlight nothing further to be done :-)

Speak Later

Navyref

Ps 13 days left in the RN - yippee!:biggrin:

Guest Navyref

Hi Anita & Doug

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Police Checks were sent with our Form 47ES and upon receipt of it a few additional items were requested and have since been supplied ( a copy of our CV's and addresses for the last ten years).

It seems strange that no two processes are identical and it appears how an application is processed is totally dependant on how throrough the Case Officer is. Well, all we can do now is wait, all our paperwork/ medicals to marry and hopefully the nod to say 'Aye' - fingers crossed that the medicals highlight nothing further to be done :-)

Speak Later

Navyref

Ps 13 days left in the RN - yippee!:biggrin:

Guest gavnicjacflo
Awwww Liz we cant wait to see you either lol,

It is very hot i could breath yesterday but im all good today lol.

Jen its fantastic the only thing i dont like about it is that i didnt do it sooner!!

I love it and even more i cant wait to move into our house this weeK

Oh by the way i have a mosquito bit on my ankle and i think i may have scratched right throught to the bone its soooooooooooooooo itchy

Lovely to hear Ellasdaddy are over in Perth and loving it, we are waiting patiently for TOS, checking emails everyday (actally more like four times a day, driving me crazy). We have been getting our daily fix of Oz by watching Wanted down under and double dose on a fri with Phil, just want to be living the dream now! Keep us posted on life down under, hopefully we will be there next year!!

Nic and Gav x

Guest coolchickclaire
Lovely to hear Ellasdaddy are over in Perth and loving it, we are waiting patiently for TOS, checking emails everyday (actally more like four times a day, driving me crazy). We have been getting our daily fix of Oz by watching Wanted down under and double dose on a fri with Phil, just want to be living the dream now! Keep us posted on life down under, hopefully we will be there next year!!

Nic and Gav x

Hi Gav/Nic we had our interview the same day as you 3rd Dec, we received our TOS Yesterday so I am sure you won't have to wait much longer to know, fingers crossed for you all. We firstly received an email from wendy hughes who has taken over from Terry george last week saying they couldn't take everyone over in Aug 11 but has a second intake for Aug 12, they asked what our preference was and said they would get back to us, all being well with visa/meds etc we go August this year. My husband is a CPO and we are going to Nowra. I know how you feel i was the smae up at 6am most mornings checking emails it drives you mad! I really hope you get to hear soon xx

Guest guest48800

Hi all, See this thread was started quite a while ago but am hoping you're still around to maybe offer some advice?

Am a newbie on PIO, ex RN (left 5 yrs ago). DH still serving senior rate AEA (AV) due to leave RN, time done, in Aug 11. He's been over on longlook in the last couple of years and has applied to transfer to RAN before (about 2 yrs ago) but was advised that they'd stopped recruiting from RN for the time being and for us (him) to give it a while and try again.

Does anyone know if RAN are now looking for AE's? We're now seriously looking at going the civvy route, as AE (Avionics) is on current SOL but haven't got the ball rolling as yet. RN-RAN transfer would be his ideal, but don't want to potentially waste valuable time only to find out they're still not looking for AE overseas tranfers. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thx.

Hi Gav/Nic we had our interview the same day as you 3rd Dec, we received our TOS Yesterday so I am sure you won't have to wait much longer to know, fingers crossed for you all. We firstly received an email from wendy hughes who has taken over from Terry george last week saying they couldn't take everyone over in Aug 11 but has a second intake for Aug 12, they asked what our preference was and said they would get back to us, all being well with visa/meds etc we go August this year. My husband is a CPO and we are going to Nowra. I know how you feel i was the smae up at 6am most mornings checking emails it drives you mad! I really hope you get to hear soon xx

Hi just thought I would ask have they now stopped doing 2 intakes a year. They normally do them in jan and summer and I do kwno of some people that have just arrived.

Once a year is not a loit

Many thanks Anita :biggrin:

Guest guest48800

Hello Claire, have just noticed your recent comments here about your hubby being a CPO and going to Nowra. Would you mind telling me what branch he is? My OH is CPO AEA. thx

Guest smartprice

Hi Woodster my hubby is an aircraft engineer, avionics in the RN, we also applied to transfer the RAN but were told they are not currently laterally recruiting so we are now beginning the process to go civvy. He has now started his civvy licenses as they are mostly funded by the RN and will help to find employment with more money however we were recently told this isnt essential and he can go with his current experience and qualifications.

Good luck if you go for it (o:

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi Anita, how you doing?:biggrin:

Thats what we thought too, we thought there were 2 intakes one in August and 1 in Jan? So you can imagine how shocked we were when we received the email saying do you want to come this august or next? August 2012 just wouldn't have been good for us so waiting to hear what they decided was a nightmare, thankfully they came back with we have been chosen for August 2011. Its strange though because at the interview we were asked if we would like to go this august of Jan 2012?? So not quite sure whats going on there!! Will keep everyone posted if I hear of anything else xx

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi woodster,

My hubby is an aircraft handler based at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall.

Give me a shout if you need to know anything else.

Claire

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi Navyref, were not too far from you, we are in Cornwall. Just a quick question I see your thinking about taking your two cats, I have 2 cats I am bringing along, have you got any good quotes yet? Petair comes out quite good in reviews.

Claire

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi Claire, congrats on TOS, not long for you to wait until Aug, busy busy, good luck with meds and visas. My husband leaves RN next April, 22 done. We are hoping to go over next summer, if we get TOS, still waiting, thanks for info x

Hi Anita, I believe there are still two intakes Jan and June I thought, but must be Aug. Hope you are having a good summer, it's miserable in Cornwall at the minute grey skies, but at least it's not raining x

Hi Claire, congrats on TOS, not long for you to wait until Aug, busy busy, good luck with meds and visas. My husband leaves RN next April, 22 done. We are hoping to go over next summer, if we get TOS, still waiting, thanks for info x

Hi Anita, I believe there are still two intakes Jan and June I thought, but must be Aug. Hope you are having a good summer, it's miserable in Cornwall at the minute grey skies, but at least it's not raining x[/

Hi Gav Nic Jac Flo

the weather is really hot at the mo, its about time its not been a good summer but Im not moaning. You can never be miserable in cornwall even if the weather is, its my second best place in the whole world, but I am Cornish :biggrin:

Hi everyone :biggrin:

Just thought I'd give you an update on our progress and some info on the visa/meds forms needed (and appologies for the length of my post!)

We received our Labour Agreement/Nomination Approval (by email) yesterday and today I sent our all visa stuff off using DHL, in Staples. Yay!! :laugh::laugh:

It's been a 13 week wait from receipt of the TOS, hopefully this next bit will be alot quicker. Especially as our visa meds have been waiting in Sydney since beginning Dec2010.

I would definately recommend for you to get the forms needed printed off from the DIAC website http://www.immi.gov.au/ and start filling them in as soon as you can. Some of the questions are quite troublesome to answer and you may need to go routing out old passports, CV's, trade certificates, etc.

For example some of the things you will need to know:

*all of yours (and your partners) family members full names, dates of birth, places of birth (children, parents, siblings, step-siblings - including the details of deceased relatives)

*yours (and your partners) addresses and dates where you have lived for the last 10yrs

*yours (and your partners) Australian visa details from previous visits (if applicable)

*visa applicant - every job you have had since leaving school and dates of employment

*visa applicant - all qualifications and further education courses taken/obtained since leaving high school

*you (and your partner) every country visited in the last 10yrs even if only for a stop-over and the dates of these visits

*everyone on the visa application - the numbers of every passport you have been issued with/included on

*birth certificates, marriage cert, (if divorced - decree absolute), copies of the photo page of passports - all of these must be certified as true copies by a solicitor

*everyone on the visa application will need 2 passport photos for the visa; also adults and children aged 11+yrs 2 x passport photos for the visa medicals; children under 11yrs will need 1 x passport photo for the visa medical

*main visa applicant - certified copies of trade and qualification certificates; work references, employment history, appraisals (pretty much what was needed for the RAN application)

The visa forms needed for us were:

47ES - Application for employer sponsored migration to Australia (one copy)

1221 - Additional personal particulars information (one copy for main visa applicant)

80 - Personal particulars for character assessment (one copy for each person aged 18yrs+)

Forms can be found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/application-forms/forms_num1.htm

If anyone gets stuck filling in the forms or doesn't know what to put for a certain question, please ask and I'll try to help or direct you to someone that can. We were so very lucky to have my friend on hand, who had just completed and received their visas - it was all still fresh in her mind.

We also got our police checks done. Forms can printed off the internet http://www.acpo.police.uk/NationalPolicing/ACROCriminalRecordsOffice/PoliceCertificates.aspx and posted off. They are £35 per adult (£70 if you want the speedy service). The immigration police check for Australia is called an ACRO. These took around 12 days to get back. I sent them through Post Office next day signed for delivery, as copies of our driving licenses, passport photo pages and proof of address were in with the application. (*also DHL @ Staples will not deliver to a PO box address)

As Steve was due to be at sea (on&off) for maybe the next 6 months after we got the TOS, we decided to front load our medicals while he was home on leave (while we had the chance!). These were done 4.5 weeks after our TOS - which ended up being 8.5 weeks before getting the LA. The visa medicals are valid for 12 months only, so it's only recommended you get them if you are sure they'll still be in date when you leave for Australia. You must attend a DIAC approved panel doctor, these approved doctors/clinics can be found at http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/panel-doctors/

We went to the Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead The Bridge Clinic Home Page and they were lovely there. We were reassured to be told we'd passed our meds, while we were there. They were sent the next day to Sydney to wait until DIAC sorts out our visa.

For the visa meds you need to fill out forms too:

A registration form from the clinic you are attending

2 X passports photos per person (under 11yrs only 1 photo needed each)

And these forms from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/application-forms/forms_num1.htm

160 - Radiological report on chest x-ray of an applicant for an Australian visa (1 X each person 11+yrs)

26 - Medical examination for an Australian visa (1 X each person included on the visa)

Also have to tell you our amusing random story: At our visa medicals at The Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead, our three children, Steve and I were waiting in the waiting room and I noticed a chap come over to a table next to me to pick up a magazine, he looked at me and smiled. I thought 'Oh! I know him! It's. . .it's. . . . Rolf Harris!!!!' At a loss for words I ended up saying " Well Hello Mr Rolf Harris". Steve sat next to me reading a paper said he heard me say that and thought ' OMG she knows someone here (I always seem to see people I know in random places) and he's called Rolf Harris??' - he looked up and was amazed to discover it was actually THE Rolf Harris! ha ha

Ended up having a really nice chat with him. He was lovely and asked us where we were headed, when I told him Rockingham, he said he'd grown up in Rockingham and Fremantle and his Mum used to have a house in Rockingham.

Well, we didn't think we'd get a personal chat to Rolf at our Aussie visa meds that's for sure! lol

Apparently when we went in for our Xray's the nurse said he lives near to the clinic and he'd nipped in on the off chance they could give him a chest Xray but they'd had to put him off til the week after because our family were already booked in. Ooops!

Anyway best of luck to those still waiting for TOS's and LA's - the waiting is so stressful and frustrating but the elation at being able to move onto the next stage is great.

I think the thing I have found the most unsettling is that even now we are waiting to get the visa, this whole 'going to Australia' is not a definite yet and we have had this 'we won't be 100% defo going til we have the visas' feeling since we started this whole application process over a year ago.

Fingers crossed we'll get confirmation soon and then believe me it's going to be PARTY TIME!!!! :yes::jiggy:

Cheers

Liz x

Congtats on getting ur L/A I rememebr waiting for ours it was 5 months in total. They had had a problem with the goverment and the RAN. The forms have changed a bit since we filled ours in has they didnt want to know half of what they asked u.

The one thing u can do is get ur husband / wife whoever is in the Navy to get there DO, to sign all the paper work you do not need a solicitor that will cost u loads of money ur boss can do it for free. My husband got all of his done by his DO and they where fine, I know other people have done the same.

Also didnt put any stop overs on our paper work, and they never said a word, My husband forgot a place he had been and by that time he had sent it off. We never said a thing, being in the navy I think they understand that.

Like Liz said the sooner u can do things the better, there are things we wished we had done, but we got here in the end.

Just thought I would say dont get to stressed about it all everything falls into place.

They had the wrong DOB for my son on his visa, and they are meant to check everything over and over, my son was 3 on the visa, 10 years younger than is real age, why couldnt they do that to me lol

Guest JDOLAN3271
Hi, just wandering if anyone in the process of transferring from the R.N to the R.A.N.. We are in the process of doing it ourselves at the moment, and was just wandering if anyone else is out there in the same boat. :jiggy:

hi just at the visa stage got to get my step kids dad to sign to say they can go but there 17 and 18 so hopefully he will and we have said the kids can come back to england once they have there passports as its there life but to give it a try its only 2.5 years then they can come and go !!! just got my letter from RN to say i have no service liability so free to go yeah ha

Guest JDOLAN3271
Hello all

Contemplating whether to make the move, pensionable Oct 11. How long does the process take and when should I apply?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Just thought I'd give you an update on our progress and some info on the visa/meds forms needed (and appologies for the length of my post!)

We received our Labour Agreement/Nomination Approval (by email) yesterday and today I sent our all visa stuff off using DHL, in Staples. Yay!!

It's been a 13 week wait from receipt of the TOS, hopefully this next bit will be alot quicker. Especially as our meds have been waiting in Sydney since beginning Dec2010.

I would definately recommend for you to get the forms needed printed off from the DIAC website Department of Immigration & Citizenship and start filling them in as soon as you can. Some of the questions are quite troublesome to answer and you may need to go routing out old passports, CV's, trade certificates, etc.

For example some of the things you will need to know:

*all of yours (and your partners) family members full names, dates of birth, places of birth (children, parents, siblings, step-siblings - including the details of deceased relatives)

*yours (and your partners) addresses and dates where you have lived for the last 10yrs

*yours (and your partners) Australian visa details from previous visits (if applicable)

*visa applicant - every job you have had since leaving school and dates of employment

*visa applicant - all qualifications and further education courses taken/obtained since leaving high school

*you (and your partner) every country visited in the last 10yrs even if only for a stop-over and the dates of these visits

*everyone on the visa application - the numbers of every passport you have been issued with/included on

*birth certificates, marriage cert, (if divorced - decree absolute), copies of the photo page of passports - all of these must be certified as true copies by a solicitor

*everyone on the visa application will need 2 passport photos for the visa; also adults and children aged 11+yrs 2 x passport photos for the visa medicals; children under 11yrs will need 1 x passport photo for the visa medical

*main visa applicant - certified copies of trade and qualification certificates; work references, employment history, appraisals (pretty much what was needed for the RAN application)

The visa forms needed for us were:

47ES - Application for employer sponsored migration to Australia (one copy)

1221 - Additional personal particulars information (one copy for main visa applicant)

80 - Personal particulars for character assessment (one copy for each person aged 18yrs+)

Forms can be found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/appl...forms_num1.htm

If anyone gets stuck filling in the forms or doesn't know what to put for a certain question, please ask and I'll try to help or direct you to someone that can. We were so very lucky to have my friend on hand, who had just completed and received their visas - it was all still fresh in her mind.

We also got our police checks done. Forms can printed off the internet http://www.acpo.police.uk/NationalPo...tificates.aspx and posted off. They are £35 per adult (£70 if you want the speedy service). The immigration police check for Australia is called an ACRO. These took around 12 days to get back. I sent them through Post Office next day signed for delivery, as copies of our driving licenses, passport photo pages and proof of address were in with the application. (*also DHL @ Staples will not deliver to a PO box address)

As Steve was due to be at sea (on&off) for maybe the next 6 months after we got the TOS, we decided to front load our medicals while he was home on leave (while we had the chance!). These were done 4.5 weeks after our TOS - which ended up being 8.5 weeks before getting the LA. The visa medicals are valid for 12 months only, so it's only recommended you get them if you are sure they'll still be in date when you leave for Australia. You must attend a DIAC approved panel doctor, these approved doctors/clinics can be found at Contact Us

We went to the Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead The Bridge Clinic Home Page and they were lovely there. We were reassured to be told we'd passed our meds, while we were there. They were sent the next day to Sydney to wait until DIAC sorts out our visa.

For the visa meds you need to fill out forms too:

A registration form from the clinic you are attending

2 X passports photos per person (under 11yrs only 1 photo needed each)

And these forms from http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/appl...forms_num1.htm

160 - Radiological report on chest x-ray of an applicant for an Australian visa (1 X each person 11+yrs)

26 - Medical examination for an Australian visa (1 X each person included on the visa)

Also have to tell you our amusing random story: At our visa medicals at The Bridge Clinic, Maidenhead, our three children, Steve and I were waiting in the waiting room and I noticed a chap come over to a table next to me to pick up a magazine, he looked at me and smiled. I thought 'Oh! I know him! It's. . .it's. . . . Rolf Harris!!!!' At a loss for words I ended up saying " Well Hello Mr Rolf Harris". Steve sat next to me reading a paper said he heard me say that and thought ' OMG she knows someone here (I always seem to see people I know in random places) and he's called Rolf Harris??' - he looked up and was amazed to discover it was actually THE Rolf Harris! ha ha

Ended up having a really nice chat with him. He was lovely and asked us where we were headed, when I told him Rockingham, he said he'd grown up in Rockingham and Fremantle and his Mum used to have a house in Rockingham.

Well, we didn't think we'd get a personal chat to Rolf at our Aussie visa meds that's for sure! lol

Apparently when we went in for our Xray's the nurse said he lives near to the clinic and he'd nipped in on the off chance they could give him a chest Xray but they'd had to put him off til the week after because our family were already booked in. Ooops!

Anyway best of luck to those still waiting for TOS's and LA's - the waiting is so stressful and frustrating but the elation at being able to move onto the next stage is great.

I think the thing I have found the most unsettling is that even now we are waiting to get the visa, this whole 'going to Australia' is not a definite yet and we have had this 'we won't be 100% defo going til we have the visas' feeling since we started this whole application process over a year ago.

Fingers crossed we'll get confirmation soon and then believe me it's going to be PARTY TIME!!!!

this was posted by someone on here(but useful) but if your thinking of going it does take time about a year if it goes smooth other wise two years and if your in a branch they want am an AWT PO in plymouth should be in oz jun july 2011 just got wife kids medicals to go plus visa which takes time

First resettlement interview last week. Tx date 06 Jan 2013. I have emailed the email address Terry used RAN.OverseasRecruiting@defence.gov.au and have submitted an expression of interest with CV attached on the RAN website. This was last weekend. Have heard nothing back.

Does it generally take a while?

Hi and welcome, Terry is no longer there and someone else is dealing with things now. You need to give at least a month b4 u hear anything, they have a lot to do, and if I remember right they then have to inform someone else.

Just give it time they will get back to you

Anita and Dougie :biggrin:

Hi Frontstunt

It is now 2 lady's that are doing the lateral recruitment and as my wife says it already shows lol since things have been progressed with me to the point of having flights and removals and my pmkeys number all sorted and a new TOS drafted due to a change in rank for my self :) any way i hope you hear back soon it gets very nerve racking near the end but now every thing is in the bag i am not so worried now.

First resettlement interview last week. Tx date 06 Jan 2013. I have emailed the email address Terry used RAN.OverseasRecruiting@defence.gov.au and have submitted an expression of interest with CV attached on the RAN website. This was last weekend. Have heard nothing back.

Does it generally take a while?

Hi Frontstunt,

We heard back quite quickly from Terry George. The new ladies have only just fully handed over from Terry George, so this could be why you haven't heard back yet. The lady in charge of Sailors is Wendy Hughes and the lady in charge of Officers is now Vanessa Powers.

We are dealing with Wendy Hughes and have no complaints whatsoever, she has been excellent now we are onto the visa stage, lots of emails with feedback (which is pure heaven after weeks of no news).

Hope you hear back soon, I remember that first bit was horrendous - you just want to know whether you're in with a chance of applying! Although, each stage after that is as equally stressful to be honest! :eek:

If you would like me to email you the application forms that you'll be sent if they need your branch and are interested in you, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward them to you - we got ours early from a good samaritan (Adam) on here and it was great because there's quite a few things you need to collate - also when the RAN send you the official forms/email you'll be ready to send everything straight off :biggrin:

Cheers

Liz x

Guest penguin

Hi, sorry if this seems a dim question, but do the RAN have a jobs list that they are seeking to fill, as my husband is a pilot in the RN and we may be keen to transfer over if possible. Thanks

Archived