transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Guest gavnicjacflo

front,

I am also a CPOETWESM if you look on JPA cpood scoow and panel watching quals should be there if not see powtr and he can get them put on JPA for you. DFTSR there aint no formal qual for it I used the panel qual for it and RAN where happy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi can anyone help me....

Just before i sell all my RN uniform on Ebay (only joking) or bin it.

Is there any of it worth keeping for the RAN,

My Husband bought all of his anmd wish he never had been here 2 years and none of it is any good at all :biggrin:

Guest jeffner1974

hi,

i have a slightly off topic question for you.

we have our applications in and are currently just waiting for a "yay!" or "nay!" from RAN meanwhile we are trying to look into what we need to do, when the "yay"comes in (PMA!)

however i'm a bit concerend about our large dog, we are intending on taking him over but not sure about the housing. any of the private rental properties we have looked at (just out of curiosity) have had a no pets or no large pets policy.

has anyone taken or in the process of taking their pets over and living in rental property be it private or through RAN housing, has it been a problem?

thanks in advance

jen x

hi,

we have our applications in and are currently just waiting for a "yay!" or "nay!" from RAN meanwhile we are trying to look into what we need to do, when the "yay"comes in (PMA!)

however i'm a bit concerend about our large dog, we are intending on taking him over but not sure about the housing. any of the private rental properties we have looked at (just out of curiosity) have had a no pets or no large pets policy.

has anyone taken or in the process of taking their pets over and living in rental property be it private or through RAN housing, has it been a problem?

thanks in advance

jen x

Bring the dog, there isnt any great issue finding a married quarter with pets...not so easy with private rentals but i wouldnt plan on doing that as soon as you arrive anyway. We have been here a year (Army lateral), and our black lab is loving it, gets a bit warm for him some days but then he just goes and lays under a fan.

Check how much it costs to get your dog over here tho, RAN won't pay for it and it isnt cheap

Guest jeffner1974

cheers ericfish,

he's coming anyway even if i have to sleep in a tent with him (or oh has too thats what i really mean!!)

i know what you mean about the cost!!! did you do it through an agency? if so do you mind me asking what one? oh thinks we should look into doing it ourselves but it looks way too complicated.

how did your dog cope with quarantine! any issues there?

thanks again,

jen x

Theres a huge thread somewhere all about transporting pets.

We used Petair, had heard good stuff about them and they are all very similiar pricing. Had to organise a lot of the vet stuff ourselves just cos of distance (firm was based in Wiltshire, we were in Plymouth), but they took us thru it step by step and the local vet had someone who was expert in export paperwork.

All very easy actually, worrying when he jetted off, apparantly he was a bit grumpy in quarantine, we payed extra for him to be excercised, and then he turned up 30 days later looking good and bouncing like a puppy again

hi,

thanks in advance

jen x

Hi I brought my dog with me a American bulldog x. We have been here over 2 years, and yes there are MQ that take dogs and there are a lot that do not take them.

We also looked at private houses and most houses do take pets but they will say that they are outside dogs.

There was no way I would have left my dog in the uk, I have a tent u can use if all else fails lol

Good luck if there is anything you need to know just ask.

:biggrin:

Hi,

You will find that DHA (Navy rental housing) will accept pets once permission has been granted. Permission is done by paperwork signed by the tenants promising that their Dog will not be a nuisance to the neighbours. etc

We brought our Jack Russell over and had to follow that process

Regards

Liam

Hi,

You will find that DHA (Navy rental housing) will accept pets once permission has been granted. Permission is done by paperwork signed by the tenants promising that their Dog will not be a nuisance to the neighbours. etc

We brought our Jack Russell over and had to follow that process

Regards

Liam

Not all in Sydney take dogs, SORRY

Guest Ironduke
Had an email from Immigration this morning saying that our visa's had been approved - decisions, decisions?

What decision? I'm intrigued

Had an email from Immigration this morning saying that our visa's had been approved - decisions, decisions?

Congratulations on your visa :wink:

Out of interest do you know how many weeks it took to be granted, we're still waiting for a Yes - they've had our money for 3 weeks now - sick of checking the email every morning and seeing nothing.

What decisions do you mean? Where to stay on your stop-over or whether to still go at all?

Anyway, all the best with your decisions and your move.

Liz

Guest Ironduke
Congratulations on your visa :wink:

Out of interest do you know how many weeks it took to be granted, we're still waiting for a Yes - they've had our money for 3 weeks now - sick of checking the email every morning and seeing nothing.

What decisions do you mean? Where to stay on your stop-over or whether to still go at all?

Anyway, all the best with your decisions and your move.

Liz

We were told by the travel firm its either Singapore, Hong Kong or Bankok but since we would be going to Perth Singers was the only choice. They sent hotel info and they were all 4 star, of course trip advisor comes in handy when picking! We've had to take the foot off the acccelerator on the travel though - embassy said we were jumping the gun, although they were the ones who told us to contact them! Anyway the 'hire' signal goes out next month and then we will have all the info in place to book everything.

Hope your approval comes in soon - I shouldn't worry too much as they soon get in touch if there is a problem

Guest mrsshep

Hi everyone!

We are just starting the application process. Literally have just contacted the RAN as they are looking for hubbys branch.

I know its OH job first then Visa stuff and the whole thing takes 18mth-2 yrs.

Has anyone done a thread with the whole process,just wondering what happens next?

We have 3 children 13,8 and 4 and a springer :o)

Thanks..

Guest Navyref
Hi everyone!

We are just starting the application process. Literally have just contacted the RAN as they are looking for hubbys branch.

I know its OH job first then Visa stuff and the whole thing takes 18mth-2 yrs.

Has anyone done a thread with the whole process,just wondering what happens next?

We have 3 children 13,8 and 4 and a springer :o)

Thanks..

Hi, welcome to the site, if you have a look at my signature it will give you an indication of turn round times.

Good luck!

Guest mrsshep

Thanks, that seems fairly quick then. Im sure time will fly by. Im already looking at the area and schools etc! :biggrin:

Guest gavnicjacflo
Thanks, that seems fairly quick then. Im sure time will fly by. Im already looking at the area and schools etc! :biggrin:

Don't be fooled time does not fly by, we have been waiting about 7mths for TOS, since application, there are Navy meds for your OH to do inbetween that time. We are hoping to go out in Jan 2012, hope we get TOS soon, you will have a love/hate relationship with your laptop checking emails everyday. Hope it all works out well for you

Nic:wacko:

Guest gavnicjacflo

Navy ref, we are all still intrigued, are you having second thoughts or do you mean where to live, schools if you need them etc

Guest mrsshep

:err: I am well used to that love hate relationship with my emails and getting my finger stuck to the refresh key - as my OH is a submariner! lol same old! :biggrin:

Guest Navyref
Navy ref, we are all still intrigued, are you having second thoughts or do you mean where to live, schools if you need them etc

Yeah, decisions, decisions, up until now we've only looked lightly into the areas to live, schools for the children etc. etc. Are we correct in understanding that we now can get an official number (PMS Keys) that will enable us to request assistance from DHA and give us the ability to browse for housing? Help, from those on the ground, for areas would be grateful.

Regarding the flight, we are looking at doing it with no-stopovers, do the RAN compensate you with recovery days at the end of the journey, in lieu of not taking a stop-over? Is it advisable to take a stop-over, considering this is added to the bond?

Guest Ironduke
Yeah, decisions, decisions, up until now we've only looked lightly into the areas to live, schools for the children etc. etc. Are we correct in understanding that we now can get an official number (PMS Keys) that will enable us to request assistance from DHA and give us the ability to browse for housing? Help, from those on the ground, for areas would be grateful.

Regarding the flight, we are looking at doing it with no-stopovers, do the RAN compensate you with recovery days at the end of the journey, in lieu of not taking a stop-over? Is it advisable to take a stop-over, considering this is added to the bond?

I'm right in the middle of doing the DHA thing...once you get your pmkeys number you can start progressing with it. I tried going on their website and even set up a log in but it didn't show me a thing. So I emailed their helpdesk and they contacted the Perth office who sent me a form to fill in (electronically). I haven't had a reply to the form yet but they said once they have it I'll be able to browse their housing stock. So I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't sent a query to their helpdesk?

The RAN desk should contact the embassy in London who will in turn send you an email with a lot of info about what happens next including travel arrangements. I went ahead and contacted the travel agents and they sent me the options but they were pushing me for dates and obviously until the RAN release the joining up or 'hire' signal you don't really know the dates! The embassy even have a caveat that says they can change your date slightly if they think they can get the flights cheaper. Stop overs are a personal choice, you are entitled to two 'rest days' for the length of journey, i think I read you can change them so that you can have longer at the other end, I'm going to go with the stopover just to destress the journey a bit.

Cheers

Oh god homefind is a pain in the butt, we had our PMKeys No for about 5 months before we came out and in that whole time their was only 2 houses on their and neither were what we wanted so we waited till we got here ( I would personally advise anyone who is coming over to choose when you arrive as what you see on the commp google earth etc may not be what you see in real life) anyway we waitied and waited and as you have the rental when you get here their is no rush to choose a home i think you can stay in the rental for 6 weeks and over if you wish, anyway no DHA homes became available for us so we had to private rent, its a pain in the butt house inspectons every 6 week, the real estate agent is a cow and to be honest its not worth the hassel couple that up with having to pay a bond and 2 months rent up front and its not worth it

I would take a DHA home any day over a private rent.

I didnt get to look at houses until we got here and was pleased about that, it gave us the chance to have a good look around.

The flight we did not have a stop over we flew straight to Oz they gave us 2 days extra b4 we had to do anything. we where happy with that.

Schools are another thing u will need to wait until u get here one school might be good for and not for another.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Guest Ironduke

Financial

Hows everyone getting on over there financially? I don't need figures, just seeen a couple of threads on here and on other sites which have made me sit up and pay attention. So if you are on a PO's wage and DHA renting or similar, with a couple of kids - are you finding it a breeze or watching the pennies. And I mean this on just my wages, that way I know we'll be alright without having to worry if 'er indoors gets a job or not. Can't think why I've never asked before, just assumed that if they are paying me more than my old Chiefs wage, which I spent comfortably, then I'd be in clover in Oz!

Cheers

Archived