transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, sorry if this seems a dim question, but do the RAN have a jobs list that they are seeking to fill, as my husband is a pilot in the RN and we may be keen to transfer over if possible. Thanks

Hi Penguin,

Here is a link to the RAN overseas recruitment page:

Recruitment Centre | Defence Jobs

If you search around their website there is a list of priority occupations too.

Also there is an expression of interest form on this site, if you fill this in and press send, they will get back to you with an indication of whether your branch is needed or not.

Go for it - if you don't ask you'll never know whether it's a possibility!

Best of Luck

Liz x

Hi sneeze

What date are you flying out. And have you had your removals survey carried out. We are just waiting for Brian to get a letter in regard to not being recalled by the rn. Then we can email over the forms to get our pmkeys. It's all moving a bit quick now. Good luck to everyone going this year.

Gill, Brian, harry & islie

Hi islie

We are flying out on the 10th of may so looking fwd to that. we had our survey done a few weeks back so its all very real also i have got the waiver scanned and emailed to them if you are having a snag getting the waiver i have the address and number for the person you need to contact just send me a message. and yes it is all starting to move very fast i think i have seen a lot more communication's since the 2 new lady's started witch tbh i am happy with means less to worry about as they are always keeping you updated. the one thing i will let you know is the employee preference form for the pmkeys number it says you need certified certificates. so i was like wtf never mind went about getting everything certified and scanned witch became a nightmare btw then i got a mail back saying thanks for been so thourgh but you dont need them all certified lol so don't get anything certified just fill it in scan and send back gave me something to do since i am on leave and about to start resettlement. anyway good luck everyone

i think i have seen a lot more communication's since the 2 new lady's started witch tbh i am happy with means less to worry about as they are always keeping you updated. the one thing i will let you know is the employee preference form for the pmkeys number it says you need certified certificates. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but you dont need them all certified lol so don't get anything certified just fill it in scan and send back

Hi there,

Yes got to agree with you about the new ladies, they do seem on the ball, we have had information emailed that we haven't had to beg for. I think just some reassuring communication makes this whole process so much easier :yes:

Also thanks for the heads up on not getting everything for the preference form certified - that's my next job and I would have been off to the solicitors tomorrow :wink: you've saved me a trip and £2 per certified item!

Frustration here in that DHL attempted delivery of our visa paperwork in Sydney yesterday but the tracking report said: 'Delivery attempted - recipient not home' - NO SH*T???!!! they tried to deliver to the visa offices at 08:14am!!!! It doesn't open 'til 09:00am :arghh:

Todays tracking report reads : 'Shipment on hold'. Which means, they put a card through the door yesterday and are waiting for the visa office to re-arrange delivery and I don't think they're going to be calling DHL to re-arrange that!?

SO! I have rang DHL tonight and arranged re-delivery from this end, charming and helpful lady on the phone and fingers crossed it will get there tomorrow.

So annoying, knowing that the package made it to outside the doors of the visa offices but no-one was there to accept it! :wacko:

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Happy Valentines :wubclub:

Liz

Guest Ironduke

Hi all great to see so much activity after what seems a long time.

I've been told we'll be flying out on 6th June 2011 - anybody else going? (we can't be the only ones can we?)

I must admit I haven't found the process all that stressfull although I certainly took my time by starting 2 years before my TX date from the RN. Looks like I'll be going to Perth and I've got a couple of contacts who have been feeding me great info on getting Tax file numbersw (like our NI number), registering for medicare and the all important tax guy who claims it all back for you (didn't know you can claim for sunglasses and suncream - brilliant)

I've been trying to contact the ladies at Whale Island who dish out the reserve service waivers but had no answer after 2 weeks trying, anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Hi all great to see so much activity after what seems a long time.

I've been told we'll be flying out on 6th June 2011 - anybody else going? (we can't be the only ones can we?)

I must admit I haven't found the process all that stressfull although I certainly took my time by starting 2 years before my TX date from the RN. Looks like I'll be going to Perth and I've got a couple of contacts who have been feeding me great info on getting Tax file numbersw (like our NI number), registering for medicare and the all important tax guy who claims it all back for you (didn't know you can claim for sunglasses and suncream - brilliant)

I've been trying to contact the ladies at Whale Island who dish out the reserve service waivers but had no answer after 2 weeks trying, anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Dont worry about the waiver you can do it when u get here.

You also need to look into a lot of things when you get here. You can only claim the tax back on things that u buy, like sunglasses, and sun cream u shouldnt ever have to buy it the navy leave it out for u take.

But U need to get a tax adviser to sort that out and you wont need one until june 2012 .

Hope everything goes well for u. Did you want to go to Perth ? I know a lot of people there and they all love it . :biggrin:

Guest Ironduke
Dont worry about the waiver you can do it when u get here.

You also need to look into a lot of things when you get here. You can only claim the tax back on things that u buy, like sunglasses, and sun cream u shouldnt ever have to buy it the navy leave it out for u take.

But U need to get a tax adviser to sort that out and you wont need one until june 2012 .

Hope everything goes well for u. Did you want to go to Perth ? I know a lot of people there and they all love it . :biggrin:

Hi Anita,

I was hoping to sort a lot out beforehand only because I'm trying to do a personal import with my motorbike (well scooter but I know the keyword will help someone) and its proving easier to import a person than a bloody machine! Believe it or not I even need points to get eligibilty for it but most of those points come from actually being in - country. Oh well glad everyone is enjoying Perth, I was a bit iffy about it being described as the most isolated city in the world in a country that seems a bit isolated! Are you renting or buying out there, apparently the rental assistance is quite good? I followed a link to it from a mate in Perth and I see that you can even get mortgage payments - what a lovely country!

All the Best

Adam

Hi Ironduke,

I got my reserve waiver from Melanie Robinson at Whale Island, the contact details I have for her are:

Phone: 02392 62 8742

Mil: 93832 8742

Fax: 02392 62 5625

E-mail: melanie.robinson155@mod.uk

She was really helpful and very prompt with the replies, I had one twice as I brought forward my transfer date by 2 months. When I was in discussion with Australia house in April/May last year, they informed me that I had to be 100% discharged from the RN, including any reserve liability BEFORE I would be able to sign on in London. I had to scan in and e-mail the revised waiver and also took the hard copy with me to Aus house. The system changes constantly and the best source for information if you have any difficulties would be Aus House (I had Georgia Watts who was very helpful).

Cannot speak highly enough of Natalie Chee at pickfords and the guys that packed up our house, they made what can be a very stressful time actually fairly light hearted.

All the best

Chris

Hi Anita,

I was hoping to sort a lot out beforehand only because I'm trying to do a personal import with my motorbike (well scooter but I know the keyword will help someone) and its proving easier to import a person than a bloody machine! Believe it or not I even need points to get eligibilty for it but most of those points come from actually being in - country. Oh well glad everyone is enjoying Perth, I was a bit iffy about it being described as the most isolated city in the world in a country that seems a bit isolated! Are you renting or buying out there, apparently the rental assistance is quite good? I followed a link to it from a mate in Perth and I see that you can even get mortgage payments - what a lovely country!

All the Best

Adam

Hi Adam

we have a dha house 4 bed not as big as my own house was in the uk but you dont spend as much time in it here.

You can rent private but what with u going to Perth u shouldnt need to go private, I only know of one person thats done it. They have loads of 4 beds over there.

I know one person that had there.s bought over from the Uk I know it cost them a lot of money but they did it once they were here.

Perth is very nice but like u said its a big place. We live in Sydney and wouldnt move from here, we are Sydney siders, we have settled in so well, after being here 2 and bit years it just feels like home.

The Mortgage thing is great they pay so much of it for you, some thing RN woud never do. We will look into it when the time is right.

Hope everything goes well for u

Anita :biggrin:

is anyone having snags getting in touch with Whale Island. i eventually spoke to Mel Robinson after 5 hours of ringing her on monday, and she said Gail Brooker her secretary would deal with me and phone me today.

been ringing her since 10am this morning (its now 3pm) and noone is there!

is there a specific day and time to speak to these people......

has anyone else in the same boat?

and yes Iron duke were flying out on the 7th June 11

Guest Ironduke

Yes I agree, I've tried every day and all I get is an answering machine and never a call back, I'm now trying emails to both - must be stressful looking after reserves!

is anyone having snags getting in touch with Whale Island. i eventually spoke to Mel Robinson after 5 hours of ringing her on monday, and she said Gail Brooker her secretary would deal with me and phone me today.

been ringing her since 10am this morning (its now 3pm) and noone is there!

is there a specific day and time to speak to these people......

has anyone else in the same boat?

and yes Iron duke were flying out on the 7th June 11

ironduke

hi mate just after my rant, i decided to ring mel robinson and she said the secretary has been off again today with tooth probs :(

anyway after i spoke to her she emailed me asking me to post a copy of my job offer for her records and she will send me the waiver form. isent them too;

cdr mel robinson

room 106

west battery

whale island

portsmouth

po2 8by

Guest SuzannePaul

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum, and already I have managed to gain some top information and advice from you all! (Police checks etc and medicals all booked)

My hubby is due to Join Aug 11 and will be posted at NOWRA.

We have now received our LA and are in the process of completing the 47ENS. I am a little confused as the application only requires us to return the usual birth certificates, police checks, marriage certs etc and elsewhere on this forum other forms are mentioned. For example the 1221 (addtl personal particulars) and 80 (Personal Particulars for character assessment). Are these forms further on down the line then?

I'm just a bit of a worrier, and don't want to miss out something important as the timescales for us are quite tight. (Our house has to go on the market and everything yet!!)

Also, another blonde question (no offence to blondes, I am one), how much is the visa? We have looked on line and it talks about initial payments etc. We are a family of four, so I assume we pay the once for all of us (if not we will have to get the house sold pretty quickly!)

Thanks for your help.

Suzanne

Hi Everyone,

For example the 1221 (addtl personal particulars) and 80 (Personal Particulars for character assessment). Are these forms further on down the line then?. . . . . .

. . . . . . how much is the visa?

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne and Paul,

Congratulations on your LA :biggrin: We are going to WA in August too.

In answer to your questions about the extra forms - everyone seems to be asked for them at some point, so think it's best if you include them in with your 47ES, we have gone for giving them as much info and stuff as we can, hopefully then we won't be asked for anything else. My friends took this approach and got their visa granted within a week.

We have paid £1735 (approx £1086) for the visa which is the 1st installment fee listed in form 990i. (this is what our friends paid and the amount that immi have taken from us)

We have had terrible trouble paying the visa. They tried to take it from Steve's credit card but it has a credit limit of £1000 and as the exchange rate on the day took the fee over that, the payment was declined. Steve asked his credit card if we could pay cash into the card to top it up for the payment - they said that they no longer offer that service to their customers - doh!!! So I tried to pay using my Natwest Visa debit card - payment rejected - because they only take Visa Credit card payments and not Visa Debit!!!!! Grrrrrrr :arghh:

So we have now split the bill in half and have paid the fee using two separate credit cards - our fingers are crossed that on Monday morning (Sydney time = GMT+11hrs ) they will take the payment and all will be good. The annoying thing is, that we have the cash in the bank but just don't seem to be able to get it to them!

Anyway, hope you get on OK filling in your forms and if you need any help, just shout :smile:

Take care

Liz x

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi suzanne and Paul, we are at the same stage as you and we too are going to Nowra in August :biggrin:

Maybe we can swap notes if we get stuck and help each other out, although everyone on here has lots of knowledge and are really helpful.

What is your husband going to be doing, and where in the uk are you from?

Claire

Guest SuzannePaul

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm sure that I'll have lots more questions.

It has been really helpful and comforting seeing other people progress through the system and finally get there!

It's the long periods where nothing seems to happen when we can't quite believe we are going!

Suzanne x

Guest Ironduke
ironduke

hi mate just after my rant, i decided to ring mel robinson and she said the secretary has been off again today with tooth probs :(

anyway after i spoke to her she emailed me asking me to post a copy of my job offer for her records and she will send me the waiver form. isent them too;

cdr mel robinson

room 106

west battery

whale island

portsmouth

po2 8by

Whale Island is back in business, just received a call and should have the waiver in a couple of days

Guest Ironduke
Just received the waiver letter by email and other copy in the post. Emailed forms and waiver to aus what happens next anyone.

Got the waiver yesterday and emailed a scanned copy off, don't suppose anything will happen until after the weekend. I suppose PMkeys number comes next, not too bothered at looking at service accom as I hear none of them come with a pool, but that could change if to expensive, heard we get about $400-500 a week with rental assistance - anyone confirm that?

Cheers

Got the waiver yesterday and emailed a scanned copy off, don't suppose anything will happen until after the weekend. I suppose PMkeys number comes next, not too bothered at looking at service accom as I hear none of them come with a pool, but that could change if to expensive, heard we get about $400-500 a week with rental assistance - anyone confirm that?

Cheers

If there are houses by the dha available u will have to take it they will not let u go RA just because u want to. And u wont get that much a week towards ur rent u might get that a month. Well they dont give u that much in Sydney and house prices are twice as much as what they are in Perth. A friend of ours is using his pension to aff:biggrin:ord what hes got private and thats not even got a pool

Cheers

Hiya

Their are hardly any rentals available over here at the min, wwe arrived in jan and nothing so we had to go rental assist its good but their are downsides i.e they wont pay your bond for you unless you have a tax file number which you cant get till your here, The rent they pay for you is 185 per week, and you have a ceiling rent too so your not supposed to go about that ours was 389.

Oh and trying to get a rental if they have any DHA ones available take it because for every ouse that is on the open market to be rented about 10 - 15 couples will go view it at the same time as you and most will put in applications for it,

the rental market here is completly different from the uk, their are so many after rental and not enough up for rental we applied for our along with 9 other couples all which had reference etc, what we had to do was double the bond and then pay 6 months rent upfront,

Hope this helps a little

Oh and before i forget not many houses here have pools that are for rent and when they do expect to see double the amount of applications we went to see one with a pool the house itself was well ugly the rent was high but it had a pool they had over 40 applications for it But good luck :wubclub:

Archived