transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

W:no:ell another weekend over and back to checking the emails every morning hoping for some news. Hopefully this is the week. Fingers crossed.

OMG!!! You must be going out of your minds by now - you've had to wait a ridiculously long time :notworthy:

Fingers and toes crossed that you get THE email this week.

Hang in there!:hug:

Liz and Steve

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
W:no:ell another weekend over and back to checking the emails every morning hoping for some news. Hopefully this is the week. Fingers crossed.

How long have u been waiting ? We waited 5 months for for our visa, due to the goverment and the navy not sorting the labour agree out and the navy letting it run out.

I know what its like to keep waiting and all u do is check ur emails.

Just hang in there it will turn up :biggrin:

Guest gavnicjacflo
How long have u been waiting ? We waited 5 months for for our visa, due to the goverment and the navy not sorting the labour agree out and the navy letting it run out.

I know what its like to keep waiting and all u do is check ur emails.

Just hang in there it will turn up :biggrin:

we had our interview on Dec 10 and they said we would hear after christmas but we're still waiting i know they have had issues with getting medicals signed off in perth but hopefully thats been sorted now. So fingers crossed and toes crossed we might hear this week but Wendy only works mon thur fri.:unsure:

Hi,

I've had read through to see if I could find the answer to my question but couldn't see it.

I have received my TOS and sent it back and received my Labour Agreement however I'm not sure when to start the visa application part inc, Medicals and police checks. I have a joining date of Aug 12 so don't want to do anything to early.

Thanks for any help!!

Hi,

I've had read through to see if I could find the answer to my question but couldn't see it.

I have received my TOS and sent it back and received my Labour Agreement however I'm not sure when to start the visa application part inc, Medicals and police checks. I have a joining date of Aug 12 so don't want to do anything to early.

Thanks for any help!!

Hi and wecome.

I had to think about this for a while and remember how we did it. Your medicals only last a year also the police checks plus the visa must used within a year.

I would wait until the end of august and go and get ur medicals and police checks.

Once u have got these send off for ur visa send everything at the same time.

We didnt do it that way as we where informed to do it a different way, it then caused a delay of a long 5 months for us, with no sleep for a long time... All turned out ok in the end but lack of sleep was a nightmare.

Hope this helps and if u need anymore advice just ask, always loads of people on here to give u good advice :biggrin:

Anita and Dougie

Guest Ironduke
Hi,

Thanks for any help!!

Hi

I presume you mean August 2012 not August the 12th? Otherwise you've got a lot to do! Anita's right, the yard stick will always be the 12 month longevity of medicals and police checks, however there's nothing stopping you having a look at the visa paperwork and making a start on it as you can print off a form and hand write it, altering it as you get nearer submitting it.

The Lateral Recruitment team also should give a heads up a bit nearer the time

Good Luck, hope it goes well!

Guest jeffner1974
Hi,

Thanks for any help!!

hi,

we're almost in the same position as reggie. OH got an email last night saying that he was being recommended for POET SM pending them receiving medical stuff. which is in hand and all good. so not quite official yet but heading the right way (still keeping everything crossed though). so i'm looking to get a head start on stuff.where do i start???? what forms should i be downloading and where do i find them. so i can start looking out information required ect. any help in this would be great. l know this will no doubt have been answered on here before but cant fight my way back through all the posts :biggrin:.

thanks in advance

jen x

Guest Ironduke

Hi Jen,

I'm just going through the move so replies will be sporadic!

Here's a couple of links to get you started, the first one: http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ puts you on to the Immigration (known as 'immy') website's visa wizard. If you answer as if you were the main applicant (the person being sponsored by the RAN) you should end up being informed you should apply for a visa subclass ENS121. Some of the questions may be a bit confusing, eg you are being sponsored by an employer / you are on the skills shortage list / you are seeking to work in Australia with permanent residency

The main form you need is stated amongst all the info on there but here is a direct link to save you time:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47es.pdf

As you'll see there's plenty of info but you can't proceed with the application until the RAN apply for sponsorship, which should be just around when they send you your TOR's (terms of reference - a job offer basically)

There is a lot of waiting about, personally it didn't bother me as I treated it as an interesting sideline and to be honest I kept them waiting a few times. I concentrated on resettlement and finding an UK job so that if the Oz thing fell through it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'll be honest and say I doubt if I'll visit the site as much as I did - I'm nearly there now and there will be plenty of new applicants on here helping each other out with more up to date info than I have!

All the Best

Guest jeffner1974

thanks very much fo that info, much appreciated.

oh, def under no illusion that this is a waiting game. been waiting 7years already before we could even start applying. oh is out rn in august this year so ,like you said, he is going through the resettlement process like we were staying in the uk (you never know whats going to happen) and work away at the oz thing as it happens. they certainly dont rush anything do they lol!

thanks again and good luck with the rest of your move

jen x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest25493

here is an important/useful insurance you may want to consider taking out

http://www.kinsure.co.uk

it is an insurance that will pay and arrange our flights back to the UK if a close relative should pass away or become seriously ill..175 pound per year for a family. something i wish I hadtaken out before,as my step dad suddenly passed away in october, and there was no way we could all afford our flights back at such short notice.

here is an important/useful insurance you may want to consider taking out http://www.kinsure.co.ukit is an insurance that will pay and arrange our flights back to the UK if a close relative should pass away or become seriously ill..175 pound per year for a family. something i wish I hadtaken out before,as my step dad suddenly passed away in october, and there was no way we could all afford our flights back at such short notice.

Thanks for that, defo going to look into it :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drh123
No idea as I've never had a MQ but my contribution is about $200 a week but also getting paid a shed load more for less rank and resposibility

This is very true, but don't be fooled!!!!

The RAN are very old school, your a bum on the seat and they don't care for you or your future once your here. They will quite happily work you into the ground!!! Oh and don't think about trying to put in place any good ideas as they will get shot down by the old boys club. It is very unprofessional and it's a big shock when you see how dangerous most things are.

I love my life in Oz, I won't come back to the UK as my life is better overall. But please don't think that the RAN is any better than the RN as it's definitely worse with most RN guys itching to leave.

Not grumpy just slightly perplexed!!!

This is very true, but don't be fooled!!!!

The RAN are very old school, your a bum on the seat and they don't care for you or your future once your here. They will quite happily work you into the ground!!! Oh and don't think about trying to put in place any good ideas as they will get shot down by the old boys club. It is very unprofessional and it's a big shock when you see how dangerous most things are.

I love my life in Oz, I won't come back to the UK as my life is better overall. But please don't think that the RAN is any better than the RN as it's definitely worse with most RN guys itching to leave.

Not grumpy just slightly perplexed!!!

Well said its about time someone opened there eyes on here. The navy in Australia is 30 years behind the UK. Your just not allowed to use ur brain in the navy here.

Beautiful country and people love the life but not the navy :biggrin:

Guest guest25493

If your coming over, please remember a few things!!!!!

This magical country is NOT yours.

Do not complain about the decision you made, you made it for a reason, remember the reason and make the most of it.

If you cant find anything to do, then you are not looking hard enough as there is whole new world outside your door.

You will NOT agree with everything in this country, but it will NOT be changed for you.

If you think this is England, you are truely mistaken.

We do not want this to be like England, I like everyone else left England for a reason, remember this reason and remind yourself of it always.

I wake every morning, thinking how lucky I am to be given such a great chance in life, only I can make the most of it. I have 1 chance to make it work, and I will make it work as I made the decision to come to another country and be the immigrant.

I hope everyone makes the most of this article, I know you may not all approve, but to me, its the truth. Some may not like it, some will agree, to be honest, Im not too bothered.

A famous saying in the Navy, ' there are no bad runs, only bad runners', take from this what you will.

Guest Ironduke

Been here a couple of days so here's a quick practical heads up if you are on your way over:

1. If you're not entitled to a hire car organise one before you come as Perth seems to shut down over the weekend, or email your RAN contact and tell him you want to organise one before they shut. You don't want to be working out bus timetables at this early stage! Not a problem if you come over during the week.

2. You have no history or ID any more so doing a simple thing like get a mobile phone can be difficult as they want a proof of address as does the licence changing people (you do have 3 months to organise it but its a great 'acceptable' ID). You are ok if you agreed a DHA rental before you came out as the letter they send with your new address and name on was accepted ny the phone company and Licensing!

3. Car licence - see above - its in McNicholl Street in Rockingham, you walk in and take a ticket and if you have the right docs takes about half an hour, you get a temporary licence there and then, cost me $150 (5 year licence). You need proof of address and passport as well as old licence (photocard) and fil in the form while you wait.

4. Strictly speaking you need a bank statement from your Aussie bank to get a phone on contract (called post-paid here) but they let me through with a nod and a wink when I showed my RAN contract, my original appointment for sorting bank cards was set for the tuesday (after a friday touchdown) but found a local branch in Rockingham and started the process on the Friday, pick up cards today as well as now having proof of bank details.

5. make sure you tell your credit card issuer you are travelling! Had to use cash as the deposit in Hong Kong and for hire car here as card issuer security kicked in when my movements must have looked dodgy!

6. So glad I pre-booked the house, exactly as it looked on google earth and as friends described - however do your research as I'm sure the people who have had a bad experience will soon let you know

7. Don't know about work yet as have only been on the base to get ID card (instant!) and have a look around but impressed with facilities for recreation (cinema, huge pool) everything looks modern and in better nick than RN, great help from RAN contact (invaluable)

Cheers

Guest drh123
If your coming over, please remember n such a great chance in life, only I can make the most of it. I have 1 chance to make it work, and I will make it work as I made the decision to come to another country and be the immigrant.

I hope everyone makes the most of this article, I know you may not all approve, but to me, its the truth. Some may not like it, some will agree, to be honest, Im not too bothered.

A famous saying in the Navy, ' there are no bad runs, only bad runners', take from this what you will.

Nice of you to quote another post of mine. However, I this is in condemnation of my other post then please read them both carefully. You will find the wording and the situation they are aimed for are completely different.

Find your heart and the truth will be complete. I'm not complaining about my decision just merely hoping others are not walking into something they are not prepared for.

Been here a couple of days so here's a quick practical heads up if you are on your way over:

1. If you're not entitled to a hire car organise one before you come as Perth seems to shut down over the weekend, or email your RAN contact and tell him you want to organise one before they shut. You don't want to be working out bus timetables at this early stage! Not a problem if you come over during the week.

2. You have no history or ID any more so doing a simple thing like get a mobile phone can be difficult as they want a proof of address as does the licence changing people (you do have 3 months to organise it but its a great 'acceptable' ID). You are ok if you agreed a DHA rental before you came out as the letter they send with your new address and name on was accepted ny the phone company and Licensing!

3. Car licence - see above - its in McNicholl Street in Rockingham, you walk in and take a ticket and if you have the right docs takes about half an hour, you get a temporary licence there and then, cost me $150 (5 year licence). You need proof of address and passport as well as old licence (photocard) and fil in the form while you wait.

4. Strictly speaking you need a bank statement from your Aussie bank to get a phone on contract (called post-paid here) but they let me through with a nod and a wink when I showed my RAN contract, my original appointment for sorting bank cards was set for the tuesday (after a friday touchdown) but found a local branch in Rockingham and started the process on the Friday, pick up cards today as well as now having proof of bank details.

5. make sure you tell your credit card issuer you are travelling! Had to use cash as the deposit in Hong Kong and for hire car here as card issuer security kicked in when my movements must have looked dodgy!

6. So glad I pre-booked the house, exactly as it looked on google earth and as friends described - however do your research as I'm sure the people who have had a bad experience will soon let you know

7. Don't know about work yet as have only been on the base to get ID card (instant!) and have a look around but impressed with facilities for recreation (cinema, huge pool) everything looks modern and in better nick than RN, great help from RAN contact (invaluable)

Cheers

Glad that u got here safe and sound.Hope the weather is being kind to you.

Most of the things u said on here are very true to Perth.

If you are moving to Sydney please have a good look at houses when u get here, its not the same as living in Perth as most will tell you. They are older houses and not as big here in Sydney.

The transport here in Sydney is not to great in some places and u will need to get 2 buses or trains to get to work, not good if u have to get up at 5am everyday and dont get home till after 6 in the evening.

You can always get a hire car here in Sydney, its a city that never sleeps.

We also had statements from our Aussi banks b4 we got to Australia, the banks will deal with that when ur in the Uk.

The work thing u will have to work out for urself I'm afraid :biggrin:

Guest gavnicjacflo

front,

I am a CPOWESM with ten years seniority and they offered me POET on joining the RAN also gave me the option of joining Mar 12 or Aug 12. They have finally got someone in place who can do Submariner medicals again.

front,

I am a CPOWESM with ten years seniority and they offered me POET on joining the RAN also gave me the option of joining Mar 12 or Aug 12. They have finally got someone in place who can do Submariner medicals again.

Nice one. How much seniority do the RAN give you if any?

What should I be looking to be offered by the RAN after 22 years in the RN, leaving as a CPOET(WESM) with 14 years seniority?

Ta.

Hi and welcome :biggrin: . If they offer you a a contract you will have to sign on for 6 year, it used to be 3, but I do believe that we where the last gruop tp get that, and that was nearlly 3 years ago.

You will be dropped down to a PO I was CPO chief MEA for 14 yeears and all they gave me was 2 years seniotriy, I think that's what they give to everyone.

The money is good though I get more as a PO at sea than I did has a chirf back in the UK.

The life style we have is great, live right on top of the beach could not ask for better.

Dougie and Anita :biggrin:

Guest drh123

From lessons learnt you can refuse the rank or seniority they offer you and ask them bluntly for better. I have heard of people getting more that way.

I was a pomea and I got po out here as I refused to drop the rank. Don't be scared to fight your corner a little to get what you want.

From lessons learnt you can refuse the rank or seniority they offer you and ask them bluntly for better. I have heard of people getting more that way.

I was a pomea and I got po out here as I refused to drop the rank. Don't be scared to fight your corner a little to get what you want.

Be very careful doing that I know of 2 people that tried, and in the end the RAN didnt touch them

Dougie

Hi all I'm after some info for some friends coming out here and things are going really slow for them.

Thye sent there paper work off in jan and got told it would only take 9 weeks .and they are still waiting to get things in writing, like TOS and a few other things.

What Im after is a number for Lt Cd Vanessa Power, I need this number asap has my friends husband deploys next week for afgan and really needs to get it sorted b4 he goes. He needs to find out when he should be putting in notice in, hes been given a date of next june but nothing in writing, by ring this person they are hoping it gives them the info he needs b4 he deploys.

If anyone can help I would be very gratefull

Anita :biggrin:

Archived