transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest d261114d

hi, first of all, i am glad to see that there are so many people transfering to the aussie navy!!! my fiance and i along with our new born are looking to start the process of moving to the sun!

i have a number of queries that i would love if anyone could give me some guidance on if possible!!

1. I am in the RN submarine service, is there a career manager for the R.A.N SM service that anyone could put me in contact with.

2. are there any websites other than this to get advice and info to start the process!?

3. how long does it generally take to complete the process?

4. Is it adviseable that my partner gets a recognised qualification prior to us moving?!

Guest jeffner1974
hi, first of all, i am glad to see that there are so many people transfering to the aussie navy!!! my fiance and i along with our new born are looking to start the process of moving to the sun!

i have a number of queries that i would love if anyone could give me some guidance on if possible!!

1. I am in the RN submarine service, is there a career manager for the R.A.N SM service that anyone could put me in contact with.

2. are there any websites other than this to get advice and info to start the process!?

3. how long does it generally take to complete the process?

4. Is it adviseable that my partner gets a recognised qualification prior to us moving?!

Hi there and welcome aboard,

Your first point of contact is Lt Cdr Wendy Hughes i'll try and figure out how to post her email address in a minute.

As for how long does it take - how longs a piece of string?? generally though going by others experience on here about 18months to 2 years. There is lot of waiting about though, checking emails, going back and forth and round and round!:arghh::arghh:

Your fiance and baby should be able to go on your visa

This is the best site i've found with regards to getting info in general about moving to Oz. If you google Australia visa wizard you'll find all you need to know about the visa app. (have added link at the bottom but in case it doesn't work)

you also need police checks done (acpo. only valid for a year) and also a full medical, aside from the one the Navy requires (also valid for a year) so no rush for these. hope that helps some.

good luck

jenx

LCDR Wendy Hughes (Sailors)

Staff Officer Lateral Entries

NPCMA

R8-5-057

Russell Offices

Canberra, ACT 2600

Australia

Phone +61 2 6265 2237

Fax +61 2 6265 3353

Email: RAN.OverseasRecruiting@defence.gov.au

from http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...nts/navy.aspx#

http://www.acpo.police.uk/NationalPolicing/ACROCriminalRecordsOffice/PoliceCertificates.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/#vw=%23a_step_3

Guest guest48800

Hi all,

Apologies for not checking back through the whole thread to see if my answer is already there, but has anyone started the civvy visa route and then had their application for RAN go through? We're in a bit of a dilemma at the mo, as OH applied for RAN originally and they stopped laterally recruiting his branch, if we were ever to get over civvy side we had to make a move pre July 1st so applied for SS 176 and that's going through at the mo. However, RAN would be our ideal way to move over there, OH contacted Wendy Hughes a wee while ago who asked him to re submit his application....dilemma is, do we go for it or stick with civvy application? Wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation? Don't want to blow our chances civvy side but the pros of going RAN are too good to pass up if there's a chance (quarters, guaranteed employment, familiar kind of environment etc.) Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Guest gavnicjacflo

We went for our Meds today at Handsworth Wood Medical Centre Birmingham, Well to be honest the actual place was pretty grotty we both thought what are we doing here and wanted to leave but we stayed and were glad we did because the staff were fantastic, polite and really helpful. I guess the morale of the story is dont judge a book by its cover. The medicals were pretty straight forward urine and blood sample chest x ray, bmi ,eye test (cover one eye read the letters test) and a quick examination by the doctor. So all in all not too bad except the bill £780 2x audults 2x children and extra blood test for Nic due to being a health professional. No cup of tea but Jacob did get 2Lt of water to drink due to failing his urine test the first time round.:rolleyes:

Guest gavnicjacflo
Submariners ONLY!!!

check out the link below. They can all go down backwards, but as long as they still come up, I'm happy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/sailors-feared-worst-as-submarine-hmas-farncomb-sank/story-e6frg8yo-1226133528725

Well I reckon most of us crusty old sea dogs could spin a few of our own sinking and collision dits. Like smudge says as long as you surface alls good :jimlad:

Guest Smudger2go
Well I reckon most of us crusty old sea dogs could spin a few of our own sinking and collision dits. Like smudge says as long as you surface alls good :jimlad:

I ain't crusty or old, just a little receding!! :biggrin: Glad your meds went well, I'm on a powerboating course till Weds will pop up after that, I've emailed again yesterday still heard nothing......

:jimlad:

Hiya all, hope that progress has been good with you all. Finally we have had the COS and OH has signed and sent them back. Brilliant news, not 100% sure of where we are going yet but aiming for Aug 12. As hubby is in Af' stan at the mo I have been tasked with sorting medicals and the police checks. Does anybody have any starting points for these? Any ideas on best places to get medicals done. We are in Fareham Hampshire.

Thank you Sophie.

Guest gavnicjacflo
Just found info on police in the thread that seems straight forward. So excited that we finally have COS.

Cornishsoph thats great news next thing will be your Labour agreement which doesnt take long about 3 weeks if I remember rightly, and then you apply for your visa the stage we are at and we go March

Guest gavnicjacflo
Wow that will come around fast! Bet that you are excited! Keep us up to date! Good luck Sophie.

Hi we sent off our VISA today, just a quick 40 pages of forms and a whole lotta certified docs.

There were some tricky questions, Liz and Steve's post http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/52665-transferring-r-n-r-n-royal-navy-royal-australian-navy-69.html#post1005856 was very helpful, cheers Liz and Steve hope you are enjoying life down under.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Nic and Gav

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry to keep on asking all these questions that are probably obvious to other people. Just had an e-mail from my OH asking about the question on the visa about the level of detail to use of the value of assets we are planning to bring to Oz. Does anybody know why the question is asked, is it for tax or insurance purposes?? May mean better to air on the side of low or high depending upon reason of question.

Hope everybody else is getting on well with applications, we are enjoying some lovely weather in the UK today, should be out enjoying it not replying to e-mails really.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sophie.

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hello,

Sorry to keep on asking all these questions that are probably obvious to other people. Just had an e-mail from my OH asking about the question on the visa about the level of detail to use of the value of assets we are planning to bring to Oz. Does anybody know why the question is asked, is it for tax or insurance purposes?? May mean better to air on the side of low or high depending upon reason of question.

Hope everybody else is getting on well with applications, we are enjoying some lovely weather in the UK today, should be out enjoying it not replying to e-mails really.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sophie.

Hi Sophie,

we didn't give them any detail of our assets, just gave an estimated figure of personal belongings and savings, not sure if that was right, we haven't heard anything from DIAC yet. Have you received the labour agreement?

Yeah I think they have sent it to OH but a bit patchy as he is on deployment so I get snippets and then he asks me to find things out...!

Booked medicals in for Nov too!

Thanks for that info yeah that is what he thought but always good to bounce ideas off hope your application going ahead well so not long for you now, bet you can't wait! Thanks again.

Sophie.

Yeah I think they have sent it to OH but a bit patchy as he is on deployment so I get snippets and then he asks me to find things out...!

Booked medicals in for Nov too!

Thanks for that info yeah that is what he thought but always good to bounce ideas off hope your application going ahead well so not long for you now, bet you can't wait! Thanks again.

Sophie.

Hi Sophie We did'nt tell them anything about our savings. We just told them how much stuff we where bring. But that does'nt matter either has u can bring most of it anyway, and they pay for it.

Im always here to help.

Hope you, Adam and kids are ok

:biggrin:

Thanks alot Anita! You are always very helpful, will let Adam know. We are good thank you, looking forward to the move now very much. Am sure will be bugging you again soon. Hope you are all well and still enjoying life down under. Keep the photos on FB coming I love looking at them! X

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RobandSue

Hi,

We have been reading the thread for the last few months as we have been moving through the application process. Finally, took the plunge to register on the site today as we received the Labour Agreement at the weekend.

We are a family of four, including two kids 18 & 14, who are aiming to get out to Australian Mar 12. Initially, Sydney whilst I do the ‘Joining Routine – unsure where after.

I PVR’ed last month and have a TX’ed date 2 Mar 12, so keen to meet the Mar 12 joining window, to avoid eating into gratuity and pension.

Tried to force the pace a bit today, while I compile the Visa paperwork, but hit an issue I have not seen on the thread. and so maybe a relatively new problem but happy for any advice on it’s resolution.

It appears that DIAC are forcing approved clinics to use the eHealth system to record online medical details. Therefore the clinics in the London area we approached today were very reluctant to book appointments until our Visa was officially lodged in Australia and DIAC had responded with a 'Health Examinations List' and a 'HAP ID' or 'Health Request ID' which allows the clinic to process medicals. on eHealth They obviously do not want to do ‘paper based’ processing, but it is not clear how long it takes to lodge the visa and get the info back from DIAC so you can book medicals.

The guidance on DIAC website for eHealth arrangements states everyone should now use eHealth as the process for medicals (in UK). There is a get out for Employer Nomination Scheme visas, but not necessarily Labour Agreement class visas, and you need an exemption letter from DIAC. There is no explanation how you get the letter? (Interesting it says the paper based approach, which they call ‘front end loading’, facilitates faster processing – which does not imply eHealth has been introduced to quicken the process!)

I will email Vanessa Powers for advice, but in the interim I have managed to get one clinic to do the Medicals on Thursday, on the condition we submit the visa and get DIAC to provide the appropriate ID info back in short order to the clinic? There is a week or so window whilst the medical results are processed but I expect they may have to sit on the medical information whilst our initial visa processing is done. More daily Inbox checks!!

We are now trying to sort the Visa application out even faster than we had planned; hence I have a few questions that I like some advice on.

Most importantly we intend to submit the Form 47ES, three Form 80s for the over 18s and a Form 47A. The latter is for the eldest as he is a dependent child after only just completing his A’levels this year, always lived at home/boarding school, never worked, signed for the first time last month, has no money, intends to go to University/College (only halted because we are moving to Australia) and is in effect on a gap rear. I hope this is enough justification?

I have Form 1221, is this also required?

Having corralled all the documentation together, what is the best way to get the ‘certified copies’ certified? Do you have to have a solicitor do it or will getting a ‘Military Officer’ certify them (I know a few!) and is this done by just signing the back of the copies, with appropriate wording, or is a covering sheet stating what he/she is certifying? Unsure if I am making this more awkward than I need!

Many thanks for all you who have reached this far into my post, grateful for any snippets/gems at this stage. I suspect I might be posting more in the coming weeks!

Many thanks

Hi,

I have come across the same issue! Seems that this type of visa has to be done through paper form. We have booked our medicals at a clinic in Berkshire to coincide with OH R&R in Nov, and have to take along forms 26 and 160 filled in as I understand it.

I am going to e-mail them today to get them to confirm this is as they expect, it seems from the blurb that this is standard.

Will be interested to know how this pans out for you. Keep me posted.

Good luck filling in the forms. Sorry can't be of help with other forms not looked in to that yet.

Sophie.

Hi,

I have come across the same issue! Seems that this type of visa has to be done through paper form. We have booked our medicals at a clinic in Berkshire to coincide with OH R&R in Nov, and have to take along forms 26 and 160 filled in as I understand it.

I am going to e-mail them today to get them to confirm this is as they expect, it seems from the blurb that this is standard.

Will be interested to know how this pans out for you. Keep me posted.

Good luck filling in the forms. Sorry can't be of help with other forms not looked in to that yet.

Just checked the paper work. Says just to let them know if we have not yet lodged visa as they process application in different way. Also says that we need to bring either of the following, printed health examinations list (do not have), examinations referral letter(do not have), forms 26EH, 160EH (you can download these from website). Hope this helps!

Sophie.

Guest gavnicjacflo

Rob and Sue,

We when to Birmingham to have our medicals done early Sept, sent our visa off late Sept all gone to the Parrammatta office, received an email from them saying they where processing the visa with a wait time of 5 to 7 months. We are hoping to join in Mar 12 so hopefully its 5 months or sooner !!!!!!

Guest RobandSue

Hi Sophie

medicals completed today, everything went ok (but await xray/bloodtest results), but the clinic want an exemption letter from online processing or the diac 'id' codes before sending them on. Vanessa is looking into the Exemption letter. The clinic will hold onto the medical results until it is resolved.

Any info on the best way of certifying copies of birth certificstes, etc. Rather not have to pay for a solictor given I want to get the visa in the post tomorrow, given Gav & Nics warning of 5 months to process! I know someone whose visa took a couple months earlier in the year so I hope that is more representative.

Rob & Sue

Archived