transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi we sent off our VISA today, just a quick 40 pages of forms and a whole lotta certified docs.

There were some tricky questions, Liz and Steve's post http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/52665-transferring-r-n-r-n-royal-navy-royal-australian-navy-69.html#post1005856 was very helpful, cheers Liz and Steve hope you are enjoying life down under.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Nic and Gav

Hi there :biggrin:

So sorry for not checking in on here since we arrived - life has been manic getting settled, etc.

WE ARE LOVING IT!!! :jiggy:

Journey over here was great.

The Millenium Gloucester in London was fab. Tip: just make sure they have booked you interconnecting rooms at your hotels if you have children, as ours wasn't booked for London and I had to contact Portman Travel and get them to chase it up. All got sorted though. Only minor hic-cup was that they sent us a people carrier for the airport transfer for us, 5 large cases and 5 pieces of hand luggage!!! Luckily we were leaving for the airport with plenty of time to spare and they sent out a van/bus instead (it arrived within 10 mins). Heathrow airport business lounge was fab too - everything free. Playarea for the kids with video games, wine bar, champagne bar, view of the runways, computer suite, food, newspapers, magazines . . . great :biggrin:

We stopped at Singapore, stayed at the Furama City Centre - hotel was good and very accessable for Clarke/Boat Quay's. We went to the Night Zoo which we all enjoyed. Also visited the Lau Pa Sat hawkers food market near CBD, that was an experience, really cheap and great fun. Steve and the kids ate 60 satay sticks cooked over an open flame grill in the street!! lol

We were met at Perth airport by our friends Carolann, Steve & their kids :jiggy:and they took us back to our fully furnished temporary accom. which was a house in Shoalwater and very nice. Steve got the first week we were here off of work. We stayed there for 10 days and then moved into our DHA house. We had reserved it in the UK (friends Carolann and Terri had been and checked it out for us) but not formally accepted it. We viewed it - they give you the code for a key lock, so you can let yourselves in and have a look around on your own. Then we accepted it and got a move in date the week after.

We moved in with our cases and a furniture pack from the OAT people was delivered the same day (had to arrange this) which was great, it had: digital TV, TV unit, 2 sofas, lamps, side table, coffee table, dining table and chairs, kitchen equipment/dishes/pans and plates/cutlery, ironing board/iron, washing basket, beds/sheets, bedside tables & lamps, towels, washing machine & drier, pretty much all the basics you need.

The day after we moved in our air freight arrived, which was great. We then had to wait another two weeks for our sea freight to arrive. The sea freight was delivered and at the same time the OAT furniture pack stuff was taken. Bit of a mad day but we did it. Everything in the air and sea freight arrived in one piece except for a fragile picture frame that had a bit snapped off but we just glued it back on. We didn't insure any of it for the journey over as we couldn't afford the £1385 quoted by Pickfords, so we winged it (had to send an email to Pickfords and Australia house saying we were happy to send our stuff uninsured) and thankfully all turned out well.

Our two eldest started at their new school two weeks after arriving here and they love it and settled in almost instantly. We've sent them to a private school, personal preference (had spoken to lots of people before coming here and viewed the school on arrival and we all liked it). Our youngest is allowed to go to Kindy from next Feb so we have her name down for the school near our house which looks nice, also she has a place at the same school as the older two - will just have to see what comes up and decide.

We're living in Waikiki on the Harrington Waters estate, we really like it. Nice quiet street, park and lake round the corner, nice primary school within walking distance, not too far in the car to the shops, beaches are only 5 mins away by car. There are dog beaches around too if you have dogs. And almost every public open space has free dog poo bags and bins. You have to register your dogs with the council too and they get a tag to go on their collar. We have bought a Kelpie X Ridgeback puppy, she's 15 wks now and is gorgeous - two more weeks to go til we can take her out for walks - can't wait.

Steve's work seems okay, loads of courses to do and lectures, etc. The base is quiet and I got a spouse pass for me and the kids so we can get on the base and use the facilities too. We've been to the beaches there and they are beautiful and very quiet. There's a pool and BBQ facilities there too. The base had a wonderfull 'walk to work' day the other week, we parked our cars on the base and were bussed back over the causeway to the main gate and then walked 7km back to the Gym area and had a free families day, loads of free rides, bouncy castles, food, candy floss, show bags, entertainers, etc it was really good and we'll definately be there next year.

The weird thing about being in Australia is that it doesn't feel weird to us and it certainly doesn't feel like we're on the other side of the world! We haven't had any bad home sick days yet, even when our furniture arrived. It was a minor annoyance that I had to work out where to go to buy the bits & bobs I needed but we've been here 10 weeks now and everything is falling into place. Food is fairly pricey but you have to look out for the things that are on special and buy them when they're cheap. Most people don't do a big shop here (once a month) but tend to buy things for the next few days.

The weather has been okay, not as warm as I thought it would be but it's starting to warm up now and should be hot within the next few weeks.

There have been three fatal shark attacks here in WA since we arrived - a surfer eaten near Dunsborough, a man swimming eaten off Cottesloe beach, near Perth and a diver (spearfishing) killed off Rottnest last week. Apparently there is a shark hunt on now, think I'll maybe stick to paddling for a while.

Anyway I am waffling on now! :chatterbox: I promise I'll try and get on here more often.

Great news Gav & Nic that all is going well for you, look forward to seeing you in March :biggrin: If you want us to look at any houses (and take some photos) for you, just shout, no problem.

Take care all,

Liz and Steve

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any info on the best way of certifying copies of birth certificstes, etc. Rather not have to pay for a solictor given I want to get the visa in the post tomorrow, given Gav & Nics warning of 5 months to process!

Hi Rob and Sue,

I took all our docs to a solicitor and paid £2 per item for 'certified true copies'. For speed I copied the docs at home myself and took them copies and the original docs to them and they just checked them, stamped and signed.

*Tip: they wouldn't certify Steve's passport copy without him being there but did all of his certs, the kids and my passports, wedding cert, birth certs, etc.

Not sure where you are? but I went to Curtus solicitors in Mutley Plain, Plymouth - just rang them and nipped straight in no problem.

Best of Luck, hope the visa doesn't take too long.

Liz

Guest RobandSue

Hi,

thanks for he advice. Fortunately, there is a legal team at the HQ were I am based so one of the MOD's solictors was happy to sign them all. DHL'ed the visa on Monday and am currently tracking the application on the DHL site - just cleared customs in Sydney!

The only guidance we have is that I will start at the Naval Base in Sydney, HMAS Kuttabul, to do initial 'joining courses' and then they will re-assign in due course. Hopefully will get a better idea once the visa is accepted and can get more detail than the TOS letter.

R&S

Guest gavnicjacflo
Hi there :biggrin:

So sorry for not checking in on here since we arrived - life has been manic getting settled, etc.

WE ARE LOVING IT!!! :jiggy:

Journey over here was great.

The Millenium Gloucester in London was fab. Tip: just make sure they have booked you interconnecting rooms at your hotels if you have children, as ours wasn't booked for London and I had to contact Portman Travel and get them to chase it up. All got sorted though. Only minor hic-cup was that they sent us a people carrier for the airport transfer for us, 5 large cases and 5 pieces of hand luggage!!! Luckily we were leaving for the airport with plenty of time to spare and they sent out a van/bus instead (it arrived within 10 mins). Heathrow airport business lounge was fab too - everything free. Playarea for the kids with video games, wine bar, champagne bar, view of the runways, computer suite, food, newspapers, magazines . . . great :biggrin:

We stopped at Singapore, stayed at the Furama City Centre - hotel was good and very accessable for Clarke/Boat Quay's. We went to the Night Zoo which we all enjoyed. Also visited the Lau Pa Sat hawkers food market near CBD, that was an experience, really cheap and great fun. Steve and the kids ate 60 satay sticks cooked over an open flame grill in the street!! lol

We were met at Perth airport by our friends Carolann, Steve & their kids :jiggy:and they took us back to our fully furnished temporary accom. which was a house in Shoalwater and very nice. Steve got the first week we were here off of work. We stayed there for 10 days and then moved into our DHA house. We had reserved it in the UK (friends Carolann and Terri had been and checked it out for us) but not formally accepted it. We viewed it - they give you the code for a key lock, so you can let yourselves in and have a look around on your own. Then we accepted it and got a move in date the week after.

We moved in with our cases and a furniture pack from the OAT people was delivered the same day (had to arrange this) which was great, it had: digital TV, TV unit, 2 sofas, lamps, side table, coffee table, dining table and chairs, kitchen equipment/dishes/pans and plates/cutlery, ironing board/iron, washing basket, beds/sheets, bedside tables & lamps, towels, washing machine & drier, pretty much all the basics you need.

The day after we moved in our air freight arrived, which was great. We then had to wait another two weeks for our sea freight to arrive. The sea freight was delivered and at the same time the OAT furniture pack stuff was taken. Bit of a mad day but we did it. Everything in the air and sea freight arrived in one piece except for a fragile picture frame that had a bit snapped off but we just glued it back on. We didn't insure any of it for the journey over as we couldn't afford the £1385 quoted by Pickfords, so we winged it (had to send an email to Pickfords and Australia house saying we were happy to send our stuff uninsured) and thankfully all turned out well.

Our two eldest started at their new school two weeks after arriving here and they love it and settled in almost instantly. We've sent them to a private school, personal preference (had spoken to lots of people before coming here and viewed the school on arrival and we all liked it). Our youngest is allowed to go to Kindy from next Feb so we have her name down for the school near our house which looks nice, also she has a place at the same school as the older two - will just have to see what comes up and decide.

We're living in Waikiki on the Harrington Waters estate, we really like it. Nice quiet street, park and lake round the corner, nice primary school within walking distance, not too far in the car to the shops, beaches are only 5 mins away by car. There are dog beaches around too if you have dogs. And almost every public open space has free dog poo bags and bins. You have to register your dogs with the council too and they get a tag to go on their collar. We have bought a Kelpie X Ridgeback puppy, she's 15 wks now and is gorgeous - two more weeks to go til we can take her out for walks - can't wait.

Steve's work seems okay, loads of courses to do and lectures, etc. The base is quiet and I got a spouse pass for me and the kids so we can get on the base and use the facilities too. We've been to the beaches there and they are beautiful and very quiet. There's a pool and BBQ facilities there too. The base had a wonderfull 'walk to work' day the other week, we parked our cars on the base and were bussed back over the causeway to the main gate and then walked 7km back to the Gym area and had a free families day, loads of free rides, bouncy castles, food, candy floss, show bags, entertainers, etc it was really good and we'll definately be there next year.

The weird thing about being in Australia is that it doesn't feel weird to us and it certainly doesn't feel like we're on the other side of the world! We haven't had any bad home sick days yet, even when our furniture arrived. It was a minor annoyance that I had to work out where to go to buy the bits & bobs I needed but we've been here 10 weeks now and everything is falling into place. Food is fairly pricey but you have to look out for the things that are on special and buy them when they're cheap. Most people don't do a big shop here (once a month) but tend to buy things for the next few days.

The weather has been okay, not as warm as I thought it would be but it's starting to warm up now and should be hot within the next few weeks.

There have been three fatal shark attacks here in WA since we arrived - a surfer eaten near Dunsborough, a man swimming eaten off Cottesloe beach, near Perth and a diver (spearfishing) killed off Rottnest last week. Apparently there is a shark hunt on now, think I'll maybe stick to paddling for a while.

Anyway I am waffling on now! :chatterbox: I promise I'll try and get on here more often.

Great news Gav & Nic that all is going well for you, look forward to seeing you in March :biggrin: If you want us to look at any houses (and take some photos) for you, just shout, no problem.

Take care all,

Liz and Steve

Hi Liz and Steve,

thank you for a great update, so glad you are enjoying it over there, we have been wondering how you are getting on.

We sent off our visa application 4 weeks ago, do you remember how long you had to wait for your visa?

The journey over sounded fab, I hope we get Singapore, Gav's been a few times and loves it. How was your little girl on the plane? Florence is 3 and can be a handful at times, is business class accomodating for children?

Sounds like all has gone well with the house, when did you get to look at the Defence houses from the UK and do you know how long you can reserve a house for? Thank you for the offer of looking at houses for us, that will be a great help.

I'm glad the children have settled into school, we like the look of Living Waters ,online, if you don't mind me asking is that where you chose for your children? Would you recommend registering as soon as we get the visa?

Have you managed to get a car sorted out? We have been looking at some on-line, was hoping to manage with one car. How does Steve commute to work, is it cycling distance?

We are starting to get a bit nervous now, it has really helped reading your post though, you sound so positive and happy. It doesn't help that my family keep saying "when you're gone......."etc, like we are dying or something. I feel like we are never going to see them again. You must feel settled to have welcomed an addition to the family, sounds idillic, walking the dog in the sun. We went to the River Dart Country Park today, it was cold and like a mud bath, the kids loved it though. Can't wait to wake up to blue skies.

Are you having lots of barbeque's, we had one on Friday for Halloween, well Gav was outside in the pitch black and cold on his own, waited about 2 hours for it to heat up enough to cook the sausages:goofy:.

I'm sure we will have loads more questions but we won't bore you, thank you again for the post and keep us updated. Look forward to meeting you all in March, fingers crossed.

Keep enjoying the sun,

Nic and Gav x

Guest jeffner1974

Morning,

Mreat to read up on how everyone is getting along. sounds really exciting. and a great experience.

Gavnicjacflo, you must be getting really excited now. Fingers crossed for you that it all goes well from here on in.

We've not been around too much on here as things sort of slowed down for us thanks to one thing or another. All out of our control but finally back on track now. Eventually got the TOS signed and away (and as long as it wasn't flying with Quantas it should be there by now!)

how long after that did you wait for the Labour Agreement? We are still aiming for March (to be amended as we go, can't see how it's going to happen but who knows. Some serious P M A going on here ).

We are currently gathering all our info together and trying to sort out getting our docs certified, easy enough. But i have a question about OH's evidence of qualifications and experience. do they still require this even though there is a labour agreement and he has a job with the RAN who are obviously nominating him? other than that the visa looks relatively straight forward. Just waiting for our police checks to come back and get meds booked. so keeping everything crossed. Thanks for any advice on the qualifications and i look forward to reading on how your all getting on

Jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo
Morning,

Mreat to read up on how everyone is getting along. sounds really exciting. and a great experience.

Gavnicjacflo, you must be getting really excited now. Fingers crossed for you that it all goes well from here on in.

We've not been around too much on here as things sort of slowed down for us thanks to one thing or another. All out of our control but finally back on track now. Eventually got the TOS signed and away (and as long as it wasn't flying with Quantas it should be there by now!)

how long after that did you wait for the Labour Agreement? We are still aiming for March (to be amended as we go, can't see how it's going to happen but who knows. Some serious P M A going on here ).

We are currently gathering all our info together and trying to sort out getting our docs certified, easy enough. But i have a question about OH's evidence of qualifications and experience. do they still require this even though there is a labour agreement and he has a job with the RAN who are obviously nominating him? other than that the visa looks relatively straight forward. Just waiting for our police checks to come back and get meds booked. so keeping everything crossed. Thanks for any advice on the qualifications and i look forward to reading on how your all getting on

Jen x

jen

about 6 weeks for labour agreement

jen

Hii We waited 5 months for our labour agreement, there was a problem with the Navy and the goverment. I hope you get it 5 weeks. I so wish we had we would have been here a lot sooner.. Loving the life we have now, been here 3 years and wouldnt move back.. :biggrin:

Guest jeffner1974

thanks,

i'm going to go with gavs time line of 6 weeks and just keep everything crossed lol! Anita - i remember reading that before that it took ages for you, must have been an nightmare. but at least it all worked out in the end. thats how we're trying to look at it, we'll get there eventually and it'll all be worth it.

got our medicals booked for the 14th nov, so that'll be another box ticked.

jen x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gavnicjacflo

Morning All,

Still no news on the visa front but the Australian Embassy in London have been in touch and we have a case manager " Natalie Wallace" who is going to organise our travel, hotel accomadation and Pickfords the movers, so a little excited this morning!!! but all so nervous and a little scared aswell:biggrin:

Guest dermedicus

Interesting the flight from the RN to the RAN.

As a non-citizen with no military background, the Australian forces are not open to me currently. I am thinking of the RN or RAF back in the UK as a way of refreshing my career (in the medical line) without returning to the NHS. Obviously the defence cuts are hitting all three services but if anybody naval has any advice to offer re: the current state of play in the RN I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Edited to suggest people PM me about this to not take this thread off track. Thanks.

Guest jeffner1974
Morning All,

Still no news on the visa front but the Australian Embassy in London have been in touch and we have a case manager " Natalie Wallace" who is going to organise our travel, hotel accomadation and Pickfords the movers, so a little excited this morning!!! but all so nervous and a little scared aswell:biggrin:

we got this email the other day aswell. can't remember cm's name off the top

. got pickfords coming at the start of dec to survey our stuff. we dont even have our labour agreement yet !!!! but still trying to push it through asap! i know what you mean about excited. my stomachs been churning for weeks.

hopefully you wont have long to wait to hear something, fingers crossed. unfortunately as xmas looms closer things are going to get even slower, hopefully you'll have heard before then!!

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo
we got this email the other day aswell. can't remember cm's name off the top

. got pickfords coming at the start of dec to survey our stuff. we dont even have our labour agreement yet !!!! but still trying to push it through asap! i know what you mean about excited. my stomachs been churning for weeks.

hopefully you wont have long to wait to hear something, fingers crossed. unfortunately as xmas looms closer things are going to get even slower, hopefully you'll have heard before then!!

jen x

good luck with the medicals on Monday and hope you get your LA soon. Did you arrange your own survey with Pickfords or did the cm arange it? :jimlad:

Guest jeffner1974
good luck with the medicals on Monday and hope you get your LA soon. Did you arrange your own survey with Pickfords or did the cm arange it? :jimlad:

cheers, even excited about the medicals. the email gave us the names of who to touch base with at pickfords"Natalie chee" and i called them, they were very helpful. coming at the start of december. they pack absolutely everything as well, even your clothes!! so it's all covered by their insurance. after the survey you get an "authority to move" certificate to be returned to your CM, our case manager is Andrew Zeitman.

jen x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gavnicjacflo

Well the man from Pickfords been to do our survey today no shocks apart from him leaving two air freight boxes in the hallway WOW it seems real now!!! and suggesting a pick up date in Jan where not expecting to fly until Middle of March. We are a family of four and get 16 decent size boxes to be sent by air freight.

Jen how did your medicals go no problems ? hopefully you got your LA by now .

Guest jeffner1974

wow, how exciting. it is a bit scary now isn't it (in a good way)

is that all your stuff going air freight or are you getting a sea container as well? they told me they wouldn't pick up till at least 4 weeks before our departure. so if (and a big if) we were going in middle of march they'd collect mid feb.

any word on your visa yet? (though i'm pretty sure you would have been on telling us) can you track it's progress or is it just a case of more waiting?

our meds went well and assume they have been sent to sydney by now. no labour agreement as yet, constant checking of mail box and in box continues lol!

can you clarify for me what visa you applied for, i'm pretty sure it'll be the same one for us but i keep questioning and doubting everything.

hope it's not to much longer till you get some news on your visa.

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi Jen

We applied for the 120/121 visa which you can't track, all we have had is an email confirming they have recieved it, back in late sept. We where expecting our belongings to be collected mid feb as well so it came as bit of a shock when he said mid to late Jan. The air freight is separate to the container, 16 boxes of air freight and container (up to 40ft). Hopefully you will hear something soon. Good luck.

Guest RobandSue

Hi

Just a quick update given your recent posts on progress. I think we are somewhere between you both in the process. We had the medicals towards the end of Oct and the clinc sent the results by post two weeks ago, arrived in Sydney on 11 Nov.

Visa application acknowledged on 1 Nov and we have a Case Officer assigned - no direct feedback on where we sit in the queue though, hence the daily Inbox checks! The last DIAC emails have stated it could be 5 - 7 months but they aim to process as soon as practical.

No contact from the High Commission though, so slightly envious, we've be told that we need the visa next.

Left work last Friday and now on resettlement and leave until Tx date in March, still hoping not to have to stay in MQs past my last day in service.

Good luck all

Guest gavnicjacflo

Hi Rob and Sue,

You seem to be at the same stage as us with the visa " checking the inbox daily" hopefully it wont take the 5-7 months as that will leave it very close to the proposed enlistment date. I have 2 1/2weeks left then start resettlement and terminal leave.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffner1974

WOOHOO!!! recieved 'labour agreement' this morning. that wasn't too bad just about 4-5 weeks wait. we can't get our visa away till next week as we have an appointment with the lawyer to get certificates certified next thursday, that was the first day that suited. give us a chance to make sure everythings in order. then on to the next stage of hanging about :arghh:

don't think it'll even get looked at before christmas but at least they'll have it.

hope you all hear something soon

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Congratulations another step nearer and a week without having to check emails every morning!!!!!:biggrin:

WOOHOO!!! recieved 'labour agreement' this morning. that wasn't too bad just about 4-5 weeks wait. we can't get our visa away till next week as we have an appointment with the lawyer to get certificates certified next thursday, that was the first day that suited. give us a chance to make sure everythings in order. then on to the next stage of hanging about :arghh:

don't think it'll even get looked at before christmas but at least they'll have it.

hope you all hear something soon

jen x

Guest RobandSue

We got the visa approval email this morning!

Five weeks from it being lodged so fingers cross for Jen & family and Gav & Nic; hopefully it helps to know that it doesn't take too long and March remains a possibility.

We got an email from DIAC asking for copies of our passport picture pages yesterday, so that is a good indication you are close to approval.

We emailed the RAN today and await the next step, will keep you updated.

Rob & Sue

Guest gavnicjacflo

Congratulations , i so hope ours arrives before christmas!!

Five weeks from it being lodged so fingers cross for Jen & family and Gav & Nic; hopefully it helps to know that it doesn't take too long and March remains a possibility.

We got an email from DIAC asking for copies of our passport picture pages yesterday, so that is a good indication you are close to approval.

Rob & Sue

Guest jeffner1974

Rob & Sue

thanks and a big congratulations to rob and sue, that's great news. and good news for the rest of us that it didn't take too long. i suppose they have to give you some kind of timeline, but 5 weeks is great. bet your double anxious now gavnicjaqflo, here's hoping it's any day now!!

jen x

Hi Robandsue my name is stewart just been reading some of your threads as I am based in sunny Faslane and applied for the aus navy in Aug and wondering if you have any useful advice. I dont know anyone here who has applied, I sent my medical stuff about 4 weeks ago and not heard back not sure how long stuff takes to arrive any advice would be great, thanks Stewart

Archived