transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Jen, I've just received my TOS today, but the aspirational date of joining is Aug 17th, I'll drop Wendy a line to see if it should be Sep. regards Paul

Congrats on your TOS :biggrin: We came out 16th August, 2011 so your date is most probably correct. Don't think they seem to stick to the old 'January, June & August' dates anymore (re: the application form when they ask when you'd like to come over). Last year people came in Jan, March, May & August (that I know of). Maybe it's just to do with what branch you are and what courses they'll send you on after you arrive?

Anyhow, best wishes for the next bit - your visa/removals.

Liz x

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeffner1974

Hi,

The email we received from Wendy Hughs says that we should have moved to an August enlistment but it clashes with the olympics and travel/ accomodation in london is the problem. so will be September. It may not be the case for everyone, always worth dropping her a wee note just to double check if your not sure.

oh, and congrats on your TOS

jen x

Guest gavnicjacflo

Congratulations on all those receiving thier TOS if you need any help with the Visa stage we will be happy to help if we can

Hot off the press, apparently Australia House have confirmed they can still manage Aug 17th, to allow housing to be sorted before the school term starts.

Hi,

The email we received from Wendy Hughs says that we should have moved to an August enlistment but it clashes with the olympics and travel/ accomodation in london is the problem. so will be September. It may not be the case for everyone, always worth dropping her a wee note just to double check if your not sure.

oh, and congrats on your TOS

jen x

Guest jeffner1974
Hot off the press, apparently Australia House have confirmed they can still manage Aug 17th, to allow housing to be sorted before the school term starts.

great stuff. :biggrin:

Hi all,

I have been reading through this website over the past few months and love it - so thanks. My OH is desperate to get over to OZ and it must be said that I am quite keen too. Anyway, we are currently in the research stage. MY OH is the RN (fleet air arm) and could potentially transfer to the RAN or RAAF. I would love to get over the Perth, but OH is not a submarine. Is this possible?

Also, how much time do they tend to spend at sea???

Thanks, Jo

Oops just to clarify (was half asleep at 0605 during previous posting), message from Wendy was:

We were looking at a Sep enlistment, but Australia House have confirmed they can still manage the 17 Aug enlistment date (which gets everyone in country and time to manage housing schooling etc before the fits course).

(no idea what the fits course is, has anyone else?)

Guest jeffner1974
Oops just to clarify (was half asleep at 0605 during previous posting), message from Wendy was:

We were looking at a Sep enlistment, but Australia House have confirmed they can still manage the 17 Aug enlistment date (which gets everyone in country and time to manage housing schooling etc before the fits course).

(no idea what the fits course is, has anyone else?)

hubby just checked his email and have one from wendy hughes saying that we are on the august 17th enlistment now WOOHOO!! saying pretty much the same as yours vulturekillerone. does that mean we're moving buddies?

this emigrating malarky sure keeps you on your toes!

jen x

Guest Tony Heppenstall

Hi all, am so excited today, we have our medicals on Monday for the Visa, a step in the right direction. We leave in Aug, and will be based in Sydney. Is anyone else leaving in Aug 2012 and going to sydney. My husband is a PO ME.

Thanks

Emma

Guest bobandclaire

Hi everyone,

New to the website but some great advice on the previous pages. I'm looking to transfer from RN to RAN and have received my Labour agreement. My aspirational date to join is 29th April 2013 but my RN TX date isn't till 07th May 2013, would this be a problem bearing in mind terminal leave etc. Wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation?

Currently in the process of visa paperwork having been informed by Wendy Hughes to start the ball rolling, worried that the police checks may run out as they only have a shelf life of 12 months, not sure if it is a bit early but i suppose with medicals etc, it takes time.

Final question, do the RAN pay to ship your vehicle out or do you just sell up and buy a new one in Oz?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bobby

Hi everyone,

New to the website but some great advice on the previous pages. I'm looking to transfer from RN to RAN and have received my Labour agreement. My aspirational date to join is 29th April 2013 but my RN TX date isn't till 07th May 2013, would this be a problem bearing in mind terminal leave etc. Wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation?

Currently in the process of visa paperwork having been informed by Wendy Hughes to start the ball rolling, worried that the police checks may run out as they only have a shelf life of 12 months, not sure if it is a bit early but i suppose with medicals etc, it takes time.

Final question, do the RAN pay to ship your vehicle out or do you just sell up and buy a new one in Oz?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bobby

Bobby what are you going over as. I'm going over as POET submariner with a provisional date of 21 March 2013.

How can you be joining before your Tx date??

I'm still waiting on a labour agreement. As far as the visa application/medicals and police checks I will not be doing these until I am within 12 months of going for them to remain valid.

Re cars/motorbikes I have been advised to sell them here and buy in Oz. It is not cheap to ship them out.

Guest gavnicjacflo

bobby

Hello have you done 22 years and on the old pension scheme if so really easy to get your Tx date altered, I had do it myself you can,y join the RAN whilst still under the RN ie Terminal Leave

Guest bobandclaire

Gavnicjacflo,

My 22 years will be on my TX and i'm on the old scheme, a bit worried about signing whilst still under RN contract. i will ask Wendy if this is an issue but i will be on terminal leave anyway and you are allowed to start employment a month before your TX normally. Hope everything is going well for you and the family. I am currently out in Naples working for NATO and should move my furniture from here straight to Oz. Did you have any issues regarding your pension, tax issues etc?

Guest jeffner1974

When the guy from Pickfords was here doing our survey he said they won't ship out the car (not that i'd want to take our old heaps anyway. it just came up in conversation)

Not sure, but are the police checks/ medicals only valid till your visa is granted (ie, your visa needs to be applied for and granted within the year ) don't know how long you have once visa is granted till you have to be in oz.

jen x

Guest bobandclaire

frontstunt,

I'll be joining as a PO Combat System Supervisor (Skimmer). I mentioned this to Wendy Hughes about the visa but she told us to start as you can send the visa without the medicals, they will request them later. Regarding the police checks....... not sure!

Guest gavnicjacflo

Well we have Pickfords arriving Wednesday to collect our belongings, I am sick of the smell of Jeyes fluid!!!!!! but we are finally getting there.!!!

Hi Bob

Id be interested in finding out what Wendy says as I'll be requesting early release (I'm pensionable anyway), but if you're allowed to sign on during terminal leave I'll do exactly that. ( a months extra pay)

I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that you have to have left the RN before enlisting in the RAN - technically you are still employed by the RN whilst on terminal leave.

Good luck anyway!

Gavnicjacflo,

My 22 years will be on my TX and i'm on the old scheme, a bit worried about signing whilst still under RN contract. i will ask Wendy if this is an issue but i will be on terminal leave anyway and you are allowed to start employment a month before your TX normally. Hope everything is going well for you and the family. I am currently out in Naples working for NATO and should move my furniture from here straight to Oz. Did you have any issues regarding your pension, tax issues etc?

Guest bobandclaire

No problem, i'll keep you posted. For the sake of 8 days hoping they will move the date but if not i will move my tx date as Gav has suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guest jeffner1974
Well we have Pickfords arriving Wednesday to collect our belongings, I am sick of the smell of Jeyes fluid!!!!!! but we are finally getting there.!!!

hi,

are they just packing up your sea freight stuff just now? if yes then when will they do your air freight? have you sorted out where you'll be staying when you get there yet ect? have you been on the DHA website?

can't believe you're now at the stage of shipping out your stuff. the time has come round so fast, hope it slows down a bit for us.

jen x

Hi,

I hope everyone is ok. I got asked a couple of questions earlier that I wasn't sure of the answers to and hoped that you guys might be able to answer:

When do pickfords come and collect your gear and how long were you in OZ before it arrives?

Are non married couples able to get a DHA place?

Thanks for any help, I'm due in Perth Aug this year so just trying to get ahead of the game.

Cheers

Guest gavnicjacflo

they pick up your air and sea freight on the same up lift and just to make us pull our hair out a little more they coming a day earlier tuesday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where's the Jeyes

hi,

are they just packing up your sea freight stuff just now? if yes then when will they do your air freight? have you sorted out where you'll be staying when you get there yet ect? have you been on the DHA website?

can't believe you're now at the stage of shipping out your stuff. the time has come round so fast, hope it slows down a bit for us.

jen x

Hi,

I hope everyone is ok. I got asked a couple of questions earlier that I wasn't sure of the answers to and hoped that you guys might be able to answer:

When do pickfords come and collect your gear and how long were you in OZ before it arrives?

Are non married couples able to get a DHA place?

Thanks for any help, I'm due in Perth Aug this year so just trying to get ahead of the game.

Cheers

Hi It takes about 12 weeks for ur stuff to get to OZ, ur air freight tkea a few weeks. U dont need to worry though, when u find a house DHA lend u all ur furniture for free, and I mean everything. And the stuff is all good.

You can also get MQ here if your not married, u need to prove that u have lived together for a while, like joint bank accounts for 6 months I think it is.

The other thing I didnt say was pickfords come and get ur stuff when u say, ours didnt go until a week before we lesf the UK,

Hope this helps, and good luck :biggrin:

Hi Bob

Id be interested in finding out what Wendy says as I'll be requesting early release (I'm pensionable anyway), but if you're allowed to sign on during terminal leave I'll do exactly that. ( a months extra pay)

I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that you have to have left the RN before enlisting in the RAN - technically you are still employed by the RN whilst on terminal leave.

Good luck anyway!

Hi

You cannot sign on when still in the RN. My husband wanted to do it he had 3 months leave to take and tried to get out early and the navy said no. So they held us back by that time. But we got here in the end :)

Archived