Guest James.S

Guest steve the spark
Has any one used Queensland Electrical Training to complete there Vetassess training to get an electrical mechanical license??

I have been working through the training now for the past 8 months and have my assessment the end of the month and was wondering what to expect.

Whats involved in the exam and the practical exam ??? as any one failed the assessment??

Any advice would be a great help

Thanks

Stewart

3 written exams ( which sound worse than they are ) and the practical is on chris`s house, to me he was watching most carefully for a safe method of working, so show him that your checking your instruments against a known sourse before using them to check if its live ( sorry active ) , check the supply, isolate and lock off safely before starting, he had us check continuaty and the earths from the meter box to the board in the garage, i took some lock off lables, hand tools, meggar and a pen n pad

dont worry hes not there to trip you up so theres no hidden suprises

good luck

steve

3 written exams ( which sound worse than they are ) and the practical is on chris`s house, to me he was watching most carefully for a safe method of working, so show him that your checking your instruments against a known sourse before using them to check if its live ( sorry active ) , check the supply, isolate and lock off safely before starting, he had us check continuaty and the earths from the meter box to the board in the garage, i took some lock off lables, hand tools, meggar and a pen n pad

dont worry hes not there to trip you up so theres no hidden suprises

good luck

steve

Thanks Mate, its a great help. Was worried because of not knowing what to expect but he seems a nice guy.

Just hope I can get through it ok.

Stew

Guest Dave f87
Hi all I'm 23 (24 at time of travel) year old from Dublin heading to Perth on a one year working visa with the hopes of staying for a second year or possibly if all goes well getting sponsored, at the end of May. Is there any courses anybody could recommend to increase my chances of getting a job in the electrical field when I arrive. Is there a way of getting my WA electrical licence before I travel or must I wait until I get there? Are my chances of getting sponsored realistic? Also I was considering doing a FETAC course on solar panel installations, would this be worthwhile doing before travelling. Thanks any help is much appreciated:biggrin:

to get your license you must first get your ARTC, have you got it? it'l give you your restricted license. about sponsorship, i know companies will do it but they must be a registered sponsor so i think its just about getting in with the right crowd, some of the other lads here might know more than me about it. i looked at doing that solar course too, its no harm but it wont be recognised in oz, hope dats a bit of help for you!

Guest Dave f87

alright men! first post here, just wondering if anyone's done the peer wiring regs exam? was on to the girl there last wk and i might be doing it in march. was just wondering how anyone found it and whats the practical involve, she never mentioned it too me but iv the course outline mentions one. any info would be great, cheers.

Hi Guys

Right, I thought I had it right in my head the route my hubby needs to take, but now i'm even more confused.

Can someone please tell me what the correct procedure is for him to go through to have his qualifications/trade assessed, i think i'm have a totally 'blonde' day so please bear with me ;-)

We thought that there was new legislation which came in which meant he would just go through the TRA do i think 2 online assessments then a technical interview via skype with the Victoria Uni. Is this correct?

If this is correct and he passes does that give him his ARTC which would then enable him to proceed to go ahead and work towards his A licence?

Is it advisable to do all of this before even applying for your visa, we really don't want to apply for a visa to find he doesn't pass etc etc.

If someone could do it in a step by step way that would be fab................

Many thanks from a very confused woman (now you know why my nickname is Dizzi lol)

Thanks guys

Dizzi x

Hi Guys,

Has anyone recently done the course in WA to gain the A grade licence with energy safety ?

Do you know how often these courses run, and i believe they are for two weeks full time.. is that right.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Scott and Tina

Hi there,

Hopefully this LINK may help.

Regards Derren

Hi Guys

Right, I thought I had it right in my head the route my hubby needs to take, but now i'm even more confused.

Can someone please tell me what the correct procedure is for him to go through to have his qualifications/trade assessed, i think i'm have a totally 'blonde' day so please bear with me ;-)

We thought that there was new legislation which came in which meant he would just go through the TRA do i think 2 online assessments then a technical interview via skype with the Victoria Uni. Is this correct?

If this is correct and he passes does that give him his ARTC which would then enable him to proceed to go ahead and work towards his A licence?

Is it advisable to do all of this before even applying for your visa, we really don't want to apply for a visa to find he doesn't pass etc etc.

Many thanks from a very confused woman (now you know why my nickname is Dizzi lol)

Thanks guys

Dizzi x

Hi Dizzi,

I'm no expert in these matters but I'll try and point you in the right direction.

First of all I strongly suggest you seek the advice of a Registered Migration Agent.First consultations are usually free and they'll be able to tell you from the outset what your OH chances are ie if you have enough points. Skilled migration requirements change all the time. Even if you get the ball rolling now it will be a good few years before you get your visa.

Now, the confusing bit. Residents of the UK, along with a handful of other countries,cannot apply to the TRA for an ARTC. They must be assessed at a designated training centre by VETASSESS. Don't know why but it is the way it is.

This assessment I think will cost you ( and I'm not completely sure on this) around £1500. Add on visa costs. migration agent costs,medicals. It's not cheap.

The assessment,I think involves practical and theoretical examinations.

Again, I strongly suggest you seek the advice of an RMA.

Hope this helps.

Regards Derren

PS VETASSESS do not issue ARTC they issue OTSR. You are then require to do some gap training in OZ to obtain an A grade licence.

Hi Guys

Thanks guys

Dizzi x

Hi Dizzy,

We're in Ireland so we always used TRA for the skills assessment. I know there have been some changes to the way UK sparks do their skills assessment but to be honest I'm not 100% on how it works I think you can go through TRA from now on but double check.

If you can use TRA you will need to get a skills assessment from them in order to apply for your visa.

Trades Recognition Australia - Home

My oh did his last year and all he needed was all his relevant paper work eg. trade certs and log book (that's the system used here in Ireland) a reference and all his work experience, he was lucky as he worked for the same company for 20 years so not too much paper work to send. They didn't do an interview they just went on his paper work.

Then once you have a positive result you can apply for you visa, When your visa is granted you will need to apply to TRA AGAIN for an ARTC.You will need this to help gain your a grade licence.

Hope this helps I know how you feel its very hard to get your head round it all.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Maria.x

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked or answered on previous posts in this thread, but here goes:

Does anyone know, or have a rough idea what the average hourly wage for an electrician is in WA?

Initially, I will be without the WA A Grade licence, so trying to find out what the wages would be in this case. And then also, what the wage will be once A Grade licence is sorted?

I'm just looking for a rough guide to work with (trying to sort out finances!) so any info will be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jason

Hi Dizzy,

We're in Ireland so we always used TRA for the skills assessment. I know there have been some changes to the way UK sparks do their skills assessment but to be honest I'm not 100% on how it works I think you can go through TRA from now on but double check.

If you can use TRA you will need to get a skills assessment from them in order to apply for your visa.

Trades Recognition Australia - Home

My oh did his last year and all he needed was all his relevant paper work eg. trade certs and log book (that's the system used here in Ireland) a reference and all his work experience, he was lucky as he worked for the same company for 20 years so not too much paper work to send. They didn't do an interview they just went on his paper work.

Then once you have a positive result you can apply for you visa, When your visa is granted you will need to apply to TRA AGAIN for an ARTC.You will need this to help gain your a grade licence.

Hope this helps I know how you feel its very hard to get your head round it all.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Maria.x

Thanks Maria, that has actually made a lot of sense together with what i've read up on.

Thanks a lot guys, you have been fab

Dizzi x

Guest MaybeOz

Just making enquiries about the current job prospects for sparks in Adelaide / Melbourne / Brisbane (we're undecided where to head :rolleyes:).

We have our PR visas.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kari :wubclub:

Mick

Solar is up the air now as there are talks of pulling the rebates on the installs. Best way to get a licence is to get an ARTC cert, then go to SA and the the course at Peer Veet. They give you a workbook and as soon as you finish you fly down for two days and do an open book exam.

Bring the cert they give you and your ARTC cert to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs in SA, and they post out the licence to you in 6 weeks. Then transfer it to the state you are in.

I did it last year.I live in Sydney and they posted out the workbook, I filled it in and fly to SA for two days. He didn't really look at the workbook and we did the open book exam on the AS3000.

Practical I didn't do any?

I am having problems getting the ARTC cert to get the licence

Hi there,

Don't know for sure but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this may be an urban myth that sits alongside that other little gem that seems to pop up every few months or so , that they're going to close the PEER route.

It all seems to be based on rumour or " a mate of a mate of mine" and no-one has posted back a definitive answer one way or the other. Would like to know for sure as I don't want to waste a load of money if this does turn out to be true.

Regards Derren

I believe the SA Govt. are making so much money out of it that they have no intention of closing the door. They are always talking about making a national licence but then the state Govt. loose out on the revenue.

Guest Dave f87

How much is in the workbook? i have my ARTC, im just between minds weather to do the distance learning(workbook) or do it the 2-3wk classroom way, how intense is it? and what did u do the first day down there? cheers

How much is in the workbook? i have my ARTC, im just between minds weather to do the distance learning(workbook) or do it the 2-3wk classroom way, how intense is it? and what did u do the first day down there? cheers

The workbook total cost was around $500 that includes the two days in SA. (you pay ur own flights and hotel)

You just have to dig theu the wiring rules and search for the answers and there is cable calculations as well. I just copied my friends workbook.

First day you sit around and talk sh*te and at 2 he gave us the exam and we did a bit and finished it the next morning. He corrected it and any questions we got wrong he handed back the test and we just changed our answers, no big deal.

Guest Dave f87
The workbook total cost was around $500 that includes the two days in SA. (you pay ur own flights and hotel)

You just have to dig theu the wiring rules and search for the answers and there is cable calculations as well. I just copied my friends workbook.

First day you sit around and talk sh*te and at 2 he gave us the exam and we did a bit and finished it the next morning. He corrected it and any questions we got wrong he handed back the test and we just changed our answers, no big deal.

thats handy ****, i dont know why she told me there was a practical so, maybe its new. the total price now is $1450!! so you got there just in time, cheers.

Guest milliebooboo

Hello all electritians out there. Please can you give me some info ?? My friend wants to look into applying for a 175 or 176 visa. He has been a sparky for well over 10 years. Please can anyone tell me the qualifications he will need to apply for his skills assessment. He has 16th and 17th edition and inspection and testing. Is that enough to apply. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Guest southerngent

9a753b81-d.JPG

G'day!

For Australia Day 2011, pay no more than $20.11!*

That's right... Over 1,700 Australian Standards® have been massively discounted.

With savings up to $370 per Standard*, you could save a motza and improve your business!

But you have to be quick about it... this promo only runs til midnight on Australia Day 2011.

So, click here for a full listing of the discounted PDF Standards.

Here's a tip: on the left hand navigation panel, you will see Results by Subject. Just scroll down and hit the 'more' button to see the Subject Areas relevant to you.

This ripper offer is for a limited time only

So get crackin'! >>

NB: If you are a Standards On-Line user and want to add any of these documents to your service, please contact your Administrator who can organise that for you.

Simon Berglund

Sales and Marketing Bloke

Info Services

*Offer valid from 9.00 am 25/01/2011 - 11.59 pm (AEST) 26/01/2011. Price is $20.11 per copy of the Standard. Offer only valid for PDF purchases (hard copy at full price). Offer only available for purchases made on our InfoStore. N.B. Subscription clients who purchase a discounted Standard as part of this promotion, please be aware that you will not be able to renew at the discounted price.

thats handy ****, i dont know why she told me there was a practical so, maybe its new. the total price now is $1450!! so you got there just in time, cheers.

Hi Dave,

My OH is doing the distance learning workbook at the moment he's just finished and is hoping to sit the test sometime in the next few months.

Their is a practical exam and the test is sit over 4 days it all changed in November.

Hope you dont mind me asking how did you get your ARTC did you apply from Dublin?

My hubbie was looking to apply to TRA from here( Dublin ) for ARTC but thought you had to be in oz.

Thanks.

Maria.

Guest Chhetri

Hi

Is anybody got supervised Workers Licence under category 3 from Offshore like me (qualification with out ARTC) or who are just granted visa?

Supervised Worker's Licence

A Supervised Worker's Licence entitles the holder (in accordance with any further conditions on the licence) to carry out all electrical installation work in Victoria under the effective supervision of a licensed electrician. This licence is issued for a maximum of three years and may not be renewed.

Application for a supervised worker’s licence

You can apply for a licence if you meet one of the following criteria:

• Criteria 1
    • Completed a four year contract of training as an electrical fitter, and
    • Holds a Certificate III in Electrical (Electrical Fitter) or equivalent; and
    • Satisfactorily completed a practical examination in safely disconnecting and reconnecting electrical equipment conducted by a body approved by ESV.

• Criteria 2
    • Completed a four year contract of training as an apprentice electrician, that included at least 12 months experience in electrical installation work; and
    • Partially completed the Certificate III in Electrotechnology-Systems Electrician; and
    • Satisfactorily completed a practical examination in safely disconnecting and reconnecting electrical equipment conducted by a body approved by ESV.

• Criteria 3
    • The person's standard of qualifications, proficiency and experience in electrical installation work is at least of an equivalent standard to that required under the points 1 and 2 above.

Applying to be licensed

• Criteria 1 – an application form should be lodged with ESV, with the following:
    • The Certificate of Completion of an apprenticeship from the Office of Training and Further Education; and
    • Certificate III in Electrical (Electrical Fitter) or equivalent; and
    • Evidence of satisfactorily completing a practical examination in safely disconnecting and reconnecting an electrical installation; and
    • Application fee.

• Criteria 2 – An application form should be lodged with ESV, with the following:
    • The Certificate of Completion of an apprenticeship from the Office of Training and Further Education; and
    • Evidence of 12 months experience in carrying out electrical installation work (for example:. Letter from employer giving details); and
    • Evidence of satisfactorily completing a practical examination in safely disconnecting and reconnecting an electrical installation.
    • Evidence of undertaking a course of training for schooling from a Recognised Training Provider; and
    • Application fee.

• Criteria 3
    • An application form should be lodged with ESV, demonstrating the equivalent standard of qualifications, proficiency and experience in electrical installation work.
    • Application fee.

Fees

The application fee must be paid at the time your application for a licence is submitted.

Your responsibilities as a Supervised Workers Licence Holder

As a licence-holder, it is your responsibility to understand the legislation and regulations in place at any time and work in accordance with them: