Guest James.S

I am an Irish sparks and have to do a skype interview with Victoria University as part of my TRA.

Does anyone have any idea what is in this interview as I need to brush up ASAP.

Cheers.

there is no such trade as general electrician in oz . electrical fitter is maintenance electrician ie lift tech or factory maint spark etc .electrical mechanic is installations etc wiring buildings ,and must have knowledge of cabling etc. the tra will asses you as to which you belong to . if they asses you as fitter you can still do your wiring rules exam later and upgrade.anyway its all bollocks until your assesed" electrical principles for the electrical trades by jim jennison " is a good book for principles .they will ask you lots about motor srarters , so brush up on studies .good luck

Guest MaybeOz
there is no such trade as general electrician in oz . electrical fitter is maintenance electrician ie lift tech or factory maint spark etc .electrical mechanic is installations etc wiring buildings ,and must have knowledge of cabling etc. the tra will asses you as to which you belong to . if they asses you as fitter you can still do your wiring rules exam later and upgrade.anyway its all bollocks until your assesed" electrical principles for the electrical trades by jim jennison " is a good book for principles .they will ask you lots about motor srarters , so brush up on studies .good luck

Hi

Could you just clarify what positions my hubby should be looking at in Aus then - we have PR visas gained under the title 'General Electrician' but you say that there is no such trade as this :huh:

Hubby runs his own business in the UK carry out domestic, industrial, commercial, telecoms installations, inspection and testing, intruder detection, aerials, computer cabling, fire alarms, CCTV etc

Thanks

K :wubclub:

Hiya, it's TRA

Hi Rob are you applying to TRA so you can apply for your visa ??? if so then it will be for general electrician.

This changes after you have your visa and are in Australia, you have to apply again to TRA for an ARTC an Australian recognized trade cert so you can get your licence.

You will have to choose to be assessed as an electrical fitter or electrical mechanic.

Mechanic is the one you want as its not restricted.

Hi

Could you just clarify what positions my hubby should be looking at in Aus then - we have PR visas gained under the title 'General Electrician' but you say that there is no such trade as this :huh:

Hubby runs his own business in the UK carry out domestic, industrial, commercial, telecoms installations, inspection and testing, intruder detection, aerials, computer cabling, fire alarms, CCTV etc

Thanks

Hi K,

I know its very confusing, they dont like to make it easy for us, its General electrical for migration. For the licence you will need to apply as an electrical mechanic.

Guest MaybeOz
Hi K,

I know its very confusing, they dont like to make it easy for us, its General electrical for migration. For the licence you will need to apply as an electrical mechanic.

Hiya

No, they definitely don't like to make anything easy!! Thanks for the info :wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adamp8700

Hello everyone,

I have just discovered this website when I was googleing VETASSESS. Ive filled out all the application forms and Im now waiting for approval to book the exam... can anyone tell me how long they had to wait for approval? (Ive been waiting 2 weeks now).

Also, when vetassess contact you, do they provide a breakdown of the exam day?

Im sure these questions have been asked a million times before but I cant find anything recent.

Any help would be great.

Guest lloyd1980

Hi all just thought I would give you this info as I have found it VERY informative

I emailed the Dept of Energy in WA ref obtaining a license when arriving they sent me this.

Hi Lloyd

Your choice if you wish to be assessed before you leave or if you wait until you are in Australia. VETASSESS will assess in your country of origin and TRA will assess if you are already in Australia.

Once we have received your application and you have been assessed by us we will send you to do the Electrical Trade Licensing Course and when you have successfully completed the course you will be granted your Licence according to the endorsement you have bee assessed by either VETASSESS or TRA.

If you have been assessed as an Electrical Mechanic and once you have been granted your Licence you can then apply to do the Electrical Contractors Training Program so that you may be a self employed electrician/contractor. You can not do this process until you have been granted a full electricians licence with no restrictions.

Below is the link to the application form you will need once you have been assessed by either VETASSESS or TRA

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/PDF/Forms/R018%200710.pdf

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Senior Customer Service Officer - Licensing Office

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

I then asked them to clarify exactly what the cert needs to read from VETASSES so I get an unrestricted license enabling me to go self employed, and got this back ;

Hi Lloyd

If you are assessed by TRA it needs to be Electrical Mechanic if you are

assessed by VETASSESS it needs to read

Offshore Technical Skills Record in relation to Units of Competency

within the Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Senior Customer Service Officer - Licensing Office

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303

Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

so all those about look into licenses , I hope this helps

I intend to go self employed after 12 months experience working there to get me up to speed with their ways of doing things, I know know what I need to get an unrestricted license.

Hope this helps someone like it helped me

:biggrin: happy days

Lloyd

Guest Count Zero
Hi

Thanks

You don't need an electrical licence to do most of things you have mentioned. Only if you are installing fixed power wiring.

You may need the new version of the Austel licence though. It used to be a 3 day course I think.

You don't need an electrical licence to do most of things you have mentioned. Only if you are installing fixed power wiring.

You may need the new version of the Austel licence though. It used to be a 3 day course I think.

Hi there

Most of the things mentioned do require a 240v power supply which may need to be added on to existing installations. He would then require a A grade licence in order to provide the outlets required.

He would therefore require an Electrical Mechanics licence.

Regards Derren

Guest Count Zero
Hi there

Most of the things mentioned do require a 240v power supply which may need to be added on to existing installations. He would then require a A grade licence in order to provide the outlets required.

He would therefore require an Electrical Mechanics licence.

Regards Derren

Sure but all the AV, security guys and telecoms guys just get a spark to plonk a socket in where its needed. It doesn't stop them installing their systems.

This is normal practice here in QLD.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

After much deliberation, I feel like most people here TRA (and maybe PEER) is the way forward. I've got my Visa already so no worries there, but like most had to go down the dead end Vetassess path. Trouble is, besides feeling like I'm starting all over again from three years ago when I did my Vetassess. My references required for TRA are going to be hard to come by. I've worked via agencies for the last ten years. With most projects being filled exclusively with agencie staff (engineers, managers, supervisors etc). So as the project disbands, these people move on are no longer with the same companies. I don't believe either that working through an agency is classified as being self employed by TRA. Also the recruitment agencies can give a letter stating I was on such a such contract at whatever period, but they are however unable to give a technical reference of duties etc.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to myself? Or does anyone know exactly what information they've supplied themselves in order to gain their ARTC.

Thanks.

Hello,

After much deliberation, I feel like most people here TRA (and maybe PEER) is the way forward. I've got my Visa already so no worries there, but like most had to go down the dead end Vetassess path. Trouble is, besides feeling like I'm starting all over again from three years ago when I did my Vetassess. My references required for TRA are going to be hard to come by. I've worked via agencies for the last ten years. With most projects being filled exclusively with agencie staff (engineers, managers, supervisors etc). So as the project disbands, these people move on are no longer with the same companies. I don't believe either that working through an agency is classified as being self employed by TRA. Also the recruitment agencies can give a letter stating I was on such a such contract at whatever period, but they are however unable to give a technical reference of duties etc.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to myself? Or does anyone know exactly what information they've supplied themselves in order to gain their ARTC.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. Also I can't get references for my apprenticeship, some companies that have gone out of business and can only get basic references from the agencies stating that I was employed as an electrician and dates of employment.

In all cases I will be submitting a 'statutory declaration' stating why I can't get a detailed reference , dates of employment, hours of work, the type of projects I worked on, the tasks I carried out and the tools I used. I've written them up myself and will take them to a solicitor to have them witnessed and signed.

Seemingly, they charge about a fiver so shop around if you get any silly charges.

When submitting to the TRA, supply as much evidence as possible ie pay slips, basic references from agencies, contracts of employment, notice of termination, any document you have which would back up your claim.

I've had to write about 1/2 a dozen and it's a pain in the arse but it has to be done.

Here's a LINK on how to write up a stat dec.

Best of luck

Regards Derren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bellabain

Hey, I am a self employed spark and have bee asked to provide evidence of operation (non financial) Trying to do a statement,

Any one got any tips?

Not sure what evidence of operation non financial means? Are they want proof you are working?? send your accounts??

Here is another one we have just had today - for vic ss -

Please note our panel assessors have recently requested all applicants for the nominated occupation Electrician to provide any ‘qualification transcripts’ and ‘licences’, if these are available. I acknowledge that you have already provided many documents in this respect, however if there are any that you have not yet included that would be classed as transcripts or licenses please send these now.

Any idea what Transcripts are ?? Feel like perhaps we have not sent them something really important to all this??

Guest bellabain

went sent all our account, we sent a statement saying exactly what he does, also got asked for transcripts plus over seas qualifications, which we already sent. Am glad we are not the only people feel a bit confused!

Guest graham spragg
Thanks for that info, any idea what sort of questions are asked for electrical mechanic in the TRA interview?

Hi,

They are going to ask you all sorts of questions from inspection and testing through to motor controls, and if like me you haven't used this knowledge on motors sinse college, you may be in trouble. You may need to brush up on motors and motor controls and testing procedures. the other stuff is quite straight forward. If you fail this test they will make you go to tafe to complete modules on every subject you fail on. The phone interview is completed by an individual in front of a computer screen reading questions off the screen looking for key words, if you do not say these key words they may fail you as they did me. Do not make the same mistake as me and take this phone interview lightly!

Guest graham spragg

I would think the same sort of questions, to be honest. make sure you brush up on all your basic's. Its not an easy test! Hopefully they won't ask you about motors and motor controls. hope this helps

Guest frenchieOZ

thanks Graham, i am still waiting for the TRA and if it comes positive ,i don't know whether to go with vetassess or the skype interview.i am a french electrician and i m not confident with the interview,so im undecided........is it really hard..?can you give us some example of questions?if is possible....

many thanks