Guest James.S

Hi James in our case my OH is doing the course in peer in Adelaide through distance learning, he just started the work book.

He has an employer willing to sponsor him in NSW so will have to change the licence to a NSW one, the employer said once he had a SA licence he could work for him straight away.

He will also be working with solar power and has to do a solar design and install ticket just wondering if you know anything about this course ?

Thanks a mill James.

Maria

Guest James.S
Hi James in our case my OH is doing the course in peer in Adelaide through distance learning, he just started the work book.

He has an employer willing to sponsor him in NSW so will have to change the licence to a NSW one, the employer said once he had a SA licence he could work for him straight away.

He will also be working with solar power and has to do a solar design and install ticket just wondering if you know anything about this course ?

Thanks a mill James.

Maria

Hi Maria,

Whereabouts in NSW are you heading and have you spoken to the sponsor in the last couple of weeks..? The solar industry in NSW was exploding and there was a massive shortage of electricians up to about 2 weeks ago. Since the end of Oct the rebate was cut on a gross feed in tarrif in NSW by the state government taking it from being the best in Australia to the worst.. a lot of solar companies are not looking too healthy at the moment.. So you better check they are still offering the sponsorship.

I am the technical sales manager and system designer for a NSW solar business so I know whats going on first hand.

Reagrding his license etc, yes he can get a supervised license in NSW with a Vetassess certificate as soon as he gets here and can work with an electrician. To get the SA license he will need to do the PEER VET AS/NZS wiring rules course, have a TAFE recognised business qualification as well as an ARTC certificate, then it can be converted to to a full supervisors card in NSW.

To be qualified to instal solar systems he will need to be CEC (Clean Energy Council) registered, to do this he will need to do a course as specified on their website, some of this can be done via distance learning but there will be classroom modules as well as needing a valid Australian license and depending on experiance it can take up to a year to get..

Hope this helps to start..

All the best;

James..

:jimlad:

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply don't you sleep LOL.... yea i saw that on the news a few weeks ago i was wondering how it would affect the sponsorship.

My OH spoke to his sponsor last Monday and as far as he was aware it was still going ahead they had applied to the board to be certified.

I didn't realise the CEC course took so long, I was thinking 3 months or so, he's been an electrician for 20 years so has lots of experience, don't know if that makes a difference.

We are in Ireland so my OH is not required to do vetassess only TRA which he has done for the 176.

As soon as (IF) the 457 comes through he will be ready to do his full licence.

I'm slightly confused about the business qualification peer never mentioned it neither did the SA licencing authority.

Can you tell me what kind of business qualification ?

Thanks for all your help James much appreciated.

Maria.

Guest James.S
Hi James,

Thanks for the reply don't you sleep LOL.... yea i saw that on the news a few weeks ago i was wondering how it would affect the sponsorship.

My OH spoke to his sponsor last Monday and as far as he was aware it was still going ahead they had applied to the board to be certified.

I didn't realise the CEC course took so long, I was thinking 3 months or so, he's been an electrician for 20 years so has lots of experience, don't know if that makes a difference.

We are in Ireland so my OH is not required to do vetassess only TRA which he has done for the 176.

I'm slightly confused about the business qualification peer never mentioned it neither did the SA licencing authority.

Maria.

Hi Maria,

I have just been over the information from the OCBA in SA regarding licensing and there is no real application to go from having no license to a full license, you have to take parts from both pathway's . for example, if you are applying as an overseas qualified electrician then the following applies;

Plumbing Workers Registration

Gas Fitting Workers Registration

Electrical Workers Registration

Overseas Qualifications

If you intend to perform Plumbing, Gas Fitting and Electrical work in South Australia, you must hold an appropriate Workers Registration with the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995.

A Plumbing Workers Registration allows you to carry out water plumbing work, sanitary plumbing work, draining work, or the installation or testing of backflow prevention devices, subject to conditions limiting the work that may be carried out under the authority of the registration.

A Gas Fitting Workers Registration allows you to install, alter, repair, maintain or disconnect any pipes or equipment, to convey or utilise gas (including associated gas ventilation equipment) downstream of:

1. the outlet of a meter installed for measuring consumption of reticulated gas supplied by a licensed gas supplier under the Gas Act 1988; or

2. the outlet of any gas storage tank or cylinder,

subject to conditions limiting (in anyway) the work that may be carried out under the authority of the registration.

An Electrical Workers Registration allows you to install, alter, repair or maintain an electrical installation, subject to conditions limiting (in anyway) the work that may be carried out under the authority of the registration.

Pathways to obtaining recognised Qualifications

If you are a skilled migrant and wish to apply for any of the Workers Registrations above, there are three pathways to obtaining the required qualifications for a registration; they are VETASSESS, Trade Recognition Australia (TRA), and ANZRA.

VETASSESS

If you are from India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the Philippines, you can obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through VETASSESS to assist in your application for a restricted workers registration. If you are a migrant with the following skills; general plumber/gas fitter, general electrician, air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic, cable jointer, and electrical powerlines tradesperson, VETASSESS will assess your technical skills and list the units of competencies that you have completed on the OTSR.

Once you have obtained an OTSR, you can apply with OCBA for a restricted registration to work under direct supervision until you complete the gap training requirements.

When you have completed your gap training, you will be issued a certificate (from the list overleaf), and you will then be able to apply for a change in condition of your registration with OCBA.

Continued over…

Last Updated 18 June 2010 1Last Updated 18 June 2010 2

The OTSR must show you have been assessed as having the required technical skills in one of the following qualifications. Please note you will be required to present an original or certified copy of your certificate with your application.

Restricted Electrical Workers Registration:

1. Certificate III - Electrotechnology Electrician (UEE30806)

2. Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Distribution (UET30206), and/or

3. Certificate III - Electrical Supply Industry - Cable Jointing (UET30406),

4. Certificate in Engineering - Mechanical Trade (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning), or

5. Certificate III in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (UEE31306)

Restricted Gas Fitting Workers Registration:

1. Certificate III in Plumbing (Gas Fitting) ( BCP30103)

2. Certificate III in Gas Fitting (BCP 30403)

Restricted Plumbing Workers Registration:

1. Certificate III in Plumbing (Water Plumbing, Sanitary Plumbing, Drainage) (BCP30103)

Please contact VETASSESS for further information with regards to obtaining an OTSR:

VETASSESS

Level 4, 478 Albert Street

EAST MELBOURNE VIC 3002

Phone: +61 3 9655 4801

Website: VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services

Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration. TRA will assess your current qualifications/experience and technical skills and list the units of competency that you have completed on the ARTC.

Once you have been issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.

If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an unrestricted registration, you will also be required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam.

For further information on the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam you may wish to contact either of the following organisations:

Regency Institute of TAFE (08) 8348 4426

PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200

Adelaide Training & Employment Centre (ATEC) (08) 8240 1233

So the ARTC and the PEER TEC course for the AS/NZS3000:2007 wiring rules is required to get you applied for and then partially upgraded to the full contractors license although part of the following applies, i.e. the business criteria;

Guidelines for Licence Applicants

Electrical Contractors Licence

If you intend to carry on the business of performing electrical work for others in South Australia, you must hold an Electrical Contractors Licence with the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995.

Electrical work includes the installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of an electrical installation, and includes work of a class prescribed by regulation.

How do I apply?

To apply for an Electrical Contractors Licence, you can contact the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA), Plumbers, Gas-Fitting & Electrical Licensing Section, on (08) 8204 9696, or visit OCBA (details above) for our services.

Individual and/or Partnership Electrical Contractors Licence

When applying for this Licence, you must provide the following items, along with your signed application form:

Fees

The correct application and pre-grant fee. Please refer to the attached Fee Schedule.

Business Criteria

Evidence of successful completion in the relevant approved business qualifications. Please refer to Business Criteria Fact Sheet for list of approved Business courses and/or experience.

Please note: Only original copies of qualifications and documents, or copies certified by a Justice of the Peace, or a proclaimed member of the Police Force or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits will be accepted.

Financial Requirement

The Financial Requirement of $8,000 in adjusted net assets is required; otherwise you will be issued with a financial limitation. If net assets are in deficit, you will not meet the financial requirement.

National Police Certificate

A National Police Certificate in relation to yourself and your partner/s (if applicable). The certificate must be no more than three months old preceding the date of lodgement of the licence application, and must be either an original document, or a copy certified by a Justice of the Peace, or a proclaimed member of the Police Force or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. To obtain this certificate you will need to apply direct to the Police in your state.

Electrical Work Requirement

To contract for any electrical work, which includes the installation of fixed electrical wiring, evidence of completion of one of the following modules must also be provided:

Single Phase Electrical Installation Testing Course (Training provider: PEER TEC);

or

NUE408 Electrical Installation Testing & Verification (Training provider: TAFE;

or

NE171 Electrical Installation Safety Testing - Electrical Stream Module (Training provider: TAFE);

or

TAFE SA’s 18 week course and assessment on AS/NZS3000:2007 Wiring Rules.

The business critera element is as follows;

Business Criteria

Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians

To meet the business knowledge and experience requirement for a business condition under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995 you must satisfy one of the criteria approved by the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs.

Please note

All qualifications and documentation submitted with an application must be in the full and legal name of the applicant and must be an original or certified copy.

Individuals, or at least one individual in a partnership or partners combined, or at least one director, or directors combined, must supply with their licence application evidence of having one of the following criteria unless otherwise instructed.

Currently hold a contractor licence under the Building Work Contractors Act 1995; Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995 or Security and Investigation Agents Act 1995, which authorises you to carry on business as a sole trader, or as a sole director.

OR

A Statement of Attainment showing successful completion of, or status granted in, the following two units of competency conferred by a Registered Training Organisation to deliver the units:

BSBSBM401A/ BSBSMB401A - Establish business & legal requirements/ Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business; and

BSBSBM402A/BSBSMB402A - Undertake financial planning/ Plan small business finances.

OR

A Statement of Attainment showing successful completion of, or status granted in (Recognition of current competencies), KFBL Small Business Management.

OR

Successful completion of a business, economics or accounting related degree or diploma from Australia or New Zealand (related degree or diploma must include core competencies covering costing, financial planning, business law etc).

Continue overleaf …

Last updated 26 May 2009 2

OR

An academic statement showing successful completion of, or status granted in (Recognition of current competencies), the four modules from the Certificate IV in Small Business Management: Electrical

Cost, Profit & Breakeven; and

Business Finance; and

Ownership Structures; and

Business Law: and

Planning for success; and

Marketing.

Plumbing & Gas Fitting

Planning for Success; and

Cost, Profit & Breakeven; and

Marketing.

So it's a bit of a process but basically you need a few more things than just the ARTC and reg's course, you als need the business qualification, Police certificate and $8000 etc etc...

Hope that helps and makes sense

All the best;

James...

Hi James,

My OH needs to go down the TRA route, This is how i am reading it "please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not %100" Once the visa is granted he can apply for his ARTC, you then have 2 options, can apply for a restricted licence or If you complete the wiring regs course you can change it to a full licence.

As far as i am aware you do not need to apply for a restricted licence you can do the wiring regs course first and then apply for the full licence.

I think the business criteria only applies if you intend to operate a business in SA so wont affect him.

OH its all so confusing is should be the same for each state.

More bloody hoops to jump through.

Thanks James,

Maria.

Guest James.S
Hi James,

My OH needs to go down the TRA route, This is how i am reading it "please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not %100" Once the visa is granted he can apply for his ARTC, you then have 2 options, can apply for a restricted licence or If you complete the wiring regs course you can change it to a full licence.

As far as i am aware you do not need to apply for a restricted licence you can do the wiring regs course first and then apply for the full licence.

I think the business criteria only applies if you intend to operate a business in SA so wont affect him.

OH its all so confusing is should be the same for each state.

More bloody hoops to jump through.

Thanks James,

Maria.

Hi,

Yes you are mostly there, part of the distinction between a full licnese and a supervised or contractors license is the ability to be the primary contractor and therefore being the one quoting for a job and running it, therefore they require you to have the business criteria to prove you can manage this as well as the financial backing to support running a business. Although you may not (or your OH) actually be doing this the license will allow for it so you need to prove you can do it...

This will be just one of many many hoops you will be jumping through once over here, you better get used to it..!

All the best,

James

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tweedle

Hi

Im planning on starting an apprenticeship in Oz, ideally Melbourne. Im 22 years old from London but for the last 2 and a half years have been living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia so living away from home is not a problem and there wouldnt ever be a time I would wanna pack it in because Im home sick.

I was previously an apprentice in London back in 2007 however 5 or 6 months into my apprenticeship the company went bust and I was out of the job. As Im sure most of you know, trying to get an apprenticeship in the UK these days is ridiculously hard.

Ever since I got laid off, I tried for nearly a year for someone to take me on so I could continue but no one did. That is when I looked into doing it in Oz. Since then I have been saving up pretty much every penny I have earnt over the last 3 years in order to become an fully qualified sparky and now I have enough.

Im wondering if you guys can give me any insight in how easy/difficult it is for a local employer to hire a foreigner. Should I go to college and do the preapprenticeship course? From the ads I have seen posted on the net, some prefer it but on the whole it doesnt seem like it is 100% needed. Money isnt a problem in terms of getting there, accomodation and what not and I honestly couldnt care less what I get paid just aslong as I can start an apprenticeship again. Are any of you looking for an apprentice or know someone that is? Any help is much appreciated and I would be 100% commited to the job.

Thanks

Guest sparkylee
Hi James,

Maria.

The CEC accreditation course for design and install is now done in a week in victoria.

It has been for about a year now.

You have to be an electrician to get accredited in install.

No distance learning or home study required anymore.:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone heard of anyone being rejected from applying for a licence from qld or wa with a sa license?. the rumour is that both wa and qld are awakening to the fact that the sa route is a "short cut" because they have only one class of license. any feedback would be great .cheers

just read form11.... it says " if you have one of the licenses listed above (any interstate) and wish to apply for for a queensland license then you may do so on the basis of mutual recognitionc. So it looks to me that its all good. one would think!!!!?? v

has anyone heard of anyone being rejected from applying for a licence from qld or wa with a sa license?. the rumour is that both wa and qld are awakening to the fact that the sa route is a "short cut" because they have only one class of license. any feedback would be great .cheers

Hi there,

Don't know for sure but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this may be an urban myth that sits alongside that other little gem that seems to pop up every few months or so , that they're going to close the PEER route.

It all seems to be based on rumour or " a mate of a mate of mine" and no-one has posted back a definitive answer one way or the other. Would like to know for sure as I don't want to waste a load of money if this does turn out to be true.

Regards Derren

Guest raymie

maybe your right" DERREN7"!!!!!! the peer course has gone from 40 hrs to 56 hrs duration and the 2011 info sheet from sa still says to have the supervision restriction lifted you must do the wiring rules exam, and as i said before the qld gov website still says that sa license is still mutually recognised so maybe this is all a load of crap .......good luck

Guest southerngent
Hi guys

I am currently doing the workbook through PEER does anyone have any idea as to where i can find info (diagrams) on switchboard wiring its doing my head in cheers if you can help

Neil

I have been recommened the following books by tafe ( and rented them from the tafe )

Hampson, Jeffery Electrical trade principles : a practical approach

Hampson, Jeffery Electrotechnology practice

These 2 should cover all you need.

Guest rainman hoffman

hey all ive got a few questions I applied for a 487 skilled regional state sponsored visa a while ago and am wondering which states I can still apply for to get sponsored by and any suggestions on which one I should go for Ive been working in perth for the last year and a bit but wondering on yer thoughts ive put in for this visa for the bridging it gives and as a backup as im really looking for sponsorship but if sponsorship dosnt happen i want to have a backup!!!!! Any insight on this would be much helpful

Guest leccyman

hi Rainyc,

are you doing the Peer thing whilst still in the UK? I didn't know you could do that if so, could you let me know how you went about it?

cheers

A mate of mine got his sa changed to wa just a few weeks ago with no problems so i wouldnt worry to much

hi there,

I know that if you deemed as an electrical fitter by the TRA you will encounter problems converting an SA licence to a WA licence. If you are classed as an electrical mechanic by the TRA then there should be no problems. I suspect this is probably the case with Queensland also.

Regards Derren

Guest Steve/Beck

Hi James,

I am due to do my Vetassess on the 22nd Feb. I have not hardly touched a tool in a while and i did my exams 10 years ago. To be quite honest i am cacking it at the thought of failing this exam as i turn 35 in April and i will have to start the process over again. Is there anywhere i can revise any old exams or anything or any websites that will help. I do have all my old part one stuff that i can go through which will help but wiring up motors and things is worrying.

Steve..(cacking it......)

Hi James,

I am due to do my Vetassess on the 22nd Feb. I have not hardly touched a tool in a while and i did my exams 10 years ago. To be quite honest i am cacking it at the thought of failing this exam as i turn 35 in April and i will have to start the process over again. Is there anywhere i can revise any old exams or anything or any websites that will help. I do have all my old part one stuff that i can go through which will help but wiring up motors and things is worrying.

Steve..(cacking it......)

Hi Steve,

Don't worry too much mate. Plenty of sparks in the same position as you. Try this LINK for starters. Heaps of info to get your head around.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Regards Derren

Has any one used Queensland Electrical Training to complete there Vetassess training to get an electrical mechanical license??

I have been working through the training now for the past 8 months and have my assessment the end of the month and was wondering what to expect.

Whats involved in the exam and the practical exam ??? as any one failed the assessment??

Any advice would be a great help

Thanks

Stewart

Guest Mick00

Hi all I'm 23 (24 at time of travel) year old from Dublin heading to Perth on a one year working visa with the hopes of staying for a second year or possibly if all goes well getting sponsored, at the end of May. Is there any courses anybody could recommend to increase my chances of getting a job in the electrical field when I arrive. Is there a way of getting my WA electrical licence before I travel or must I wait until I get there? Are my chances of getting sponsored realistic? Also I was considering doing a FETAC course on solar panel installations, would this be worthwhile doing before travelling. Thanks any help is much appreciated:biggrin: