Guest James.S

Guest raymie
hi guys anyone know what the trade test entails for electrical fitter ??. Tra has told me do apply for this .

i would appreciate some help thanks

Guest graham spragg
Hi Steve

Glad to hear its getting warmer you.

I cant wait to get over and start enjoying the QLD weather, beach, snags, tinies etc

Are you a ford or holden man?

I've sent Chris an email and hope to hear from him soon.

Just a little concerned about the whole not having a vettesses situation but have

already been told not to worry about it.

carry on with your artc application it carries more weight that the vetts cert

How is the work situation looking down under?

not good to be honest its dead at the moment and i cannot see any improvement, though the goverment would try to convince you otherwise

Things do seem to be picking up again over here (at last) never been so busy, having to turn work down!

might be work hanging on for 12 months if thats an option?

Graham

regards steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice, i did say that work has picked up over here but who knows how long for!

Is it really that dead over there, is there no light at the end of the tunnel?

we would love to land in December so hopefuly it will have picked up by then.

I've sent my ARTC form off as instructed, so i'll have that back soon.

Thanks again

Graham

Guest StokieSpark
Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice, i did say that work has picked up over here but who knows how long for!

Is it really that dead over there, is there no light at the end of the tunnel?

we would love to land in December so hopefuly it will have picked up by then.

I've sent my ARTC form off as instructed, so i'll have that back soon.

Thanks again

Graham

Hi Guys

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, just filling my SR2.6 out at the moment and would be greatful of any help and advice.

Also what do I expect on the assessment day.

Seen load of threads about assessment days which are all different!!!

I am from the Staffordshire area and any help would be great.

You can email me on: scott@fulvic.co.uk

Many ,many thanks for any help.

Scott

Guest steve the spark
Hi guys anyone know what the trade test entails for electrical fitter ??. Tra has told me do apply for this .

are they asking for a practical or phone based exam ?

did you apply as a fitter ? just that a mechanic is the better of the two,

and have you come via a vettesses based visa?

Guest steve the spark
Hi Guys

Sorry to put a spanner in the works, just filling my SR2.6 out at the moment and would be greatful of any help and advice.

Also what do I expect on the assessment day.

Seen load of threads about assessment days which are all different!!!

I am from the Staffordshire area and any help would be great.

You can email me on: scott@fulvic.co.uk

Many ,many thanks for any help.

Scott

is that a vettesses assessment ?

Guest steve the spark
i would appreciate some help thanks

mate youve posted at three on a sunday afternoon lawns need cutting beers need drinking :wink:

Guest raymie

thanks for answering my call for help . (my lawn is nice and short and i was drinking at the time) the tra want me to do a "full on" trade test for electrical fitter at a tafe (not fitter mechanic) that will come later.do you know what this entails ??? so i dont waste my time studying the wrong subjects .i last attended tech in edinburgh 1974!!! 55yo (old fart). have lived in oz 8years.info would be greatly app THANKS steve

Guest steve the spark
thanks for answering my call for help . (my lawn is nice and short and i was drinking at the time) the tra want me to do a "full on" trade test for electrical fitter at a tafe (not fitter mechanic) that will come later.do you know what this entails ??? so i dont waste my time studying the wrong subjects .i last attended tech in edinburgh 1974!!! 55yo (old fart). have lived in oz 8years.info would be greatly app THANKS steve

see post nine:wink:

ARTC trade test : British Expat Discussion Forum

Guest steve the spark
Hi Steve

Yes it is Vetessess

Cheers

do a search here mate dozens of guys have done the assesenmnt and have written about the exam

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

ie

http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2617575

this post is handy for the pratical theory exam

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520432

Guest steve the spark
Hi all im thinking of buying a new tester then bringing it to oz with me , what if any are the fundamental differences between the multi functional testers we use here and the ones they use in oz?????

no mate

supply voltage here is 240 @ 50hz identical to the uk so meters from iether counrty are ideal

to be honest the testig side of things is alot simpler than the uk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickpearson

Though i'd say hello all,

Just starting the process and wading my way through te site to get as much info as possible!

My names Nick,

Have 20 years experience as a spark and also have done a few years on the railway as a signalling technician. 36 years old and myself and family are hoping to move to Australia one day:biggrin:

Glad i found this thread, theres a lot of pages to go through!

Cheers all,

Nick

Guest ElliottWhite

Hi,

I am new to this site and thinking of emigrating to Australia, most probably Perth, and am looking from some help and information please.

I am currently an Electrical Maintenance Engineer/Technician (sometimes referred to as an Industrial Electrician) in a factory that produces wood based panel products (MDF and Chipboard, laminate flooring, kitchen worktops etc.). I have experience with fault finding and using PLC's (Siemens S5 and S7). Also the usual stuff, AC and DC motors/drives, invertors, sensors and switches, relays and contactors, panel building and none industrial such as lighting and power circuits. I have also got experience with Instrumentation & Control, i.e. Flow meters, Level transmitters, Valve controllers, 4...20mA signals etc.

My qualifications are as follows;

NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations (Including Hand/bench fitting, Wiring and Testing Electrical circuits, Electronics, Electrical Plant),

NVQ Level 3 Electrical Maintenance,

ONC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering,

HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Could anyone please tell me if these qualifications are suitable for use in WA and what I would have to do to emigrate, in terms of exams etc...

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong thread.

Many Thanks,

Elliott

Guest english reject

Morning Elliot,

2 routes,

1 TRA ( ARTC ) electrician special class ,

2 Vetassess ( OTSR ) general electrician,

Have you looked at britishexpats ( working abroad by proffesion ) ???, there is a lot of info on there.

I think given your experiance you would fall under electrician special class ( might be wrong ).

Good luck.

Guest ElliottWhite

Hi English reject and thanks for your reply. Your information is greatly appreciated. I haven't checked it out yet, but will do now! Thanks again and take care

Guest boundsy

Hi all

I'm hoping to come over to the brisbane area in april to work as an electrican. I didn't realise there was so much paperwork involved. The vetassess sounds very similar to the AM2 test that i did years ago after college. Is it the same thing? Also i was wondering how much it all costs to get the relevent paperwork so i can work in oz. Any help i recieve would be great as i'm very new to all of this.

Regards

Lee

Guest boundsy

Hi all

My qualifications say that i'm a domestic electrican, but all my carreer i've been an industrial, quarrys and factorys etc. I had to do a domestic course as that was the only one in the area. I've worked with inverters, panel building, fault finding, ac/dc motors, installation of heavy machinery ect. I'm hoping to work in the brisbane area but i'm not sure what type of electrican i would come under. I was hoing one of you kind people would be able to help

Many Thanks

Lee

Guest southerngent
Hi all

I'm hoping to come over to the brisbane area in april to work as an electrican. I didn't realise there was so much paperwork involved. The vetassess sounds very similar to the AM2 test that i did years ago after college. Is it the same thing? Also i was wondering how much it all costs to get the relevent paperwork so i can work in oz. Any help i recieve would be great as i'm very new to all of this.

Regards

Lee

The type of visa can dictate which route u take. If its a permanent one you need to decide TRA or vetaccess and where see you in a few years not next month. If ur lucky enough to have a defacto or similar (or if ur young enough to get a working holiday visa) you can apply to TRA once ur here, then the fun begins.

give us some more info and were try to help you further.

Guest boundsy

Hi

I'm coming over on a working visa holiday in april. Staying for a year and hoping to apply for residency after that. I'm just unsure of the route to take paperwork wise.

Thanks for the info

Lee

Guest southerngent

Then my guess is TRA is your best route

Skills Assessment for ARTC - Overview

Get the application prepared before you enter aus. If you have a friend in Aus apply before you leave and use there address ( its taken mine almost a month to come thru )

Once you arrive you will require some gap training ( do some work books and a regs exam.) Then you can apply for a licence.

Overseas applicants - Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Have a read above.