Guest James.S

Guest english reject
Hi all,

This might be of use to any sparkys not heading to oz for 6 months or a year.

I am an Irish qualified sparky living and working in NZ.

I have done my regs and have an NZ electrical license.

This is the same as holding an interstate oz license and just require filling in a form to transfer it.

The good thing about the kiwi license is you only need to sit the regs exam and a 3 or 4 day practical assessment..No theory if you hold an Irish or UK license.

I also believe you can do some or all of the course in the UK through chandlerconsulting@xtra.co.nz

Not fully sure how much of it you can do though.

Also the as/nz 3000 wiring rules have changed and will be implemented from Nov 1st

This email is not working ???????????

Hi All,

I have just come across this site. My partner is a qualified Irish electrician, he finished his apprenticeship in 2004.

We have been living in Sydney since march on a 417 visa, my partners job are now sponsoring him so we have just lodged our 457 visa which fingers crossed will be approved in a couple of weeks.

My partner wants to get his NSW electrical license, i have been reading back through this form and I just want to enquire is the nest way for him to do this through the SA route?

I am hoping to get sponsored in my position too so that he can go defacto on mine and change jobs as he is quite low paid in current job, which is why having license would make it easier to find other work.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks a mil,

Ciara

Hi Ciara,

Did your boyfriend do a TRA assessment for the 457 ?

We have just been offered a 457 in NSW we already have a 176 PR in since may so had the done the TRA.

So the plan is as soon as the 457 is granted to do the wiring regs course in peer south Australia, reapply to TRA for ARTC and get the A grade licence and trans fare it to a NSW one well that's the plan anyway.

I think that's the easiest and fastest way to obtain the licence.

Were in Ireland are you from ?

we're in Dublin, soon to be in coffs harbour can't wait.

Maria.

To all Electricians!!

I have been searching for a while to find a place in the UK that I will be able to do my Electrical licence before I go over to Aus. I went to a seminar a while back in London, and a WA Government official pointed me in the direction of “Tradies Down Under”.

As I’m sure you have found out by now, working in Aus without an Electrical licence, or local OH&S card, is impossible. With TDU, you will have all of this before you go over. I understand that out of the 6 applicants last time, all 6 of them got job offers from employers in Aus. I would normally be quite selfish with info like this, but it took me so long to get this, I don’t wish this type of “suffering” over anyone...

My course will be starting on the 05/11/10, for a few weekends. This will save a lot of time, and in the long run, money once over there! I hope this information will be of assistance.

Please see details below!

Joshua Stanton

Managing Director

Downunder Tradies Group

M (UK) +44 (0) 79 88147 458

F (UK) +44 (0) 20 8434 3694

E j.stanton@downundertradies.com

W www.downundertradies.com

I will let you all know how things went once done, if I don’t see some of you there

Kind Regards,

Sim.

Hi Ciara,

Did your boyfriend do a TRA assessment for the 457 ?

We have just been offered a 457 in NSW we already have a 176 PR in since may so had the done the TRA.

So the plan is as soon as the 457 is granted to do the wiring regs course in peer south Australia, reapply to TRA for ARTC and get the A grade licence and trans fare it to a NSW one well that's the plan anyway.

I think that's the easiest and fastest way to obtain the licence.

Were in Ireland are you from ?

we're in Dublin, soon to be in coffs harbour can't wait.

Maria.

Hi Maria,

Yea were from Dublin too, cabinteely for me, tallaght for boyfriend!

Our 457 is with the DIAC at the moment so haven't been asked about the TRA yet! he is currently working for engineering company doing some electrical work but its more maintenance type, he was industraial electrician at home.

so once that comes through I was going to apply for the ARTC? (women have to do everything ;-))

Should I get him to do the wiring course in SA before i do this?

To all Electricians!!

I have been searching for a while to find a place in the UK that I will be able to do my Electrical licence before I go over to Aus. I went to a seminar a while back in London, and a WA Government official pointed me in the direction of “Tradies Down Under”.

As I’m sure you have found out by now, working in Aus without an Electrical licence, or local OH&S card, is impossible. With TDU, you will have all of this before you go over. I understand that out of the 6 applicants last time, all 6 of them got job offers from employers in Aus. I would normally be quite selfish with info like this, but it took me so long to get this, I don’t wish this type of “suffering” over anyone...

My course will be starting on the 05/11/10, for a few weekends. This will save a lot of time, and in the long run, money once over there! I hope this information will be of assistance.

Please see details below!

Joshua Stanton

Managing Director

Downunder Tradies Group

M (UK) +44 (0) 79 88147 458

F (UK) +44 (0) 20 8434 3694

E j.stanton@downundertradies.com

W www.downundertradies.com

I will let you all know how things went once done, if I don’t see some of you there

Kind Regards,

Sim.

Hi Sim,

Have just checked out this website, and it seems its all for electricians wishing to start up in the uk FROM oz... not from uk to oz.

Im probably just being a bit thick here ??

Are you trying to get your qualification to work in oz ?

Thanks

Hi Maria,

Yea were from Dublin too, cabinteely for me, tallaght for boyfriend!

Our 457 is with the DIAC at the moment so haven't been asked about the TRA yet! he is currently working for engineering company doing some electrical work but its more maintenance type, he was industraial electrician at home.

so once that comes through I was going to apply for the ARTC? (women have to do everything ;-))

Should I get him to do the wiring course in SA before i do this?

Hi Ciara,

I feel your pain i have to do it all too what are they like....

Yea he could do the peer course in SA before he gets his ARTC, but to be honest you might be better off waiting because you need both to get the licence in SA and it would save you a second trip to Adelaide

I was on to peer last night, they sent me all the information if you want i can send it to you just PM me your e mail address.

I'm originally from finglas and the OH is from East wall but we're living in donaghmede now.

Life is obviously treating you well in Sydney if your staying.

Thomas has lots of relations in Sydney so when the 457 comes through that's were we will head to first.

Well bye from a surprisingly sunny but not so surprisingly cold Dublin, talk to you later

Maria.

Hi Sim,

Have just checked out this website, and it seems its all for electricians wishing to start up in the uk FROM oz... not from uk to oz.

Thanks

Oops

Hi Sim,

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Yes I am in the UK and am going to do it through them. It is for 7 weeks every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was going to start on Friday the 5th but they need 4 more people before they run the course.

If you are interested please PM me so that I can explain it to you.

Kind Regards Sim

Hi Ciara,

I feel your pain i have to do it all too what are they like....

Yea he could do the peer course in SA before he gets his ARTC, but to be honest you might be better off waiting because you need both to get the licence in SA and it would save you a second trip to Adelaide

I was on to peer last night, they sent me all the information if you want i can send it to you just PM me your e mail address.

I'm originally from finglas and the OH is from East wall but we're living in donaghmede now.

Life is obviously treating you well in Sydney if your staying.

Thomas has lots of relations in Sydney so when the 457 comes through that's were we will head to first.

Well bye from a surprisingly sunny but not so surprisingly cold Dublin, talk to you later

Maria.

Yea Maria,

yea that would be great if you could send it on, its cryan2008@gmail.com

we are waiting on our 457 to come back now so once we have that will start tackling the license business! i would have expected it to be straight forward enough but as im learning the past 7 months, nothing over here is! Though its worth it for the great lifestyle!

Guest James.S
hello sim

can you give me an idea of how long the course is.as we leave on the 9th of december

regards ste

Hi, Not sure if your aware but the courses sim is talking about are designed for people from Australia or New Zealand wanting to travel to the UK for work.. not for Uk people looking to get licensed in Australia...

Just thought i'd mention it..!

James...

:jimlad:

Hi James,

They did start off that way, but they have expanded and are now doing courses for Australia from the UK.

Ste, the course is for 7 weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). My course was going to start on the 5th of November, but they had to cancel it due to lack of people. They need 12 people to run the course and only have 8 at the moment. Please search for them on Facebook, you'll notice on there that people have done the course in the UK for Australia.

Hope this helps.

Sim

If you are interested please do not hesitate to PM me or to phone Downunder Tradies directly.

Hi, im interested in moving to Sydney Australia in about 12 months time, here is what ive said so far:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/98161-electrician-wanting-immigrate-australia.html

If i go on that course at:

Downunder Tradies - Home

will this speed everything up a lot faster? someone said it normally takes about 3 years for everything to go through.

I havnt properly applied for anything yet ie a visa. If i go on that course here in the UK and join that website, will they sort everything out? so when i arrive in Australia... what stage will i be at? fully 'A licensed' electrical fitter?

Sounds like the course might be back on starting the 5th of November!!!! Jeee Haaa! :biggrin: I understand that a couple of Aus companies are getting quite eager to sponsor the guys that finish the course. What more can you ask for. Both the relevant paper work and a job the day you arrive!!! I'm thinking of trying out surfing on actual waves when I get there! And they have a SUN over there...

Hi, im interested in moving to Sydney Australia in about 12 months time, here is what ive said so far:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/98161-electrician-wanting-immigrate-australia.html

If i go on that course at:

Downunder Tradies - Home

will this speed everything up a lot faster? someone said it normally takes about 3 years for everything to go through.

I havnt properly applied for anything yet ie a visa. If i go on that course here in the UK and join that website, will they sort everything out? so when i arrive in Australia... what stage will i be at? fully 'A licensed' electrical fitter?

Hi Tom

I don't want to give you false hope on your time estimation, but it might not be too far out. I understand from the guys from DUT that there is a couple of companies in Aus looking to sponsor tradies that finish the course exclusively through DUT.

Sponsorship visas normally goes through alot quicker than any other type of visa.

I think if you want to be there in less than 12 months I think this will be your best bet.

If you require any detailed information, please contact Joshua at DUT.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

It sounds like the next course might be starting on 05/11/2010 (this Friday)

Kind Regards

Sim

Ok after a little more research ive come up with this plan, please let me know if it sounds ok?

GAP training at DUT, around April-ish time, probably May. They need to gether 20 sparks for it first.

Apply for VETESSESS, presume my practical test will be around July-November.

Migrate to Australia, February 2012.

Applying for a Visa; which one should i get, and when? considering that:

- i will probably get sponsorship through DUT after June?

- im single, migrating to Sydney alone to live with a friend from there, share the rent etc.

If i apply for my Visa and going through the points system now theres some things im unsure about when it comes to filling in the details, like have i been to TAFE for training - do i say yes because when i arrive in Sydney i will have had training from DUT in London? How much savings do i have... i really dont know exactly but itll be between £4 to £8k possibly £10k, but does that matter much and how much do i declare? as i will have an Aus friend that i'll be living with who will be helping me out for a while until i get my first pay day.

Also, what exactly does a Visa agent do? do they just speed up the process more compared to if you try sort it out yourself? or it it a legal requirement to use an agent?

Guest sexkit001

Hi guys

was just wondering if anyone has started out from scratch to train as a spark in order to migrate to Oz ?? I am trying to find out the exact requirements but the new SOL seems quite bland as in how much training they need for you to have completed and if the training was enough or you need on the job experience as well (and if so how much) I may be considering training in this field and just trying to find out what I can - thanks guys xxx I picked up this side of stuff in school quite quickly (yes I know I am 34 now) but also while in the TA (signals) we still had a little electrical understanding required but is a long way from working as a Personal Assistant in the police for 12 years x

Kirsty x

Guest welshspark

Some 1 I know done the same retrained, he sat his exam`s at night school while doing a diffrent job, he then phoned up to apply for a visa, they asked how long he had been doing it, said he just qualified, and was told that he needs at least 6 years experiance, so for the last 5 years he has been working as a spark before he can get his visa

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. We have applied for a visa under my wifes job (Secondary School Maths Teacher) so I don't need to do VETASSESS for our visa.

I'm a NICEIC electrician running my own small business in the UK, I want to be ready to work as soon as we get to Oz. I'm hoping to go on the tradies down under course (£3000 for the Australian qualifications) so I'll just need the experience over in Oz. But do I also need to do the VETASSESS too? My wife has been told by an imigration agent that I can do a course in Oz for $300 and that's all, has anyone heard about this? I can't seem to find anything about this any where and we've done our own visa so can't exactly ring and ask.

I want to make sure I can work ASAP in Oz. Any info about how electrician are doing in SA would be greatly received.

Cheers

Hi as far as i know you don't need the VETASSES course as your not the main applicant.

You do have to obtain your licence you can do this in peer in Adelaide the course is approx $1400 including book's, you can do it by distance learning, you fill in a workbook and then do 4 days in Adelaide, revision and two tests.

You will also need to get a ARTC cert from TRA that takes 30 days.

Then when you have the cert from peer and ARTC you can apply for a SA electrical licence, that takes 6 week's.

You can transfer it to any state you want once you have it.

I suspect your agent is thinking of the cost of the licence its $300.

I have all the info on the peer course if you want it just send me a PM with your e mail address.

good luck.

Maria.

Hi, guys!

I need your advise! My husband have Bachelor degree of science of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, He's graduated University, not college. Work experience (electrician) - 8 years. If I'm not wrong, for TRA assessment most suitable college education or something like technical school...

Has anyone get TRA (or WATESSESS) assessment with university bachelor degree?

Have we chances?

Guest James.S
Hi as far as i know you don't need the VETASSES course as your not the main applicant.

You do have to obtain your licence you can do this in peer in Adelaide the course is approx $1400 including book's, you can do it by distance learning, you fill in a workbook and then do 4 days in Adelaide, revision and two tests.

You will also need to get a ARTC cert from TRA that takes 30 days.

Then when you have the cert from peer and ARTC you can apply for a SA electrical licence, that takes 6 week's.

You can transfer it to any state you want once you have it.

I suspect your agent is thinking of the cost of the licence its $300.

I have all the info on the peer course if you want it just send me a PM with your e mail address.

good luck.

Maria.

Hi,

For anyone looking to get a full contractors, supervisors or A grade license as an electrician in Australia they really need to check with the state they are looking to head to.

For SA go to OCBA - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

For NSW go to http://www.fairtrade.nsw.gov.au

Etc etc..

You may find that depending on personal circumstances you might need to jump through more hoops than you would imagine.. in SA for instance you have to have an additional qualification for buisness etc, in addition to the ARTC and AS/NZS reg's

Cheers,

James...

Guest James.S
Some 1 I know done the same retrained, he sat his exam`s at night school while doing a diffrent job, he then phoned up to apply for a visa, they asked how long he had been doing it, said he just qualified, and was told that he needs at least 6 years experiance, so for the last 5 years he has been working as a spark before he can get his visa

Hi Welshy,

Yes you need experience, it can be 4 years or 6 years depending on whether it's for a visa application, Vetassess or ARTC, they all have their owns rules...!

Cheers,

James..