Guest James.S

Guest frenchieOZ

hi guys, can anyone help me have just had TRA passed and have looked on various forums about vetassess and cant seem to work out whether or not i have to the exam or not, seems some people do and some dont? can anyone help answer this for me i am a french citizen if that makes a difference.:unsure:thanks

hi guys, can anyone help me have just had TRA passed and have looked on various forums about vetassess and cant seem to work out whether or not i have to the exam or not, seems some people do and some dont? can anyone help answer this for me i am a french citizen if that makes a difference.:unsure:thanks

Hi there, I've answered this question in more detail on another thread that you posted on.

Basically, VETASSESS only assesses applicants from certain countries. As you are a French citizen you do not need to do the VETASSESS assessment.

Your skills assessment is dealt with by the TRA which you already have.

So your skills assessment is complete.

You can now move on the next stage of your visa application.

Regards Derren

Guest I mill

Hi All!!

I am a qualified electrician in the uk still and in the process of going through the vettasses assesment ive done the first part and am about to book the practical exam, ive been reading lots of the posts on here and got some great tips etc, was just wondring if anyone knows what to study up on before the exam? From what ive got so far it seems to be ressistors in parallel and series aslwell as DOL starters and star/delta motors! like many on here i guess i did the FICA test quite a few years back and know ill need to brush up on some things ive not used since college ;) so any advive would be great!! just taking the applying one step at a time cos from what ive read ill have to jump though lots of hoops to get everything done.

im planning on moving to Queensland when i finally get all this sorted, hope someone can help

Cheers All

Ian

Guest robwa
Hi,

They are going to ask you all sorts of questions from inspection and testing through to motor controls, and if like me you haven't used this knowledge on motors sinse college, you may be in trouble. You may need to brush up on motors and motor controls and testing procedures. the other stuff is quite straight forward. If you fail this test they will make you go to tafe to complete modules on every subject you fail on. The phone interview is completed by an individual in front of a computer screen reading questions off the screen looking for key words, if you do not say these key words they may fail you as they did me. Do not make the same mistake as me and take this phone interview lightly!

Did you do the interview with vetassess or victoria uni?

Has anybody done the skype interview with vic uni??

Guest frenchieOZ

hi derren,me again

just had email form agent re; next step either state sponsorship or sponsorship by my brother-in-law, the agent has mentioned about needing to be currently employed for one of these visas, but not which one, any ideas ???i m unemployed at the moment. thanks in advance:biggrin:

hi derren,me again

just had email form agent re; next step either state sponsorship or sponsorship by my brother-in-law, the agent has mentioned about needing to be currently employed for one of these visas, but not which one, any ideas ???i m unemployed at the moment. thanks in advance:biggrin:

Bonjour FrenchieOZ,

I'm not particularly au fait with the immigration process as my wife has dealt with it mostly. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that for most PR visas the work experience required is for '12 out of the past 24 months'. But don't hold me to that as I may be wrong. Your agent should be able to clarify this. I've noticed you've posted a thread on this in the migration issues forum, so someone is sure to be able to answer that more confidently than I can.

Bonne chance

Meilleures salutations Derren

Hi to all,

I'm new to this site and as my husband is an electrician I thought this might be a good place to come for advice.

We have been pndering the idea of moving to Oz for quite a while now and we have finally decided to bite the bullet before we get too old (i'm 31 & husband 32). He has worked as an electrician since leaving school and has got qualifications come out of his bottom.:wink:

We are unsure of the best place to start and what we should do first. Is state sponsorship the way to go?? We are hoping to move to perth, what is the work situation like over there. I have also read some posts on here which tell of major problems when reaching Oz and getting their licence. What is the best way to go about it all. Help please!! :confused:

My name is dan,

my story is a bit different then most on here.

I emigranted to oz in 2003 with my family from ireland.

But at the time i was 19 only finished secondary school and the change was too much for me, so i came home to ireland in 2004 and completed my 4 year apprentiship as an electrician.

I plan to move back to oz at the end of the year.

I got my resident visa renewed without having to use my quaification.

My family live on the central coast in NSW i thought you were the best people to speak to about gain the A license for NSW.

I've read all pages on the thread only took me three evenings :GEEK:.

Should i get the ARTC and the workbook for PEER before i arrive back in oz. Then Go to SA for the exam when i arrive. If this route still stands. Is it hard to change the SA to a NSW license??

I really want to have the license sorted as soon as i can when i arrive, as i dont have heaps of savings.

If anyone could help me i would be very greatful.

Thank you for your time,

Dan

Hi to all,

I'm new to this site and as my husband is an electrician I thought this might be a good place to come for advice.

We have been pndering the idea of moving to Oz for quite a while now and we have finally decided to bite the bullet before we get too old (i'm 31 & husband 32). He has worked as an electrician since leaving school and has got qualifications come out of his bottom.:wink:

We are unsure of the best place to start and what we should do first. Is state sponsorship the way to go?? We are hoping to move to perth, what is the work situation like over there. I have also read some posts on here which tell of major problems when reaching Oz and getting their licence. What is the best way to go about it all. Help please!! :confused:

Hi there,

The first step to take is to have a skills assessment. You cannot progress without it.

Your OH would probably need to be assessed by an organisation called VETASSESS, and this will cost in excess of £1000 alone. An alternative would be to have a technical interview ,on Skype, with Victoria University in Melbourne but nobody seems to know much about this at the moment as it is a new process.

Bear in mind that in July this year the points system changes, and for tradies who have not served an apprenticeship it will be particularly difficult to get in.

Even those who have served one there may be complications if you lose points due to age, not having IELTS (english test), not having state sponsorship etc.

I would strongly recommend seeking advice from a MARA registered migration agent as initial consultations are usually free and they will be able to tell you from the outset what your chances are.

I have attached a pdf file of the new points system which was sourced from Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia, who are highly regarded by many people on this site.

the anticipated points required are 65.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

My name is dan,

my story is a bit different then most on here.

I emigranted to oz in 2003 with my family from ireland.

But at the time i was 19 only finished secondary school and the change was too much for me, so i came home to ireland in 2004 and completed my 4 year apprentiship as an electrician.

I plan to move back to oz at the end of the year.

I got my resident visa renewed without having to use my quaification.

My family live on the central coast in NSW i thought you were the best people to speak to about gain the A license for NSW.

I've read all pages on the thread only took me three evenings :GEEK:.

Should i get the ARTC and the workbook for PEER before i arrive back in oz. Then Go to SA for the exam when i arrive. If this route still stands. Is it hard to change the SA to a NSW license??

I really want to have the license sorted as soon as i can when i arrive, as i dont have heaps of savings.

If anyone could help me i would be very greatful.

Thank you for your time,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, you can apply for an ARTC from overseas although it may require submitting an Australian address. If you use your overseas address I think they hold on to it until you arrive back in OZ.

Yes, you can do the workbook with PEER overseas but don't do it until you have your ARTC. You then do a 4/5 revision/exam in Adelaide. They've recently extended the exam to include a simple practical test according to posts I've seen recently.

I think you may have posted on BE about obtaining a NSW licence with your SA licence once you have it . you can do this under the terms of 'Mutual Recognition'.

I've attached pdf file which contains the application form you will need to fill in to do this.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Cheers derren, thats answered alot of questions for me. One more question would you know if this is the latest artc form?? sorry mate one other question do you have contact details for peer?

Hi Dan,

Yeah, that's the latest form. I've just had to refill my details into the 1-9 form after having filled in the old 1-8 form. It's taken me a while to get all my references and details together and hopefully, I will be submitting my application in a few weeks or so.

The contact details for peer can be found at www.peer.com.au

Seemingly, they are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Best of luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Derren

Fair play to you derren, I'll be getting the ball rolling on this very soon. Yeah the artc form is going to take a bit of thought and time to make sure everything possible is put into it, but should be ok. Hoping to make the move in the next six months with everything going to plan. Thanks again for your help i'll keep posting my experience with this route.

Dan.

Hi there,

The first step to take is to have a skills assessment. You cannot progress without it.

Your OH would probably need to be assessed by an organisation called VETASSESS, and this will cost in excess of £1000 alone. An alternative would be to have a technical interview ,on Skype, with Victoria University in Melbourne but nobody seems to know much about this at the moment as it is a new process.

Bear in mind that in July this year the points system changes, and for tradies who have not served an apprenticeship it will be particularly difficult to get in.

Even those who have served one there may be complications if you lose points due to age, not having IELTS (english test), not having state sponsorship etc.

I would strongly recommend seeking advice from a MARA registered migration agent as initial consultations are usually free and they will be able to tell you from the outset what your chances are.

I have attached a pdf file of the new points system which was sourced from Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia, who are highly regarded by many people on this site.

the anticipated points required are 65.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi Derren,

Thanks for the info, you mentioned points req would be about 65, is that not including the points you get for the occupation?

Do you know if costs for the skype interview will be similar to the vetasses?

Thanks Lisa

Hi Guys,

Not been on this thread for a little while, but just thought i would let you know how easy it has been to book onto the WA college of electrical training course, through energy safety.

I am booked to do the course on 4th July at Balcatta campus, for 2 weeks. And then hey presto... A Grade Licence.

Anyone been on this course yet ?

Would appreciate a heads up on what to expect.

Cheers Scott

Hi Guys,

Not been on this thread for a little while, but just thought i would let you know how easy it has been to book onto the WA college of electrical training course, through energy safety.

I am booked to do the course on 4th July at Balcatta campus, for 2 weeks. And then hey presto... A Grade Licence.

Cheers Scott

Hi Scott,

I haven't been on the course but the pdf file I have attached may give you some idea of course content.

Hope this helps

Best of luck

Regards Derren

Hi Derren,

Thanks for the info, you mentioned points req would be about 65, is that not including the points you get for the occupation?

Do you know if costs for the skype interview will be similar to the vetasses?

Thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Yeah, the points would include the occupation and apprenticeship. So, your OH would get 10 points for his apprenticeship and a further 15 points for having 8 years experience (out of the last 10 years).

With regard to the technical interview, I don"t know, but I did find a thread entitled 'Anyone got their

TRA assessed in Victoria Uni" in the "Migration Issues" forum

and have posted a question regarding costs.

Tried to hyperlink it but it's not letting me

Regards Derren

Hi Guys,

Cheers Scott

Here's a LINK about course content at CET

Guest andymoores1

hello sparkies,

i am moving back to england in two weeks and would like to give away the following items to any electrician who needs them:

AS/NZS 3000:2007 wiring rules

AS/NZS 3008.1.1:2009 electrical installation - selection of cables

HB13 - 2007 electrical equipment for hazardous areas

Queensland electricity connection and metering manual 2010

all of the above are copies of the original but are perfect copies.

i also have two work books which have been filled out in Pencil from when i did my electrical mechanics licence test.

i live in crestmead, brisbane, qld. please contact andy or francesca 0418409734 asap (pick up only)

Hi Dan,

Yeah, that's the latest form. I've just had to refill my details into the 1-9 form after having filled in the old 1-8 form. It's taken me a while to get all my references and details together and hopefully, I will be submitting my application in a few weeks or so.

The contact details for peer can be found at www.peer.com.au

Seemingly, they are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Best of luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren can you still apply for your ARCT if you were assessed by vetessess or does it have to be TRA. Cheers.

Hi Derren can you still apply for your ARCT if you were assessed by vetessess or does it have to be TRA. Cheers.

Hi Janice1 uk,

Once you have been granted a visa you can apply for an ARTC as resident of Australia.

However, some people have, in the past, experienced problems applying for an ARTC if they have already been assessed by VETASSESS. Read this LINK on a discussion I had with someone some time ago.

My own personal opinion is that these problems occurred in the early days of VETASSESS and may of been the result of teething problems and misunderstandings between the TRA and VETASSESS. Recent posts I've read include many people who have successfully applied for an ATRC after being assessed by VETASSESS.

Also, I'm assuming you are applying for an ARTC in order to attend PEER so as to get an SA licence- is this correct?

Also which state are you intending to reside in. The reason I ask is that some people have encountered problems transferring their licences to Queensland under mutual recognition.

Regards Derren