Guest James.S

did you get your licence? how much was it? i dont suppose you have any employer contacts?

thanks again

Hi Dan,

We have recently been granted our PR visa so I'm just about to apply for an ARTC and then I'm going to undertake some gap training in QLD. This is dependant on finding a job as I need to complete a log book as well as completing a wiring regs course.

So the ARTC will cost $300, the course will cost around $1300 and the permit to train and the licence itself will be around another few hundred dollars.

Employer contacts is something I would love to have myself. I'll be making a lot of phone calls/emails when I get there later this year hopefully.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren.

Noticed you are doing the ARTC do you have to be in Australia to do the ARTC. Or is it possible to do in the uk? I have gone down Vetassess route and got a tra certificate but believe it's not worth the paper it's written on over there. So looking at doing the ARTC and then distance learning at peer south Australia for the as/NZS 3000.2007 wiring regs course. Which state are you in ?

Guest tommo66
Just bumping my post to see if anyone can help? :biggrin:

Hi Alan

Which part of the vet application are you struggling with?

Guest tommo66

Hi Alan

I described my c.v. but in an essay style with a bit more detail of places I'd worked and what type of installations I'd worked on, if I can remember it was about 3 sides of A4.

Its march 09 when I did it so you will need to be as specific as you can about anything else you may need. I will help you if I can as I remember how I felt when reading some of the questions.

If you want to pm me feel free or just carry on post on pio.

We didnt use an agent either and it does get easier as you progress.

cheers Andy

It is also our plan to go it alone as well.

We're just doing some research into everything and we've put a start date of January to begin the process, I'll get the wife to start expanding on my CV! I read on here somewhere that someone's portfolio was 30 pages long!!!!!! I think I can manage 3 though. :wink:

Hi Derren.

Noticed you are doing the ARTC do you have to be in Australia to do the ARTC. Or is it possible to do in the uk? I have gone down Vetassess route and got a tra certificate but believe it's not worth the paper it's written on over there. So looking at doing the ARTC and then distance learning at peer south Australia for the as/NZS 3000.2007 wiring regs course. Which state are you in ?

Hi there,

It used to be the case that you could apply for an ARTC from the UK but I've just re-read their recently updated FAQ section and it appears you now need to show proof that you are currently residing in Oz. This throws the spanner in the works for me. I've just sent an email off to them for clarification. I'm moving out to QLD soon and want to apply for an ARTC from the UK to save time.

Whether it's worth you applying for an ARTC depends on what state you intend to settle in. It's only worth applying for an ARTC if you intend to go the PEER route and get an SA licence. If you then intend to apply for a QLD or Victoria licence with this then you may encounter some problems as some feedback suggests that they are refusing to issue licences to applicants who have attended PEER. If you're going to WA then I wouldn't bother with an ARTC as you can attend a 2 week course in Perth with an OTSR. The goalposts seem to be changing all the time which makes it even more confusing with an already confusing process.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973
Hi Dan,

We have recently been granted our PR visa so I'm just about to apply for an ARTC and then I'm going to undertake some gap training in QLD. This is dependant on finding a job as I need to complete a log book as well as completing a wiring regs course.

So the ARTC will cost $300, the course will cost around $1300 and the permit to train and the licence itself will be around another few hundred dollars.

Employer contacts is something I would love to have myself. I'll be making a lot of phone calls/emails when I get there later this year hopefully.

Regards Derren

Thanks for the info darren, good luck and maybe see you out there.

Guest guest48973

HELLO EVERYONE, IM A UK ELECTRICIAN/SOLAR PV INSTALLER FULLY QUALIFIED TO CITY AND GUILDS, TIME SERVED, AND JIB PROVED, CAN I APPLY THE ARTC FROM THE UK AS I HAVE A WORKING HOLIDAY VISA AND HEADING OUT IN OCTOBER? I KNOW I NEED TO GET A LICENCE WHICH I WILL DO OUT THERE. ANY OTHER ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT? OR EVEN JOB OPPORTUNITIES :biggrin:

THANKS

Guest guest48973
Hi there,

It used to be the case that you could apply for an ARTC from the UK but I've just re-read their recently updated FAQ section and it appears you now need to show proof that you are currently residing in Oz. This throws the spanner in the works for me. I've just sent an email off to them for clarification. I'm moving out to QLD soon and want to apply for an ARTC from the UK to save time.

Whether it's worth you applying for an ARTC depends on what state you intend to settle in. It's only worth applying for an ARTC if you intend to go the PEER route and get an SA licence. If you then intend to apply for a QLD or Victoria licence with this then you may encounter some problems as some feedback suggests that they are refusing to issue licences to applicants who have attended PEER. If you're going to WA then I wouldn't bother with an ARTC as you can attend a 2 week course in Perth with an OTSR. The goalposts seem to be changing all the time which makes it even more confusing with an already confusing process.

Regards Derren

hi darren did you get clarification on applying for the artc whilst in the uk?

kind regards

Hi there,

Depending on the amount of points have then he may have to sit an English exam (IELTS) and maybe secure state sponsorship before you apply for the visa.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren7

We have our 176 visa as stated and we move on the 1st September...maybe I wasn't clear on my question sorry.

What I am trying to find out is how we get the "electrical ticket" as they call it.

Just need to know where and how in WA we can get a electrical install or contracting license?

Any help would be very well received :)

Sarah

Guest tommo66
Hi Derren7

We have our 176 visa as stated and we move on the 1st September...maybe I wasn't clear on my question sorry.

What I am trying to find out is how we get the "electrical ticket" as they call it.

Just need to know where and how in WA we can get a electrical install or contracting license?

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I must admit I read your post in the same way as Darren.

Anyway if your going to WA youve got it easy (compared to other states).

You need to take your ostr cert and id to wa energy safety in return for a small fee they will give you approval to book a two week 'refresher' course covering aus regs. They also inform the tafe so they expect you. This info is how you get your A licence in wa, for a contractors licence (run your own business) its another ball ache that you would do after youve an A licence.

If you are going in sept I would get onto 'energy safety' you can apply from england to get approval to do the course then get booked in so as when you arrive you can do course straight away. All tafes shut as schools do so if not done November the latest you will be waitng for back end of Feb. You might fancy a long holiday!!

I am looking at the tafe in Balcatta NOR, cant remember website as I am on phone at work at moment, i think http://www.cet.com.au (it will get you close).

Hope some of this helps

Andrew

Hi, my first time here so any advice would be great.|I'm a white goods engineer, have been for 25 years, kitchen appliances, laundry, refrigeration etc, I've found several good looking jobs advertised that ask for an electrical licence. The info I've found is mainly about an electricians licence, I'm not an electrician. Is there a different licence that covers white goods? or do I need to be looking at some kind of an electricians qualification before I can work in my trade? Has anyone out there moved over and been able to keep working in the white goods or refrigeration area without too many problems? Any pointers in the right direction would be good, thanks

hi darren did you get clarification on applying for the artc whilst in the uk?

kind regards

No, still waiting. Although, when I contacted them before regarding another enquiry they did take a while to respond and I would imagine they are dealing with a lot of enquiries right now. As soon as I get a response I'll post it on here but to be honest I'm half expecting an ambiguous response that won't really shed any light on the the matter, but you never know.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren7

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

As Andrew has already stated, your OH can do the two week course at CET and upon completion he can apply for an WA A grade licence. The course itself costs about $960 but as you have a PR visa then previous posts I've seen indicate that you can get this subsidised and only pay $160. As I write the WA licencing website is down (maybe due to maintenance).

Take a look at this LINK as it shows how a man named Warren Thomas got his WA licence step by step. You'll notice that he has an ARTC as opposed to an OTSR. This doesn't matter as the process is the same for both certificate holders.

Regards Derren

Hi, my first time here so any advice would be great.|I'm a white goods engineer, have been for 25 years, kitchen appliances, laundry, refrigeration etc, I've found several good looking jobs advertised that ask for an electrical licence. The info I've found is mainly about an electricians licence, I'm not an electrician. Is there a different licence that covers white goods? or do I need to be looking at some kind of an electricians qualification before I can work in my trade? Has anyone out there moved over and been able to keep working in the white goods or refrigeration area without too many problems? Any pointers in the right direction would be good, thanks

Hi there,

You'll need to get a restricted electrical licence that allows you to disconnect/reconnect electrical appliances. All states operate a national restricted licence scheme. I've provided a link on another well known forum you've posted on but if you google Restricted Electrical Licence and the state that you intend to live in then that should bring up the info you're looking for.

Regards Derren

Hi Sarah,

As Andrew has already stated, your OH can do the two week course at CET and upon completion he can apply for an WA A grade licence. The course itself costs about $960 but as you have a PR visa then previous posts I've seen indicate that you can get this subsidised and only pay $160. As I write the WA licencing website is down (maybe due to maintenance).

Take a look at this LINK as it shows how a man named Warren Thomas got his WA licence step by step. You'll notice that he has an ARTC as opposed to an OTSR. This doesn't matter as the process is the same for both certificate holders.

Regards Derren

massive thank yous to Andrew and Derren....and sorry for not being clear in my first question.

Right well sounds like we best get our skates on

thanks again

Guest NeilanGemz
Hi my oh is just back from oz were he did the peer course in Adelaide and ended up having to do a telephone interview with TRA for his ARTC.

Thankfully he passed both and has applied for his licence.

For the ARTC interview he was basically asked all the same questions kindly posted on another forum back in 2007 here's the link if anyone need's it. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937.

Exciting times ahead we fly out on the 12th of June to start our new life in OZ I cant wait.....

Thank's to all who have given advice on this thread over the past few months its really much appreciated.

Maria.

Hi Maria

Just a quick one, which visa route did you guys take? I have done all the relevant skills test, IELTS, and should have state sponsorship (SA) back any day. I'm toying with the idea of going the 175 route but I'm worried about it taking forever to be granted. What are your/anybodies thoughts on this. Does anyone know how long 175's are taking at the moment?

Thanks All

Guest and1t

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help that you can give me,

I have recently begun the visa application process and things seem to be moving along quite nicely. Medicals and police checks have just been carried out.

The question that I have is that I have gained WA State Sponsorship for a 176 visa as an Electrical Engineering Technician ( 312312 ) as this is what my skills were assessed by TRA. Do I need to get an WA Electricans licence as I have only ever worked in Power Stations or Offshore, and I have never worked as a Domestic Electrician, and if I do need to get a licence how do I go about it ?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Guest Gino1985

Hi 1st post here looking for some info, I'm a qualified spark getting a WHV to work with my uncle in qld now he is gona sponsor me but I just wondered if I need to anything now ready for it and is there any requirements from his side that need to be sorted ie does he need to have a certain amount of employees etc any info would be amazon thanks

Guest bellabain

Hey All

We are moving to Perth soon and trying to be as organised as possible, my partner is a spark.

He is going to do his white card on line and we are gathering info about doing the A-Grade Licence.

Any help how to go about it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

Guest jhousewhite

Hi All,:confused:

Just wondering has anybody done vetassess recently? I am doing mine soon.. I was pretty confident about the whole thing. I was not sure about motor control so i studied everything and can wire all of the circuits now, but i have just found out that the vetassess assessment motor control is done using banana clips on a white board??? Has anybody have a clue or info about this??

Thank You

Jonathan White.

Guest garyheidi7

Hi Derren, sorry its been a few weeks for me to thank you for your response to my queries, i have nt had a chance to get back on here. So thank you for your response i am glad that the agents were brilliant, i have just signed up to using them. Think we are going to head to Perth instead now if next year we get our visa granted. hopefully the two week course will still be availble when we need it for his licence. Vetessess is next on list for OH so get that out of the way next. Thanks again your posts are a great help. Heidi.