Guest James.S

Hallo to everybody, I would like to ask about an electrical licence in Victoria. I am an automation engineer (bachelor degree) qualified from overseas and recognised by engineers of Australia as an Engineering Technologist. While all this time waiting for my permanent visa, I am looking to various job advertisments related to my discipline. Some of these advs which are for control system technician or filed service technician for example and fits to my expierience, require an A class electrical licence. Do you think that in my case, having an engineering degree will overcome this requirement?

Hi there,

Not sure about your case. In order for migrants to obtain an A grade licence they must be in possession of an OTSR issued by VETASSESS which you won't have, or once they have been granted a visa they would apply for the Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from the TRA. As you have a degree you wouldn't be deemed has having a Trade.

If I were you I would contact www.esv.vic.gov.au via email (in my opinion, talking to somebody on the phone can give varying degrees of accurate info depending on who you are talking to) and see what they recommend.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi all

Were are trying to complete our Vetassess skills assessment & are trying to obtain the syllabus for the City & Guilds 2360 Part 1. Cant find a copy anywhere & apperently City & Guilds not hold the syllabus in their archieves either. So what did other people do or has anyone got a copy etc they could give me, ppppplllllleeeeeaaaaasssseeeee.

Thanks in advance

OH did vetassess, we didn't include the syllabus, we just included all qualification certificates, references etc.

Hi Derren 7

We have just finished completing our ARTC application, and have included photos, certificates, copy of visa, copy of passport and a reference from our latest employer. I cannot see anywhere that it states you need references from all employers? just contact details. I just wanted to check before we post everything off

Thanks

Hi there,

No you don't have to send all employer statements but it does strengthen an application to have as much evidence as possible.

As long as you satisfy the following criteria you should be OK ; "must have served an appropriate overseas apprenticeship OR at least 7 years on the job experience in an electrical trade".

So, as long as you have been with your latest employer for at least seven years there shouldn't be a problem. Also, this statement from your employer must be a detailed one, stating the type of work that you did and the tools that you used.

If you haven't been with your latest employer for at least 7 years then you will need more references or you will need to prove that you have served an apprenticeship with an detailed statement of service (reference) from the company with whom you served your time.

If you can't get a reference from them (as I can't), then you'll need to write a statutory declaration and provide , along with trade certs, stuff like Deed of Apprenticeship or a Completion Diploma. ( I haven't got a deed of apprenticeship, but I do have a completion diploma from the JIB and a gold JIB card that states completed apprenticeship on it)

Hope this helps and best of luck

Let us know how you get on

Regards Derren

Hi all

Were are trying to complete our Vetassess skills assessment & are trying to obtain the syllabus for the City & Guilds 2360 Part 1. Cant find a copy anywhere & apperently City & Guilds not hold the syllabus in their archieves either. So what did other people do or has anyone got a copy etc they could give me, ppppplllllleeeeeaaaaasssseeeee.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

As Simon and Deb have alluded to, I wouldn't be overly concerned about not supplying a syllabus. I think VETASSESS are well aware of City & Guilds and what their courses entail.

Regards Derren

Guest MaybeOz

Hi All,

We have our PR visa - hubby classed as a General Electrician, TRA assessed pre-visa grant.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to be 'sponsored' by an employer in the sense that someone might offer him employment and put him through all the licencing courses etc - OH is very apprehensive about emigrating without a job to go straight into.

Kari :wubclub:

MaybeOz;

he wont get a company to sponser him from the Uk, for that to happen a aussie company would have to prove that they are unable to get any australia to fill that position & that just does not happen.

also he would have to do exams in australia to bring him up to the aussie regulations & standards. once he has done the pre course at Tafe (College) then he can apply to the relavent governming bosy in the state your living in to sit there exams, once he has passed thr required exams he may then apply for the full unrestricted electrical license.

in some states he may also have to fill in a log book for a number of months before he is accepted as a competent person, thats life i suppose if your going to live in QLD then message Stev'O on Ex-Pats site he has all the info for you.

regards

Arthur in melbourne

Guest MaybeOz
MaybeOz;

he wont get a company to sponser him from the Uk, for that to happen a aussie company would have to prove that they are unable to get any australia to fill that position & that just does not happen.

also he would have to do exams in australia to bring him up to the aussie regulations & standards. once he has done the pre course at Tafe (College) then he can apply to the relavent governming bosy in the state your living in to sit there exams, once he has passed thr required exams he may then apply for the full unrestricted electrical license.

in some states he may also have to fill in a log book for a number of months before he is accepted as a competent person, thats life i suppose if your going to live in QLD then message Stev'O on Ex-Pats site he has all the info for you.

regards

Arthur in melbourne

Hi Arthur

Thank you for the information.

I hope we'll be going to Melbourne so I'll do a search on Victoria's requirements.

Kind regards

MaybeOz;

if your living in melbourne, i can tell you now he shall have to 1st get the Vetassess then 2nd ARTC from the UK then when here he can do a 14 weeks x 1 night a week course at Tafe (College) to bring him in line with the australia system then after completing that he can then apply to the training body EPIC to site there exams thats done over a number of weeks there shall be about 4 or so exams in total its a real mix of theory & prac a real nightmare i can tell you, then when he has passed the exams he goes to energy safe & with his pass certificate he can apply for the full unrestricted electrical license.

this has to be renewed every 3 years if he forgets he must sit all exams again no excuses.

Guest MaybeOz
MaybeOz;

if your living in melbourne, i can tell you now he shall have to 1st get the Vetassess then 2nd ARTC from the UK then when here he can do a 14 weeks x 1 night a week course at Tafe (College) to bring him in line with the australia system then after completing that he can then apply to the training body EPIC to site there exams thats done over a number of weeks there shall be about 4 or so exams in total its a real mix of theory & prac a real nightmare i can tell you, then when he has passed the exams he goes to energy safe & with his pass certificate he can apply for the full unrestricted electrical license.

this has to be renewed every 3 years if he forgets he must sit all exams again no excuses.

I heard that he can also go the PEER route which is faster and cheaper?

I heard that he can also go the PEER route which is faster and cheaper?

Hi Kari,

You may want to read THIS first before you pursue that route.

A more viable option, at this time, may be to pursue a WA licence after completion of a 2 week course

I'm assuming your OH was assessed by the TRA and not VETASSESS, so he will need to apply to the TRA again for an ARTC.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi all just wondering if anyone knows anything about this

My oh has a job to go to in NSW he is doing the peer exam next week and the employer says there is no need to change the SA licence to a NSW one and said its just a matter of choice they said you can work in any state on any electrical licence. Does anyone know anything about this or are we being mislead.

Hi all just wondering if anyone knows anything about this

My oh has a job to go to in NSW he is doing the peer exam next week and the employer says there is no need to change the SA licence to a NSW one and said its just a matter of choice they said you can work in any state on any electrical licence. Does anyone know anything about this or are we being mislead.

Hi there,

Under the terms of 'mutual recognition' you can work in any state with any state licence.

However, most employers only consider applicants who have the respective state licence, ie if you work in NSW then a NSW licence is required.

But, if your OH's employer is happy to do this then there is nothing wrong or illegal about it.

I would suggest he apply for NSW licence as it may be beneficial in the future ie if he's made redundant and needs to apply for another job. And with some states, namely QLD and VIC,that are refusing SA licence holders it may be only a matter of time before NSW follows suit. It costs AUS$188 to apply for a NSW licence and you can read through this THREAD on how to get it under the terms of 'mutual recognition"

Having said that I believe that from July next year a national licence may be being introduced.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

• Like 1

Guest Bertie1

Hi Guys

I am taking the Vetassess Practical exam on Saturday 7th May in London, has anybody taken it last month and know how the test goes with up to date information. I know i know my stuff but its just a pain having to do it all again in yet another exam, getting to long in the tooth for all this.:twitcy:

Hi Guys

I am taking the Vetassess Practical exam on Saturday 7th May in London, has anybody taken it last month and know how the test goes with up to date information. I know i know my stuff but its just a pain having to do it all again in yet another exam, getting to long in the tooth for all this.:twitcy:

Hi Bertie1,

This LINK should be of some use for you.

Hope it helps and best of luck

Regards Derren

Guest sarahhunter

hello all this is my first post! although I've been reading all the useful advice on this thread for months......

Well my situation is my oh is currently in Australia on a WHV he is looking to get sponsored and has found that most companies will require him to have the relevant license. We are from Ireland he's 32 and has over 10 yrs experience aswell as apprenticeship......

At this stage we are planning on getting his ARTC from the TRA then he was planning on doing the course in PEER to get his license although with what I've read about other states not accepting that i'm a bit concerned. We live in NSW so he will need to change it to an NSW license.

Would people recommend the WA course now instead? If anyone has any information they think might help us that would be great.......

Thanks,

Sarah

really pissed off after reading about the latest with peer, cause this was the route i was going to take to get a nsw license. Can anyone give me a clear route to gain a nsw license.

Dan.

hello all this is my first post! although I've been reading all the useful advice on this thread for months......

Well my situation is my oh is currently in Australia on a WHV he is looking to get sponsored and has found that most companies will require him to have the relevant license. We are from Ireland he's 32 and has over 10 yrs experience aswell as apprenticeship......

At this stage we are planning on getting his ARTC from the TRA then he was planning on doing the course in PEER to get his license although with what I've read about other states not accepting that i'm a bit concerned. We live in NSW so he will need to change it to an NSW license.

Would people recommend the WA course now instead? If anyone has any information they think might help us that would be great.......

Thanks,

Sarah

All change again!!! We have just applied for our TRA and peer have emailed all of their details !! Now what to do!! We will be heading to nsw any advice?

Hi all,

As it stands at the moment there is no feedback to suggest that NSW are refusing to recognise SA licences. The only states that seem to be doing so are QLD, VIC and if you have been graded as a fitter, WA.

I know of someone who is currently in the process of getting a NSW licence who went down the PEER route. I'll let you know how he gets on as soon as I hear. As stated in a previous post , you can still work in NSW with another state licence. Although most employers would prefer you to have the respective state licence you would still be able to find employers willing to employ you in NSW with an SA licence.

The other option open is to do the 2 week course in Perth to get a WA licence and then transfer that one to NSW. Details HERE

Regards Derren

Hi again,

Further to my previous post, here is a LINK on how you would go about gaining a NSW licence in NSW itself. I don't like the fairtrading website as I find it confusing, not well worded and not very user friendly.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page to the sub heading of "Transitional arrangements" you'll see info about obtaining a Qualified supervisors certificate.

This is the electrical licence you need. Why they don't just simply call it an electrician's certificate and not use stupid and misleading terms like QS is beyond me.

How your supposed to gain employment without some kind of permit to train I know not.

It may be worth your while calling or emailing them to clarify.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charliemidlands

hi everyone

I am a 24 year old electrician considering my options of moving out to oz. My preference would to to head over and work for a year or so (as a electrical mate worst case scenario) to see if ilike it out there. I don't mind having to be a skivy again as would still give me a good idea of the industry in oz. Just wondering if while out there for a year (most prob a tourist working visa) I can apply for a licence or would it take too long.While out there could i apply to stay as a spark, is this easier as probably might be working in the trade or more straight forward apply in the uk. Would I be allowed to stay in oz during my application for permenant residency or have to return to the uk.

Any other advice that can be offered would be welcome.

Thanks Charlie

Hi there,

Under the terms of 'mutual recognition' you can work in any state with any state licence.

However, most employers only consider applicants who have the respective state licence, ie if you work in NSW then a NSW licence is required.

But, if your OH's employer is happy to do this then there is nothing wrong or illegal about it.

I would suggest he apply for NSW licence as it may be beneficial in the future ie if he's made redundant and needs to apply for another job. And with some states, namely QLD and VIC,that are refusing SA licence holders it may be only a matter of time before NSW follows suit. It costs AUS$188 to apply for a NSW licence and you can read through this THREAD on how to get it under the terms of 'mutual recognition"

Having said that I believe that from July next year a national licence may be being introduced.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

So if hubbie was to set up on his own, as a contractor,it would not in theory matter how he got his A grade??

And how about the contractors license, does that differ from state to state ?