Guest James.S

Good comment Derren, sure i'm as clueless as u mate....test is a test... Rite guys (Derren,Duggy, and Stope) where ya's heading in Oz? Well hope to be?? i want to be there yesterday... Need a job offer b4 i can apply for a visa.... **** i know, but the easy way i think?? ENS or 457 visa.. then after 13 months cross to a brigde visa, which me and the wife can stay on tat visa til the SP visa comes ture.... Going to an OZ xbo on Sunday the 2nd of Oct... its an xbo for companys offering sponsorship... any info lads on tat day i will post.. we are all in the same boat so lets help each other out... with info and tat

Jonathan

Hi mate,

we're off to Brisbane as soon as the house is sold, but we have enter Oz by Jan 13 or we lose the visa, so a validation trip is on the cards unless the house gets sold soon.

Beware the pitfalls of a 457 visa, if the employer that sponsors you, makes you redundant then you only have a few weeks to find another employer willing to sponsor you or you have to leave OZ. It is quicker to get this type of visa but you will definitely be more secure on a skilled independent 175 or state sponsored 176 visa.

Regards Derren.

Right fellas ( and ladies), i'm really going to confuse you all now. As you may or may not know i have just received my ARTC as electrical fitter. I applied for elec fitter and elec mechanic, dual trade, although i am a maintenance spark i also carry out installation work. I am going to email TRA today and ask why I wasnt assessed as a mechanic, I haven't received any reason as to why.

I have also just been in touch with an ex workmate who is now the gaffer at a print house in perth, he got the dual trade artc. apparently energysafe (licensing board) only have 2 distinctive license titles now those being, electrician (unrestricted) and electrical fitter (restricted).

When you use the ARTC application form it only gives you the option to apply for Mechanic or fitter or both !

When you access the link from the TRA website for job descriptions there is no such title as electrical fitter, its either mechanic or electrician !

How f##ked up can this system of applying for trade certificates be !!!!!

We decided to apply for the visa as me being the main applicant because the OH is a nurse and that registration was also terrible..............Thing is we fly out on 8th Jan, I wanted to work as soon as I received my license, unrestricted. If its going to take another 3-4 months to assess once we are residents then that will eat into a big chunk of our savings..........

I shall post again when I recieve a reply from TRA.........wish me luck !!!!!

Hi mate,

I hope you get this sorted out, but in the likely event that you'll be banging your head against a brick wall here's a couple of suggestions for you.

Firstly, you can still do the 2 week course at CET in Perth to get an electrical licence.

Whether you do the same course as the mechanics, or if the course entitles you to a A grade licence, I don't know. It may be worth contacting www.cet.asn.au to see what grade of licence you would be issued with and if you don't get issued with an unrestricted licence, what steps could be taken to achieve it.

I know in QLD that if you are graded as a fitter and want to become a mechanic then you have to sit the Certificate III electrotechnology course which is basically the equivalent of a part 2 city& guilds cert and AM2 practical.

CET offer a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) service and if you can show them you have the equivalent of this then you may not have to do a great deal of study to achieve an unrestricted licence.

Secondly, if you do get a restricted licence, if only temporarily, then I reckon you'll still be able to find work , especially if you submit your CV with a covering letter explaining your situation and outlining your skills and experience. Throw enough stones and one is sure to hit.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Right fellas ( and ladies), i'm really going to confuse you all now. As you may or may not know i have just received my ARTC as electrical fitter. I applied for elec fitter and elec mechanic, dual trade, although i am a maintenance spark i also carry out installation work. I am going to email TRA today and ask why I wasnt assessed as a mechanic, I haven't received any reason as to why.

I have also just been in touch with an ex workmate who is now the gaffer at a print house in perth, he got the dual trade artc. apparently energysafe (licensing board) only have 2 distinctive license titles now those being, electrician (unrestricted) and electrical fitter (restricted).

When you use the ARTC application form it only gives you the option to apply for Mechanic or fitter or both !

When you access the link from the TRA website for job descriptions there is no such title as electrical fitter, its either mechanic or electrician !

How f##ked up can this system of applying for trade certificates be !!!!!

We decided to apply for the visa as me being the main applicant because the OH is a nurse and that registration was also terrible..............Thing is we fly out on 8th Jan, I wanted to work as soon as I received my license, unrestricted. If its going to take another 3-4 months to assess once we are residents then that will eat into a big chunk of our savings..........

I shall post again when I recieve a reply from TRA.........wish me luck !!!!!

Hi again mate,

Just had a quick look for jobs advertised in Perth. Here's a LINK to one that may be of interest to you and goes to show that there will be opportunities for you regardless of the outcome with the TRA.

Thanks derren, I will argue my case with TRA, I've been doing installation now for 20 years, on my first employers reference, where I was an apprentice, there is about 3 a4 sides on installation techniques and then the following 2 references also states that I carry out installation work to 16th/17th edition requirements. The only thing I can think is that neither of the 2 latter references I mention really go into detail on any installation work I have done, but then again they don't go into detail on the maintenance work I have done just more of what I have worked on, if you get my drift !! So how can they choose either or......... I am hoping to have an ace up my sleeve if they start to be awkward, whether it works is a different matter, the ex-colleague that did the same job as me,in a supervisory position, is now the maintenance manager at a Perth print house.......If I can speak to someone at TRA and ask them to give him a call to vouch for my qualifications it may have some weighting, who knows ????

Guest whayaaat

Offshore Technical Skills Record-electrician-10 points??

Hi all,

just found this electricians thread!

I am aiming for a 176 Vic sponsored visa. To claim 10 points for Educational Qualifications the DIAC says you need to "have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation"

Possibly a silly question but I'm frazzled, like many, from reading it and re-reading it and doubting and all that goes with it!!

I have a successful OTSR(so expensive under new VIC UNI scheme!!) for my nominated occupation(general electrician), is this the document/award that fits the bill to get these points?

Thanks Guys

Guest whayaaat

Hi all,

Just found this electricians thread so hopefully you guys can enlighten me.

I am aiming for a 176 Vic sponsored visa. To claim 10 points for Educational Qualifications the DIAC says you need to "have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation"

Possibly a silly question but I'm frazzled, like many, from reading it and re-reading it and doubting and all that goes with it!!

I have a successful OTSR(so expensive under new VIC UNI scheme!!) for my nominated occupation(general electrician), is this the document/award that fits the bill to get these points?

Thanks Guys

Good comment Derren, sure i'm as clueless as u mate....test is a test... Rite guys (Derren,Duggy, and Stope) where ya's heading in Oz? Well hope to be?? i want to be there yesterday... Need a job offer b4 i can apply for a visa.... **** i know, but the easy way i think?? ENS or 457 visa.. then after 13 months cross to a brigde visa, which me and the wife can stay on tat visa til the SP visa comes ture.... Going to an OZ xbo on Sunday the 2nd of Oct... its an xbo for companys offering sponsorship... any info lads on tat day i will post.. we are all in the same boat so lets help each other out... with info and tat

Jonathan

Finally got some news from Vetassess they said one of their assessors has just returned from overseas and they would have a result for me within the next 5 working days.

I have a job offer from WA (Kalgoolie) flying in and out of Perth just waiting for this result to press on with 457.

Where abouts are you looking for work ?

Hi all,

Just found this electricians thread so hopefully you guys can enlighten me.

Thanks Guys

As far as I know your OTSR is what they are looking for because that will give you Pervisional Electrical licence which is a recognised Australian qualification Now from what I've heard Vic is probably the hardest state to obtain your A grade licence.

Guest NeilanGemz

I'm seeing the OTSR mentioned quite a lot in the past few posts but I'm unsure as to what it is? Anyone shed any light. I've had to complete skills assessment which was vetassess, I'm heading out to Oz on the 8th December and visa being granted before then dependant I may stay.

Will I need to have one of these OTSR things to enable me to work when I get out there? I was aware that I would need to go to peer and do the relevant courses when I get there but not sure on what route I should take to get working when I get there.

Any help much appreciated

Neil

I'm seeing the OTSR mentioned quite a lot in the past few posts but I'm unsure as to what it is? Anyone shed any light. I've had to complete skills assessment which was vetassess, I'm heading out to Oz on the 8th December and visa being granted before then dependant I may stay.

Will I need to have one of these OTSR things to enable me to work when I get out there? I was aware that I would need to go to peer and do the relevant courses when I get there but not sure on what route I should take to get working when I get there.

Any help much appreciated

Neil

Hi Neil,

If you have successfully completed the VETASSESS assessment then you should have been awarded an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR).

If you haven't got one then you should contact VETASSESS.

If you're going to attend PEER with an OTSR then you'll need to do 'on the job' gap training for 12 months. So, what a lot of Sparks do is apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) once their visa has been granted. It costs $300, but if you attend PEER with an ARTC then there is no need to undertake' on the job' gap training and you can apply for an SA licence as soon as you complete the course/ exam.

Regards Derren

Guest NeilanGemz
Hi Neil,

If you have successfully completed the VETASSESS assessment then you should have been awarded an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR).

If you haven't got one then you should contact VETASSESS.

If you're going to attend PEER with an OTSR then you'll need to do 'on the job' gap training for 12 months. So, what a lot of Sparks do is apply for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC) from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) once their visa has been granted. It costs $300, but if you attend PEER with an ARTC then there is no need to undertake' on the job' gap training and you can apply for an SA licence as soon as you complete the course/ exam.

Regards Derren

Hi mate

Thanks for that, I've already got an OTSR in that case, is that the certificate that comes from vetassess as I have that in a folder? I'll root it out and have a look. I'm actually going state sponsored to Adelaide so the peer route is obviously going to be the best for me. If I can get the A grade license straight away that would be a much better option so I'll look in to the ATRC from TRA, I've heard a lot about it on here, which is why the OTSR thing was confusing me.

Cheers

Neil

Guest whayaaat
As far as I know your OTSR is what they are looking for because that will give you Pervisional Electrical licence which is a recognised Australian qualification Now from what I've heard Vic is probably the hardest state to obtain your A grade licence.

Thanks For that, I actually have the VIC A-Grade already!!Must have done it all backwards! Came here on WHV, got the ARTC and then did 3 exams (Licensed Electrician Exams) Other half got sponsored 457 so gives us time to apply for 176. On a side note, ticked the box on the ARTC application to get a Migration letter, then to be told that that application form had been outdated(even though it was the current one on the website at the time) So $2400 odd later for the application to Vic Uni for an OTSR and let the 176 process begin!

gotta book IELTS today. Please God that's not too difficult!

Thanks For that, I actually have the VIC A-Grade already!!Must have done it all backwards! Came here on WHV, got the ARTC and then did 3 exams (Licensed Electrician Exams) Other half got sponsored 457 so gives us time to apply for 176. On a side note, ticked the box on the ARTC application to get a Migration letter, then to be told that that application form had been outdated(even though it was the current one on the website at the time) So $2400 odd later for the application to Vic Uni for an OTSR and let the 176 process begin!

gotta book IELTS today. Please God that's not too difficult!

Best of luck keep us posted on how you get on !!!

CALLING ALL POMS IN OZ SPARKS :biggrin:

CALLING ALL POMS IN OZ SPARKS:notworthy:

CALLING ALL POMS IN OZ SPARKSr:notworthy:

CALLING ALL POMS IN OZ SPARKS:notworthy:

Come on guys somebody must be able to help I need to get copies of:

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3017:2001 Electrical installations - Testing and inspection guidelines

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3012:2010 Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites

Anybody any ideas on were to get these.????????

Any help or info muchly appreciated.

Duggy281

Hello Sparkies

Can I get a straight answer to a simple question?

I have a VETASSESS certificate, gained while here in the UK, and now have a visa. The NSW office of fair trading says this entitles me to a provisional tradespersons license.

I have secured employment with a large electrical firm before I arrive next month. I believe there is a training course or gap training to help me get a full license.

What is the name of the course and where do I do it?

Cheers

Mark

Just thought I'd post a reply and some links from the NSW office of fair trading. I asked them about the VETASSESS route and the provisional license...........

Dear Mr Stott

I refer to your enquiry regarding an electrician licence.

The following link explains that you can apply for a provisional tradesperson certificate for electrician.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tradespeople/Home_building_licensing/Applying_for_a_licence_or_certificate/Overseas_trained_applicants.html

The application form and fee is attached.

http://blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/licence_file/0011/277085/ap4371.pdf

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/What_the_Office_of_Fair_Trading_does/Fees/Home_building_fees.html

The proof of identity (POI) required with each application is as follows:

1. One Document from POI List 1, and

2. Two documents from POI List 2.

These three documents must include:

At least one document that shows your photograph and date of birth

At least one document that shows your current address

One passport quality photograph.

I trust the above information assists you.

Yours sincerely

Susan Thein

Assistant Customer Service Officer

NSW Fair Trading

If you don't mind, I would like to join this electricians thread. We've in Melbourne, my wife and me, 2 weeks now. I'm a electrician, but I'm also not, without Vic license. :)

Have few questions if anyone knows. First I would like to call TRA, but I can't find a number, only "TRA inquiry closures" messages on their site. If someone has the number, please throw me, because they don't answering e-mail, except of notification that they are to busy to reply.

If someone knows, is there any chance that they (TRA) keep records of migration purposes assessment (fat chance probably), or I will need again to certify copies and send it all over again?

And what work could an electrician do here without license, any practical advice?

I have 10yr experience in electrical maintenance in large company (various types of work, from transformer stations maintenance to workshop repair duties, new installations where needed, machine commissioning/decommission and repairs, switchboards and panels (small ones and of size of the room).... and 5 years in freelance installing data/comm networks, mostly copper utp/ftp/stp, and some fibre, with all terminating, patching, racking, testing. Worked something like a subcontractor, did all the work, from offers and calculations to organization of resources and doing it with my hands.

On top of all I do have bachelor in electr. and comp. engineering (finished 2007), not necessarily connected to all that work. Why am I bothering you with all this???

Well I'm getting a feeling that I'm too bloody complicated for this market.

Any suggestions, what simple job could be relatively fast obtained here, I would do anything, minimum wage is still double or triple of what I made it back home?

Anyway, greetings from Melbourne :)

If you don't mind, I would like to join this electricians thread. We've in Melbourne, my wife and me, 2 weeks now. I'm a electrician, but I'm also not, without Vic license. :)

Have few questions if anyone knows. First I would like to call TRA, but I can't find a number, only "TRA inquiry closures" messages on their site. If someone has the number, please throw me, because they don't answering e-mail, except of notification that they are to busy to reply.

If someone knows, is there any chance that they (TRA) keep records of migration purposes assessment (fat chance probably), or I will need again to certify copies and send it all over again?

And what work could an electrician do here without license, any practical advice?

I have 10yr experience in electrical maintenance in large company (various types of work, from transformer stations maintenance to workshop repair duties, new installations where needed, machine commissioning/decommission and repairs, switchboards and panels (small ones and of size of the room).... and 5 years in freelance installing data/comm networks, mostly copper utp/ftp/stp, and some fibre, with all terminating, patching, racking, testing. Worked something like a subcontractor, did all the work, from offers and calculations to organization of resources and doing it with my hands.

On top of all I do have bachelor in electr. and comp. engineering (finished 2007), not necessarily connected to all that work. Why am I bothering you with all this???

Well I'm getting a feeling that I'm too bloody complicated for this market.

Any suggestions, what simple job could be relatively fast obtained here, I would do anything, minimum wage is still double or triple of what I made it back home?

Anyway, greetings from Melbourne :)

Hi there

The problem is it is illegal for any electrical company to hire you as an electrician without your licence you will however be able to get a job as a Trades Assistant (electrical helper) the pay is not the same but still not bad.

With getting your skills recognised I don't have contact details for TRA but I do for VETASSESS this is a company that TRA use to assess Electricians qualifications. Their contact details are

Vetassess,

Level 5,

478 Albert Street,

East Melbourne 3002

Tel: +61396554801

email: vetassess@vetassess.com.au

web: http://www.vetassess.com.au

They should be able to get you started in getting your licence.

Stope.

Guest jhousewhite
Finally got some news from Vetassess they said one of their assessors has just returned from overseas and they would have a result for me within the next 5 working days.

I have a job offer from WA (Kalgoolie) flying in and out of Perth just waiting for this result to press on with 457.

Where abouts are you looking for work ?

Hi Stope

Great news today... I passed my Vetassess..... Let the job hunting begin lol.. Congrats on the job offer, how did ya land tat, are you with an agent? I was sniffing around for work in kalgoolie myself.. alot of work there but didn't see any sponsored work offers.

Jonathan

Hi Stope

Great news today... I passed my Vetassess..... Let the job hunting begin lol.. Congrats on the job offer, how did ya land tat, are you with an agent? I was sniffing around for work in kalgoolie myself.. alot of work there but didn't see any sponsored work offers.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Got news from Vetassess this morning too passed also happy days !!!!

I've been working as a Underground Electrician in a mine here since 2004 so luckily enough my experience is in high demand at the moment. I applied for that job on Seek.com.au it wasn't advertised as a 457 job but it was with a big mining company and they sent somebody over to interview me and the rest is history.

Are you looking for work in the mines ?

Stope.

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Jonathan

Got news from Vetassess this morning too passed also happy days !!!!

I've been working as a Underground Electrician in a mine here since 2004 so luckily enough my experience is in high demand at the moment. I applied for that job on Seek.com.au it wasn't advertised as a 457 job but it was with a big mining company and they sent somebody over to interview me and the rest is history.

Are you looking for work in the mines ?

Stope.

Great news Stope.. Happy

Days all round:huh: Vetasses on the ball today lol... Yea would love to get into the mines in Kalgoorlie.. in the gold pit.. Congrats man.. hope to be following u soon enuf... I'll be sending c.v's to everybody on seek now lol

Guest jhousewhite
Well done johnathon. Good luck with the job hunting and all the best with your move.

Colin

Cheers Colin, i'll keep ya posted.

Jonathan

Great news Stope.. Happy

Days all round:huh: Vetasses on the ball today lol... Yea would love to get into the mines in Kalgoorlie.. in the gold pit.. Congrats man.. hope to be following u soon enuf... I'll be sending c.v's to everybody on seek now lol

Thats the way mate throw enough stones and one is bound to hit. Keep in touch and if there is anything I can do just let me know.

Guest jhousewhite
Thats the way mate throw enough stones and one is bound to hit. Keep in touch and if there is anything I can do just let me know.

Will do Stope.. Chat soon