Guest James.S

Guest bhimnayak

Hi there,

I passed LEA from EPIC VIC, TRA granted me an ELECTRICAL FITTER, Got L licence form Energy safe ,

I want to get unrestricted licence and don't want to do one year installation work. Finished all the money from overseas and fed up by applying jobs in Melbourne with that licence. Can anybody suggest to get unrestricted licence to other state with easy and efficient way. I think Its better to be a taxi driver rather than a sparky. Help me mat !!!!!!!!!!, 16 years experience in domestic, industrial electrician is being died.

Ben

they have NOT changed there procedures at all, people who get the fitters assessment do so because of the evidence they provide NOT enough.

the one to get is the electrical mechanic from the TRA. this must read as though you are installing & fabricating electrical materials on a daily basis, SWA ladder racks steel trunkings cable 1 x phase & 3 x phase & so on if its not done right in the application the TRA think he is a main spark & he gets the fitters license & in some states that's restricting until they do the GAP training, in Victoria if you have the electrical mechanic cert you don't do the GAP.

One more question Arthur, a friend of ours is also looking into moving to wa and he us also a spark, he's under 31 so thinking of going over on a WHV, can he apply for an artc when he gets over there and avoid vetassess or does he still need to do it?

Hi,

Your friend can apply for an ARTC on a WHV . He can also apply from the UK once his visa has been granted as you have to show proof of Australian residency in your application, permanent or temporary.

Regards Derren

Hi everyone,

Need a bit more advice, when completing your CV for the Skills Assessment did you use the sample document on the portfolio builder and put a brief description in the little boxes of your job and elaborate further on in the document or did you write war and peace in the little box. We seem to be really struggling with the best way to get all this down and we are concious of getting it right first time. As for writing down the details of the types of tools my husband has used etc, putting that into words isn't the easiest thing on the planet is it??

:confused:Hi everyone,hoping to move to cairns region september time next year2012,im basically a general electrician,with permanant residency visa,only got22 months left on my visa,not gone yet due to numerous reasons,ie uk economy,family,you know the score.Anyway ive tried reading all the posts on here and got so confused,basically if i move over without anything other than my city and guilds qualifications,and my cv,whats my chances off securing work in the electrical trade,and what if anything will i need to do to gain employment,do i need to apply for anything prior to leaving the uk,sorry if these questions have been answered to other posts,hope to hear from someone soon,confused spark.com:confused:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, i am looking into a state sponsored visa(176) for perth. my occupation is electrician and i far as i can see on the immigation website i would not need a practical skills assessment, only a qualifications and employment assessment is this correct (hoping so as there is quite a difference in cost)

any reply greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

Need a bit more advice, when completing your CV for the Skills Assessment did you use the sample document on the portfolio builder and put a brief description in the little boxes of your job and elaborate further on in the document or did you write war and peace in the little box. We seem to be really struggling with the best way to get all this down and we are concious of getting it right first time. As for writing down the details of the types of tools my husband has used etc, putting that into words isn't the easiest thing on the planet is it??

Hi Lisa,

Can't help you specifically with your query but I reckon you should post on the link I've I've provided below as there are several posters on the forum who have gone through the VETASSESS process or are currently doing so and you might receive more responses.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

In addition, the next link shows my description of what I do as well as someone else's application for an ARTC. Although you are applying for VETASSESS it may give you an idea on how to formulate your answers, as I used bullet points to desribe what I do and you can use the breakdown to use in your own application especially with the types of tools that I used.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731125

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

:confused:Hi everyone,hoping to move to cairns region september time next year2012,im basically a general electrician,with permanant residency visa,only got22 months left on my visa,not gone yet due to numerous reasons,ie uk economy,family,you know the score.Anyway ive tried reading all the posts on here and got so confused,basically if i move over without anything other than my city and guilds qualifications,and my cv,whats my chances off securing work in the electrical trade,and what if anything will i need to do to gain employment,do i need to apply for anything prior to leaving the uk,sorry if these questions have been answered to other posts,hope to hear from someone soon,confused spark.com:confused:

Hi there ,

You may find work with your UK qualifications but if you want to work legally and get the full sparks rate then you'll need to get a QLD licence.

In order to answer your question fully, when you had a skills assessment for migration purposes, were you assessed by the TRA, or VETASSESS?

Regards Derren

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out, i am looking into a state sponsored visa(176) for perth. my occupation is electrician and i far as i can see on the immigation website i would not need a practical skills assessment, only a qualifications and employment assessment is this correct (hoping so as there is quite a difference in cost)

any reply greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

If you are a UK citizen and are applying for your visa as a general electrician then you will need to be assessed by VETASSESS. If you are not a UK citizen or you want to be considered as Electrician Special class then you may need to be assessed by the TRA.

Regards Derren

Hello all,

Just a quick update from NSW. I have registered with the VTT for recognition of skills and they will supply me with a craft certificate.

I also called a couple of RTO's and was eventually directed to the Ultimo Campus of TAFE who basically put people with VETASSESS qualifications through a course to enable them to move from the provisional certificate to the full license. It's two nights a week for 6 months and costs $1500.

That's as far as I know for now, I'll get back to you with updates. I've still only been here 3 weeks.

Mark

Di derren7,thanks for your reply,i got my visa back in 08,i was assessed by the tra(trade recognition act)back then,but obviously that doesnt cut it,i dont think the vettasses came in untill after i got my visa,what do i need to do to get a queensland licence,and does that get me into employment with work to do on convincing my employers then,appologies for my ignorance on the matter.

Hi Lisa,

Can't help you specifically with your query but I reckon you should post on the link I've I've provided below as there are several posters on the forum who have gone through the VETASSESS process or are currently doing so and you might receive more responses.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

In addition, the next link shows my description of what I do as well as someone else's application for an ARTC. Although you are applying for VETASSESS it may give you an idea on how to formulate your answers, as I used bullet points to desribe what I do and you can use the breakdown to use in your own application especially with the types of tools that I used.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731125

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Derren, thanks for giving me those links, I've got loads of info from it, now to write it!!

Di derren7,thanks for your reply,i got my visa back in 08,i was assessed by the tra(trade recognition act)back then,but obviously that doesnt cut it,i dont think the vettasses came in untill after i got my visa,what do i need to do to get a queensland licence,and does that get me into employment with work to do on convincing my employers then,appologies for my ignorance on the matter.

Hi chilli,

No need for apologies, that's what this site is all about.

The first thing you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is to apply to the TRA, AGAIN, for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC). It's a strange set up in that you have to apply to the TRA for a skills assessment for migration purposes and then have to apply again after your visa is granted in order to to get an ARTC so that you can undertake gap training in order to get a full licence. In fact I've read more than a few posts where people have gained a positive skills assessment for migration purposes and then been turned down for an ARTC. Bizarre to say the least. Why they don't just grant you an ARTC after gaining a positive skills assessment for migration purpose is anybody's guess.

If you need to know how to apply for an ARTC then go back to page 121 on this thread where I have attached a document "ARTC applicant guidelines".

You can apply for an ARTC from the UK.

When you arrive in Australia then you will need to apply to the QLD licencing board for a permit to train. See the link below on how to do this.

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-and-safe-work/electrical-safety/electrical-workers-and-contractors/licencing/overseas-applicants

After you have been granted a permit to train then you will need enrol at a local TAFE (college) and study the relevant courses (wiring regs and/ or testing and inspection),and at the same time find a job so that you can fill in a log book to satisfy the on the job training element.

As you're moving to Cairns then the the local TAFE you can contact is linked below.

http://www.tnqit.tafe.qld.gov.au/

As for time frames, I was told by a training authority that as an ARTC holder , it would be possible to attain a full licence after 3 months as long as I secured employment and passed the relevant courses.

Best of luck.

Regards Derren

Derren, thanks for giving me those links, I've got loads of info from it, now to write it!!

Hi Lisa,

Glad you found the info helpful. Believe me, I tore my hair out for months on end trying to figure out how to construct my application and I know first hand what I do for a living!! I feel I could write a PhD on the subject now after nearly 2 years of research!! If you have any questions then feel free to ask. The BE site is an excellent site for would be expat sparks also.

Best of luck. I wouldn't want to be in your position again. So stressful and many sleepless nights!!

Regards Derren

Hi Lisa,

Glad you found the info helpful. Believe me, I tore my hair out for months on end trying to figure out how to construct my application and I know first hand what I do for a living!! I feel I could write a PhD on the subject now after nearly 2 years of research!! If you have any questions then feel free to ask. The BE site is an excellent site for would be expat sparks also.

Best of luck. I wouldn't want to be in your position again. So stressful and many sleepless nights!!

Regards Derren

Alan really was stressing about it so I'll pull all the info together write a draft then let him make changes to it. There is so much info out there on the official websites, its easy to get confused with it all.

Once Xmas is out of the way we'll submit it. It's just so blooming expensive isn't? All worth it in the end.

Guest leccyman

hi, we've just had an email from TRA to say that they won't process my OH application for electrical mechanic ARTC because we don't reside in Oz yet (we move on the 12 Jan). I was under the impression they would from posts i've read here so I've emailed them back to ask. Its a pain if we have to wait tll we arrive before they will start to process it which is what the email is saying. :arghh:

Hi again derren,i found the link on page 121,im more confused than ever,do i just need to apply for an artc,or do i need to apply to the tra for another test,ive had my permenent residency visa for 3 years now,do i need to do an exam here before i go,then on the job supervision,or do i just apply to the artc,im completely lost:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

hi, we've just had an email from TRA to say that they won't process my OH application for electrical mechanic ARTC because we don't reside in Oz yet (we move on the 12 Jan). I was under the impression they would from posts i've read here so I've emailed them back to ask. Its a pain if we have to wait tll we arrive before they will start to process it which is what the email is saying. :arghh:

can anyone shed any light on this. We move in Feb and are just about to submit application. This is a right pain in the arse.

Unfortunately I think it may be the case that you now have to reside in Australia before TRA will look at your assessment. I believe the criteria has only recently changed due to the backlog of applicants, I spoke with a TRA assessor who did confirm this and said it was only fair that those waiting for their assessment already in Oz got seen to first .............

see the new guidelines from Nov 2011 here

2.4 ELIGIBILITY FOR AN AUSTRALIAN RECOGNISED TRADE CERTIFICATE

To be granted an ARTC, you must be able to demonstrate that you:

a) are an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia

b) reside in Australia

c) have sufficient English language skills to perform the work of the trade safely in Australia

d) have sufficient training and experience to meet the requirements of the Criteria and Guidelines and the Act

e) undertake all steps in the assessment process including, where applicable, a technical interview, trade test or other action requested by an LC

f) are currently capable of performing the work of your trade in Australia.