Guest James.S

Guest what the dickens
Hi,

Has anyone found it easy to find a job? I am predominantly a domestic electrician although have some experience in other fields and me and my family arrive in Perth January 13th 2012. I will have to activate my restricted license but the only thing I am worried about is that I dont have a job to go to. Are there plenty of jobs in Perth?pref NOR, and if so can anyone point me in the right direction for sorting out a job before we arrive? or is it easier to do once we have arrived?

thanks

Steve

Gday steve

We arrived a couple of months ago from Selby and we are south of Perth. We were in a similar position to you as we came accross on a 176 visa. With no job and only temporary accomation. Finding a job is a complete mine field as 99% of all the sparky jobs require you to have a full Grade A licence and with out that it's a bit of a battle. Don't waste your time applying from the UK either as most of the agencies will just throw your resume in the bin.:mad: Thats the bad news!

Heres what you will need to do, As soon as you get off the plane get all your Vetassess documents together including the work modules certs etc that you should have completed. Get in touch with Electrical Licensing Board and apply for the Electrical Workers Permit which will cost you $70 and this should take about 10-15 days to come through and lasts for 12 months. Once you have this register with the employment agencies, local papers etc.... They will reconise that you are a sparky and you can work but under restriction, as I found only the Licensing board know what Vetassess is??? As soon as your permit arrives you will also need to apply for a letter of Authority this will cost you $30. This letter will allow to you to take your gap training or ETL course, it is a 2 week course and after this if sucessfull you will have your Grade A licence and can work unrestricted. I take my course next week in Rockingham. Beware though that the fees range from $2800 to $300?:swoon: So guess which one I chose. Once you get the licence the are plenty of vaccnacies and it's no wonder that they short of sparkies, if I were a chippy I could of just walked of the plane and started full timework. At the moment I am working short term as a sparky's mate. Hope this helps.

Andrew

PS Although it's been a bit of up hill battle, I am glad I came over.

Hi guys,

I applied in Sept after the new guidelines were introduced. I know of at least 1 other person who did the same from the UK. On the application form I put an anticipated arrival date of November and the envelope had British stamps and air mail/par avion stickers on it so it would have been fairly obvious that I was applying from the UK.

Leccyman, did you provide a copy of your visa and/or grant letter showing proof of Australian residency and did you provide an Australian address on your application form.

Chilli, there are no other tests you need to do in the UK. After you have submitted your application to the TRA for an ARTC then they may require you to do a trades test if they're not satisfied with the evidence you have provided in your application.

All I can say to prospective applicants is make sure you provide an Australian address on your application form. I think this would be sufficient proof that you 'reside' in Australia.

Regards Derren

Hi guys,

I applied in Sept after the new guidelines were introduced. I know of at least 1 other person who did the same from the UK. On the application form I put an anticipated arrival date of November and the envelope had British stamps and air mail/par avion stickers on it so it would have been fairly obvious that I was applying from the UK.

Leccyman, did you provide a copy of your visa and/or grant letter showing proof of Australian residency and did you provide an Australian address on your application form.

Chilli, there are no other tests you need to do in the UK. After you have submitted your application to the TRA for an ARTC then they may require you to do a trades test if they're not satisfied with the evidence you have provided in your application.

All I can say to prospective applicants is make sure you provide an Australian address on your application form. I think this would be sufficient proof that you 'reside' in Australia.

Regards Derren

Hi Derren,

the latest criteria and guidelines are from November of this year which is when I was last in touch with TRA .

Hi Derren,

the latest criteria and guidelines are from November of this year which is when I was last in touch with TRA .

Hi Woody,

The November guidelines appear to similar to the September guidelines. The Sept guidelines stated that you had to be "currently residing in Australia". When I emailed them at the time to query this they stated to me that as long as I showed proof of Australian residency then it would be OK. It doesn't ask for documentary proof of residing in Australia ie rates bill, utility bill, etc., only that you show a copy of the visa.

Also, in section 2.6.2 it alludes to the fact that you can pay the application fee from outside of Australia. Surely if your paying outside of Australia then it's reasonable to assume that you are applying outside of Australia.

Again, I could be wrong, but I reckon if you put an Australian address on the form then that would be sufficient for them to process the application.

Kind Regards Derren

Cheers Andrew this is really useful information.

I sent Energy Safety an email regarding obtaining my restricted license and they have forwarded me a application form to fill in and send back to them. It is for applying for the restricted license while overseas, I thought that this maybe a option because at least I will have the restricted license and wont have to wait once in Australia for this to arrive. Who did you work for in Selby?I know a few people who used to work for Keith France Electrical. Let me know how you get on with your course and good luck.

Cheers again

Steve and family.

Hi Woody,

The November guidelines appear to similar to the September guidelines. The Sept guidelines stated that you had to be "currently residing in Australia". When I emailed them at the time to query this they stated to me that as long as I showed proof of Australian residency then it would be OK. It doesn't ask for documentary proof of residing in Australia ie rates bill, utility bill, etc., only that you show a copy of the visa.

Also, in section 2.6.2 it alludes to the fact that you can pay the application fee from outside of Australia. Surely if your paying outside of Australia then it's reasonable to assume that you are applying outside of Australia.

Again, I could be wrong, but I reckon if you put an Australian address on the form then that would be sufficient for them to process the application.

Kind Regards Derren

It seems to be the thing then coming from TRA, confusion. The best advice I think we can give is " have a go at applying but if TRA say that you have to be in Australia then thats how it is !"

Guest welshspark
Cheers Andrew this is really useful information.

I sent Energy Safety an email regarding obtaining my restricted license and they have forwarded me a application form to fill in and send back to them. It is for applying for the restricted license while overseas, I thought that this maybe a option because at least I will have the restricted license and wont have to wait once in Australia for this to arrive. Who did you work for in Selby?I know a few people who used to work for Keith France Electrical. Let me know how you get on with your course and good luck.

Cheers again

Steve and family.

HI steve, dont know if you will be able to apply while in the uk because you need to do a CPR/LVR course and provide evidence with your application, I have just had to do it its all pretty simple, most companies will take you on as a TA my mate is in perth and they are earning about $37 a hour doing this

Cheers Welshspark thanks for that,

I just thought it might have been easier, but fair enough if you have to sit a course and supply evidence it makes more sense to do from oz.

cheers.

Steve

Guest andyhay17

Hello all,

I'm 26 and have almost 8 years experience as an electrician working in Glasgow (apprentice since 2004, qualified since march 2008). I am thinking about applying for a 176 visa based in WA.

Can anyone give me any info on the VETASSESS? I am not sure if I have enough experience and I'm hoping someone can give me an idea on what they're looking for. I did work in Sydney last year as a Trades Assistant for 3 months.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

Guest what the dickens

Gday Steve

You should not need to do a test for your Electrical permit in WA. I didn't all they required was the otr and certs from Vetassess. I don't know about appling from the UK as I got the impression that you had to be in Aus to start the process? And it's different from state to state in the application process. I heard of guys going to a different state to just take their gap training to speed things up.

Yep I've heard of Keith France Electrical although do not know them personally

Ta

It seems to be the thing then coming from TRA, confusion. The best advice I think we can give is " have a go at applying but if TRA say that you have to be in Australia then thats how it is !"

Hi woody,

Yeah, I agree with that. If I was back to square 1 again I would just go for it. How's your reapplication going by the way?

Regards Derren

I have got TRA.I inquired TRA department in Sydney for transfering TRA to ARTC .They told me I should contact relevant department in Melbourne.Is there somebody know how I should do or have similar experience?Thanks.

Hi there.

I'm assuming the TRA assessed you for migration purposes which means you are not a UK citizen, or you were assessed as an Electrician special class.

Either way you will need to apply to the TRA again for an ARTC. You can only do this once your visa has been granted.

See the attachment below on how to apply for an ARTC.

Regards Derren

ARTC_ApplicantGuidelines.pdf

ARTC_ApplicantGuidelines.pdf

Hi woody,

Yeah, I agree with that. If I was back to square 1 again I would just go for it. How's your reapplication going by the way?

Regards Derren

Hi Derren,

I got a reply to the email I asked about the online tracking portal saying that my application will be assessed in December !!!!....this seems to me that they know about the problems with the portal but are doing FA about it !!! At least I know now that my application is being dealt with this month............

regards

Gary

Hi there.

I'm assuming the TRA assessed you for migration purposes which means you are not a UK citizen, or you were assessed as an Electrician special class.

Either way you will need to apply to the TRA again for an ARTC. You can only do this once your visa has been granted.

See the attachment below on how to apply for an ARTC.

Regards Derren

Hi,i've read the guidelines but i feel dizzy why oz need ARTC application.The documents for ARTC application is same as PRA.Do yo know if there is some better way to solve this problem? Thank you!!

Hi,i've read the guidelines but i feel dizzy why oz need ARTC application.The documents for ARTC application is same as PRA.Do yo know if there is some better way to solve this problem? Thank you!!

Hi there,

You're not the first and won't be the last to be confused by this bizarre system.

In order to be able to undertake gap training in Australia then you will need to apply for an ARTC. Why they don't grant this to you after you have gained a positive skills assessment for migration purpose, I have no idea.

The only alternative to applying for an ARTC is to approach a TRA approved TAFE (college) in Australia and be assessed under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and credit transfer. However, this would involve submitting the same evidence as you would for an ARTC, it would take 12 weeks for assessment and you have to be in Australia to do it.

To apply for an ARTC you will ,basically, need to resubmit the same evidence as for your migration skills assessment. However, be warned, it is not unknown for the TRA to refuse an ARTC to applicants that have gained a positive skills assessment for migration purposes. Bizarre!!!

In summary, you will need to submit copies of your qualifications, trade licence (if applicable) and detailed employer references stating your position, hours of work per week, length of service, and stating the type of work that you performed and the tools you used.

Bear in mind that the ARTC is not a licence and merely allows you to undertake gap training in Australia in order to obtain a full licence.

Also, as you have already been assessed by the TRA for migration purposes you will not have to pay the $300 application fee.

Regards Derren

Guest tommo66

Hi guys

I posted a while back that i had an email from energy safety saying that in wa you now had to do the gap training/log book method to get your a licence. I arrived in perth last week and approached energy safety on how to start my gap training and obtain the restricted workers licence. To my amazement and delight they told me they have scrapped the idea of gap training and to enable me to obtain my a licence all i have to do is the ETL course (Electrical Trade Licence) at one of theyre nominated TAFE's.

I apologise if this is already common knowledge as i have not been keeping up to date with the forum.

Thanks Andy

One day hopefully I would stop talking about TRA....

Anyone asked self, why this relocation, considering everybody I've been forced to meet here are lazy, useless and inconsiderate? Mails not answered, when get them on the phone they don't know anything, everywhere just asking for money, not letting me work for it... etc Yeah, who made me to do this, entirely my fault:skeptical:.

Enough whining. :rolleyes:

Could someone please tell where to send application and Kg of paper again? One thing not clear to me, if TRA ARTC office is in Melbourne, why address in ARTC guidelines is in Canberra? I would love to take this papers and give them personally, since I'm in Melbourne.

And if this could be helpful info, from phone chat with someone in TRA, they do save documents of migration assessments for 2 years, then throw it away. (Mine are wasted, my visa process was more than 2yrs only) They can't say why to send Kg of papers again, considering ARTC guidelines are way more precise than UAC. She said "more documents you provide, better". When I called TRA ( the 1300 number), machine said "if you want to inquire about ARTC, please call our Melbourne office on (the same 1300 number I dialed). So I didn't ask about sending address, because I didn't notice this Canberra/Melbourne thing.

Guest garyheidi7

Hi Tommo66,

Thats great news, hopefully that will stay like that, we are just about to apply for ss for wa, so hoping to be out next year fingers crossed. what is the duration of the course, and is it a big expense? if you dont mind me asking. My oh sat his vetassess on saturday just gone and he got a successful result on Tuesday, which was very quick, as i read on here people have waited months for results, so we are really pleased and excited, another step gained. Hope your arrival in oz has been what you hoped for.

Guest tommo66
Hi Tommo66,

Thats great news, hopefully that will stay like that, we are just about to apply for ss for wa, so hoping to be out next year fingers crossed. what is the duration of the course, and is it a big expense? if you dont mind me asking. My oh sat his vetassess on saturday just gone and he got a successful result on Tuesday, which was very quick, as i read on here people have waited months for results, so we are really pleased and excited, another step gained. Hope your arrival in oz has been what you hoped for.

Hi gary and co

Yes the course is for ten days which includes the test and i've been told you get your results there and then. I think Gary as my old email address which i can still access so if theres anything you guys want to know electricalor just general drop me a line.

P.S. Perth is great

Cheers Andy

Hi guys

I posted a while back that i had an email from energy safety saying that in wa you now had to do the gap training/log book method to get your a licence. I arrived in perth last week and approached energy safety on how to start my gap training and obtain the restricted workers licence. To my amazement and delight they told me they have scrapped the idea of gap training and to enable me to obtain my a licence all i have to do is the ETL course (Electrical Trade Licence) at one of theyre nominated TAFE's.

I apologise if this is already common knowledge as i have not been keeping up to date with the forum.

Thanks Andy

That's really good news

Guest garyheidi7

Hi tommo66, Andy

Thanks for that info, we dont seem to have an email address for you, so if you would nt mind pm it to us that would be great to have someone to ask questions to and general info on how your getting on. Thanks very much. Heidi and Gary.:smile:

It seems more people than me feel dizzy when reading the guidelines. I do not have PRA, start from ZERO.:arghh: