Guest James.S

Guest CKIRL

My advice to you is to get the craft cert. In the mean time call up Peer Tec in South Australia and for I think about $500.00 they send you a workbook for the wiring rules. You fill out the workbook and with your TRA you fly to South Australia for two days and do an open book exam on the wiring rules. You get the cert on the second day which gives you enough time to go to the Ocbasa to apply for the SA licence.

They will then post it out to you in six weeks and then you transfer it over for a NSW licence.

With regards to employment you my advice is to ring up electrical contractors and get talking to them.

Hi Oh has been in the royal navy for 20 years and is due out anytime he is a po electrician tech

we have been advised to go to oz as electrician special class .

He is a trained armourer/ hydraulic's, electrician , weapon engineer , has a foundation degree.

Think we are now looking at getting sponsered employment instead of the 175 (modl) which is no more .( 5 points off doh GSM !)

I have searched and searched for work and places to send CV 's Have any ideas ?

:wideeyed:Totally new to us even looking for a job lol so is finding this quite a challenge lol

Guest MadChicken

Anyone with any advice on the qld 39093 theory and practicle exam to obtain an QLD electrical mechanic licence? ie the types of questions in the theory? what you had to do in the practicle? any help would be appreciated

Guest steve the spark
Anyone with any advice on the qld 39093 theory and practicle exam to obtain an QLD electrical mechanic licence? ie the types of questions in the theory? what you had to do in the practicle? any help would be appreciated

have you enrolled anywhere ?

if not speak to chris at qet HomePage

regards steve

Guest MadChicken

Thanks for the reply Steve, im currently back in the uk.I peviously had a 4 yr sponsorship with an electrical company as a TA.whilst in oz i got my tra as elec mechanic and permit,i registerd with tafe and completed my log books.But i had to return to the uk. Ill be back in brisbane soon and think ill enroll with qet to finish it off because not too impressed with the tafe. I just need to get some revision in and prepare for the practicle so i can take the tests as soon as i return to oz as my employer is keen for me to get the gold card. i know my AS 3000 rules pretty well and have plenty of on site experience, mainly residential in oz.

could anyone giude about how to have positive result in vetasses as general electrician 341111 and what type of questions/task in practical .from where i could get required matter.i was applied in 2k7 with tra and crushed by chris evil under cap and cease.does this tra have any favour now .

Guest steve the spark
could anyone giude about how to have positive result in vetasses as general electrician 341111 and what type of questions/task in practical .from where i could get required matter.i was applied in 2k7 with tra and crushed by chris evil under cap and cease.does this tra have any favour now .

where abouts are you, ? UK ?

hi elec.guy,

i did my veta in March 2009 in Mumbai (positive out come).

please read this thread from the first page and check my previous posts(through my profile), u'll get suffient information about the vetassess. there are some enlighting postings by James and other sparkies.at present where do u live? in India or ozz? if you are in India i can give you more information about the assessment venue.

hi elec.guy,

i did my veta in March 2009 in Mumbai (positive out come).

please read this thread from the first page and check my previous posts(through my profile), u'll get suffient information about the vetassess. there are some enlighting postings by James and other sparkies.at present where do u live? in India or ozz? if you are in India i can give you more information about the assessment venue.

first thanks for reply as i mentioned earlier my visa class was capped this month becoz of a witty minister called evan .i was in the final but it had no consideration by immi.so i am in India (Punjab).Chandigarh is the nearest venue for me.first time i hired agent for tra and visa.and now i am going with my own efforts.i have completed 50% of assessment but want to clear all doubts before submitting.so every minor help will be appreciated :yes:tell me about your whole process in detail if possible

Hi all,

Are there any sparkies out there in Oz who are working on commercial / industrial construction sites and installing metal conduit, tray, trunking ,swa etc. I know this type of work is not as prevalent as in the the UK and it's the type of work I like doing. I really want to avoid house bashing. The only jobs that are listed are domestic or jobs that require experience with PLC's ,which I don't have. I have a little bit of experience of working on solar panels and wind turbines and would be interested to hear from those working in these fields. Also,I would be interested in hearing any responses from those in the Brisbane area where I am hoping to relocate. Regards Derren

Guest lcys2460

Can anyone assist? There are pages on this thread!

My boyfriend and I are coming over to QLD in a months time. We've had our visa for over 2 years (the old 136 under General Electrican) - commercial not housing bashing as he says!.

I've had a look as it seems the licensing has changed over the last 2 years with the introduction of vettasses???

My understanding now is that from the justice.qld.gov.au website he needs to apply for the 'Electrical Fitter' on form 'Electrical Work Licence/Permit (other than apprentice) so that he can work and re-train - I know all about the re-training etc.

I just want to check I'm on the right path with this? (And yes I have got an aussie address to send it too!)

Thanks for your help

Hello

We have been here six weeks last two weeks has been HB sorting out a licence. As they aren't nationally recognized and we are in NSW the option we were told was do the 6 months bridging TAFE course which starts in Jan so that would mean a year before applying to work licensed - unlicensed salary is a pittance. HB has been Foreman for many years in the UK. So we then applied to the VTT for the craft certificate which he got but after some advice (previous pages from CKIRL) to us I have noted below and this is the fastest way. Apply to TRA (even after they allowed you to immigrate with what you have) for an ARTC. Now CKIRL's advice below:

In the mean time call up Peer Tec in South Australia and for I think about $500.00 they send you a workbook for the wiring rules. You fill out the workbook and with your TRA you fly to South Australia for two days and do an open book exam on the wiring rules. You get the cert on the second day which gives you enough time to go to the Ocbasa to apply for the SA licence.

They will then post it out to you in six weeks and then you transfer it over for a NSW licence.

So at the moment waiting for ARTC to come through so we can follow through with Peer Tec's requirements. The form for ARTC was like the immigration one requesting certified copies of certs etc.

Hope this helps.

We are on 136 received Aug 08 only arrived July 2010. Good Luck! Please let us know if you get any further info that maybe useful.

Guest graham spragg

Hi

I'm a quaified sparky and have been for years - I also worked in Oz for a year as a casual electrican.

I've been looking into getting my electrical licence in WA,SA and QLD - not quite sure which state would best as we will end living up in QLD.

I have had my TRA since 2007 and am in the process of completing a ARTC form for a WA licence - if I decide to go for a WA licence I will then tranfer it to a QLD licence.

I have been informed that it would take over a year to recieve a full QLD electrical licence.

Which is why i've been looking at other alternatives.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Graham and Michelle

Guest steve the spark

Can anyone assist? There are pages on this thread!

My boyfriend and I are coming over to QLD in a months time. We've had our visa for over 2 years (the old 136 under General Electrican) - commercial not housing bashing as he says!.

I've had a look as it seems the licensing has changed over the last 2 years with the introduction of vettasses???

no it hasnt the only slight change is that electical safty offices now accept the vettesess certificate as proof of off shore training as well as the artc issed by the tra ( dont mix up a tra cert with an artc cert the tra certificate is issued for migration purposes only and the artc is issued as proof that your trade has been assessed as comparable with austalian standards of training "austalian recognised trade certificate" = artc

My understanding now is that from the justice.qld.gov.au website he needs to apply for the 'Electrical Fitter' on form 'Electrical Work Licence/Permit (other than apprentice) so that he can work and re-train - I know all about the re-training etc.

no do not apply for fitter apply as electrical mechanic ( a fitter is a restricted licence with a fitters licnce he wont be able to work on anything connected to the fixed wiring its ussually issued to maintenance sparks for working on motors etc which form part of electrical machinery )

I just want to check I'm on the right path with this? (And yes I have got an aussie address to send it too!)

Thanks for your help

for gap training courses and help with licencing (in qld) i would suggest that you contact chris at qet HomePage

regards steve

Guest steve the spark

Hi

I'm a quaified sparky and have been for years - I also worked in Oz for a year as a casual electrican.

I've been looking into getting my electrical licence in WA,SA and QLD - not quite sure which state would best as we will end living up in QLD.

I have had my TRA since 2007 and am in the process of completing a ARTC form for a WA licence - if I decide to go for a WA licence I will then tranfer it to a QLD licence.

I have been informed that it would take over a year to recieve a full QLD electrical licence.

it shouldnt you can do a course at compaines such as qet by correspondance and sit the exam ( 1 day at the rto ) you`ll also need to have completed about 4 months work in a log book signed by a supervisor to show taht youve worked on different aspects of electrical installations

Any help would be great

Cheers

Graham and Michelle

one of the problems with licencing in au is the conflicting advice you get,

and by this i dont mean on forums like this one,

ive found over the last five years that if you call the local licencing office or tafe ( tech college where gap traing courses are run ) and speak to differnt people you`ll get conflicting advice its like the right hand dosnt know what the lefts doing

Guest graham spragg
Hi

it shouldnt you can do a course at compaines such as qet by correspondance and sit the exam ( 1 day at the rto ) you`ll also need to have completed about 4 months work in a log book signed by a supervisor to show taht youve worked on different aspects of electrical installations

Any help would be great

Cheers

Graham and Michelle

one of the problems with licencing in au is the conflicting advice you get,

and by this i dont mean on forums like this one,

ive found over the last five years that if you call the local licencing office or tafe ( tech college where gap traing courses are run ) and speak to differnt people you`ll get conflicting advice its like the right hand dosnt know what the lefts doing

Hi Steve the Spark

Hows the gold Coast? is it starting to warm up yet?

Are they hosting the indy cars this year?

Cant say i've ever heard of qet or rto before. I shall look into it asap.

This course you have propossed that i take, only 4 months supervised works onsite needed and then i must take a exam, how long from stat to finish?

Im thinking a will also need a ARTC cert for Qld licencing, would it be a problem if i have one for WA or are they all the same?

Thanks alot for your help Steve

Graham and M

Guest steve the spark

Hi Steve the Spark

Hows the gold Coast? is it starting to warm up yet?

slowly 22 yesterday

Are they hosting the indy cars this year?

yes but its changed its name ( something to do withy theV8 season)

Cant say i've ever heard of qet or rto before. I shall look into it asap.

qet queensland electrical training speak to chris

link-- HomePage

or qet@tpg.com.au

rto is just another name for tafe ( college) rto registered trainging organistion usually given to companies running training facilities

This course you have propossed that i take, only 4 months supervised works onsite needed and then i must take a exam, how long from stat to finish?

for all the details again speak to chris on the above link

Im thinking a will also need a ARTC cert for Qld licencing, would it be a problem if i have one for WA or are they all the same?

again speak to chris but i`m sure he does a course for people with an ostr issued by vettesses

Thanks alot for your help Steve

Graham and M

no probs mate

Guest peckanovski

Hello all,

I'm an electrician from England going to Perth in March on a years working holiday visa and hoping to make things permanent if things work out. I'm applying for my ARTC soon which I think I should get no problem but I'm not sure what type of work I'll be able to get on arrival. I understand jobs as a fully fledged electrician will not be possible until I've achieved my "A Grade" but I'm hoping I'll be able to get work in a similar field even an electricians labourer (Sparky's mate) when I get there to pay the bills. Does anyone know if such jobs are easy to come by?. If anyone on here has been in a similar situation I'd like to know how they got on. Any information on achieving the A grade once in WA (with an ARTC already in place) would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks

Guest graham spragg

Hi Steve

Glad to hear its getting warmer you.

I cant wait to get over and start enjoying the QLD weather, beach, snags, tinies etc

Are you a ford or holden man?

I've sent Chris an email and hope to hear from him soon.

Just a little concerned about the whole not having a vettesses situation but have already been told not to worry about it.

How is the work situation looking down under?

Things do seem to be picking up again over here (at last) never been so busy, having to turn work down!

Graham

Guest jackief

Hi

My OH has is an electrician but has had his TRA returned with an option to sit a test for an electrical fitter. What he is (we think) is an electrical mechanic but they say that he needs to have been doing electrical work for the last 7 years - which he hasnt - he has an apprenticeship many years ago, but they say even with this he cannpt be an electrical mechanic (stupid name for an electrician!! ) Anyways what I wanted to know was if he got the Electrical Fitter licence - what would he need to do to become an electrical mechanic? Any help greatly appreciated.

By the way we are living in Victoria and love it - I am working but its mega bucks here and we need both of us working asap !!!!

Cheers guys

Guest steve the spark
Hi

My OH has is an electrician but has had his TRA returned with an option to sit a test for an electrical fitter. What he is (we think) is an electrical mechanic but they say that he needs to have been doing electrical work for the last 7 years - which he hasnt - he has an apprenticeship many years ago, but they say even with this he cannpt be an electrical mechanic (stupid name for an electrician!! ) Anyways what I wanted to know was if he got the Electrical Fitter licence - what would he need to do to become an electrical mechanic? Any help greatly appreciated.

By the way we are living in Victoria and love it - I am working but its mega bucks here and we need both of us working asap !!!!

Cheers guys

difficult to point you in the right direction as each state has its own interpretations of the rules, each state also has its own name for an electrician whic confuses the matter further,

if you where in qld you would have to do do the following

( taken from q.e.t queensland electrical training web site )

The Electrical Safety Act states the requirements for an Electrical Mechanic Licence. QET assists those people that have an electrical fitter's licence and are seeking an electrical mechanic licence.

First, you need to apply for your electrical mechanic licence with this application form along with a current CPR Certificate (current means less than 1 year)

The Electrical Licensing Dept will send you a Training Permit to allow you to perform electrical mechanic work under supervision.

You now need to gain experience in electrical mechanic work (i.e. installing wiring systems, testing electrical installations) to gain on-job experience in working as an electrical mechanic. At the same time, QET offers the following course for your off-job training.

Certificate III in Engineering (Electrical/Electronics) .

This course requires you to demonstrate all competencies in working as an electrical mechanic. The assessment for this course falls across two days where you will be required to demonstrate competence both in theoretical exams and practical exams.

Once both the on-job and off-job training is completed, a Form 31 and a Completion Statement, signed by your employer, yourself, and QET, is forwarded to the Electrical Licensing Dept for the issuance of your electrical Mechanic licence.

i`d have to assume something similar would be required in victoria but you`ll have to go around the tafes and rto`s yourself to find the right course etc

hope this has been of some use

regards steve

ps try contacting the "pom from oz" he`s in victoria and may be able to help

Guest steve the spark

Hi Steve

Glad to hear its getting warmer you.

I cant wait to get over and start enjoying the QLD weather, beach, snags, tinies etc

Are you a ford or holden man?

I've sent Chris an email and hope to hear from him soon.

Just a little concerned about the whole not having a vettesses situation but have

already been told not to worry about it.

carry on with your artc application it carries more weight that the vetts cert

How is the work situation looking down under?

not good to be honest its dead at the moment and i cannot see any improvement, though the goverment would try to convince you otherwise

Things do seem to be picking up again over here (at last) never been so busy, having to turn work down!

might be work hanging on for 12 months if thats an option?

Graham

regards steve