Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
we have been here 7 yrs have the house on the market ( really bad time for selling ) and returning to Devon asap...when house is sold.......enjoyed our time here...but time to go back now.

-

Hi Tidninn,

We are looking to put our house on the market soon, we are in Berwick, South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne, can I ask why you say it is a bad time for selling...

Cheers

Hello OzzHamer,

I can't speak for Melbourne...we are in Twin Waters on the Sunshine Coast..house has been on the market for 5 months.....estate agents are closing down ..there are no buyers or investers at the moment...we are in the $645.000 bracket and will be lucky to get $500.000.if that...the market here is quite flat....and its a lovely area..but a sign of the times our agent tells us...but I wish you all the luck with your sale!!!!

Guest leigha

Arrived in Oz 31/12/99 returned home on 13/06/2011.

Lived in Perth but that nagging feeling of home never went away. Australia was a great place especially to bring up your kids but home is definitely where the heart is.

My two (now grown up kids) arrive her on 5th August,it was a family decision so just hope they fit in and get jobs. fingers crossed!!!!

There seems to be more and more Poms returning to the UK so I thought it may help to have a register of us so others know who we are and who to talk to if they need to talk.

Are you sure that more and more Poms are returning to the UK?

Or is it a case of not wanting the facts to spoil a good story?

I doubt if there has EVER been a year when the number of Poms returning has exceeded the number coming here!

PS almost forgot that many of those who do go back to the UK end up regretting it and coming back to Australia!

easy there mary rose, its was just a statement that more and more poms seem to be moving back, where did it say 'more poms moving back than coming here?

indeed with the exchange rate there are those who have taken this opportunity to get back to blighty with more cash in their hands.

dont take it personally and please...dont start yet another oz v uk argument, no-one wins cos n-one can.

:arghh:

II thought he was implying that Australia is becoming unpopular with Poms and more and more are returning to the UK.

I don't believe that to be the case. Also, you have to look at the numbers coming to Australia and the numbers returning to the UK to establish the facts?

ok we're going back, not nescessarily to the uk but def europe bound.

reasons for going back, cost of living, the oz lifestyle doesnt exist for me.

for us (2 adults + 2 kids) $95k isnt realistically enough to live comfortably enough that we dont have to constantly keep an eye on what we're spending...

we dont live outragously extravagant lifestyle basic no going out so far, but def you need $100k+ to live here...

whilst australia is lovely, i cant imagine everowning a house here etc

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres less than 1% of members on PIO coming back to the uk and most that come back do so because they mainly miss family and friends, not because they don't like Australia.

Guest Hatton

No one knows how many come back and stay in the UK to be honest, at present my aussie hubby and i have no intention of going back although he misses his family, we know quite a few aussies in Cornwall who have lived here a long time.

Some people like Oz some people like the UK...THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

No one knows how many come back and stay in the UK to be honest, at present my aussie hubby and i have no intention of going back although he misses his family, we know quite a few aussies in Cornwall who have lived here a long time.

Some people like Oz some people like the UK...THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.

And some people find far better opportunities in UK - my son is one of them, he considers himself an Aussie even though he came here at 6 months. Until recently I think he had thoughts of returning to Australia down the track but his last visit really cemented for him the benefits that he has in UK and he couldnt wait to get on the plane and be gone back to his life/future/home/relationships. A few of his school friends have found the same and they have the occasional school get together in UK. His gap "year" is coming up for a gap "decade" next week! He certainly wouldnt have been registered in the "citizens leaving Australia permanently" category on the exit card at the airport - the figures are pretty rubbery I suspect.

Guest guest30038

Just caught the back end of a trailer on channel 7 tonight (I think it's Today Tonight). It said 48,000 migrants are wishing to return to their home country (dunno where they got the figures) and the programme will give the reasons..............it did mention whingeing and poms, so should make interesting watching.

Guest Whinging Pom
it did mention whingeing and poms, so should make interesting watching.

Did someone mention my name? :hug:

I was searching for facts on the program that's on air tonight, thats how i found this thread. I did know about the forum before but this prompted me to sign up & give my two cents worth.

After i watch the show though. :wink:

WP.

People have always returned to their own country, a lot of Greeks and Italians used to move back once they retired. Suppose some of them still do. Some just want to pass on in their country of origin.

I always think of all the people who have left UK for other parts of the world and wonder what would happen if everyone decided to head home, what a disaster that would be for the powers that be :laugh:

I know a few young ones who live overseas from our group and they have made good lives for themselves and its fortunate that this can happen now quite easily.

Global village is alive and well

Theres less than 1% of members on PIO coming back to the uk and most that come back do so because they mainly miss family and friends, not because they don't like Australia.

As low as that eh? Trouble is, it seems to be a bit more when you see the posts 'jumping' out at you. That's why I'd like to see the 'going back to UK' on a separate website.

But what do I know anyway - I'm a climate change denier!

ps I remember I did some research on the 10 Pound Poms and came up with a figure - fraction - of about 1/8 returning to the UK permanently.

People have always returned to their own country, a lot of Greeks and Italians used to move back once they retired. Suppose some of them still do. Some just want to pass on in their country of origin.

I always think of all the people who have left UK for other parts of the world and wonder what would happen if everyone decided to head home, what a disaster that would be for the powers that be :laugh:

I know a few young ones who live overseas from our group and they have made good lives for themselves and its fortunate that this can happen now quite easily.

Global village is alive and well

It might not be a disaster for the UK if all the other nationalities decided to move back to their country of origin at the same time Petals. It would be a blessing.

Everywhere would be like Midsommer Murders villages again.:wink:

(I think it's Today Tonight)

I was searching for facts on the program

I think "facts" and "Today Tonight" are mutually exclusive comments. It's full of garbage, rumour and innuendo. They must have run out of stories about worlds worst neighbour, don't have any footage of people stealing from good sammy bins or how many doctors are giving away ritalin like smarties.

If you want a decent news show at that time watch George Negus.

As low as that eh? Trouble is, it seems to be a bit more when you see the posts 'jumping' out at you. That's why I'd like to see the 'going back to UK' on a separate website.

Why?

Nobody is forcing you to read the threads on the MBTTUK forum whether the post is "Jumping " out at you or not.

Wow, how did you worked that out?

Do you keep an official record of all the PIO members? :laugh:

What about expats who are not members on any forums as such, or those who don't feel the need to announce that they are moving back?

Guest Whinging Pom
What about expats who are not members on any forums as such, or those who don't feel the need to announce that they are moving back?

Well said, not everyone reads or post on forums & besides if they was on this forum & had given up with Australia they probably wouldn't bother coming on here any more.

There are lots of people on this forum who are still in the "Honeymoon" stage of there Australian life, give it a few years to really suss the place & its people out.

WP.

Guest Whinging Pom

Ooh juicy, they just said "1 in 3 leaving Australia" that's a third right? 33% correct?

WP.

Archived