Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest martinandmanda

I have cried and cried since I got here on 22nd August 2010. I came with a job offer and my husband but left behind my 3 grown children 26, 24 and 21 and my beautiful grandaughter, Niamh 3 in December and grandson Nathan just 10 weeks old! It was always my dream to live out here but the dream included my children. Now it is nothing more than a nightmare. I miss everything so much, coming home from work and just calling in to see my little Niamh with sweets or a toy and giving her a hug a kiss. Having her come and stay over with me and snuggling into bed with her hair all scrogged and mental looking. Watching timmytime, in the night garden and scooby doo snuggled on a settee and having her look throught the argos showing me what she wants me to buy her next. I'm already missing my baby grandson so much and I have known him for 4 weeks. I want to be there when he cuts his first tooth, starts to crawl and then walk and eventually say "nanny".

I have really tried to make it work and done the most stupid things like buy furniture to try and help me settle, buy a car and I even went into work to see if that would help with the lonliness. I found that standards in hospitals are definately nowhere near what they are in the UK and really didnt think I could cope with their non-existent infection control (im a theatre nurse). The sunshine has gone out of my life and i miss it so much. No beach, scenery or even a better wage is anywhere as nice as a snuggle from my little Niamh so I'M GOING HOME! Booked it, now I'm packing it all back up and then I'm flying off! Back to Blightly where the weather is awful (hasn't really been that good here yet) but HOME to the loveliest little girl in the world and my sunshine.

I know I havnt been here long but every step I take into trying to settle a little bit more sends me deeper into a depression. For those of you who are gonna say "did you not think about missing family before you came out" Yes I did and I really thought I would be able to cope. Hindsight has 20/20 vision and now I know I cant do any of this without my family around me. I am glad I tried it as now I will never have any regrets, also I have totally found the true meaning of "HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS"

xx

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have cried and cried since I got here on 22nd August 2010. I came with a job offer and my husband but left behind my 3 grown children 26, 24 and 21 and my beautiful grandaughter, Niamh 3 in December and grandson Nathan just 10 weeks old! It was always my dream to live out here but the dream included my children. Now it is nothing more than a nightmare. I miss everything so much, coming home from work and just calling in to see my little Niamh with sweets or a toy and giving her a hug a kiss. Having her come and stay over with me and snuggling into bed with her hair all scrogged and mental looking. Watching timmytime, in the night garden and scooby doo snuggled on a settee and having her look throught the argos showing me what she wants me to buy her next. I'm already missing my baby grandson so much and I have known him for 4 weeks. I want to be there when he cuts his first tooth, starts to crawl and then walk and eventually say "nanny".

I have really tried to make it work and done the most stupid things like buy furniture to try and help me settle, buy a car and I even went into work to see if that would help with the lonliness. I found that standards in hospitals are definately nowhere near what they are in the UK and really didnt think I could cope with their non-existent infection control (im a theatre nurse). The sunshine has gone out of my life and i miss it so much. No beach, scenery or even a better wage is anywhere as nice as a snuggle from my little Niamh so I'M GOING HOME! Booked it, now I'm packing it all back up and then I'm flying off! Back to Blightly where the weather is awful (hasn't really been that good here yet) but HOME to the loveliest little girl in the world and my sunshine.

I know I havnt been here long but every step I take into trying to settle a little bit more sends me deeper into a depression. For those of you who are gonna say "did you not think about missing family before you came out" Yes I did and I really thought I would be able to cope. Hindsight has 20/20 vision and now I know I cant do any of this without my family around me. I am glad I tried it as now I will never have any regrets, also I have totally found the true meaning of "HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS"

xx

:hug: BIG HUGS HUN XXXXX

just make sure we catch up before you go back and their should be no regrets xxx you tryed and family is always gotta come first xxx

lots of love carole xxxx

xx

:hug: BIG HUGS HUN XXXXX

just make sure we catch up before you go back and their should be no regrets xxx you tryed and family is always gotta come first xxx

lots of love carole xxxx

Guest juliemtaylor

Amanda, unbelievable news, and you haven't been here long..

Big hugs and hope you are all ok and getting sorted to go back again to your family, see you soon,

Julie xxx

Guest martinandmanda

I havnt have I but who knows I may be back again one day! Never thought I would miss the grandchildren so much. Miss my kids too but they are big and ugly enough to take care of themseves, but how I miss those little ones. Think we may have rushed into this a tad too quick! I only applied for my visa Dec 09 and had it in hand May. The job offer was a big factor too. I have rushed into this and not thought it through properly. A reccie would have been no good as I would have said, its lovely yes yes yes. But now I know dont I. So me and hubby treating this as a validation trip and a reccie with all the real thoughts and feelings and the emotional roller coaster thrown in!!! Im gonna go home and after hugging and squishing my babies and kissing them Im gonna pick meself up, dust meself down and start all over again. IF and it is a BIG IF we ever do try again I will definately be prepared.

I havnt have I but who knows I may be back again one day! Never thought I would miss the grandchildren so much. Miss my kids too but they are big and ugly enough to take care of themseves, but how I miss those little ones. Think we may have rushed into this a tad too quick! I only applied for my visa Dec 09 and had it in hand May. The job offer was a big factor too. I have rushed into this and not thought it through properly. A reccie would have been no good as I would have said, its lovely yes yes yes. But now I know dont I. So me and hubby treating this as a validation trip and a reccie with all the real thoughts and feelings and the emotional roller coaster thrown in!!! Im gonna go home and after hugging and squishing my babies and kissing them Im gonna pick meself up, dust meself down and start all over again. IF and it is a BIG IF we ever do try again I will definately be prepared.

It's very easy to get swept along - now you are doing what you need to do and that's all that matters! Take care - and keep in touch x x

Guest guest22466

xx

What an honest post and I would also love to swap places with you as I dont have a choice about going home to the UK as I HAVE to stay in Australia to take care of my son after a divorce. So grab it with both hands and enjoy home with your lovely family ...they are important people in your life as you are to them. I cant believe at times how selfish I was leaving my family and friends but thought I would be able to go back anytime I wanted...thats not the case for me now....I cant see me living in Australia for ever and will return home one day but then Id have to leave my son or he might come back with me when he is old enough to decide for himself...its a never ending circle. Really admire you coming here and also admitting you want to go back HOME. I wish you all the best what ever you do in this life.

Everyone has their reasons for going home. Im like so many others on this thread, I simply do not like it here.I realise what we had in the UK, and miss so much its unreal Every day for us, is like "groundhog day".We are just finding each day harder and harder to get through.Its a bit too early to start booking stuff like removals etc, but I think once we start, doing that, it will feel a bit more positive, and the end will be in sight

No-one knows if it will work out for them, when they make the move to OZ.We certainly never thought, we would feel as we do.I know we watched a couple of TV programmes back in the UK, before we came, and it was people who did not like it here, returning home.I can remember thinking , 'we wont be like that ", but we are

Its got to be the worst feeling I have ever experienced, wanting to be somewhere else.It tears me apart everyday,,,sounds a bit dramatic, but I feel sick to the bottom of my stomach,and the heartwrenching feeling, just does not go away.

I think so many of us, are so brave to be on this forum, admitting its not right for us.Because often thats the hard part.I hope people are not put off, from expressing thier true feelings and coming onto the forum, by anyone who jumps on them, for showing any negativity towards OZ

This is where , we should be able to "let off steam', and ask advice, without critisim and being made to feel that ,you are some sort of idiot, because, OZ is not right,,,for whatever reason.Everyone is different,and its a M BTTUK , forum here, so of course there is going to be negativity about life here.If people dont want to hear it,,,Dont look

I miss things I did not ever imagine about life at home .Nothing could of ever prepared me for how we feel, as a family,and how much we want to go home.

So many people come here and it works out just great for them, and for so many others It doesant work out, for all sorts of reasons

To anyone coming out, reading these posts, Give it a go.If you dont do it, you will never know

But to anyone, who wants to go home, I think this MBTTUK forum is fantastic.You realise that you are not alone, theres some great people to give you some great support and advice

Thank Goodness I found this forum, because I thought I was the only one who felt this way, and I was off to the 'Funny farm" at any time

Nothing can prepare you for the depression and the way you feel,when you dont want to be somewhere and its great to be able to chat,and talk to others who feel as you do

Guest deedarbikes

Been here 11 months from Sheffield and still dont know which way to go. We live in a fantastic house overlooking Port Phillip bay with palm trees, hot tub, on the doorstep of good vineyards etc etc but the people are hard work. The sense of humour is just very different, cant describe why, and the people are very hard of thinking if you catch my drift. If its not written in a guideline or manual or policy then things grind to a halt, no common sense or ingenuity.

This all goes to make work a difficult prospect and the "dream" job I came here to do has turned into a nightmare.

In the uk we had many hobbies which required commitment and have been difficult to replicate here due to the feeling of being unable to settle.

We really cant complain as earning bucket loads more but it costs bucket loads more as well.

The real sting is that I am tied in to at least 2 years of my contract or I have to pay them relocation expenses back. We also have a dog which we got here to give us some focus and we are looking at getting him jabbed for rabies so in 7 months he can travel without being held in quarantine ( theres no way we would leave him). Its good to be in a position to make a decision without emotional issues such as animals etc

When you look on the programmes they tell you all about how great the weather and lifestyle is but they omit the fact that Melbourne is pretty dull and cold in the winter and as for lifestyle, I am 2 hrs a day travelling to and from work and so knackered when I get home I am asleep for 8pm!!!

We went back to Sheffield in August and had a fantastic time but it is also important to remember, pretty much like coming here on holiday, going home to see your friends is not the real world either. Absence makes the heart grow fonder as someone once said!!!

But, you do miss your support network.

Anyway, rant over

Steve n Rach

Mt Martha,

Vic

Guest martinandmanda
Been here 11 months from Sheffield and still dont know which way to go. We live in a fantastic house overlooking Port Phillip bay with palm trees, hot tub, on the doorstep of good vineyards etc etc but the people are hard work. The sense of humour is just very different, cant describe why, and the people are very hard of thinking if you catch my drift. If its not written in a guideline or manual or policy then things grind to a halt, no common sense or ingenuity.

This all goes to make work a difficult prospect and the "dream" job I came here to do has turned into a nightmare.

In the uk we had many hobbies which required commitment and have been difficult to replicate here due to the feeling of being unable to settle.

We really cant complain as earning bucket loads more but it costs bucket loads more as well.

The real sting is that I am tied in to at least 2 years of my contract or I have to pay them relocation expenses back. We also have a dog which we got here to give us some focus and we are looking at getting him jabbed for rabies so in 7 months he can travel without being held in quarantine ( theres no way we would leave him). Its good to be in a position to make a decision without emotional issues such as animals etc

When you look on the programmes they tell you all about how great the weather and lifestyle is but they omit the fact that Melbourne is pretty dull and cold in the winter and as for lifestyle, I am 2 hrs a day travelling to and from work and so knackered when I get home I am asleep for 8pm!!!

We went back to Sheffield in August and had a fantastic time but it is also important to remember, pretty much like coming here on holiday, going home to see your friends is not the real world either. Absence makes the heart grow fonder as someone once said!!!

Anyway, rant over

Steve n Rach

Mt Martha,

Vic

I really feel for you both. My mind is made up and im going back home on Monday. Really need to see my babies and give them hugs and make up for the weeks Iv been away. However, I cannot say that I dont like it here. Im in Mornington and it really is beautiful. So far, everyone has been friendly the only thng that is missing is my kids!!

I understand how difficult it is when you have been sponsored, which is the reason I did not want to go down that one. But if I had, I would not have spent the thousands it had taken me to get here! basically, I would just pay them back whatever I owed and be happy. If your contract is for 2 years and you have been there 1 then surly you would only have to pay half that back? I really hope you get yourself sorted real soon x :hug: x

I just can't work "myself" out lol so how the hell I expect other people to I don't know:embarrassed:

I mostly have days where I am happy and feel so lucky to be here and I still get the "wow" feeling every time I take a trip somewhere THEN I have the odd day where I just can't wait to get home to Spain!

When I feel like that I find myself wishing the time away OR worrying that something will happen to one of us and we'll not make it there together which is so bl***y irrational of me...............

I love Australia at the moment but do I want to grow old here?

No!

Btw..............had a beautiful day on the Illawarra Coast today........that's when I pinch myself!

I think when you know it's not 100% for you,for whatever your reasons may be, the feeling of not belonging never goes away which makes you seek out the familiar................just my opinion!

My best wishes to all those returning home.............I'll be with you in 2012............:yes:

Guest deedarbikes

cheers for that, I forgot to mention my 18 year old son in england and mum in a care home, just not the right time to be here I suppose but we will just have to grin and bear it!! Good luck with the move.

Guest guest22466
I just can't work "myself" out lol so how the hell I expect other people to I don't know:embarrassed:

I mostly have days where I am happy and feel so lucky to be here and I still get the "wow" feeling every time I take a trip somewhere THEN I have the odd day where I just can't wait to get home to Spain!

When I feel like that I find myself wishing the time away OR worrying that something will happen to one of us and we'll not make it there together which is so bl***y irrational of me...............

I love Australia at the moment but do I want to grow old here?

No!

Btw..............had a beautiful day on the Illawarra Coast today........that's when I pinch myself!

I think when you know it's not 100% for you,for whatever your reasons may be, the feeling of not belonging never goes away which makes you seek out the familiar................just my opinion!

My best wishes to all those returning home.............I'll be with you in 2012............:yes:

So understand your post and one of the ways I can explain how it feels for me is like having your heart in two different countries and feeling this heart is being torn apart and not really knowing how you are supposed to feel.....such strange feelings...but all the best to everyone who has the choice to go back home xx

Anyway, rant over

Steve n Rach

Mt Martha,

Vic

Hi

You are so right in what you are saying. We did not do a reccie first, but I truely beleive even if we had,, we would not of seen the true OZ. We would of been in "holiday mode". You have to live here to find out if its right for you

You are right when you say, "if its not written in a manaual etc" I agree with you totaly.The jobs I have worked in here, have been exactly the same. No commonsense prevails, and so many things become a complete nightmare for this reason

I miss the sense of humour in the UK, Its not the same here

We have animals and plan to get the rabies jab , so as they can travel with us, as soon as we can go home. I count the days now, still have not got a definate date,but should be next year sometime.

Good Luck with whatever you deceide

Guest deedarbikes
Hi

You are so right in what you are saying. We did not do a reccie first, but I truely beleive even if we had,, we would not of seen the true OZ. We would of been in "holiday mode". You have to live here to find out if its right for you

You are right when you say, "if its not written in a manaual etc" I agree with you totaly.The jobs I have worked in here, have been exactly the same. No commonsense prevails, and so many things become a complete nightmare for this reason

I miss the sense of humour in the UK, Its not the same here

We have animals and plan to get the rabies jab , so as they can travel with us, as soon as we can go home. I count the days now, still have not got a definate date,but should be next year sometime.

Good Luck with whatever you deceide

Thanks for your kind words.

We did a reccie and were impressed but you dont see the true situation until you have lived here for a bit. Dont get me wrong, I dont regret it, cos if I had never done it, every bad day at work would have had me cursing not coming here!!

Taking dog for jab tomorrow, so in 7 months it is only down to money and not pain for the dog. Jetpets do the rabies vaccine $400 and this is taken off the final amount ($3800 for a german shepherd) if you do take the dog. I can see a phased return as my wife is really not into it here. If she went home with the dog in 7 months, got a job etc and me stay here to tidy things up, it may be an easier transition. You still have to earn a living and this is what worries me about the uk!!

We did a reccie and were impressed but you dont see the true situation until you have lived here for a bit. Dont get me wrong, I dont regret it, cos if I had never done it, every bad day at work would have had me cursing not coming here!!

Taking dog for jab tomorrow, so in 7 months it is only down to money and not pain for the dog. Jetpets do the rabies vaccine $400 and this is taken off the final amount ($3800 for a german shepherd) if you do take the dog. I can see a phased return as my wife is really not into it here. If she went home with the dog in 7 months, got a job etc and me stay here to tidy things up, it may be an easier transition. You still have to earn a living and this is what worries me about the uk!!

We are using Jetpets for our animals.They do sound really helpful and sound like they care about the animals

I hope evrything goes OK, with your doggie. German Shepherds are great dogs, we had 2 many, years ago.We have a little pomeranian cross now. Quite a size difference:biggrin:

You hear good and bad about the job situation in the UK,so I dont know what to beleive.But Im going to take my chances.I have struggled to find a job here in TAS and my Son is highly qualified in IT, but hes been out of work for 5 months here now

So its not all its cracked to be job-wise here.I would sooner be in the UK, out of work,because there is so much more I can fill my time with

PM me anytime for a chat, if you want to let off some steam

Good Luck with everything

Guest martinandmanda

I totally agree with the reccie thing, I didnt do one but if I had I would have been in holiday mode, safe knowing I was going back to the UK. I still would have come out and the same thing would have happened x

• 8 months later...

I just thought I'd give an update. Our family is still here in Melbourne and we have decided to stay. We were never thinking of returning to the UK due to a falling out with Australia...it was just (just?) missing of "home". After telling everyone that we were returning, both here and the UK, I believe the realization of the situation started to sink in. Our family back home were concerned that we were making a mistake, even if they were excited about our return. We have built a good life over here over the years and I do think it is a better country to bring up the kids...yes, I agree they will miss out on family which is also very important. Let's hope they're able to get that sense of belonging through visits home and frequent communication.

We're not ruling out an extended work period back in the UK, but Australia is now our home. We're in our 8th year Downunder and to be honest it is becoming very familiar to us. I'd be interested to hear how people have adjusted to going back to the UK. Anyway, all the best!

Guest Scotinaus
I just thought I'd give an update. Our family is still here in Melbourne and we have decided to stay. We were never thinking of returning to the UK due to a falling out with Australia...it was just (just?) missing of "home". After telling everyone that we were returning, both here and the UK, I believe the realization of the situation started to sink in. Our family back home were concerned that we were making a mistake, even if they were excited about our return. We have built a good life over here over the years and I do think it is a better country to bring up the kids...yes, I agree they will miss out on family which is also very important. Let's hope they're able to get that sense of belonging through visits home and frequent communication.

We're not ruling out an extended work period back in the UK, but Australia is now our home. We're in our 8th year Downunder and to be honest it is becoming very familiar to us. I'd be interested to hear how people have adjusted to going back to the UK. Anyway, all the best!

Your post really struck a chord with me.... we are in our 7th year in Melbourne but in our first couple of years we nearly left a couple of times.... Each time we told our parents they expressed concern! I took this a bit personally at first (I was only 22/23 so would not react the same way now) but hey were so right, and being totally selfless about it. They knew our life over here was an opportunity, and that we should at last give it a good go before coming back to the UK with no money, no job, etc. I am so glad we listened to their advice!

I know many people don't agree but I also think its where I want my kids to grow up (other choice would be London or a London commuter town!!). Te ability to be outside makes a world of difference. Missing family is always the hardest thing but regular visits and communication does help that. I know that I love my family just as much, think of them as much, and speak to them as (nearly) often as if I was in the UK, and I know they feel the same way about me. I am sure it will be the same when we have kids. If not, we will reassess but you can only make decisions based on the present circumstances.

We are actually likely heading back to the UK soon for a couple of years but definitely plan on coming back. Here is definitely home, and where are hearts are....We have citizenship which makes it easier.

Guest guest30038

"Never say never" to the above two posters and I'm glad you've both worked things out.

kev

Guest siamsusie
I am going home arrived 22/8/07 going home when i sell my house

Very best wishes to you for a successful and peaceful return.

:wubclub:Susie x

Archived