Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

More people coming back to Norfolk. I'm sure the place has a magnet that pulls us all back here!!

Good luck - it's good here!

They all come back to Norfolk - because its a bloody nice place to live .......i know its very unfashionable thing to say ......but ...." there are some fantastic places to live " in the u.k .......there thats better:biglaugh:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aldo
They all come back to Norfolk - because its a bloody nice place to live .......i know its very unfashionable thing to say ......but ...." there are some fantastic places to live " in the u.k .......there thats better:biglaugh:

I used to visit my mate in nick in norfork, he was on his last stint (cat C) and was allowed out for day release and we used to take him in local pubs there.. I must say that the locals where the friendliest folk i've ever met and some of the nicest pubs anywhere. The only problem was getting my mate to go back, we had to bribe him by throwing plastic bottles of vodka over the fence:dull:

sorry Jim

Guest karldyble

Hi, we're in Perth, after 4 months we know it's not for us, so we're giving it a year or so in total and then off back home. Can't move else where as sponsored visa. I miss somthing to do and things happening not to mention people with brains and a sense of humour. I miss the sound of church bells too and late summer evenings. If you don't fish, watch the footy or do press ups on the beach you're screwed in Perth!!

If you think I'm just a whinging pom then let me tell you, I met a couple today, an aussie who had been here (Perth) 19 years (stayed for his daughter - she's now off to the UK) and a kiwi who had been here 2. I said nothing to provoke these comments but simply asked why they were leaving Perth for NZ, they launched into a 10 minute Perth slating session in which they described it as the most boring place they had ever been to, it was backward and the education system was the one of the worst in the english speaking world. Not my words, True Blue Aussie words. It must be a bit crap if even the aussies are leaving.

There's more to life than a bit of sun and a beach or two!! Remeber that the UK is an Island and we have some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. That only leaves the sun missing, easily fixed, Ryan air £50 to Spain. It's all there if you go and have a look.

Guest claire&fred

Our possible return is down to a run over very bad luck and no amount of broken matches seem to have helped.

Lack of work is the biggest problem. My husband is a brickie by trade but unfortunately has been turned down for many jobs as he is old (40), and in some cases "not an Aussie". He did get work for a field exploration company, money was good, but they have you by the balls and can drop you as and when (which they did). The FIFO made it hard for us as a family but we got used to it. Just after Xmas he cut his foot with a disc cutter that snapped whilst he was using it and ended up in hospital having an op on a cut tendon. 3 months later was back to normal. Took ages applying for jobs, but no luck, at all. Finally got a bricklaying job with some really great guys, all Poms, first day slipped a disc, but carried on working, but by end of work could not walk. So back to square one, back still not good but still applying for pretty much every job including mcdonalds! He is not the man I married, disheartened, confidence gone, stooped and sits at home all day whilst I work pretty much full time (in a job that I do love). Our Landlord has decided to sell house so our time is up in August and we just love where we are so much. Our savings are pretty much gone and surviving on my salary and generous family.

Where does it end? We have gone backwards rather than forwards and I feel like I am going to explode with stress of it all. Our marriage is dwindling, we barely talk unless it is about the kids and I am just at a loss with it all.

To top it all I have all my family here so you think all would be well. We watched Love Actually on Friday night and I cannot believe I said stupid things like "I miss Waitrose, I miss London", things I have never said since being here.

All those that have returned or in the process of, or considering I admire you for doing what you are doing. Australia, as beautiful as it is, really is just so different and when you get to my age you do get set in your ways as much as you think you are not!

Well, there you go, I blurted it all out, how I have been feeling for a good 5 or so months now. Maybe all this would have happened whilst back in the UK, who knows?

Claire

Guest karldyble

Hi Claire,

sorry to hear that all is not well. First things first, if your hubby had to stop working because of an accident at work, get in touch with a solicitor. Nothing accentuates problems like a lack of cash, you don't notice at first but money stress builds slowly and effects everything. I've been there, we were near bankruptcy in the UK, not pleasant. If you can get a solicitor involved and sue you could get a few quid and then you have options. I'm in perth too and a plasterer and is if it's not creepy enough I also tried FIFO up in Karratha 4 and 1, lasted a week. No amount of money is worth spending time away from my GF with a bunch of pricks like that!!! When I checked the West Australian on Wed there were lots of jobs for brickies advertised, keep checking and ringing. even go in at $100 a day to start, anything to get a foot in the door. It's probably better than the $0 he's getting at the moment? Also get him out of the house and et him to drive around the building sites and just walk on and ask for work. Don't let him do a crap job, it won't make him feel any better. He probably feels useless and low enough at the mo without having some spotty 18 year old supervisor telling him what to do. A man needs to feel like a man, work hard, provide etc, we're simple creatures.

If I can help at all let me know. Good luck.

Karl.

Guest jackie Macdonald
Our possible return is down to a run over very bad luck and no amount of broken matches seem to have helped.

Lack of work is the biggest problem. My husband is a brickie by trade but unfortunately has been turned down for many jobs as he is old (40), and in some cases "not an Aussie". He did get work for a field exploration company, money was good, but they have you by the balls and can drop you as and when (which they did). The FIFO made it hard for us as a family but we got used to it. Just after Xmas he cut his foot with a disc cutter that snapped whilst he was using it and ended up in hospital having an op on a cut tendon. 3 months later was back to normal. Took ages applying for jobs, but no luck, at all. Finally got a bricklaying job with some really great guys, all Poms, first day slipped a disc, but carried on working, but by end of work could not walk. So back to square one, back still not good but still applying for pretty much every job including mcdonalds! He is not the man I married, disheartened, confidence gone, stooped and sits at home all day whilst I work pretty much full time (in a job that I do love). Our Landlord has decided to sell house so our time is up in August and we just love where we are so much. Our savings are pretty much gone and surviving on my salary and generous family.

Where does it end? We have gone backwards rather than forwards and I feel like I am going to explode with stress of it all. Our marriage is dwindling, we barely talk unless it is about the kids and I am just at a loss with it all.

To top it all I have all my family here so you think all would be well. We watched Love Actually on Friday night and I cannot believe I said stupid things like "I miss Waitrose, I miss London", things I have never said since being here.

All those that have returned or in the process of, or considering I admire you for doing what you are doing. Australia, as beautiful as it is, really is just so different and when you get to my age you do get set in your ways as much as you think you are not!

Well, there you go, I blurted it all out, how I have been feeling for a good 5 or so months now. Maybe all this would have happened whilst back in the UK, who knows?

Claire

:hug::hug: I am so very sorry it hasn't worked out for you all, it must be one big nightmare (and through no fault of your own). You can at least say you tried your best and that is all we can ever ask of ourselves. I hope you can eventually find happiness again wherever you may be. I know it is hard but however bad things may seem at times, with strength and the two of you pulling together, you will eventually crawl out of that black hole and start living again. I lived in Perth for 5 months (unlike yourselves, I hated it), we've been back almost a year now. We learnt a hell of a lot about ourselves in the process, and have no regrets, but when you reach the depth of despair, it is a real test on your sanity, but it can be overcome. When things seem beyond repair and all hope is lost, you will be surprised how things can turn around and how much stronger you can become afterwards. The bond between your partner and yourself can be strengthened as long as you stick together. I hope you get closer to finding your dream together. Hang on in there!

Jackie xx

Guest claire&fred
Hi Claire,

sorry to hear that all is not well. First things first, if your hubby had to stop working because of an accident at work, get in touch with a solicitor. Nothing accentuates problems like a lack of cash, you don't notice at first but money stress builds slowly and effects everything. I've been there, we were near bankruptcy in the UK, not pleasant. If you can get a solicitor involved and sue you could get a few quid and then you have options. I'm in perth too and a plasterer and is if it's not creepy enough I also tried FIFO up in Karratha 4 and 1, lasted a week. No amount of money is worth spending time away from my GF with a bunch of pricks like that!!! When I checked the West Australian on Wed there were lots of jobs for brickies advertised, keep checking and ringing. even go in at $100 a day to start, anything to get a foot in the door. It's probably better than the $0 he's getting at the moment? Also get him out of the house and et him to drive around the building sites and just walk on and ask for work. Don't let him do a crap job, it won't make him feel any better. He probably feels useless and low enough at the mo without having some spotty 18 year old supervisor telling him what to do. A man needs to feel like a man, work hard, provide etc, we're simple creatures.

If I can help at all let me know. Good luck.

Karl.

Hi Karl

Unfortunately when he did his foot he was doing a job for my Dad and we don't want to sue him. We rang Centrelink and they asked us to fill out all these forms which all in all took us 2 weeks to do as they wanted every single detail about us. When we took the forms in they sent us a letter saying we could not apply for any help as we had not been here 2 years. Why didnt the muppets tell me that when I rang them?

Now due to his slipped disc he is unable to do bricklaying. The Dr has said that if he carries on bricklaying he will end up in a wheelchair by the time he is 60 but the physio and Chiro say different. He spends everyday for a couple of hours on the internet applying for hundreds of jobs. He said to me at the weekend that he would not have been out of work this long back in the UK and although it is a wonderful life here for the kids it won't be if we cannot afford to keep a roof over our heads. We are really stuck between a giant bloody rock and a hard place and for the first time in my life I really am stumped and it is a horrible feeling.

Thanks for your help and advice though it really it is appreciated. I broke a whole load of matches last night so maybe things might start to look up!

Claire

Guest rose4eva
I agree Ali even though I am not going back to UK.

I know how it feels to be somewere when you heart is not in it.

I want to wish everybody going back to where their heart is love luck and happiness.

Please keep in touch as you will still be our cyber friends and distance wont separate that.:wubclub:

Hey i have to say i am so glad of this forum.. it's just wat i need, i lived in perth for 6 months on my own then moved to sydney, b4 moving to sydney i came home for 2 weeks back to wales and god that really unsettled me, it made me realise where my heart was!! I cudn't settle in sydney and after 6 weeks i returned back to UK.

I still do not feel totally settled, i now live in a totally diff part of wales and it's starting all again.

So i totally agree with ' i know how it feels to be somewhere when your heart is not in it'

xx alison xx

I have recently returned and know exactly what you mean - mixed feelings - apart from the scenery which is lovely - I also moved to Wales 'cos mother lives there - I'm afraid I am going to be a pingpong pom - when the lease runs out on house - paid 6 month's rent in advance.... I am going back - one thing I achieved - losing the bad relationship I had and the horrible area I lived in near Sydney. This feeling inside - its getting worse is telling me I don't belong here - will move back as soon as I can - at least I get to experience an English summer.... then take me back aeroplane... mum is a 'lady who lunches' and a control freak - "let me cut your hair" etc (and I didn't) ....

Guest rose4eva
I have recently returned and know exactly what you mean - mixed feelings - apart from the scenery which is lovely - I also moved to Wales 'cos mother lives there - I'm afraid I am going to be a pingpong pom - when the lease runs out on house - paid 6 month's rent in advance.... I am going back - one thing I achieved - losing the bad relationship I had and the horrible area I lived in near Sydney. This feeling inside - its getting worse is telling me I don't belong here - will move back as soon as I can - at least I get to experience an English summer.... then take me back aeroplane... mum is a 'lady who lunches' and a control freak - "let me cut your hair" etc (and I didn't) ....

Awwwwwww hun how long were you living in Oz for??

Where in Wales are you?

Guest MSTO

Well Fantasia some people say that you have to go back to come back.

15 years is a long time. Do you still have contact with the friends that you had before you left? Are you working? Maybe if you had these things the move back may have been a little easier or it could just be Australia is for you after all.

Good Luck I hope everything works out for you:biggrin:

:hug::hug: I am so very sorry it hasn't worked out for you all, it must be one big nightmare (and through no fault of your own). You can at least say you tried your best and that is all we can ever ask of ourselves. I hope you can eventually find happiness again wherever you may be. I know it is hard but however bad things may seem at times, with strength and the two of you pulling together, you will eventually crawl out of that black hole and start living again. I lived in Perth for 5 months (unlike yourselves, I hated it), we've been back almost a year now. We learnt a hell of a lot about ourselves in the process, and have no regrets, but when you reach the depth of despair, it is a real test on your sanity, but it can be overcome. When things seem beyond repair and all hope is lost, you will be surprised how things can turn around and how much stronger you can become afterwards. The bond between your partner and yourself can be strengthened as long as you stick together. I hope you get closer to finding your dream together. Hang on in there!

Jackie xx

I notice Perth, in particular gatting some bad press in this thread. Just to put things in perspective and not put people off who just might read this thread. I LOVE Perth and couldn't wish to live in a better place. There was a post on here having a go at the education system here. We have had our eldest son go through the system and he is now in his final year of an apprenticeship. I couldn't fault any of his schools. I'm sure he could have done better be he wasn't bothered about going to Uni so didn't particularly try too hard. More his fault than the school.

Our youngest Son has autism and the schools he has been to have put special measures in place and really tried to let him fit in at a "normal" school. He is doing OK.

As for mentions of the place being boring I just cannot fathom. There is heaps going on in and around Perth you just have to go out and look for it, just like you do when you live anywhere else. Entertainment is not going to come to you no matter where you live.

We don't get away on holiday too much as money is always a problem. This would have been a big problem in the UK as we used to get away to Portugal, Spain, Greece or somewhere for a bit of Sun, when we were single. The first year we couldn't do this was when we had our first house and first child. The weather was crap the whole summer in the UK and that's when we started thinking "there has to be something better than this". Well, for me Perth is it. We don't miss going on holiday as everything we used to leave the UK for is here. Sun, great beaches (with free parking I might add and spaces to park), friends, restaurants.

Oh well just my two peneth.

I notice Perth, in particular gatting some bad press in this thread. Just to put things in perspective and not put people off who just might read this thread. I LOVE Perth and couldn't wish to live in a better place. There was a post on here having a go at the education system here. We have had our eldest son go through the system and he is now in his final year of an apprenticeship. I couldn't fault any of his schools. I'm sure he could have done better be he wasn't bothered about going to Uni so didn't particularly try too hard. More his fault than the school.

Our youngest Son has autism and the schools he has been to have put special measures in place and really tried to let him fit in at a "normal" school. He is doing OK.

As for mentions of the place being boring I just cannot fathom. There is heaps going on in and around Perth you just have to go out and look for it, just like you do when you live anywhere else. Entertainment is not going to come to you no matter where you live.

We don't get away on holiday too much as money is always a problem. This would have been a big problem in the UK as we used to get away to Portugal, Spain, Greece or somewhere for a bit of Sun, when we were single. The first year we couldn't do this was when we had our first house and first child. The weather was crap the whole summer in the UK and that's when we started thinking "there has to be something better than this". Well, for me Perth is it. We don't miss going on holiday as everything we used to leave the UK for is here. Sun, great beaches (with free parking I might add and spaces to park), friends, restaurants.

Paul, it's great that Perth has worked out for you and your family and for some people it does turn turn out to be the dream that they wanted. I don't understand why you are looking at a thread moving back to the UK though-I don't go to the threads where people are moving here and tell them that the UK is really a great place to live....no offence meant at all just don't get it.:spinny:

Guest jackie Macdonald

Hey Paul1Perth,

I wasn't slating Perth in any way, far from it, I just said it wasn't for me. I know there are many who love it there and will never look back. I just happen to love England warts and all and if the whole journey has taught me one thing it's how wonderful my homeland is and how much I appreciate everything around me and how much I overlooked the past 40 years of my life that I spent living here! I was merely trying to reassure and help the poster as I know how it feels when you are going through such a tough time in your private life, especially when you are so far away from your loved ones and everything that you know to be familiar in your life.

I wish you every happiness in Perth, I really do, you are one of the lucky ones who hasn't had the misfortune of having to turn your life upside down yet again to get to the place you want to be. It ain't easy I can tell you.

Jackie xx

Just had invites to meet people - lady who owns the house I'm renting came over - had a convo over phone when said I wanted to go back and was 'friendless' and she came over with her lovely partner - and invited me to attend art gallery with her friends - god there are some lovely people in this world...also have been offered two days work at local branch of solicitors I worked for before and THEY ASKED FOR ME in particular - crap pay buts its a start I can't believe how many lovely nice people I've met - my darkest hour may now be passed....!!

Guest MSTO
Just had invites to meet people - lady who owns the house I'm renting came over - had a convo over phone when said I wanted to go back and was 'friendless' and she came over with her lovely partner - and invited me to attend art gallery with her friends - god there are some lovely people in this world...also have been offered two days work at local branch of solicitors I worked for before and THEY ASKED FOR ME in particular - crap pay buts its a start I can't believe how many lovely nice people I've met - my darkest hour may now be passed....!!

That is good to hear Fantasia:biggrin:

There are some real decent people in this world, I'm happy for you and hope it's the bit of luck you need

X

Good luck

Hope things continue to pick up for you

Thanks. Got sent this cd with My Kitc- hen Rules missed a lot of them - but think Mossy is the biz' - friend got in finals for WA.

:embarrassed:Methinks I'm an Aussie - lovely over here but miss Oz so much regardless its lovely here but I miss Oz so much.. its just so different,,, beware future migrants you might get hooked too,,,

Archived