Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest Rob c
Maybe you could help some of the dough eyed with informed opinions based on your vast knowledge of the lucky country.

Not saying your not welcome on the Poms Going Home thread in the Moving back to the UK forum but i feel your talents are wasted here:wink:

So are your Aldo, think you should start Poms in Spain, u and the rest of the coffin dodgers can cry into your sangria!!:biglaugh:

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rob c
The problem is Rob is that the whingers have been there and are living there, maybe some are a bit OTT but a lot of their points are valid, I don't like listening them running down Australia and in all honesty I don't think they have put enough effort into fitting in, but in the same breath who am I to judge how much effort and how valid their points are!? If they are coming onto a thread of like minded people and leaving other threads alone what harm are they doing? I think both camps should have their own threads without others coming on and causing arguements, threads like this are best to stay away from if you like Australia, the less you read the less you get upset.

As for Aldo (hate to say it) At least his been to Australia tried it out, not liked it and moved on I'm sure like me even though he is not in his homeland it doesn't stop him beating the drum of how good it is, when I get old and look back I'd like to say that I've lived all over the world but found Australia always better, this is something Aldo will get to say (but England instead of Austrlia LOL).

You tell me boy!!:laugh:, best comment all day

Guest Rob c
Hi everyone

i have deleted my posts, sorry Rob, i hope you don't call me a Bell-enda Carlisle as well, but maybe just maybe these folks are suffering and they are all stressed out and depressed and i don't want to rub their noses in it. I have a great life, a cold life - yes, but never the less a great life. I work 3 days a week, i say work, i haven't done a days work for over 21 years, i have a good wage, with a final salary pension at 60, i have a lovely newish large 4 bedroomed detached house and have no mortgage and i have a beautiful wife and 2 great kids and my wife earns more money than me. we have just got our 175 csl PR visas and are validating them in just over 2 weeks, with a trip to Brisbane in a fabulous apartment overlooking the beach at surfers paradise for a month, so all in all lifes fantastic for me and i don't want to dwell on the negative side of life, or the negative miserable threads here on PIO. I hope you forgive me Rob, i still want to be a mate and an ally,

cheers jim:wink:

No probs mate :cool: have a good one

So are your Aldo, think you should start Poms in Spain, u and the rest of the coffin dodgers can cry into your sangria!!:biglaugh:

lol....yeah that would be a right laugh,,,, "Poms in Spain" like it!!!!:laugh::cool:

Guest Rob c

now lads, it has been an interesting debate, but there are a few pints in the pub with my name on them, so im outta here, later dudes!!!

now lads, it has been an interesting debate, but there are a few pints in the pub with my name on them, so im outta here, later dudes!!!

l83r dude:cool:

A few beers will do you good Robbo, calm down and relax don't let every one wind you up.

And don't start taking it out on somone down the pub either.

Hope you enjoy your drink.

is he gone yet?

doughnut and bell-end I can take but coffin dodger!!!!:elvis: where's that report button:mad:

Guest guest37336
is he gone yet?

doughnut and bell-end I can take but coffin dodger!!!!: where's that report button:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

is he gone yet?

doughnut and bell-end I can take but coffin dodger!!!!:elvis: where's that report button:mad:

I think hes gone

Shall we talk about him.

The report button is on your left, I reported you yesterday.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I think hes gone

Shall we talk about him.

The report button is on your left, I reported you yesterday.

I like him he's got spunk, should interest you and your toilet friends Aldo.

jim:chatterbox:

I like him he's got spunk, should interest you and your toilet friends Aldo.

jim:chatterbox:

What else do you get up to with all that time on your hands? what with all them bored Prison mates!

but

I don't want to know what you and Robbo get up to. There are other web sites and groups for that sort of thing.

:Randy-git:

But hey lets keep it clean

Guest chris955

I must admit I can't see the point in someone who hasn't even lived permanently in the country coming into a section for Brits returning home and stirring up trouble ? It doesn't make sense to me, why even look in this section ?

I must admit I can't see the point in someone who hasn't even lived permanently in the country coming into a section for Brits returning home and stirring up trouble ? It doesn't make sense to me, why even look in this section ?

Spot on.

Guest Rob c
Maybe he just likes a bit of a cyber rumble - better than doing it in't pub.

Cyber rumble, or pub, anyday!! Hard as nails, :wink:

Guest Rob c
Aldo's been hear from the beginning. Why should he not be be hear? and why do you think he's wasting he's time?

Stop letting him wind you up and concentrate on your new life down under.

Aldos a "has been", he lives in spain, yet harps on about england, best thing he can do is get a life, he is old skool and his days are numbered, he live in the 40s , harping on about winston churchill, who gives a toss!!

Time these old dogs moved on to the old folks home.:tongue:

Guest Rob c
The problem is Rob is that the whingers have been there and are living there, maybe some are a bit OTT but a lot of their points are valid, I don't like listening them running down Australia and in all honesty I don't think they have put enough effort into fitting in, but in the same breath who am I to judge how much effort and how valid their points are!? If they are coming onto a thread of like minded people and leaving other threads alone what harm are they doing? I think both camps should have their own threads without others coming on and causing arguements, threads like this are best to stay away from if you like Australia, the less you read the less you get upset.

As for Aldo (hate to say it) At least his been to Australia tried it out, not liked it and moved on I'm sure like me even though he is not in his homeland it doesn't stop him beating the drum of how good it is, when I get old and look back I'd like to say that I've lived all over the world but found Australia always better, this is something Aldo will get to say (but England instead of Austrlia LOL).

Yea, but why is he living in Spain so?, problem is he never moved on, he is still bitter!!

Guest proud2beaussie

As has been said before Aldo could start Poms In Spain but he should call it Poms In Sunny Spain,then he could spend his time on the p.i.s.s.!

Seriously folks let's all calm down shall we,there is no need for personal comments on this thread,please remember that people are entitled to their views and to express them without being the

victim of name calling,ok some people love Australia and don't really want to live anywhere else,that's great but there are also people like Aldo who tried it and didn't like it,he is as entitled to express his viewpoint on PIO as I am and even though I will always disagree with him about Australia (well most things about Australia anyway) I can't stand by and let him be ridiculed with no justification.

Please keep this thread polite,it's a very long running thread and it will ,indeed must, continue to run in a polite,adult way,if you don't like the views expressed here then that's fine and you can disagree with them but please respect the rights of others to post them.

Guest John Locke

It`s like a kid watching the scary parts of a movie through his fingers when he`s knows he really shoudn`t...

What some people need to understand is that sometimes wanting to go home can be a very personal feeling, one that not even your partner can understand and forums like this, MBTTUK, can be a Godsend (in that you will find others you can relate to, those who share your opinions and feel the same way) in exactly the same way that the migration forum is to those who need help and advice regarding visa etc...there`s nothing wrong with having opinions on Australia, there`s nothing wrong with expressing something about the country you may not like......even I roll my eyes if someone moans about snakes and spiders or registers to simply state how much they hate Australia without any back up, but for the most part much of what I read for people`s reasons are not that offensive ( I don`t relate to all of them, but I can at least see where they`re coming from)...Also, when people tend to post in this forum, in the past myself included, it`s not usually addressed to those who are awaiting their visa or about to embark on their journey, or even those happy and content to call Oz home, it`s usually aimed at those in a similar situation!! Because Every forum of this site is helpful to someone insome way...

I`ve always tried to keep my own comments fair because I can see both sides...I understand what a great place Australia can be once you settle and adapt but it seems no matter how subtle the comments you will always be classed as a whinger.....btw, it`s bloody freezing here in the U.K. and the government has put the country in a helluva state and the I want and want it now culture is as strong as ever and I drive around for ages looking for a car space...I could go on (but strangley it`s not considerd whinging!).....if I ever posted something untoward and someone who lives in Australia said hang on John i don`t agree with that and here`s why then that`s fair enough, but to be taken to task on your comments by someone who has yet to experience life in Oz, well, i just don`t see it....I`ve taken a good look at everything I achieved in Oz, not least the materialistic.....the house, the pool, and watched my children in the sun in the backyard in the only life they`ve known and seriously considered just taking myself out of the equation because I was so messed up with what was right and what was wrong....for them, me, us as a family... I seriously went to some dark places during that period of my life and wished I`d never heard of the word migration....I`ve been there and I know how a lot of these people feel and it does rattle my cage a bit when I read oh you`re just a bunch of whingers, and how they`re making a terrible mistake returning (and can I just add here that for many people it`s not a case of I`m going back to England because it`s so great, it`s simply a case of Australia is just not doing it for me and here`s why whether you agree or not, so I`m going home)......I can understand when certain nerves get touched but I do/did view this forum MBTTUK as a bit of a santuary where I felt comfortable to comment.....I mean, God forbid I would ever post my thoughts in the Migration forum, because that would just be wrong, wouldn`t it? And I myself would expect, and rightly so to be honest, to get `ganged up on' by those who would strongly disagree with what I was saying.

I didn`t have access to a site like this when i made the move, if I had then I can imagine being full of anticipation and excitment (because I was and remember it well) and reading some of these post and probably thinking what are these people whinging about? And assuming I would never be in their postion or agree with the things they were saying, but the irony is...almost a decade later this forum (MBTTUK) became a refuge...because that`s life,sometimes things change and you find yourself in a place (mentally) you never thought you would be....I think it is an important part of the site for a lot of people, I think sometimes people`s thoughts, feelings, decisions, and the (often emotional) reasons that prompt some of the more negative rants (or whingeing if you prefer) should be given a bit more thought before being commented upon...and, after all, as this particular thread is entitled Poms Going Home....invariably there are going to be reasons given.......from Oz was fantastic, but just wasn`t for us...to I found I just couldn`t connect and relate...to the more OTT posts, but all the reasons are as valid and personal to those people as the reasons for those who are moving to Australia...in relation to all that, the teachers at my sons school have all said to him, what did you came back here for, with a chuckle and a roll of the eyes...all except his english teacher, why? because she lived and taught in Oz for a number of years...she`s been there and done it and thoroughly enjoyed it...but because of those two words been and done can understand the many reasons there can be for returning and so has no need to comment.

btw, had a wicked weekend, sister had the kids and we booked a hotel overlooking Picadilly, first time without the kids for a looong time....restuarants, movie, bit of the other, coffee on the south bank this morning (wanted to go on The Eye but the line was rediculously long)...oh, and my wife got a job offer last week!!!

Guest Guest37175
It`s like a kid watching the scary parts of a movie through his fingers when he`s knows he really shoudn`t...

What some people need to understand is that sometimes wanting to go home can be a very personal feeling, one that not even your partner can understand and forums like this, MBTTUK, can be a Godsend (in that you will find others you can relate to, those who share your opinions and feel the same way) in exactly the same way that the migration forum is to those who need help and advice regarding visa etc...there`s nothing wrong with having opinions on Australia, there`s nothing wrong with expressing something about the country you may not like......even I roll my eyes if someone moans about snakes and spiders or registers to simply state how much they hate Australia without any back up, but for the most part much of what I read for people`s reasons are not that offensive ( I don`t relate to all of them, but I can at least see where they`re coming from)...Also, when people tend to post in this forum, in the past myself included, it`s not usually addressed to those who are awaiting their visa or about to embark on their journey, or even those happy and content to call Oz home, it`s usually aimed at those in a similar situation!! Because Every forum of this site is helpful to someone insome way...

I`ve always tried to keep my own comments fair because I can see both sides...I understand what a great place Australia can be once you settle and adapt but it seems no matter how subtle the comments you will always be classed as a whinger.....btw, it`s bloody freezing here in the U.K. and the government has put the country in a helluva state and the I want and want it now culture is as strong as ever and I drive around for ages looking for a car space...I could go on (but strangley it`s not considerd whinging!).....if I ever posted something untoward and someone who lives in Australia said hang on John i don`t agree with that and here`s why then that`s fair enough, but to be taken to task on your comments by someone who has yet to experience life in Oz, well, i just don`t see it....I`ve taken a good look at everything I achieved in Oz, not least the materialistic.....the house, the pool, and watched my children in the sun in the backyard in the only life they`ve known and seriously considered just taking myself out of the equation because I was so messed up with what was right and what was wrong....for them, me, us as a family... I seriously went to some dark places during that period of my life and wished I`d never heard of the word migration....I`ve been there and I know how a lot of these people feel and it does rattle my cage a bit when I read oh you`re just a bunch of whingers, and how they`re making a terrible mistake returning (and can I just add here that for many people it`s not a case of I`m going back to England because it`s so great, it`s simply a case of Australia is just not doing it for me and here`s why whether you agree or not, so I`m going home)......I can understand when certain nerves get touched but I do/did view this forum MBTTUK as a bit of a santuary where I felt comfortable to comment.....I mean, God forbid I would ever post my thoughts in the Migration forum, because that would just be wrong, wouldn`t it? And I myself would expect, and rightly so to be honest, to get `ganged up on' by those who would strongly disagree with what I was saying.

I didn`t have access to a site like this when i made the move, if I had then I can imagine being full of anticipation and excitment (because I was and remember it well) and reading some of these post and probably thinking what are these people whinging about? And assuming I would never be in their postion or agree with the things they were saying, but the irony is...almost a decade later this forum (MBTTUK) became a refuge...because that`s life,sometimes things change and you find yourself in a place (mentally) you never thought you would be....I think it is an important part of the site for a lot of people, I think sometimes people`s thoughts, feelings, decisions, and the (often emotional) reasons that prompt some of the more negative rants (or whingeing if you prefer) should be given a bit more thought before being commented upon...and, after all, as this particular thread is entitled Poms Going Home....invariably there are going to be reasons given.......from Oz was fantastic, but just wasn`t for us...to I found I just couldn`t connect and relate...to the more OTT posts, but all the reasons are as valid and personal to those people as the reasons for those who are moving to Australia...in relation to all that, the teachers at my sons school have all said to him, what did you came back here for, with a chuckle and a roll of the eyes...all except his english teacher, why? because she lived and taught in Oz for a number of years...she`s been there and done it and thoroughly enjoyed it...but because of those two words been and done can understand the many reasons there can be for returning and so has no need to comment.

btw, had a wicked weekend, sister had the kids and we booked a hotel overlooking Picadilly, first time without the kids for a looong time....restuarants, movie, bit of the other, coffee on the south bank this morning (wanted to go on The Eye but the line was rediculously long)...oh, and my wife got a job offer last week!!!

Thanks John, as someone in the early stages of planning the return home your post really strikes a chord. I've felt, and continue to feel, hugely conflicted and anxious about what we're about to do. On the one hand I know that returning to the UK is the only way that I can really feel whole again and be myself once more, but I really worry about how much this may cost my partner and our daughter. I'm terrified of things going wrong when we get back to the UK, whether it's my partner not re-adjusting to life there or my daughter not getting into a pre-school as good as the one she has here or us ending up living in a dodgy area. They're the things that keep you awake at night.

At times I've thought I should just leave and head back to the UK alone so as not to deprive them of the life they have here, and then you think "No, I'm needed a lot more than sunshine, beaches or a certain lifestyle, snap out of it"

Like yourself I do see this forum as a bit of a sanctuary, a place to offload some of my anxiety and to find reassurance that I'm not the only one chewing their fingernails at two in the morning over what the right thing to do is.

I'd certainly never try and put someone off making the move to Australia. If you've got the itch then you may as well scratch it rather than living with all of those "what-Ifs." It's a fine country and can offer a terrific life but it's never going to work for everybody. Nowhere could make that boast.

I've only recently joined P.I.O. but was a regular reader for over a year before that. It's been revealing recently to read posts from some members from late 2008 / early 2009 who were fired up with enthusiasm for Australia but who are now talking about returning home. Equally, I frequently read posts from members who were struggling over here but a year or so later things are falling into place for them. I think it just shows just how variable and individual our experiences are of Australia and it's only when you've walked a mile in those shoes that you can truly appreciate how complex the whole experience can be.

Archived