Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest guest12791
When we left in February, the shipping company's repesentative told us that they were returning 9 out of 10 of every European that they had originally shipped out, and had been for about 18 months. Most of these were very reluctant returnees who had jobs fall through and then a short timeline for return due to visa restrictions. I was shocked by this statistic and although I cannot back it up with factual evidence I must say that it came from a reputable shipping company who could not keep up with the demand for return journeys. She said that during this time she had never seen so many grown men cry.

Home and loving it.

valleylass

When we returned from brisbane 07 we were told exactly the same by manager of the shipping firm, she said that she felt so sorry for the people who had gone to australia on false pretences and jobs falling through. When the lads turned up in wakefield with our goods they said all their work is through people returning from oz, he said most move to different areas because they are embaressed to say they failled, others head straight home back to family. Its so sad, all the heartache

Annemarie

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

australia is not for stuck up snob types who rely on mummy and daddy or family....if you come with the right attitude and don't whinge then its a great place and an excellent place to bring up kids. Australia has huge growth potential and the future looks bright here. The same cannot be said for britain, too many people on that small island for a start.

I love it here but i can see why it is not for some, my friends and some family members would be back home after 3 months if they immigrated as they are too up their own backside and used to their ar*e being wiped for them. I love it here as i know no one and there is no competing with no one or keeping up with the jones, i love the fact i can buy goods from the quokka and chairty shops with out friends taking the p.ss. I didn't think it but i like the fact im away from certain types of people i knew back home, things are more easy going here.

And by the way i read on here somewhere that you need $100k plus to consider immigrating, what aload of bull..........our house fell through one week before coming here and now we are renting it out, anyway we landed down with $18k and 7 months in i have $22k in my bank account after buying 2 vehicles, renting a huge house, taking my kids out every weekend, starting my own business etc.

we did it by going to garage sales, hail damage car auctions, buying second hand from charity shops and quokka........we even got alot of free stuff.

7 months in and i feel proud of what ive accieved consider i have 3 kids to look after and how scary things were in those first few months. I have just got health insurance the other day for my whole family, kept my house in uk and renting it out, justy put my kids names down for a top private school and there is **** loads of work and oppotunities here.

I love it here but i can see why others don't, but please if your easy going person then go for it and don't for one minute feel you need $100k to do it because you don't. If your willing to work hard anything is possible here.

Guest guest12791
australia is not for stuck up snob types who rely on mummy and daddy or family....if you come with the right attitude and don't whinge then its a great place and an excellent place to bring up kids. Australia has huge growth potential and the future looks bright here. The same cannot be said for britain, too many people on that small island for a start.

I love it here but i can see why it is not for some, my friends and some family members would be back home after 3 months if they immigrated as they are too up their own backside and used to their ar*e being wiped for them. I love it here as i know no one and there is no competing with no one or keeping up with the jones, i love the fact i can buy goods from the quokka and chairty shops with out friends taking the p.ss. I didn't think it but i like the fact im away from certain types of people i knew back home, things are more easy going here.

And by the way i read on here somewhere that you need $100k plus to consider immigrating, what aload of bull..........our house fell through one week before coming here and now we are renting it out, anyway we landed down with $18k and 7 months in i have $22k in my bank account after buying 2 vehicles, renting a huge house, taking my kids out every weekend, starting my own business etc.

we did it by going to garage sales, hail damage car auctions, buying second hand from charity shops and quokka........we even got alot of free stuff.

7 months in and i feel proud of what ive accieved consider i have 3 kids to look after and how scary things were in those first few months. I have just got health insurance the other day for my whole family, kept my house in uk and renting it out, justy put my kids names down for a top private school and there is **** loads of work and oppotunities here.

I love it here but i can see why others don't, but please if your easy going person then go for it and don't for one minute feel you need $100k to do it because you don't. If your willing to work hard anything is possible here.

Hi stacey thanks for that i was getting depressed again, we returned cos my dad was dying but heading back january with very little money but positive that we want to give it another go, tar for cheering me up xx annemarie

well said!

Guest chloew

e.

Good on you as they say here!

However, there are certain parts of Melbourne and Sydney where people are too up their own backsides as well......people have often looked shocked when I say I get all my babies stuff from the charity shops but then I would do that in the UK as well.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Stacy and great post.

Have you noticed a mass exodus of poms returning back to the uk, apparrently 9 out of 10 are returning:wacko:

Good on you as they say here!

However, there are certain parts of Melbourne and Sydney where people are too up their own backsides as well......people have often looked shocked when I say I get all my babies stuff from the charity shops but then I would do that in the UK as well.

yes true i shouldn't generalise as people are people no matter where you live, but i can only go by the gold coast and perth areas and from what ive seen of them.

im glad people are going back as most are the types im trying to get away from. Also it leaves the easy going ones here to prosper.

As for no work what about working in the mines and getting your certificates?, i was offered a job paying $3500 a week if i wanted it and woulod not hesitate to do it if i have to. But right now im ok but for whose who say there is no work i cannot understand it or perhaps your not willing to put yourself out to work away from home if you had too.

Employment figures were out the other day and another 10k jobs have been created alone this month in wa.

I must admit i went through a bad phase were about 3 months in work started to dry up a little but it soon came good once i put myself out and called every dam company in the yellow pages and sent my cv off to them.

Patience is needed here as things don't come right away, also i would say you need a never say die attitude and not to give up ive found.

We too have thought a some stage ' o what have we done' and everyone will but we are past this now and can see the light so to speak.

I just feel sorry for david cameron as he has a hell of a job ahead of him.

just my two cents, please don't be offended.

Guest guest30038
Hi Stacy and great post.

Have you noticed a mass exodus of poms returning back to the uk, apparrently 9 out of 10 are returning:wacko:

If earleswood began posting again it'd be 9.5 :biglaugh:

I've helped 11 families out in the last 2 yrs and only 1 has returned..............her hubby's still here.

Stacybird.............I like you :yes:

kev

Guest Guest37175
When we left in February, the shipping company's repesentative told us that they were returning 9 out of 10 of every European that they had originally shipped out, and had been for about 18 months. Most of these were very reluctant returnees who had jobs fall through and then a short timeline for return due to visa restrictions. I was shocked by this statistic and although I cannot back it up with factual evidence I must say that it came from a reputable shipping company who could not keep up with the demand for return journeys. She said that during this time she had never seen so many grown men cry.

Home and loving it.

For those who deliberately chose to misconstrue Valleylass's post;

1. 9 out of 10 Europeans, not 9 out of 10 Brits.

2. Immigrants who were reluctant to leave, not 'whingers' or 'losers.'

3. Who were planning to return to Oz as soon as they could.

4. People who were devastated to have to leave.

First can i say thanks to all the waussie battlers that have triumphed over adversity and are happy living in Australia:notworthy: here's a big hand

But........ this thread is about those who havn't found australia to be the utopia that you lot seem to think it is and hopefully get some assurance in knowing that thay are not alone. Its hard enough coming to terms with the fact that you have wasted a whole lot of time effort and money to find out you've made a mistake (yes a mistake:shocked:) without smug, self righteous person telling you you'rE a failure because you didn't want to go to work in the mines staying away from family for weeks on end and working all hours, sleeping in portacabins :eek:

Guest famousfive

I'm not a Pom or heading to the UK but I am leaving Oz and heading home.I don't hate it but I honestly don't see what all the fuss about the lifestyle is all about.A lot of aussies I know have a beach and bbq life because they can not afford different.It's beautiful for sure but so are many other places,including home.

First can i say thanks to all the waussie battlers that have triumphed over adversity and are happy living in Australia:notworthy: here's a big hand

But........ this thread is about those who havn't found australia to be the utopia that you lot seem to think it is and hopefully get some assurance in knowing that thay are not alone. Its hard enough coming to terms with the fact that you have wasted a whole lot of time effort and money to find out you've made a mistake (yes a mistake:shocked:)

Agree :wubclub:

Guest valleylass

Read the post properly mate. I am neither wacko nor a whinger and I am quoting directly from a shipping agent who had nothing to benefit from telling us this as we were going home anyway. In fact I chose not to share this at the time because I anticipated this type of reaction. Sometimes returning from Oz feels like a dark secret, one you are not allowed to share just in case people think you are weird. This thread is set up to allow allow people to off load a little - surely this has to be beneficial?

On a personal note Jim, as always I wish you well in your journey to Oz.

Life is indeed good.

valleylass

Was a decent honest post, its what those going to oz want to hear, not just the fluffy bits, and some of those not yet living in oz or experienced living in oz have no idea on the reality and dont want to see it, and we just have to realise they have a dream

I hope pio doesnt go the way of pomsinperth where peeps just continued personable arguments to each other and losing the reason for the site. pip is disappering down the dunny now and has lost its way.

pio is a godsend to those moving or hoping to move to oz, long may it continue, good and bad stories alike.

Guest Guest37175
Read the post properly mate. I am neither wacko nor a whinger and I am quoting directly from a shipping agent who had nothing to benefit from telling us this as we were going home anyway. In fact I chose not to share this at the time because I anticipated this type of reaction. Sometimes returning from Oz feels like a dark secret, one you are not allowed to share just in case people think you are weird. This thread is set up to allow allow people to off load a little - surely this has to be beneficial?

Life is indeed good.

valleylass

Thanks for posting this Valleylass. As you say, those of us who have decided that Australia is not for us are often derided. I know that folk who are happy here tire of hearing us have a moan, but as Aldo said previously, for some it does turn out to be an expensive mistake. It's helpful to know that we're not 'mad' or 'losers,' or 'up ourselves,' it just wasn't meant to be.

If you are happy here then good on ya, but there's always going to be a proportion for whom Oz doesn't work no matter how hard they try. What's more, the reasons for leaving Oz are varied and some people encounter problems they never anticipated and just couldn't overcome.

People reading this thread back in the UK may think "Oh that'll never happen to me, Oz is gonna be great for us," but you just don't know until you're here. The one thing that they should all take heart from is that those of us who couldn't settle here are in a minority, so the odds are in their favour.

Guest proud2beaussie

So ONE shipping company representative says that they were returning "9 out of 10" ,so what? does it somehow indicate that Australia is seeing a mass exodus of people? I doubt it because the figures from the immigration department tell us that last year 21545 people arrived from the UK to settle here and 6160 people who gave their birthplace as the UK departed Australia ,and those figures are pretty well unchanged over the last 5 years,in that time there has generally been an average of about 15,000 people moving from the UK.

There are always going to be people returning to their homelands after realsing that Australia isn't for tthem, and good on them,they should be living where they are happiest,and if that place is the UK,or Europe,or Calathumpia doesn't really matter in the slightest,they should go where they are happy,but regardless of anedocatal evidence like has been posted there are still a large number of people who move to Australia and stay,there may well be some people here like Quoll who is still here but doesn't want to be,but there are also many people who move here,settle quickly and have a great life.

Many come here,some go back,some stay,in my opinion those that do go back have no need to feel like they have failed but I don't think that Australia has any need to worry,there are still plenty of people living happy lives here,and there are plenty who want to have a go.

Good Luck to those returning,thanks for coming.

Cheers

Nigel

Guest chris955

Some it would seem are happier to read between the lines and out words in your mouth, I read exactly what you wrote and took it as something you were told from a particular source, nothing more. Why some need to rush to the countries defence I really don't know ?

Life is indeed good.

valleylass

Guest famousfive

It does my head in at times,no wonder some aussies sound smug when talking about the country.They don't even have to defend or make excuses for the unsavoury parts any more as all the expats seem happy to do it for them.

Yes I know,unpopular opinion,but it is still my opinion.

Guest valleylass
So ONE shipping company representative says that they were returning "9 out of 10" ,so what? does it somehow indicate that Australia is seeing a mass exodus of people?

I completely agree and the info that I wrote on here MBTTUK was not to suggest this. Thanks for the figures on the UK migrants as it is highly relevant to POI, as I'm sure you realise the 9 out of 10 figure was in relation to Europe and as you quite rightly point out one agent's empirical evidence.

Additionally thanks for your considerate thoughts Nigel...

There are always going to be people returning to their homelands after realsing that Australia isn't for tthem, and good on them,they should be living where they are happiest,and if that place is the UK,or Europe,or Calathumpia doesn't really matter in the slightest,they should go where they are happy,

Many come here,some go back,some stay,in my opinion those that do go back have no need to feel like they have failed but I don't think that Australia has any need to worry,there are still plenty of people living happy lives here,and there are plenty who want to have a go.

Do I regret going to Oz, never it was a difficult but worthwhile experience.

valleylass

so..removal man says they take 9/10 back to wherever, out come those who slap this down with stats etc and refuse to believe it, however, in th uk news when it says mass exodus abroad out come the same people with 'i told you so' uk going to the dogs etc etc'

quite funny to stand back and read :laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
so..removal man says they take 9/10 back to wherever, out come those who slap this down with stats etc and refuse to believe it, however, in th uk news when it says mass exodus abroad out come the same people with 'i told you so' uk going to the dogs etc etc'

quite funny to stand back and read :laugh:

Yeah, who is going to believe the news and statisticians when a removal man says its true.:biglaugh:

This isn't a pop at valleylass but the facts are different its more like 3 out of 10, time to move on, bye AGAIN, or i might be back this last post split me sides.:laugh:

The HOFF wants fun in the sun.

Yeah, who is going to believe the news and statisticians when a removal man says its true.:biglaugh:

This isn't a pop at valleylass but the facts are different its more like 3 out of 10, time to move on, bye AGAIN, or i might be back this last post split me sides.:laugh:

The HOFF wants fun in the sun.

and who believes everything they read in the papers, i would believe a removal man more if he says he actually moving these people, and we all know the press never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
are you 2 still here whinging about whingers??

go on... sling it!!

Door.jpg

its the door...

Who you talking to Aldo - can't be me i haven't mentioned the W word in case it offends anyone of a fragile nature, yer plank.:laugh:

12.jpg

Who you talking to Aldo - can't be me i haven't mentioned the W word in case it offends anyone of a fragile nature, yer plank.:laugh:

12.jpg

admit it, you cant stay away can you? that's OK, i've reserved you a seat at the annual "I went to australia and didn't like it" dinner.

Its gonna be packed out at this rate.

Any Ideas for venues (must be big):wink:

Archived