Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest khodamba

Arrived on 1/08/2010, I am going back to Southampton on 25/06/2011.

A part of flood in Brisbane, I had good time, but I am going home.

Best of the luck to whom to stay or going home

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest36187

Can I ask why you are going back to UK????

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Sorry it didn't work out for you Ayoub.

With two years work trying to get a visa and only staying 8 months, what went wrong mate?

Guest khodamba

Hi Tony,

Yes, in fact, the two years for the visa was part of the prolem. I enjoyed living here both this time and between 1991-1996. However, there is a lot changes to Australai, even in population demogaphics. Thes changes, disagreement with my employer, family back home and above all missing Gary for the match of the day are pushed me to go back.

cheers

Ayoub

Guest siamsusie
Hi Tony,

Yes, in fact, the two years for the visa was part of the prolem. I enjoyed living here both this time and between 1991-1996. However, there is a lot changes to Australai, even in population demogaphics. Thes changes, disagreement with my employer, family back home and above all missing Gary for the match of the day are pushed me to go back.

cheers

Ayoub

Have a safe trip back:hug: I hope you have had some pleasant memories of Australia.

Susie x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chair6106

Seeing as this is one of the most popular forums on this site, it appears there are a lot of people returning back to the UK. Can I ask people there reasons for leaving??? I have been here for 5 years and I am considering returning home. I love Australia but have never really formed any friendships over here, perhaps cultural differences? I don't know, I came I saw, I really haven't conquered, I tried to make friends but it's just not happening for me. I still feel like the foreigner I was the day I came. all I know is I had a few friends england and here I really have none what so ever. No cry me a river here, just how it's been for me.:cool:

Guest Sancha2

Can I ask people there reasons for leaving??? I have been here for 5 years and I am considering returning home. I love Australia but have never really formed any friendships over here, perhaps cultural differences?

My husband and i have been here for 11years and over that time we have loved and hated it here. My husband just seems to work and has never made any friends like he had in the UK, Same with me also really. Life just feels very lonely for us most of the time. Even are kids at school don't have any real friends like we did at there ages. Someone asked me how i can take them from there friends and school here to go to the UK and i said easy because they don't have any real friends here. My kids are excited to be going to the UK where there have more of a relationship with our friends and family on Skype they do with the people next door.

My sister came to Oz a few years ago and see said to me "yes its beautiful here but wheres the fun in going to the beach and doing everything here when you have know one to share it all with" its took be about 5 years to see that what she said was very true.

Also we are going home to spend time with our family who we have missed very much over the years. It cost so much for 5 of us to go back that we really haven't done it enough.

A few more reason, i miss walking in the countryside picking wild flowers (i know sounds sad but i really can't wait to do it) Cold Xmas and the fantastic British humour.

All the best

Just starting to think about going back to UK after 30 years!

Dont fall over i have been here 40 years ! Married to an Auzzie BUT he is of British background - a statement in its self :jiggy:There is SO much in these threads i agree with. I have NO friends ! Oh yes when we are useful to them they are great friends, when we have no more to offer well they are then SO busy. I so desperately want to "go home" but we cant. To old now, could never get work and our families in the UK are now past on. Other complication is our daughter is recently divorced and with the "highly intelligent" family law act here in Auz she cant even cross a state boarder to visit us with out the approval of the ex (because she has a small child) which of course he wont give so no hope of her ever moving with us to the UK or even coming to visit us, and no way we would leave her here on her own.

I miss the "green" rolling hills, the wild life, all the little villages. People who know how to laugh at themselves rather than taking offence. Work was the same, frowned on for getting in and getting things done. Sick of having to drive miles just to go shopping. Sick of the rudeness and lack of manners. I miss Snowy Christmas, and always so much to do and places to go.. The heritage ! Buildings going back to the 16th century and beyond.

Sorry this is not a rant on Auz there of course have been good things, hay i found a wonderful husband, and have a wonderful daughter and grand daughter but i just have this increasing sadness and now i no longer work i am just so lonley. Please dont tell me to join a club or something i tried that but i just dont fit in.

My wonderful husband has no idea how i feel, i wont tell him as he would feel awful that he cant do anything to help us go home to the UK.

for those who want to go home and can I say go for it ! For those thinking of coming, sure come take a look it may be for you, but if you start to have doubts go back while you are young enough dont make the mistake i did and leave it till you are no longer able to go home.:sad:

arrived melbourne 17th oct 2010

going back to uk 03/11

Lucky You ! Wish i had made that desision many years ago before it was to hard for us to go back. I have found the Bristish "quite reserve " is seen here as being aloof and stuck up. :frown:

arrived melbourne 17th oct 2010

going back to uk 03/11

Good Luck to you with your decisions, may on e ask what went wrong?

Arrived in Melbourne 07/12/07 - departing 06/07/11 with fond memories :yes:

Jeepers, and you live in Gippsland, How envious everyone must be of your surroundings.

I would honestly swap places with you tomorrow.

Good luck with your move though.

Tony are you aware of the bush fire risk in Gippsland ?

Beautiful place yes but also a very scary place come summer. We lived in Woodend, stunning nothing less but we had fires coming from 2 directions in Feb 2009 and got evacuated, then almost got burnt out again in 2010, we moved just after that, just to scary. We lived there as it was so much like England - until we learnt about the Fires.

Tony are you aware of the bush fire risk in Gippsland ?

Beautiful place yes but also a very scary place come summer. We lived in Woodend, stunning nothing less but we had fires coming from 2 directions in Feb 2009 and got evacuated, then almost got burnt out again in 2010, we moved just after that, just to scary. We lived there as it was so much like England - until we learnt about the Fires.

Ok. Thanks for that. Wooden D eh. HAve not been there.

Oh, have you been to Merimbula?

Hi Tony

No not been to Mirimbula think it is in NSW ?

Woodend is North of Melbourne in the Macedon Ranges actualy, it can snow there in the winter about 70km from melbourne but good direct train only 55mins. Gippsland is SE of Melbourne very wet , Dairy Cattle country but lots of Bush and very very high fire risk. We almost bought in Gippsland but went North due to the fire risk in Gippsland, did not know about the Fire risk in Macedons. Several towns got burnt out down in Gippsland in the 2009 fires. Something like 96000 hecters went up in flames.

Issue now are the conservations laws, you cant collect wood that has fallen or clear trees so the under growth grows over winter then drys out in summer and up she goes at the first spark. Our town begged for a siren to be put on the top of the local SES station but no they decided to send out warnings by mobile phone - only problem is where many of us lived there was no mobile phone reception ! and the old folk dont have mobile phones. SO a case of look for smoke and run like the wind, and pray it does not happen in the middle of the night.

Hi Tina, I know Melbourne well, especially Berwick and Emerald. Oh and especially Fountain Gate :biggrin:

Merimbula is just over the border in NSW, May I suggest that before you leave Oz, heck before you finally commit to leave, go take a look at Merimbula. Stay the weekend and come back and tell me you dont want to mve there :wink:

Hi Tony yep Ok i know where you mean now just up from Eden, that whole coast is stunning, we even thought of moving to Mollymook but again forest fires are the problem, we had to make a major detour last year to get back to Melbourne as the Pacific hwy was closed at Cann River due to major fires. Guess when you have been as close as we have in the past 2 years to bush fires that becomes number one priority to avoid followed closely to floods. With climate change you also dont want to be to close to the coast which pushes you back closer to the forest. Very tricky.

Still doubt we will ever get back to the UK to many issues complications here but oh I wish i wish i could get home.

Still doubt we will ever get back to the UK to many issues complications here but oh I wish i wish i could get home.

Oh I wish I could swap me and mine for you and yours.

i doubt it if you knew what we are going through with family and the family law act over here !

Where are you in the UK ? Why are you not here if you want to be so bad ?

That storys too long for here, I am in the Bristol/Bath area.

Archived