Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi everyone

it took me over an hour but................................. i checked every post on this thread - Poms going home to UK (register) ..............and i only counted 23 people on PIO who were coming back to the UK.

There are i think over 30,000 people on PIO so.................... to my calculations, only 0.00000001% are thinking about coming back to the uk, which is a very surprising statistic don't you think.

It shows to me that nearly everyone on PIO either are looking forward to emigrating to the best country in the world - Australia, or they are there already, lucky bleeders and most have stopped posting because they are out and about living the fabulous outdoor lifestyle. I dream a dream.

Hi everyone

it took me over an hour but................................. i checked every post on this thread - Poms going home to UK (register) ..............and i only counted 23 people on PIO who were coming back to the UK.

There are i think over 30,000 people on PIO so.................... to my calculations, only 0.00000001% are thinking about coming back to the uk, which is a very surprising statistic don't you think.

It shows to me that nearly everyone on PIO either are looking forward to emigrating to the best country in the world - Australia, or they are there already, lucky bleeders and most have stopped posting because they are out and about living the fabulous outdoor lifestyle. I dream a dream.

or the ones that thought Australia was cr4p are now back in blighty (or Spain) and having so much fun that they haven't even had time to log onto PIO let alone reply to this thread..

Hi everyone

Can't see why you find it so surprising Jim seen as though you KNOW Australia is the best place to live, which begs the question why you are bothered to spend the time looking at statistics.....

Guest guest36762
or the ones that thought Australia was cr4p are now back in blighty (or Spain) and having so much fun that they haven't even had time to log onto PIO let alone reply to this thread..

except you of course Aldo, though I'm sure you do it more as a public service

except you of course Aldo, though I'm sure you do it more as a public service

I make time, I'm a giver.:wink:

23 registered out of over 30,000 says it all really.

If it says anything it's that most people settle here than not-that doesn't mean however that the people who haven't settled are wrong or moaners. I wish everyone well that loves it here, but I wouldn't wish for anyone to come out and feel as some of us do (and even worse be trapped here like some people are).

I also don't buy into the notion of 'it's what you make it' & 'you have to have the right attitude' of course that all helps but unfortunately for some-it doesn't work and quite simply never will. It depends on the life & place you are leaving behind.

It makes no difference to me how many are staying in Oz or going home, I don't need proof for how feel-my feelings are real because I actually do live here.

Guest guest36762

Hi Jim nice to have you back BTW

These numbers are meaningless. I've got no idea what the actual migration figures are but I get the impression there are a surprising number of poms who struggle and go back to the UK within 5 years. Another impression I get (not backed up by stats but from personal experience) is that Poms more often attempt a permanent move to Oz, with high expectations and pressure to have made the right decision, whereas Australians come over to the UK as a temporary move and end up staying but very happy. I think this is because they have low expectations of the UK, but are then surprised by the diversity, culture etc, and cannot contemplate returning to Oz.

Overall I'd assume more Brits go to Oz than the other way round though. I'm sure some boffin will read this and immediately produce figures to rubbish my opinion....but maybe not

Dom

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I also wouldn't spend an hour going through a thread to see how many were staying....!

I never did i was hoping some nerd would check and waste a hour to prove me wrong, hell......hopefully someones doing it now wasting ages on it.lol...... Sorry i'm in a playful mood, the weathers great and i'm chilling out ....................crikey i could even believe that i'm actually in Australia its been so nice.

This does wind me up though because just when i think...... i will buy a jacuzzi, or even a pool i then realise its nice like this one year in 20 and then i think ............... Australia.

Guest chloew
I also wouldn't spend an hour going through a thread to see how many were staying....!

I never did i was hoping some nerd would check and waste a hour to prove me wrong, hell......hopefully someones doing it now wasting ages on it.lol...... Sorry i'm in a playful mood, the weathers great and i'm chilling out ....................crikey i could even believe that i'm actually in Australia its been so nice.

This does wind me up though because just when i think...... i will buy a jacuzzi, or even a pool i then realise its nice like this one year in 20 and then i think ............... Australia.

Are you not in Australia yet?!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Are you not in Australia yet?!

No unfortunately, the wife can't make her mind up.

I do have a Permanent Residency visa though, so if you are interested i could get you in, it will cost you though and you have to be into 50 yeard old Ropey HOFF lookalikes.

:wink::twitcy:

Im intregued as t how a screw and nurse can be so caked up...

must be getting some good back handers in the nick.:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Im intregued as t how a screw and nurse can be so caked up...

must be getting some good back handers in the nick.:wink:

Hey Aldo

you haven't posted for over an hour pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me you haven't been counting how many have registered to go home on all the previous pages, i did the spoof post to catch a nerd.

:biglaugh:

:laugh:

Hey Aldo

you haven't posted for over an hour pleeeeeeeeeeeease tell me you haven't been counting how many have registered to go home on all the previous pages, i did the spoof post to catch a nerd.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest guest36762
Hey Aldo

Jim did you spend you're time away from the forum studying police undercover entrapment techniques? I must admit I nibbled on you're bait

dom

Guest chloew
No unfortunately, the wife can't make her mind up.

I do have a Permanent Residency visa though, so if you are interested i could get you in, it will cost you though and you have to be into 50 yeard old Ropey HOFF lookalikes.

:wink::twitcy:

Thanks for the offer but I'm a citizen by descent - bought up in the UK though!

Guest Guest37175
Can't see why you find it so surprising Jim seen as though you KNOW Australia is the best place to live, which begs the question why you are bothered to spend the time looking at statistics.....

Guest Guest37175
Hi Jim nice to have you back BTW

These numbers are meaningless. I've got no idea what the actual migration figures are but I get the impression there are a surprising number of poms who struggle and go back to the UK within 5 years. Another impression I get (not backed up by stats but from personal experience) is that Poms more often attempt a permanent move to Oz, with high expectations and pressure to have made the right decision, whereas Australians come over to the UK as a temporary move and end up staying but very happy. I think this is because they have low expectations of the UK, but are then surprised by the diversity, culture etc, and cannot contemplate returning to Oz.

Overall I'd assume more Brits go to Oz than the other way round though. I'm sure some boffin will read this and immediately produce figures to rubbish my opinion....but maybe not

Dom

A figure I've seen bandied about on these pages is that approximately 24,000 Brits make the move to Oz each year with the intention of staying put permanently or at least in the long-term (can't remember the criterior employed to ascertain what 'long-term' meant). In terms of those leaving Oz I read at least two conflicting figures - 3,000 and 6,000 so anywhere very roughly between 12.5 - 25%. I can't remember who posted that now - it may have been Nigel (Mod). I don't know whether those figures counted ping-pongers cos there must be a fair few of those.

From my experience the expectation seems to be that Poms come to Oz to settle whilst Aussies come to the UK to get lai....sorry, for the experience.

Both groups have very different expectations!

I think you're right about Australians in the UK. I met a fair few long-term stayers (and over-stayers) in London who'd been there for years kind of by accident. They hadn't meant to stay long-term, it just kind of happened. I don't think you get too many Brits in Oz who settled here in that way, although there probably are some who did the backpacker trail and never went home.

Maybe it's to do with age. For young Aussies, two years overseas and then back home with some wonga in your pocket is usually a carefree rite of passage, whilst Brits going the other way are often making a huge commitment in terms of money, career, property, children's future, personal sanity etc. Combine those commitments with big expectations of a great new life down under and all of a sudden the pressure's on.

Interesting one that. Anyone got any reliable stats on immigration that you don't need a PHD to understand?

Oh, and I'd like to register as another one going home too.

Guest valleylass

When we left in February, the shipping company's repesentative told us that they were returning 9 out of 10 of every European that they had originally shipped out, and had been for about 18 months. Most of these were very reluctant returnees who had jobs fall through and then a short timeline for return due to visa restrictions. I was shocked by this statistic and although I cannot back it up with factual evidence I must say that it came from a reputable shipping company who could not keep up with the demand for return journeys. She said that during this time she had never seen so many grown men cry.

Home and loving it.

valleylass

Archived