Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Hey Oz.

Not only that, but another thing to keep in mind is that we only see a very very small portion of Brits going to and from Australia and the UK on here. We don't see the absolute hundreds of Brits who come and go without even knowing of these forums, let alone have an internet connection. There is so much these forums don't tell or show us. And as much as the advice here from those of us who have done their time in one or both places is great, the bottom line is, it's always going to be a "suck it and see" situation. We're all different.

Like you said, unless you've walked a mile in those shoes...

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175

Very true. Everyone's experience is as individual as a thumb-print.

Speaking of your experience Matt, do keep us informed on these pages of your experiences in Manchester. Look forward to hearing about it!

Oz

Hey Oz.

Not only that, but another thing to keep in mind is that we only see a very very small portion of Brits going to and from Australia and the UK on here. We don't see the absolute hundreds of Brits who come and go without even knowing of these forums, let alone have an internet connection. There is so much these forums don't tell or show us. And as much as the advice here from those of us who have done their time in one or both places is great, the bottom line is, it's always going to be a "suck it and see" situation. We're all different.

Like you said, unless you've walked a mile in those shoes...

Cheers

Matt

Exactly! I didn't know of this site while I was planning on moving out here. It wasn't until I arrived and things weren't going to plan that I googled ' I hate Australia ' ..... and found this!... and not only that, but I was not alone which REALLY helped. Everyone should find PIO. I thought people would think me an absolute idiot not liking Australia, honestly, my friends in the UK would just not understand - who would possibly not want to live in Oz???? As you say, you will never know unless you actually jump in and do it, and it does affect different people in different ways, and on here, there is something for everyone.

Hi,

Just a quick one. Although I have not yet got to Oz we are in the process, lots of research and now it all depends on my oh getting a job. I do agree that you do not appreciate what you have when it is with you all the time and I have to say there are many beautiful places here, I unfortuantely live in a affluent spot within a mind field of deprivation. I just wondered what makes people come back ?? Is it mainly family or the pull of familiarity etc etc. Would just love peoples opinions to look at and through other things in the pot for my hubby and I.

Thanks

Hi,

I just wondered what makes people come back ?? Is it mainly family or the pull of familiarity etc etc. Would just love peoples opinions to look at and through other things in the pot for my hubby and I.

Well, there are 56 pages of reasons on this thread. That should fill the pot, for starters:biggrin:

Guest chris955

There can be any number of reasons people return home, sometimes it's family, sometimes it's friends or it can be just the fact that they miss the UK. As has been said many times this country definitely isn't for everyone, many can't handle the weather or the bugs or a multitude of other reasons.

Well, there are 56 pages of reasons on this thread. That should fill the pot, for starters:biggrin:

But only 54 to read

What ever happend to 55 & 56. Has Rob and Jim been on??????????????????????

Guest valleylass

Hate to contradict you Cal but mine says 56 and 57 but these are just a repeat of 54 and 55. Weird eh?

• 1 month later...
Guest jackie cornish

Hi, We have been here for nearly 4 years but are returning to the UK in July. We have been happy here mostly and have even had a baby here but hubbie has not had regular work for 14 months and with interest rates rising we are getting strapped and struggling which is not why we came. Hubbie is really unhappy and has secured some contract work in UK so goes back in May while I stay on and sort the house sale/move and leave in July. We wouldn't be returning if hubbie was secure in work but never mind, we gave it a shot and the kids have had a ball.

Anyone else out there experiencing the same??

Jackie

Guest rayman1

Brisbane Nov 09

UK April 10.

Give it a go, didn't like it or see any better life for family. Returned and so much happier and view life in a more positive life. Everyone is different, my life is not your life and don't knock peoples dreams. Always try something to see if it for you.

Guest Aldo

Moving to Australia was probably the best thing to happen to me. It completly changed my outlook on life and I now look at everything with fresh eyes. I recommend it.

Guest Julz

Moving out here has opened by eyes to what is important in life, it's not sunshine, beaches or a so called better life, it's being in a place I belong with friends and family. I now realise I love my country and wish everyone in UK could have this experience, it would certainly make them realise the UK is a great place to be and be proud to be British.

Moving out here has opened by eyes to what is important in life, it's not sunshine, beaches or a so called better life, it's being in a place I belong with friends and family. I now realise I love my country and wish everyone in UK could have this experience, it would certainly make them realise the UK is a great place to be and be proud to be British.

Too true Julz

Guest mozziebite

Arrived July 09

Returning June 10

Nearly made it to a year.....but Aldo you are right, it really opens your eyes, theres more to life than the sun - will never take family and friends for granted again, miss the British sense of humour more than anything....Jeeze I can't WAIT to get home. Found Sydney to be expensive although its a lovely place and glad we came and experienced it.

Arrived last summer, going back in June also....

I can honestly say I have not been myself since I arrived, have felt very down at times, used to be the type of person who sang all the time, and was happy, it's hard coming to terms with these feelings when you've never experienced them before, very hard. I could cry with relief at the thought of getting back.

Guest MarkandTrace

Well we got here Jan 2008, started off in Mount Martha Victoria, moved to Brisbane August 2008, heading home July 2010.Its been a great experiance but when your family miss all the things they hated and want it back then life turns around. As for me well the family comes first, just got to start over again back in Norfolk.:confused:

Well we got here Jan 2008, started off in Mount Martha Victoria, moved to Brisbane August 2008, heading home July 2010.Its been a great experiance but when your family miss all the things they hated and want it back then life turns around. As for me well the family comes first, just got to start over again back in Norfolk.:confused:

More people coming back to Norfolk. I'm sure the place has a magnet that pulls us all back here!!

Good luck - it's good here!

Archived