Pension concessions

DrDougster

Would being visibly clearly in your 80s +/- a passport to prove it be ok to get into events as a concession ticket in Aus? I am thinking of taking my parents to the Big Bash on Boxing Day and while I've always just bought adult tickets for things in the past I saw concession was an option.

1 hour ago, DrDougster said:

Would being visibly clearly in your 80s +/- a passport to prove it be ok to get into events as a concession ticket in Aus? I am thinking of taking my parents to the Big Bash on Boxing Day and while I've always just bought adult tickets for things in the past I saw concession was an option.

My husband organises theatre tickets etc for our Probus group, and it does state to be in possession of a concession card or seniors card to be eligible for seniors concession. Everyone in Probus is eligible!!! no surprise there, but no one has ever been asked for proof on arrival anywhere. 

• Like 1

Eligibility for concession cards in Australia is not only based on age but also on income, Australian residency and/or receipt of particular benefits from Services Australia.  So I would be surprised if they didn't request proof of a card.

12 minutes ago, Skani said:

Eligibility for concession cards in Australia is not only based on age but also on income, Australian residency and/or receipt of particular benefits from Services Australia.  So I would be surprised if they didn't request proof of a card.

He's talking about applying for tickets for a show, not applying for health benefits or government concessions.    Often, retail discounts require you to have just a Seniors' Card, not a concession card. 

In the past, I've booked theatre tickets and the conditions said I had to present my Seniors' card to collect the tickets at the box office, which was true. However if you book the tickets and they're sent to your email immediately, it's very unlikely anyone will check when you get to the venue.

Edited by Marisawright

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

He's talking about applying for tickets for a show, not applying for health benefits or government concessions.    Often, retail discounts require you to have just a Seniors' Card, not a concession card. 

I realise that but, AFAIK, all Australian  concessions/seniors cards (which vary from state to state)  have permanent residency as a requirement.  I would think that cricket  (which attracts many senior international visitors as spectators) would be loathe to offer a concession based on the date of birth on a foreign passport.  Whenever I've claimed a concession  I've always had to show or quote  my concession card number.  However, the OP may be lucky.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rammygirl said:

When buying tickets online I have never been asked for proof when entering. Sometimes I feel dismayed they don’t ask me to prove I’m old enough anymore…….

A friend of mine, age 80,  who is an artist, wanted to buy paint in Bunnings that apparently is popular with graffiti idiots. She had no proof of age that she was over 18 with her and so was refused her purchase. Had to go back later with proof!! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ramot said:

A friend of mine, age 80,  who is an artist, wanted to buy paint in Bunnings that apparently is popular with graffiti idiots. She had no proof of age that she was over 18 with her and so was refused her purchase. Had to go back later with proof!! 

I hope she left her tag in their car park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Skani said:

I realise that but, AFAIK, all Australian  concessions/seniors cards (which vary from state to state)  have permanent residency as a requirement.  I would think that cricket  (which attracts many senior international visitors as spectators) would be loathe to offer a concession based on the date of birth on a foreign passport.  Whenever I've claimed a concession  I've always had to show or quote  my concession card number.  However, the OP may be lucky.  

I think age is an internationally recognised metric

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Most of them just nick it. Should tell her to shove it down her pants next time and tell them she's trans if anyone questions it.

6 hours ago, Skani said:

I just use my father's concession card. No one has ever questioned it. Not sure if I should be worried about that?

13 hours ago, ramot said:

Couple of years ago I was going to a Bon Jovi concert in Brisbane; they do free bus travel if you show your ticket. All the kids at my bus stop waved bits of paper and piled on without any of the papers being checked,. When I got on the driver said I had to pay - I showed him the ticket and he said I must have borrowed it from one of the kids as "no old people like you go to rock concerts". Wouldn't let me on till I paid the fare!!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Couple of years ago I was going to a Bon Jovi concert in Brisbane; they do free bus travel if you show your ticket. All the kids at my bus stop waved bits of paper and piled on without any of the papers being checked,. When I got on the driver said I had to pay - I showed him the ticket and he said I must have borrowed it from one of the kids as "no old people like you go to rock concerts". Wouldn't let me on till I paid the fare!!

Did you trash the bus before you got off?

• Haha 1

On 09/12/2023 at 23:22, Nemesis said:

I would have just sat down, what is he going to do?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Well he said he wasn't going anywhere till I either paid or got off, so I figured paying was better than annoying rather a lot of people who all wanted the bus to move!!

You could kind of understand it if you'd been going to see Eminem, but Bon Jovi are practically a bunch of pensioners themselves.

I would've reported him to the bus company and sent your story to the Courier Mail. It would practically have been headline news based on some of the drivel they print! 

• Like 2

On 09/12/2023 at 11:56, ramot said:

I just show them  my white  hair.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 08:42, Bobj said:

I just show them  my white  hair.

Cheers, Bobj.

White hair is no proof of age. When I was in my early 30s I worked with a fella who can't have been a day over 40, and he was completely grey. He was very smooth and worked in sales, so we nicknamed him the 'silver fox'.

4 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

White hair is no proof of age. When I was in my early 30s I worked with a fella who can't have been a day over 40, and he was completely grey. He was very smooth and worked in sales, so we nicknamed him the 'silver fox'.

He's probably in an ILD clinic having his telomeres checked by now...

15 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

You'll need to explain that one to me!

Early greying is associated with some diseases where your telomeres shorten prematurely and predispose you to developing lung fibrosis and other horrible things. Lobsters do not have this issue... (Telomere shortening I mean, but they obviously don't get lung fibrosis either!)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...