Waiting for an invite.....

Rob Frain

On 09/09/2023 at 22:11, Rob Frain said:

Wow I havent looked at this thread since we got the news. What a day from utmost joy and crying with happiness to absolute rock bottom. I'm not going to say much, but take life every day as you can and appreciate what you have today as you never know what is around the corner. Life is too short to be having silly arguments on a forum, as someone said words by themselves on here can be misinterpreted. Just be nice.. x

Really sorry to hear you’ve had bad news and a further delay. All the best. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

In addition to the above list you will also need a Tax File Number (TFN) to give to your employer, which is similar to the NI Number you have in the UK. I don't know which (if any) of these things you can apply for from abroad but I wouldn't sweat too much, it doesn't take that long to get them on arrival. Your teacher registration will take a bit longer depending on which state you want to work in, so it's worth looking into that in advance. It took me about 6 weeks to get registered in QLD, but that was back in 2011. I was also registered in NSW for a while although I've never taught there, and they had a completely different set of hoops to jump through. Below is a list of the teacher registration bodies for each state/territory, which I hope is helpful.

I will stick my neck out here and say you will have absolutely no problem finding a teaching job in any state at any time of the year, as there's a significant teacher shortage Australia-wide at the moment. You may well have to accept a contract first, but the conditions of employment and entitlements are usually the same as for permanent staff (except for the end date). If I was you I'd be a bit choosy and not jump at the first thing that's offered or you might find yourself in some hell-hole doing country service for 3 years, which is okay for the younger ones but probably not what you'd want to be doing with a young family.

1. New South Wales (NSW):
  2. Victoria (VIC):
  3. Queensland (QLD):
  4. South Australia (SA):
  5. Western Australia (WA):
  6. Tasmania (TAS):
  7. Northern Territory (NT):
  8. Australian Capital Territory (ACT):

Signing up to WA. Is it provisional I'm after?! I'm sure it is!

1 hour ago, Rob Frain said:

Signing up to WA. Is it provisional I'm after?! I'm sure it is!

The TRBWA website is a little vague on the matter. It seems that the Provisional pathway is for new or recently-qualified AUS or NZ teachers, and the process for overseas-qualified teachers is slightly different (see link below). I would assume that once you're registered you will receive Provisional registration based on how it works here in Queensland. After you've completed the teaching requirement (100 days in the 5 years for WA) you can then apply for Full registration. It's about 12 years since I went through the process in QLD as an overseas-trained teacher, but I recall Full registration being a formality once I'd met the teaching requirement. I noticed the processing time is 10 weeks, so definitely something you'd want to start before you arrive.

https://www.trb.wa.gov.au/Teacher-Registration/Becoming-registered/Overseas-qualified-teachers

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 189 visa grant this morning!!! 🥳

No case officer contact, no further information needed just straight lodge to grant. 

Now I can apply for my nursing registration and start properly looking at jobs. 

EOI: 25/01/23

Mental health nurse  70 points

Invited: 25/05/23

Lodged: 22/06/23

Health exam uploaded to immi: 03/08/23

Granted: 20/09/23 

Edited by RubyMonday
  • Congratulations 8

4 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

No case officer contact, no further information needed just straight lodge to grant. 

Delighted for you! Many congratulations and all the best! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

Congratulations…. Let the fun begin!!! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening

Looking at heading over now for Easter. A few complications - not with us as a family but we have had to delay. Saying that myself and my daughter are flying out to Melbourne tomorrow for a week (yes I know 😞 ) and just need to check the visa situation. With the 189 even if my wife and son are not coming we should be okay? Is there anything different they will do when we get there - even if they can see we are only there for 7 days? Is it worth printing the 189 visas just in case?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Evening

Looking at heading over now for Easter. A few complications - not with us as a family but we have had to delay. Saying that myself and my daughter are flying out to Melbourne tomorrow for a week (yes I know 😞 ) and just need to check the visa situation. With the 189 even if my wife and son are not coming we should be okay? Is there anything different they will do when we get there - even if they can see we are only there for 7 days? Is it worth printing the 189 visas just in case?

No harm in taking a paper copy just in case.  I did.  A check on VEVO will confirm your visa is all aligned to your passport - I'd hold that in higher regard than a paper printout, myself.

As for a week, that's longer than the three day trip I took to activate my 189 back in the day. 😉

All your visas will likely have been granted in their own right - so unless there are any marked conditions on the visa grant notice, your wife and son will be fine arriving on their own.  Nothing different for them to do on arrival.

It's extremely uneventful and underwhelming to be honest.  Just scan your passport at the gate and walk through.

Not even a tacky little flag to wave: just head down to Swanston St for the Australia Day parade your first January and load up on them there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh - and enjoy your activation trip, mate. 
I'd heartily recommend you check out WonderBao if you're after a little mobile lunch while you explore the city. And Shanghai Street is always my top choice for quick and easy (and affordable!) dumplings of an evening for a little refuelling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Evening

Fab. Easter is not too long to wait. Enjoy Melbourne! 

5 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Ok so I’m currently writing this at 36,000 above Australia landing in 4 hours. We have been  given the cards to hand over when we arrive but unsure what to tick. We are here for 6 days but I want to activate the 189 visa…. What do I tick?! 

The visa will be activated when you enter the country, regardless of what you tick on the card.

3 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The visa will be activated when you enter the country, regardless of what you tick on the card.

Brill so be honest. It does have option a migrating permanently to Australia then b visitor or temporary entrant with how long I intend to stay. 

28 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Brill so be honest. It does have option a migrating permanently to Australia then b visitor or temporary entrant with how long I intend to stay. 

Yep, you can tick the migrating permanently box. Its really only a statistical thing. 

They no longer have departure cards, which is a bit of a shame as I spent many years ticking the "Departing Permanently" box whenever I went home on holiday, but they scrapped the cards before I could honestly do it one last time 😄

More important is to check the declarations - there are several cars in use as they use up old stock. One asks for ANY food to be declared, I think the others just ask about any forbidden food to be declared, so read it carefully. If you have to declare any food you are carrying, that includes things like packets of Polos and bars of chocolate. 

First entry on permanent visa, I go with “migrating permanently “ and then “returning resident”. 

• Like 1

Ok now I’m here - how do I work out if it’s been activated. Can’t see anything different anywhere?!? 

You (presumably) came through Immigration a an airport and either used an e-passport machine or showed your passport to an Immigration Officer. If it wasn't activated and valid you would not have got any further!