Waiting for an invite.....

Rob Frain

57 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Medicals were all done today in Manchester. Nice and easy - the Doctor was great with our two kids. In and out in about 2 hours. Everything seemed to be okay and he said there were no issues. The bloods apparently take 48 hours to check - I'm sure all they test for is HIV( can anyone confirm?) We then went for a celebratory Brewdog just down the road!! 🙂 

Unless things have changed very recently, the yes, thats all they check for.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

No idea. We front loaded medicals due to hubby having a few operations so just lodged once we knew they were all ok. They probably haven’t looked at it yet so shouldn’t cause a delay. 

30th May we did the application. Then immediately medicals wanted. Hopefully won’t be too long but I noted that processing has gone up another month looking at their schedules. 😢

20 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

30th May we did the application. Then immediately medicals wanted. Hopefully won’t be too long but I noted that processing has gone up another month looking at their schedules. 😢

That's good you managed to get them so soon and that you all passed. I work random 13h shifts and have to travel to Edinburgh as my closest panel physician. The earliest I could get booked for around my work times was 28th July. I can see on my immi account that it was updated on the day I booked to say that "a panel clinic is currently processing this person's health examinations in eMedical"  so they know I've got it booked at least.  

• Congratulations 1

2 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

That's good you managed to get them so soon and that you all passed. I work random 13h shifts and have to travel to Edinburgh as my closest panel physician. The earliest I could get booked for around my work times was 28th July. I can see on my immi account that it was updated on the day I booked to say that "a panel clinic is currently processing this person's health examinations in eMedical"  so they know I've got it booked at least.  

It was a month's wait for the Medicals. Had them on Wed, got my results online on Thursday evening and Friday morning everyone else got theirs. I'm hoping to get the grant before December however I've read that some people from the October invitation still haven't got their grant! 😞

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

It was a month's wait for the Medicals. Had them on Wed, got my results online on Thursday evening and Friday morning everyone else got theirs. I'm hoping to get the grant before December however I've read that some people from the October invitation still haven't got their grant! 😞

Are you in healthcare or teaching? They might still be processing those occupations as a priority so it might take less than the 6 months they are currently quoting for average processing time. I'm planning for going over maybe September/October next year. There's a lot I need to get sorted here and saving up more money since the costs are mounting up. I'm trying to time the 189 grant and having a year to enter to activate it with being able to get a job and do the nursing registration which needs to present in person within 3 months of provisional grant. I'd rather not have to go to activate the visa then come back to UK then back again. 

12 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

Are you in healthcare or teaching? They might still be processing those occupations as a priority so it might take less than the 6 months they are currently quoting for average processing time. I'm planning for going over maybe September/October next year. There's a lot I need to get sorted here and saving up more money since the costs are mounting up. I'm trying to time the 189 grant and having a year to enter to activate it with being able to get a job and do the nursing registration which needs to present in person within 3 months of provisional grant. I'd rather not have to go to activate the visa then come back to UK then back again. 

We're both teachers and it sounds like WA is in desperate need of teachers. Admittedly we have put all the costs on a  credit card and will pay off later once over there with the extra income!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

We're both teachers and it sounds like WA is in desperate need of teachers. Admittedly we have put all the costs on a  credit card and will pay off later once over there with the extra income!

Are they not offering incentives/relocation support for teachers in WA? I think I'd be too nervous to put things on credit cards before I get there, I'd rather have the liquid funds as a safety net. It's finding a rental I'm concerned about and paying higher costs for airbnb etc until I find one, hoping I won't run out of money. I'm not planning on moving without a job pre-arranged though.  

1 minute ago, RubyMonday said:

Are they not offering incentives/relocation support for teachers in WA? I think I'd be too nervous to put things on credit cards before I get there, I'd rather have the liquid funds as a safety net. It's finding a rental I'm concerned about and paying higher costs for airbnb etc until I find one, hoping I won't run out of money. I'm not planning on moving without a job pre-arranged though.  

They are offering incentives in the pool, however you have to work where they put you. Most cases this is hours and hours away from Perth. If I were younger id be interested in this however im coming up to 40 and want to be near the city. I'm sure it'll be pretty quick to find a teaching role, however, if not I can do cover work. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Are they not offering incentives/relocation support for teachers in WA?

My oh and I came out to Australia in 1985 and they had already stopped offering any incentives or relocation support for teachers!    As Rob says, if incentives are available, it's to get people to go out and work in remote areas.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

They are offering incentives in the pool, however you have to work where they put you. Most cases this is hours and hours away from Perth. If I were younger id be interested in this however im coming up to 40 and want to be near the city. I'm sure it'll be pretty quick to find a teaching role, however, if not I can do cover work. 

Ah ok, I'm sure there will be plenty of temp work going for you in Perth to tide you over. I think I'm lucky then, as a nurse they are offering $8000 from WA, $10,000 from SA and $20,000 from QLD (QLD's too hot for me though). That includes the state capitals/major cities the same with no reduction and you only have to work 12 months to keep the full amount. I don't know about the other states since I have no interest in working there. Personally I'm 34 so not that young and sprightly but I'd prefer to stay out of the main cities. I'm looking for the quietest life I can get in a small town/regional area, not a long commute through city traffic. Most of the jobs are in the main areas though so might end up in Perth or Adelaide at least to start with. 

26 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

https://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=160&AdvertID=316356&source=other

WA are indeed offering relocation support for secondary teachers. 

It’s not the same as a skilled independent visa though. Might be worth it if you’re in your 20’s, footloose and fancy free. 

Sorry, I should've been more specific. That WA offer is an employer-sponsored temporary visa and as Rob says, it's for teachers willing to go to remote areas.  It's pretty normal to offer some relocation expenses as part of the 482 package because it's a short-term move and it wouldn't be affordable for some families otherwise.  

8 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

I'd prefer to stay out of the main cities. I'm looking for the quietest life I can get in a small town/regional area, not a long commute through city traffic.

Bear in mind that in Australia, small towns are very isolated.  It's not like the UK where you can live in a village and be just an hour or so away from city amenities.   

I don't know where you live in the UK but if you're used to traffic in England, you'll wonder what everyone in Perth or Adelaide is complaining about.  Yes there are traffic jams but in general, the roads are much less jammed.   Even in Melbourne, which is five times the size of Adelaide, I've never seen traffic as bad as the South of England.

Edited by Marisawright

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Bear in mind that in Australia, small towns are very isolated.  It's not like the UK where you can live in a village and be just an hour or so away from city amenities.   

I don't know where you live in the UK but if you're used to traffic in England, you'll wonder what everyone in Perth or Adelaide is complaining about.  Yes there are traffic jams but in general, the roads are much less jammed.   Even in Melbourne, which is five times the size of Adelaide, I've never seen traffic as bad as the South of England.

I've lived in isolated places in Australia before (in WA and SA) where it was only the 3-5 of us working there that lived in the area. A 2 hour drive to the nearest town that had a supermarket. I didn't have a car at the time so effectively trapped there where I worked. The boss drove me once a month so I could do a bit of shopping and sort out any banking/errands I could do etc. I must say it was not great in terms of internet signal and only getting things delivered once a week but not impossible, it didn't really bother me. I'm not really really for somewhere that remote though, there wouldn't be jobs there for me anyway. I've never been a big city person, I'm from Newcastle so a small compact city without the traffic/people I imagine you'd get in a larger city. No chance in my life I'd live in London or Sydney for that matter, I'm just not a huge fan of busyness.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

It is desperate and for a reason. Many teachers as I believe is the case in UK, have resigned, some 70-% across Australia have thoughts of leaving the profession. 

55% of West Australia teachers reported being subjected to threats, cyber bullying or physical acts of violence. That amounts to one teacher every 40 minutes experiencing some degree of violence. 

Not so different from UK after all? Pay may well be better, but cost of living, especially around housing is insane. 

4 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

I've lived in isolated places in Australia before (in WA and SA) where it was only the 3-5 of us working there that lived in the area. A 2 hour drive to the nearest town that had a supermarket. I didn't have a car at the time so effectively trapped there where I worked. The boss drove me once a month so I could do a bit of shopping and sort out any banking/errands I could do etc. I must say it was not great in terms of internet signal and only getting things delivered once a week but not impossible, it didn't really bother me. I'm not really really for somewhere that remote though, there wouldn't be jobs there for me anyway. I've never been a big city person, I'm from Newcastle so a small compact city without the traffic/people I imagine you'd get in a larger city. No chance in my life I'd live in London or Sydney for that matter, I'm just not a huge fan of busyness.  

You would need to check out the towns rather well , just to what extent they would meet requirements. Certain small towns, probably more in the north are sadly impacted badly by violence. Most small towns in WA have severe drug problems. Perhaps not immediately visible to a casual observer but very impacting never the less. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

You would need to check out the towns rather well , just to what extent they would meet requirements. Certain small towns, probably more in the north are sadly impacted badly by violence. Most small towns in WA have severe drug problems. Perhaps not immediately visible to a casual observer but very impacting never the less. 

Yes I'm aware, the drug and alcohol problems in particular were pretty bad already when I was last there and it doesn't look like it's gotten any better. I always tend to research things pretty well plus I'll be on a 189 visa so not fixed to any job/state and can move if I find a place is not for me.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Yes I'm aware, the drug and alcohol problems in particular were pretty bad already when I was last there and it doesn't look like it's gotten any better. I always tend to research things pretty well plus I'll be on a 189 visa so not fixed to any job/state and can move if I find a place is not for me.   

Definitely not better on any front. sadly is a multi billion dollar industry just in WA. You are fortunate if have choices though.   . 

1 minute ago, Blue Flu said:

Definitely not better on any front. sadly is a multi billion dollar industry just in WA. You are fortunate if have choices though.   . 

I’m not sure how it can be much worse than central Scotland. I literally have to dodge the junkies on the way to and from my office in central Glasgow. In most small towns/villages here the dealers deliver the drugs through letterboxes. If you ask kids why they started doing drugs they will say ‘they are easy to get and there’s nothing else to do’. I don’t buy the last bit of that justification. Walking from the train station to my car the other day there was a guy in his early 20’s, jacket open to the navel with nothing underneath. Wandering around, totally off his face with a packet of street drugs in his hands. At 4pm on a Monday! This is all in a large-ish town (circa 70k people), nice area. It seems to be a universal problem in the developed world, but the decline in the UK just now is stark. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I’m not sure how it can be much worse than central Scotland. I literally have to dodge the junkies on the way to and from my office in central Glasgow. In most small towns/villages here the dealers deliver the drugs through letterboxes. If you ask kids why they started doing drugs they will say ‘they are easy to get and there’s nothing else to do’. I don’t buy the last bit of that justification. Walking from the train station to my car the other day there was a guy in his early 20’s, jacket open to the navel with nothing underneath. Wandering around, totally off his face with a packet of street drugs in his hands. At 4pm on a Monday! This is all in a large-ish town (circa 70k people), nice area. It seems to be a universal problem in the developed world, but the decline in the UK just now is stark. 

Same as homelessness, every so often you would see a homeless person on the street in the city center. Now there are multiple around all day everyday and as you say more people visibly drunk/on drugs in public in the middle of an average working day. You can know things are going downhill but seeing it clearly is really sad. With the way living costs/mortgage interest rates are going up and salaries aren't it's only going to get worse. Australia definitely has similar problems though so I'm definitely not going with rose tinted glasses.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

I'm from Newcastle so a small compact city without the traffic/people I imagine you'd get in a larger city. 

That makes sense, but greater Newcastle has a population of over 800,000.  That's not much different to Adelaide, really.