Waiting for an invite.....

Rob Frain

16 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

So two hours after sending them the document they requesting (birth certificate with parents names on)I’m still here almost 4 weeks later. Is there anything we can do?!? 

Unfortunately you’ve just gotta wait, frustrating I know.

When you looking at coming out and we’re too?

9 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

So two hours after sending them the document they requesting (birth certificate with parents names on)I’m still here almost 4 weeks later. Is there anything we can do?!? 

You're ahead of me, I had delays. I got the invite in May but didn't submit until late June. Then unfortunately I couldn't get my health assessments done and updated to the immi website until 3rd August. I'm still checking every day, I don't have a case officer or any movement since the 3rd. I've heard they've slowed down the processing of newer applications and are working on clearing the backlog of applications from last year. I'm just hoping I might have the grant by Christmas. 

14 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

You got the answer already.  They put your application aside when they requested that extra document, and started working on other applications.  Nothing you can do about it unfortunately. They'll get back to yours when they're done.

4 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

You're ahead of me, I had delays. I got the invite in May but didn't submit until late June. Then unfortunately I couldn't get my health assessments done and updated to the immi website until 3rd August.

Sadly if they don't get your documents/assessments when they ask for them, they put your application aside and get to work on other applications instead, so it will likely be a long wait before they get back to it.

On 31/08/2023 at 12:09, Lavers said:

Unfortunately you’ve just gotta wait, frustrating I know.

When you looking at coming out and we’re too?

Was January time but I cant see it happening now till later on. It's scary how I'm literally waiting for them to look at a birth certificate for less than 5 seconds and it should be granted! 😞 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

You're ahead of me, I had delays. I got the invite in May but didn't submit until late June. Then unfortunately I couldn't get my health assessments done and updated to the immi website until 3rd August. I'm still checking every day, I don't have a case officer or any movement since the 3rd. I've heard they've slowed down the processing of newer applications and are working on clearing the backlog of applications from last year. I'm just hoping I might have the grant by Christmas. 

Everything crossed for you! I'm so hoping before Christmas. I think we'll call it mid-September if nothing is received - and delay until further down the line in 2024. 

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Sadly if they don't get your documents/assessments when they ask for them, they put your application aside and get to work on other applications instead, so it will likely be a long wait before they get back to it.

It was a simple upload - which hadn't been uploaded - yes my mistake but so annoying as it's a very very simple one that could have been rectified in seconds. 

13 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

How do you know this?

They don’t they just like winding folk up lol. Unless someone on here works for immi, they don’t really know, it’s all just conjecture. Most of the experienced agents don’t even know the exact way things are processed or understand the ‘logic’ applied to the grants system. 

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

They don’t they just like winding folk up lol. Unless someone on here works for immi, they don’t really know, it’s all just conjecture. Most of the experienced agents don’t even know the exact way things are processed or understand the ‘logic’ applied to the grants system. 

Back in the day, on a different forum, a case officer actually signed up and posted the answers to questions like this. He was soon "Advised" by his superiors that it was a career-limiting move, and closed his account, but some of us had gained a few interesting insights from his short visit. 

Most of us who post on here have been through the visa process, and the stress that goes with it, at least once, and would not post stuff like this as a wind-up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It stands to reason that if an application is lacking any relevant information or documents they will put it on hold and deal with others first. I don't think anyone needs 'inside information' to work that one out. It would also be fair to assume that an application will only be delayed by the length of time it takes the applicant to provide immigration with the additional information/documents they've requested. It would seem unfair if they delayed an application unnecessarily once they had received everything they need to complete it.

Of course, I've no idea how it works in practice but the above would seem logical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Frain said:

Visa was finally granted overnight. Let the fun begin. Omg crying this morning. 

Congratulations Rob!!!! 

That's amazing a 189 processed and granted in around 3 months. Strange that you got yours so soon when there are people still waiting from applying in October and December last year but absolutely good for you though. 

Now for more stress of actually moving, happy stress though hopefully. When do you think you'll move out, early next year like originally planned/hoped for? 

Hopefully there will be some movement on mine soon. I'm going to Cyprus tomorrow and won't have my login details for the immi website so it will be a break from checking twice a day. I'll still have my email to get any notification of grant/case officer though if that happens.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Congratulations Rob!!!! 

That's amazing a 189 processed and granted in around 3 months. Strange that you got yours so soon when there are people still waiting from applying in October and December last year but absolutely good for you though. 

Now for more stress of actually moving, happy stress though hopefully. When do you think you'll move out, early next year like originally planned/hoped for? 

Hopefully there will be some movement on mine soon. I'm going to Cyprus tomorrow and won't have my login details for the immi website so it will be a break from checking twice a day. I'll still have my email to get any notification of grant/case officer though if that happens.

What’s your timeline looking like Ruby? We lodged end of June with everything front loaded. All has been quiet. 189 in a priority occupation. It’s not been long and I’m just hoping it’s granted before we go for our reccy trip in Feb. 

4 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

What’s your timeline looking like Ruby? We lodged end of June with everything front loaded. All has been quiet. 189 in a priority occupation. It’s not been long and I’m just hoping it’s granted before we go for our reccy trip in Feb. 

I was invited in the May round but didn't submit until 22nd June since I was waiting for my ACRO police check to come through, bad time for their system to be hacked. I booked the health assessment within a couple days after that but couldn't get an appointment until end July so the results weren't uploaded to immi until August 3rd. I've seen some people on facebook in priority healthcare occupations also got their 189 grants within these last few days who lodged in June and I think they already had everything done. Another couple have had case officers assigned and requests for further information and corrections to make to their applications. 

I've already lived in Australia for 1+year and traveled all over and visited twice since then so I was hoping to get away with not doing a reccy/visa activating trip since I know you have a year to make the first entry following grant.

I was looking at just making the full move in September/October time next year and so am not actually that worried about not having it granted yet since it still suits that time line. Having said that I started a new job in April this year which is very niche and not something I might ever be able to get back into if I return to the UK. On good days I think what am I doing moving when I've got it pretty good here. Then again on awful days I hate the job and want my grant so I can book my flights and leave asap. 

• Like 3

Such a shame that Rob's good news and visa grant has been overshadowed by negativity. Only a couple of people have actually congratulated him even thought this is his thread. Others have ignored or not noticed it in favour of carrying on a disagreement.

I have noticed that some of the visa information/advice given by those who went though this many years ago is at times incorrect or outdated. That could end up being problematic for some people but I generally take the approach of appreciating people taking the time to try and help if the intentions seem well even if it's not actually helpful or I disagree with it. I would also advocate for people being realistic but at the end of the day it's a personal choice and no one will really know for sure if it's right for them until they make the move. We're all grown ups making a huge decision and people need to take responsibility for the decisions they make based on the information they choose to engage with and judge for themselves what's useful and relevant and what's not. People will always be free to post whatever they want even excessively negative or factually incorrect information and others are free to ignore it and look to alternative sources of information or provide a counter point if they feel they know better.

Once again congrats Rob and fingers crossed for the rest us still waiting. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Visa was finally granted overnight. Let the fun begin. Omg crying this morning. 

Excellent!! Congrats and good luck with the move!

(first time online since you posted so not prompted by the post above 😄 )

Edited by Nemesis

15 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

Such a shame that Rob's good news and visa grant has been overshadowed by negativity. Only a couple of people have actually congratulated him even thought this is his thread. Others have ignored or not noticed it in favour of carrying on a disagreement.

I have noticed that some of the visa information/advice given by those who went though this many years ago is at times incorrect or outdated. That could end up being problematic for some people but I generally take the approach of appreciating people taking the time to try and help if the intentions seem well even if it's not actually helpful or I disagree with it. I would also advocate for people being realistic but at the end of the day it's a personal choice and no one will really know for sure if it's right for them until they make the move. We're all grown ups making a huge decision and people need to take responsibility for the decisions they make based on the information they choose to engage with and judge for themselves what's useful and relevant and what's not. People will always be free to post whatever they want even excessively negative or factually incorrect information and others are free to ignore it and look to alternative sources of information or provide a counter point if they feel they know better.

Once again congrats Rob and fingers crossed for the rest us still waiting. 

I was one of the 10 people who acknowledged Rob's good news with the celebration emoji, which seemed appropriate considering I hadn't been actively involved in the discussion until yesterday. I was granted my 189 decades ago, so I don't pitch in with advice on this part of the forum as I know my experience of the process will no longer be relevant.

What's still relevant are the emotions you go through while you are waiting. From when I sent off that big brown envelope (long before the days of the internet) to receiving my grant was one year and ten months. It took so long that at times I'd forgotten I'd applied, until someone would casually mention "Have you heard anything from Australia?" I also met a very nice lady during that time who wasn't in a position to join me, and I nearly didn't go because of her, but she was adamant I should. The letter went to my mum's address because I was working away from home at the time, and she called me with the news. "Well they're letting you into Australia, so I guess I'll be seeing less of you than I do already". It wasn't exactly how I'd envisaged the moment! I reassured my mum that I'd get back every year to visit, which I did (at great expense, I might add) apart from one year when she came to visit me. She'd never been interested in Australia, but after a month over here she said "I don't blame you for leaving England. The country's gone down the nick, and it's bloody lovely here!"

Congratulations again to Rob, and good luck to the rest of you who are following this thread. I hope it won't be long before you get your respective grants.

• Like 5

Wow I havent looked at this thread since we got the news. What a day from utmost joy and crying with happiness to absolute rock bottom. I'm not going to say much, but take life every day as you can and appreciate what you have today as you never know what is around the corner. Life is too short to be having silly arguments on a forum, as someone said words by themselves on here can be misinterpreted. Just be nice.. x

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Wow I havent looked at this thread since we got the news. What a day from utmost joy and crying with happiness to absolute rock bottom. I'm not going to say much, but take life every day as you can and appreciate what you have today as you never know what is around the corner. Life is too short to be having silly arguments on a forum, as someone said words by themselves on here can be misinterpreted. Just be nice.. x

Whats next Rob?  Do you have a timeline for the big move?

14 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Whats next Rob?  Do you have a timeline for the big move?

We were looking at Christmas, however we are almost certainly having to delay till sometime next year - Im now hoping Easter. Sadly itll probably be a bad time to get a full time job but im sure we can both get some relief work. I just need to get registered now. What else can I do now with this Visa whilst being over here in the Uk? Can i get a bank account? Sign up for medicare?? 

51 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

We were looking at Christmas, however we are almost certainly having to delay till sometime next year - Im now hoping Easter. Sadly itll probably be a bad time to get a full time job but im sure we can both get some relief work. I just need to get registered now. What else can I do now with this Visa whilst being over here in the Uk? Can i get a bank account? Sign up for medicare?? 

In addition to the above list you will also need a Tax File Number (TFN) to give to your employer, which is similar to the NI Number you have in the UK. I don't know which (if any) of these things you can apply for from abroad but I wouldn't sweat too much, it doesn't take that long to get them on arrival. Your teacher registration will take a bit longer depending on which state you want to work in, so it's worth looking into that in advance. It took me about 6 weeks to get registered in QLD, but that was back in 2011. I was also registered in NSW for a while although I've never taught there, and they had a completely different set of hoops to jump through. Below is a list of the teacher registration bodies for each state/territory, which I hope is helpful.

I will stick my neck out here and say you will have absolutely no problem finding a teaching job in any state at any time of the year, as there's a significant teacher shortage Australia-wide at the moment. You may well have to accept a contract first, but the conditions of employment and entitlements are usually the same as for permanent staff (except for the end date). If I was you I'd be a bit choosy and not jump at the first thing that's offered or you might find yourself in some hell-hole doing country service for 3 years, which is okay for the younger ones but probably not what you'd want to be doing with a young family.

1. New South Wales (NSW):
  2. Victoria (VIC):
  3. Queensland (QLD):
  4. South Australia (SA):
  5. Western Australia (WA):
  6. Tasmania (TAS):
  7. Northern Territory (NT):
  8. Australian Capital Territory (ACT):