Waiting for an invite.....

Rob Frain

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That makes sense, but greater Newcastle has a population of over 800,000.  That's not much different to Adelaide, really.  

Well yeah if you include the whole county then it is near 800,000 but you don't feel that in just Newcastle city itself. The population of Adelaide is actually 1.3 million but I always thought it had that smaller city feel which is why I liked it.  

10 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Well yeah if you include the whole county then it is near 800,000 but you don't feel that in just Newcastle city itself. The population of Adelaide is actually 1.3 million but I always thought it had that smaller city feel which is why I liked it.  

Actually, the city of Newcastle has a higher population density than the city of Adelaide (people per sq km).   So although Adelaide has more people, they're much more spread out. 

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Actually, the city of Newcastle has a higher population density than the city of Adelaide (people per sq km).   So although Adelaide has more people, they're much more spread out. 

Ok probably why I got that feeling then. I prefer smaller places but cities are fine as long as they don't feel too big and bustling. I'm just still not sure of Adelaide over Perth. I'm more drawn to Adelaide, I have a friend living there and have spent more time there in the past than Perth. It really just depends on the job situation though. If I put in the effort and keep applying once the visa is processed then I'm sure I could find something good in either.

7 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Ok probably why I got that feeling then. I prefer smaller places but cities are fine as long as they don't feel too big and bustling. I'm just still not sure of Adelaide over Perth. ...

In your shoes, I'd go for Adelaide, especially as you have a friend there.  Not because it's better, but because it gives you more flexibility for the future.

If you migrate to Perth with all your worldly goods, then decide it's not for you, then it's going to cost you as much to move your belongings from Perth to, say, Bendigo as it did to move it from the UK to Perth.   Also, from Adelaide you can drive to explore Victoria easily.  Country Victoria is more densely populated than other states with shorter distances between a fair number of small and medium-sized country towns, so that gives you more job opportunities for the future.  Whereas if you're in Perth and want to move to another state, it's a long expensive plane flight and overnight stay every time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

In your shoes, I'd go for Adelaide, especially as you have a friend there.  Not because it's better, but because it gives you more flexibility for the future.

If you migrate to Perth with all your worldly goods, then decide it's not for you, then it's going to cost you as much to move your belongings from Perth to, say, Bendigo as it did to move it from the UK to Perth.   Also, from Adelaide you can drive to explore Victoria easily.  Country Victoria is more densely populated than other states with shorter distances between a fair number of small and medium-sized country towns, so that gives you more job opportunities for the future.  Whereas if you're in Perth and want to move to another state, it's a long expensive plane flight and overnight stay every time.

I don't know why but Victoria just never interested me. I had a bad experience in Mildura and wasn't keen on the locust swarm I strolled into in Loxton, SA on the way there. I guess there'll be plenty of time to explore and maybe I'll change my mind.  

2 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

I don't know why but Victoria just never interested me. I had a bad experience in Mildura and wasn't keen on the locust swarm I strolled into in Loxton, SA on the way there. I guess there'll be plenty of time to explore and maybe I'll change my mind.  

Not suggesting you should choose Victoria over SA.  Just pointing out that being in Adelaide makes it easy to explore into Victoria and further afield, which gives you more options for progression in your future career.  

Mildura is in the far north of Victoria so not at all representative of what the rest of the state is like.  The weather is dramatically different for one thing!  

7 hours ago, RubyMonday said:

Same as homelessness, every so often you would see a homeless person on the street in the city center. Now there are multiple around all day everyday and as you say more people visibly drunk/on drugs in public in the middle of an average working day. You can know things are going downhill but seeing it clearly is really sad. With the way living costs/mortgage interest rates are going up and salaries aren't it's only going to get worse. Australia definitely has similar problems though so I'm definitely not going with rose tinted glasses.  

I’m at a stage where I feel like a week doesn’t go by where there’s not an ‘incident’ of some sort. This week it’s been someone trying to break in to our back garden during the night and the guy in the street with the drugs. Last week was the guy in Central Station staggering about grabbing folk. What’s next week’s special treat? Lol. 
Aus undoubtedly has similar issues, but if you look at the data, they are nowhere near the scale of Scotland’s drug issue. Yet. Bottom line for me is there are fewer people in more space and salaries are higher for the jobs we’d be doing. For my job I’d earn £20k gbp more in Aus than here. Having done a lot of research the cost of living overall doesn’t seem proportionately that much higher than here. Cars, houses and food a bit higher, fuel, utilities and days out a bit lower. £13 for a glass of rosé in Edinburgh last week. If nothing else I’ll be skint in the sun! Wish you all the best with the move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, FirstWorldProblems said:

Pretty sure everyone does that. Some of us more than once a day!   Entirely normal 

Glad to hear...... I've got everything crossed - and now kid of wish that I did go through an agent but everything seems correct on the form and I wouldn't say im a stupid guy! 

16 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Glad to hear...... I've got everything crossed - and now kid of wish that I did go through an agent but everything seems correct on the form and I wouldn't say im a stupid guy! 

How long has it been?

If there was anything wrong with your application you’d hear about it. It’s just a waiting game for your application to hit the top of the pile

Just now, FirstWorldProblems said:

How long has it been?

If there was anything wrong with your application you’d hear about it. It’s just a waiting game for your application to hit the top of the pile

Would it be an instant decline or would it simply be - scan this in better etc etc?

9 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Would it be an instant decline or would it simply be - scan this in better etc etc?

Hi mate

I never used an agent and got a couple of things wrong, they just came back to me and asked to change it or upload something else.

They seemed to get straight back to me also and not put me at the back of the queue.

That may not happen with everyone but it did with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lavers said:

Hi mate

I never used an agent and got a couple of things wrong, they just came back to me and asked to change it or upload something else.

They seemed to get straight back to me also and not put me at the back of the queue.

That may not happen with everyone but it did with me.

Thats put me at ease now. I read somewhere they can just decline straight away. I was also worried id go to the back of the queue!

7 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Thats put me at ease now. I read somewhere they can just decline straight away. I was also worried id go to the back of the queue!

I heard that also, like I say though maybe it does but it didn’t with me.

I worried at every stage of submitting then the longer i didn’t hear anything the more I doubted myself haha.

Think it was only things I submitted for police reports that were wrong.

I just kept an eye on the immitracker 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a random one for this topic but in the process of the EOI and trying to piece together my overseas travel which is proving tricky as I travel a lot I am currently on 33 overseas trips in 10 years but concerned I have missed some or the dates aren’t exact. Has anyone encountered this at the EOI stage? 

it also requests my addresses since birth I am just away to be 35 so lived in a few addresses I have them all but not sure on all the exact dates I moved in and out of them all.  Will this also be a problem? 

1 minute ago, StevenP said:

Bit of a random one for this topic but in the process of the EOI and trying to piece together my overseas travel which is proving tricky as I travel a lot I am currently on 33 overseas trips in 10 years but concerned I have missed some or the dates aren’t exact. Has anyone encountered this at the EOI stage? 

it also requests my addresses since birth I am just away to be 35 so lived in a few addresses I have them all but not sure on all the exact dates I moved in and out of them all.  Will this also be a problem? 

I went on Google Photos which ive used for years and years to track all my dates over the last ten years. This was one of the hardest things on the EOI, and then to do it again for my wife!

Im sure the addresses wasnt all the way to birth and Im sure year will do?

I can only share my own experience.

I’m absolutely positive I didn’t submit all my travel.  I pieced together what I could from old passport stamps but I didn’t have access to any travel booking info for past employers.  I did about 6 work trips a year. No way I remembered then all and definitely not the right dates.

I did the best I could and no questions were asked. Visa was approved. 

• Like 1

Perfect thanks this has been a stress for me as prior to brexit you never got a stamp in your passport. I will keep digging to see what I can get in order to do my best. 

I knew they required a lot of info but this level has taken me a bit by surprise. 

thanks again guys 👌

9 minutes ago, StevenP said:

Perfect thanks this has been a stress for me as prior to brexit you never got a stamp in your passport. I will keep digging to see what I can get in order to do my best. 

I knew they required a lot of info but this level has taken me a bit by surprise. 

thanks again guys 👌

I think they want to know if you have been travelling to places like Yemen, Syria, Turkey etc to know what type of person you are

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StevenP said:

thanks again guys 👌

Yeah me too.  They don't make it easy.  After sitting down one weekend over the Christmas break to get my application started, I was disheartened to realise I'd spent 14 hours filling in the application (spouse visa) and collecting evidence and it felt like I wasn't half way through.  So I started noting down the time spent on it. 49 hours in total.    

Good luck to you.  Hope it works out well and goes smoothly

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Yeah me too.  They don't make it easy.  After sitting down one weekend over the Christmas break to get my application started, I was disheartened to realise I'd spent 14 hours filling in the application (spouse visa) and collecting evidence and it felt like I wasn't half way through.  So I started noting down the time spent on it. 49 hours in total.    

Good luck to you.  Hope it works out well and goes smoothly

We are the same every-time we think we are almost done something else needs done thankfully we have a great migration expert to keep us right. I guess they want to make it hard to make sure you want it.