Which school-Perth?

JayManx

Hi guys! 

I'm complaining my painting and decorating qualification and looking at relocating to Perth. 

I have a partner and two primary age boys. 

Im guessing we will be renting to start off. 

How did you guys go about finding a school in the same circumstances? 

My partner and I intent to go in to work straight away, pretty much. We may find a suburb that we like better closer to a different school and don't want to uproot the boys, twice in quich succession. 

Any advice or nice schools/suburbs to start researching is greatly appriciated. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jay

If you are only just completing your qualifications, then you may have a a couple of years yet before you can even apply for a visa. Most visas need you to get some work experience under your belt after you're qualified.

You should also check whether your qualifications will be recognised in Australia. In some trades, your qualification will be recognised to get you a visa, but once you arrive, it's only good enough to work as an apprentice/assistant.  If that's the case, you'll need to do a year working for someone else, at a lower wage, before you're recognised as qualified to set up in business on your own.  Daft, I know, but that's how it works.

Take a look at the suburb reviews on Homely.com.au to give you some idea of what suburbs are like.  Realestate.com.au will give you some idea of which suburbs you can afford.  

Hi Marisa, 

Thanks a lot for ml getting back to me. 

I've been NVQ2 qualified and decorating for 13 years. Just need to top up to level 3. 

My migration agent said this would be acceptable, its a City and Guilds Level 3, I really hope they will gain me a skilled visa! 

Quite happy to work for someone and prove my worth 🙂

Thanks for the links, they are exactly what I need 👍 

You are rather putting the cart before the horse but schools are going to be the least of your worries.  Most people get an airbnb for 4-8 weeks during which time they hope to pick up a rental for 6-12 months. Schools in Australia all have priority enrolment areas and students living within those areas are guaranteed a place whenever they rock up (the exception being if you choose to try for a temporary employer sponsored visa in which case schools cost you several thousands and if they are full you can be asked to go elsewhere).  So, rule of thumb, get a rental close to where you think you might be working, you can afford the rental, there are vacancies and you think you can stand the neighbours and the neighbourhood.  If you cant stand the neighbourhood then you wont want your kids in the local school.  Nobody is going to get their knickers in a knot if you dont get the kids to school for a few months while you get settled and nobody expects them to start at the beginning of the year or even the beginning of a term or week for that matter.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 06:58, Quoll said:

You are rather putting the cart before the horse but schools are going to be the least of your worries.  Most people get an airbnb for 4-8 weeks during which time they hope to pick up a rental for 6-12 months. Schools in Australia all have priority enrolment areas and students living within those areas are guaranteed a place whenever they rock up (the exception being if you choose to try for a temporary employer sponsored visa in which case schools cost you several thousands and if they are full you can be asked to go elsewhere).  So, rule of thumb, get a rental close to where you think you might be working, you can afford the rental, there are vacancies and you think you can stand the neighbours and the neighbourhood.  If you cant stand the neighbourhood then you wont want your kids in the local school.  Nobody is going to get their knickers in a knot if you dont get the kids to school for a few months while you get settled and nobody expects them to start at the beginning of the year or even the beginning of a term or week for that matter.

Ahh, I se. My thinking was that because it is expensive living that we should both get in to work ASAP but perhaps this isn't the best way to go about things. 

Thanks a lot for the advice, it will give me a different perspective on things 👍 

Jay

9 minutes ago, JayManx said:

Ahh, I se. My thinking was that because it is expensive living that we should both get in to work ASAP but perhaps this isn't the best way to go about things. 

Do remember that the unemployment rate in Australia is much the same as the UK.  Don't expect to walk into a job, you should budget to be unemployed for a few weeks while you look.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Do remember that the unemployment rate in Australia is much the same as the UK.  Don't expect to walk into a job, you should budget to be unemployed for a few weeks while you look.

The states suggest when they sponsor people that they should budget for 6 months without work. Bit extreme I would think but the employment process for some positions can certainly be lengthy (public service, case in point!)

• Like 1

Also your work experience only counts after qualification so if you get a level three you will have no points for experience.  Points mean prizes as higher points get selected to apply.  Can you get APL assessed instead? Talk to your agent about visa options and points. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quoll said:

The states suggest when they sponsor people that they should budget for 6 months without work. Bit extreme I would think but the employment process for some positions can certainly be lengthy (public service, case in point!)

It's a little while ago now, but I do know some migrants who had some difficulty in getting employment for around that period - luckily not both of the couple so that had one salary coming in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Also your work experience only counts after qualification so if you get a level three you will have no points for experience.  Points mean prizes as higher points get selected to apply.  Can you get APL assessed instead? Talk to your agent about visa options and points. 

Hi Rammygirl, 

I did say that to the migration agent and he seemed to think that the 13 years experience with a level 2 and then topping up would be sufficient. I'd be gutted if that wasn't the case 😔 

I'll look at the APL option, thanks. 

I'm lucky to know a couple of contacts in Perth for painting and decorating, from when I did a worki g holiday visa some years ago. The plan was to contact them, when things are more set in stone and reach out to others. 

I'm going to contact the migration agent to ensure that my 13 years previous experience and the level 3 will be sufficient. He did say it was.

The initial plan to get straight in to work was based on the visa quote of £20,000 and £3500 for my level 3. Six months living expenses on top of that means I won't be in Ozzy for dlsome time 😔 

9 hours ago, JayManx said:

I'm going to contact the migration agent to ensure that my 13 years previous experience and the level 3 will be sufficient. He did say it was.

The initial plan to get straight in to work was based on the visa quote of £20,000 and £3500 for my level 3. Six months living expenses on top of that means I won't be in Ozzy for dlsome time 😔 

Wow, where does the 20K come from?  I hope you got several quotes before you chose your agent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JayManx said:

I'm lucky to know a couple of contacts in Perth for painting and decorating, from when I did a worki g holiday visa some years ago. The plan was to contact them, when things are more set in stone and reach out to others. 

Hopefully that figure includes all the visa fees, medicals, etc as well as the agent's fee and a few bottles of champagne?!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JayManx said:

Get a second quote and opinion from one of the agents on here. 20k sounds like a very, very high number

• Like 2

The agent is one that my friend recommended after research, it did include medicals for the four of us, police checks, skillselect and anything else. 

What figure would you guys expect to pay and could you put me in the direction of any other agents please? 

Thanks for the help guys 👍 

6 hours ago, JayManx said:

The agent is one that my friend recommended after research, it did include medicals for the four of us, police checks, skillselect and anything else. 

What figure would you guys expect to pay and could you put me in the direction of any other agents please? 

Thanks for the help guys 👍 

Still seems really high, ours was £9.5k all in for 3 people, all adults (as our kid turned 18 while in process).

We also paid for expedited skills assessments and some very expensive police checks as we had lived in Canada, US and two other countries as well as the UK in the last ten years.

I think someone is taking their Christmas bonus early at your expense if that £20k is correct. Most agents charge around £2k to £2.5k for their part in the process so if yours is charging much more than that for their work then you should switch and quickly 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayManx said:

Thanks guys, I'm looking in to various agents and their prices. 

Could anyone please explain how I'd go about permanent residency please? 

As has been suggested, I think your best option is to reach out to one of the agents that post on this forum.  They all seem to be highly regarded.  They will tell you how you go about it, whether you are likely to succeed and will do the entire application for you if you want them to.  You can get the full package or just advice.  Worth paying for as this is a huge commitment and it sounds like your family very much want it.  Why risk something so important when you have experts that will give you the best chance of success.  Best of luck.

On 19/07/2022 at 23:18, JayManx said:

Thanks guys, I'm looking in to various agents and their prices. 

Could anyone please explain how I'd go about permanent residency please? 

It's tough and competitive.  Basically, applying for the visa is like applying for a job.  Even if you have all the qualifications and experience they want, you still aren't guaranteed to get the job -- because you're up against hundreds of other applicants, all with the same qualifications as you.   It's not first come, first served:  Immigration looks at all the applications and cherry-picks the best few.  The rest get rejected. 

That's why we're cautious about your qualifications/experience.  No one is doubting you've got the skills to do the job, but who will you be up against?  Immigration doesn't understand your occupation, they just go with what they can see on paper. 

It's also why so many people end up going for lesser visas like a temporary contract (482) or a provisional visa (like the 491), because there's less competition.  The problem with those visas, if you have a family, is that they're only temporary. You might uproot your family and move them halfway across the world, only to find you've got to move back again in a few years, costing you thousands of pounds -- so you end up back where you started, but broke.  It does work out for some people but you need to be sure you fully understand the risks and make sure you can afford it.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for all of the responses guys, definitely helps me out. I'm goinv to be liaising with agents as soon as my level 3 is done. 

If I've got to wait three years, then so be it. I don't think three years, in the grand scheme of things is that long.

If I get advised that I can do it earlier, I've got to go for it. 

Just out of curiosity, how long are the Ielets, medicals and background checks valid for? 

If I can get these done earlier and they stay valid then I'll at least it gets the ball rolling. 

. Once again, thanks 👍 

6 minutes ago, JayManx said:

Thanks a lot for all of the responses guys, definitely helps me out. I'm goinv to be liaising with agents as soon as my level 3 is done. 

If I've got to wait three years, then so be it. I don't think three years, in the grand scheme of things is that long.

Just out of curiosity, how long are the Ielets, medicals and background checks valid for? 

If I can get these done earlier and they stay valid then I'll at least it gets the ball rolling. 

. Once again, thanks 👍 

Medical and police checks must be less than 12 months old when the visa is granted. 

The other advantage of waiting 3 years is that it gives you time to save up. Starting again in a new country is Expensive with a capital E !

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 22:38, JayManx said:

. Once again, thanks 👍 

I'm intrigued by the quotes you have got from other agents. Any come through yet?