Should I move back to the UK?

LO_in_aus

I really need some advice. I've been living in Australia for almost five years now, and while I love my life here (I live right on the beach in Manly), I'm so restricted due to my ongoing visa issues.

My occupation is only eligible for the temporary skilled shortage visa route, meaning my employer renews it every two years and there's no path to permanent residency. As a result, I'm stuck with the same employer and in the same occupation (recruitment) which is making me miserable.

I only got into recruitment in the first place to get a visa. Back in the UK I used to work in Journalism and Public Relations which I loved but I couldn't get sponsored in it out here, so I fell into recruitment which isn't for me at all. I'd love to go back into Communications but I'm trapped.

I'd also love to do more travelling, buy a house, get a dog etc, all of which I can't do because I'm in constant limbo because of my visa.

I am thinking of going back to the UK in December, before doing 6 months of backpacking across Central America (Covid permitting) and building a copywriting portfolio while I'm out there so I can try and get a job in communications when I get back to the UK.

This plan really excites me as I can't go on like this. I also really miss my friends and family, I have really struggled making friends out here and have very little support network. But on the other hand I'm so so scared of regretting it and missing Australia as I do love it here, but can't deal with the lack of freedom anymore, I need to move on with my life. What should I do?

If you love your life here i would stay if it was me. Lots of people are in jobs they don't love but compartmentalise it as a necessary evil. People work to live not live to work.

Living on the beach in Manly would be amazing and i wouldn't want to leave if i could avoid it.

Up to you of course.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LO_in_aus said:

I really need some advice. I've been living in Australia for almost five years now, and while I love my life here (I live right on the beach in Manly), I'm so restricted due to my ongoing visa issues.

My occupation is only eligible for the temporary skilled shortage visa route, meaning my employer renews it every two years and there's no path to permanent residency. As a result, I'm stuck with the same employer and in the same occupation (recruitment) which is making me miserable.

I only got into recruitment in the first place to get a visa. Back in the UK I used to work in Journalism and Public Relations which I loved but I couldn't get sponsored in it out here, so I fell into recruitment which isn't for me at all. I'd love to go back into Communications but I'm trapped.

I'd also love to do more travelling, buy a house, get a dog etc, all of which I can't do because I'm in constant limbo because of my visa.

I am thinking of going back to the UK in December, before doing 6 months of backpacking across Central America (Covid permitting) and building a copywriting portfolio while I'm out there so I can try and get a job in communications when I get back to the UK.

This plan really excites me as I can't go on like this. I also really miss my friends and family, I have really struggled making friends out here and have very little support network. But on the other hand I'm so so scared of regretting it and missing Australia as I do love it here, but can't deal with the lack of freedom anymore, I need to move on with my life. What should I do?

Join Manly surf club.

11 hours ago, LO_in_aus said:

I've been living in Australia for almost five years now, and while I love my life here (I live right on the beach in Manly), I'm so restricted due to my ongoing visa issues.

My occupation is only eligible for the temporary skilled shortage visa

You may find your decision will be made for you, because employers can't just keep renewing a temp visa every two years.  I think the government has been lenient during Covid but that will change. 

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You may find your decision will be made for you, because employers can't just keep renewing a temp visa every two years.  I think the government has been lenient during Covid but that will change. 

If this is the case I would probably enjoy every minute of the remaining Visa, then you will know you did everything you could while you were in Australia!

• Thanks 1

I think you need to ask yourself what makes you say you ‘really love it  there’ you are in a job you hate and know you could be in a job you love elsewhere.  You miss friends and have struggled to make any there.  You have the constant worry about your visa and know your time there is running out.  You long to travel etc but can’t whilst there.  

You are living in a beautiful area but that isn’t enough to make someone happy.  If you’re sure you are really happy then stay and make the most of the time you have left there.  If you’re not super happy and loving life make the move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this is an extremely hard decision but by the sounds of it you already know your answer.
It is very hard to let something go when you hold such fond memories and enjoy it but it doesn’t mean that it’s the best for you and by the sounds of it you’re not at your happiest and living your best life, well maybe not anymore where you are. 
Remember…every new beginning comes from another beginning end, it’s just part of your beautiful journey 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2021 at 23:22, LO_in_aus said:

I have no idea if this will help, but read the post on the temporary visa thread, about changes to temporary visas? 

Wish you all the best

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/08/2021 at 17:53, Tulip1 said:

I think you need to ask yourself what makes you say you ‘really love it  there’ you are in a job you hate and know you could be in a job you love elsewhere.  You miss friends and have struggled to make any there.  You have the constant worry about your visa and know your time there is running out.  You long to travel etc but can’t whilst there.  

You are living in a beautiful area but that isn’t enough to make someone happy.  If you’re sure you are really happy then stay and make the most of the time you have left there.  If you’re not super happy and loving life make the move. 

Thanks so much. This is very true and I hadn't thought of it from this perspective. There's more to life than nice weather and good beaches.

I decided to take the plunge and I'm moving home in 3 weeks. Eek!

On 11/08/2021 at 09:17, Chortlepuss said:

You said it - you need to get on with life. If there’s no route to PR, then enjoy the time you have left here and go ahead with your plans. Life is too short to do a job you hate if (by the sounds of it) you know what you would enjoy. Good luck! 

Thanks so much. This is the decision I came to, I'm moving home in 3 weeks eek. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

• Like 2

On 10/08/2021 at 18:49, Haggis said:

I know this is an extremely hard decision but by the sounds of it you already know your answer.
It is very hard to let something go when you hold such fond memories and enjoy it but it doesn’t mean that it’s the best for you and by the sounds of it you’re not at your happiest and living your best life, well maybe not anymore where you are. 
Remember…every new beginning comes from another beginning end, it’s just part of your beautiful journey 🙂

Thank you so much! This is so reassuring. We're moving home in 3 weeks , terrifying but I know we're doing the right thing.