Off Grid Living

HappyHeart

Do any PIO members have any experience of longer term off grid life? There are lots of differences of opinion about what going 'off-grid' means. I'm thinking along the lines of being non reliant on services (water, mains electricity and gas) Being as self sufficient as possible. Growing your own food or being involved in a community sgaring scheme. Living a frugal life and aiming to reduce waste, reduce consumption of goods, reuse, recycle etc. 

Anyone else interested? 

15 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Do any PIO members have any experience of longer term off grid life? There are lots of differences of opinion about what going 'off-grid' means. I'm thinking along the lines of being non reliant on services (water, mains electricity and gas) Being as self sufficient as possible. Growing your own food or being involved in a community sgaring scheme. Living a frugal life and aiming to reduce waste, reduce consumption of goods, reuse, recycle etc. 

Anyone else interested? 

Ben fogle does an excellent series, new life in the wild, with people round the world doing various levels of off grid.

It has always appealled. But those that do it seem to have had a wad of cash before they started, often from a high pressure job.

I think I'd like it. I don't really like people who aren't in my family, and some of my family I only just tolerate, so I'm probably suited to it. I'm getting the feeling that the world is leaving me behind. I'm left of centre, but I am struggling to keep up with the wokeness and cancel culture. Everything is changing too fast.

Maybe I'm too old for modern society and I should just drop out? 

Only trouble is, the wife doesn't do camping, so it would have to be quite high spec.

• Like 2

I was brought up on a fairly isolated farm that was off grid.  That was a long, long time ago though.  In later years I often wondered how my poor Mum coped.  She was a town girl used to all the facilities.  It must have been quite difficult for her.  Different now with solar and things like that.  I honestly couldn't do it now but you are a good bit younger than me and as long as you are keen and you know what you are getting into it should be OK.  There are a few people in Tassie living off grid.

• Like 3

My son did, for about 10 years - built two houses in the bush, one wood and tin and then one mud bags.  Shot and butchered his own roo and deer, water pumped up from the stream, a couple of tiny solar panels, planted a large garden with veg and fruit trees.  Kids were home unschooled (with disastrous consequences), they drove old cars and worked cash in hand - often my son would get work shooting vermin for farmers, or he would do anything he put his hand to (so much for the medical scholarship he won!!!).  Fortunately (as it turned out) within 8 months of moving into the mud brick house a bushfire burned them out totally and eventually they returned to city living where their kids now actually go to school (relationship bit the dust shortly after the bushfire).

Would he do it again? - probably, but he would build an underground house ( we try and deter him) and has all sorts of other refinements that he thinks he has learned en route (bit Walter Mitty our son).  It was also my DH's aspiration for our retirement which caused some dissent between us because my retirement was supposed to be 6/6 UK/Aus!!!  We got it sorted though and the DH no longer has such aspirations, especially since the son got burned out and DH also realises that when you are knocking on a bit you move towards services not away from them.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Toots said:

I was brought up on a fairly isolated farm that was off grid.  That was a long, long time ago though.  In later years I often wondered how my poor Mum coped.  She was a town girl used to all the facilities.  It must have been quite difficult for her.  Different now with solar and things like that.  I honestly couldn't do it now but you are a good bit younger than me and as long as you are keen and you know what you are getting into it should be OK.  There are a few people in Tassie living off grid.

We will.have a mains electricity collection (impossible to avoid initially) but aim to not use and build our solar into a self sufficient system over time. We're off mains water but so are a lot of people in the country. Gas bottles. So it's not like the old days really. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quoll said:

My son did, for about 10 years - built two houses in the bush, one wood and tin and then one mud bags.  Shot and butchered his own roo and deer, water pumped up from the stream, a couple of tiny solar panels, planted a large garden with veg and fruit trees.  Kids were home unschooled (with disastrous consequences), they drove old cars and worked cash in hand - often my son would get work shooting vermin for farmers, or he would do anything he put his hand to (so much for the medical scholarship he won!!!).  Fortunately (as it turned out) within 8 months of moving into the mud brick house a bushfire burned them out totally and eventually they returned to city living where their kids now actually go to school (relationship bit the dust shortly after the bushfire).

Would he do it again? - probably, but he would build an underground house ( we try and deter him) and has all sorts of other refinements that he thinks he has learned en route (bit Walter Mitty our son).  It was also my DH's aspiration for our retirement which caused some dissent between us because my retirement was supposed to be 6/6 UK/Aus!!!  We got it sorted though and the DH no longer has such aspirations, especially since the son got burned out and DH also realises that when you are knocking on a bit you move towards services not away from them.

Thanks Quoll. We won't be far from town so not really a big problem as we age...however that's why we are doing it sooner rather than later as we edge closer towards our 50s as I've seen others move back to be closer to hospitals...what a drag. I think I'd rather sit tight and hope for the best. 

Here in the South West of WA there is a really exciting project called Witchcliffe Eco Village. It's really taking off. I'm sure there are others across Australia. It's kind of the new model of off grid, encouraging community, self sustainability and shared resources. 

• Like 1

We do grow some of our own fruit and vegetables. I've got pear, apple, plum and cherry and blue berries. Only the blue berries are cropping as the others are too young. We have a lot of tomatoes of many different varieties. I grow lettuce on the window sills and chillies. Plus most herbs. Parsnips. I would like to do it larger scale. We have friends who grow most of their own veg. But they have larger gardens with green houses.

Funny, the cherry tomatoes I saved seeds from last year haven't bred true. They are more plum sized. Still, you live and learn. Must have been hybrids.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Thanks Quoll. We won't be far from town so not really a big problem as we age...however that's why we are doing it sooner rather than later as we edge closer towards our 50s as I've seen others move back to be closer to hospitals...what a drag. I think I'd rather sit tight and hope for the best. 

Here in the South West of WA there is a really exciting project called Witchcliffe Eco Village. It's really taking off. I'm sure there are others across Australia. It's kind of the new model of off grid, encouraging community, self sustainability and shared resources. 

Good luck! Can’t say it would float my boat! When discussing with the DH about his aspirations for a self sufficient 40 acre block I did specify that my non budge baseline expectations were an inside flush loo and broadband with a good local coffee shop a close third.  Unless you’re more than an hour away along an unsealed road from a tiny hamlet with a basic stock convenience store I don’t think you’re going to be off grid much LOL.  The DS set up on what was a 1960s Co-op and which had all the aspirations of your eco village back in the day I suspect. There are still a few who hang on, growing their own “tobacco”, brewing their own hooch and generally not really being very productive in the wider sense but it was where the ex grew up and they hoped to lead the way with young families - the world has moved on since the 60s though and thank heavens other young families see the benefits of education for their kids at least. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

We will.have a mains electricity collection (impossible to avoid initially) but aim to not use and build our solar into a self sufficient system over time. We're off mains water but so are a lot of people in the country. Gas bottles. So it's not like the old days really. 

We don't even have solar and unless they start giving it away free we won't be getting it. The more people that go "off grid" the more the electricity companies have to spend on technology to keep the grid reliable, because of the "dirty" electricity being fed in from peoples solar panels.

You can buy an awful lot of electricity for the cost of a solar installation and no worries about maintaing your own gear.

As we get older we love that we have a very good IGA across the road that has great veggies and everything else we need. Water and gas always reliable and there when you turn it on, with no worries about maintaining our own equipment. For the price and quality of veggies I couldn't be bothered to grow my own.

We do the right thing with recycling what we can and try not to use much plastic.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Yeh, there's a few hippy, alternative types down there, in fact there's plenty in Freo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yeh, there's a few hippy, alternative types down there, in fact there's plenty in Freo.

Not so many alternatives as decades back. Reason cost. I recall when Denmark had an alternative vibe. before 'alternative' became just another money milking machine. Most likely unaffordable to hippy drop outs. But there was a somewhat successful eco run free spirited enterprise in the eighties,(in Denmark)  but the name escapes me. I do recall a number of attempts ended in failure with people not pulling together and personal choices getting in the way. 

Freo again nothing like it was a few decades back. When it was home to the Orange People , lots of alternatives visible and a more 'hippy type ambiance' . More homeless and drug impacted people these days. Still some degree of some holding out, but fewer as time goes on sadly. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Good luck with your Witchcliffe Eco move. There's been a few over time set up down South. Most folded up in time. Sometimes people pulling in different directions fracturing the harmony as I understand. One I recall in the Denmark area seemed a great idea last century. I had in my possession a book on the sustainable alternative setups in that region, Hopefully  some time will dig it out. I'd be very interested for one, to see how it materializes . The inner hippy in me applauds such a move. Hope the reality lives up to expectations. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Good luck with your Witchcliffe Eco move. There's been a few over time set up down South. Most folded up in time. Sometimes people pulling in different directions fracturing the harmony as I understand. One I recall in the Denmark area seemed a great idea last century. I had in my possession a book on the sustainable alternative setups in that region, Hopefully  some time will dig it out. I'd be very interested for one, to see how it materializes . The inner hippy in me applauds such a move. Hope the reality lives up to expectations. 

We’re not moving to the eco village. Not too far from there though. We’re on our own small block. 

• Like 2

Our friends in the sunshine coast (also from Yorkshire) have an absolutely amazing off grid setup that he built up himself, he retired in his early 40's partly because he could afford it and partly because he worked away 6 months per year on ships and it was becoming challenging for his wife alone. They have got the solar, large fresh water tanks, fruit, veg, chickens etc and live very comfortably. However, with the animals and fruit/veg they struggle to leave the house for more than a day at a time (no holidays), but having spent his career travelling the world staying put suits him. 
 From what I see, it can be an amazing lifestyle if you make it work for you, but it can also be hard work. 

• Like 4

On 11/07/2021 at 09:04, newjez said:

Ben fogle does an excellent series, new life in the wild, with people round the world doing various levels of off grid.

It has always appealled. But those that do it seem to have had a wad of cash before they started, often from a high pressure job.

I think I'd like it. I don't really like people who aren't in my family, and some of my family I only just tolerate, so I'm probably suited to it. I'm getting the feeling that the world is leaving me behind. I'm left of centre, but I am struggling to keep up with the wokeness and cancel culture. Everything is changing too fast.

Only trouble is, the wife doesn't do camping, so it would have to be quite high spec.

It’s not for me but I love watching Ben Fogle’s new life in the wild.  Very interesting and he is great.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2021 at 17:43, HappyHeart said:

Do any PIO members have any experience of longer term off grid life?

I did for 6 years (from 1979)  in north west Tasmania - except we weren't off grid for electricity.  I can't even remember solar panels being available here then - not for  residential purchase  anyway.  However we didn't use much electricity:   all the cooking, hot water and central heating was fuelled by a wood fired kitchen stove  (similar to an Aga).

Being self sufficient in food involves a lot of hard work.  The most important factor  is having a reliable, plentiful source of water.  For that you either need several  humongous, expensive rain water tanks or a water source on the property - preferably gravity fed.  It's amazing the number of problems  water pumps can dream up for themselves.  🙄

There were quite a few people living completely off grid in Tassie at the time - even more now - either independently or in small informal communities.  The oldest of these is probably  Lorinna, inland in northwestern Tassie, which has existed since the 1970s.  

https://goodlifepermaculture.com.au/lorinna/

• Like 3

On 11/07/2021 at 16:04, newjez said:

I was in the Augusta Adventure race about 4 years ago and Ben Fogle was competing and making a documentary. He had quite a few camera crew hanging around for each leg.

There must be some video around somewhere I'll have to check.

17 hours ago, CaptainR said:

Our friends in the sunshine coast (also from Yorkshire) have an absolutely amazing off grid setup that he built up himself, he retired in his early 40's partly because he could afford it and partly because he worked away 6 months per year on ships and it was becoming challenging for his wife alone. They have got the solar, large fresh water tanks, fruit, veg, chickens etc and live very comfortably. However, with the animals and fruit/veg they struggle to leave the house for more than a day at a time (no holidays), but having spent his career travelling the world staying put suits him. 
 From what I see, it can be an amazing lifestyle if you make it work for you, but it can also be hard work. 

That's the problem, the "hard work". I retired because I wanted more free time, not to be working on the house or worrying about whether my off grid equipment is up to scratch.

Same with farmers and TBH a lot of people who are self employed. Very few seem to have time for holidays and if they broke down the money they earn to an hourly rate their hourly rate would be shocking I reckon.

• Like 3

On 11/07/2021 at 16:04, newjez said:

That's why I prefaced my post with 

Peoples ideas of being off grid vary. The purists wouldn't entertain an internet connection but the realists understand it's essential for most. That's just one aspect. 

I'm not talking about raising and killing our own meat, just 'some' veggies, eggs etc. 

The community we are moving to is quite progressive and there is an shire requirement/ expectation that our home is built to solar passive principles and makes use of sustainable energy. 

Plenty of people live without mains electric and water. We've got to start somewhere. This reliance on convenience and abundance is killing the planet. 

High spec off grid as a starting point. 

• Like 2

On 11/07/2021 at 17:25, Quoll said:

Your son sounds like a legend. A lot more interesting than the average Joe. Very sad that his dream went up in smoke. The risk of more rural living. Fortunately our BAL is pretty low due to our location.

39 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Your son sounds like a legend. A lot more interesting than the average Joe. Very sad that his dream went up in smoke. The risk of more rural living. Fortunately our BAL is pretty low due to our location.

Nah, he's an idiot. A very resourceful and practical idiot but an idiot nonetheless. 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in an  8'x6' tent for  2 years, out from Broome, WA. I was in a MRD camp, building a road from Broome, towards Derby. 1964-66. No phones, tv or any comforts of life. It is chronicled in 'Reminiscing'. Indeed, there was no tv in the whole of the Kimberlies in those days.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

Bugga! just noticed the error I made, it was a 10'x8' tent. A palatial abode, indeed, compared to an 8x6...

I had an old orange box to house my toiletry and book; clothes were hung from the main beam, (the tent was supported on a tubular frame).

Cheers, Bobj.