Flights to Australia - reliability?

ADM21

23 minutes ago, SoniaG said:

I really hope this happens. Fingers crossed. Also, am interested to know how the vaccination verification will be done. I am fully vaccinated(AZ) and have a certificate as well. Will that be enough or is there some portal that I need to upload this for the Aus gov to verify? 

Yes I wondered about this too. How will UK vaccinations get logged in Australia. And also, we likely were vaccinated earlier then most Australians, so how do we ensure we stay protected long enough, will boosters be offered based on the date of your last vaccination dose, regardless of which country you had it in, etc? 

1 hour ago, SoniaG said:

I really hope this happens. Fingers crossed. Also, am interested to know how the vaccination verification will be done. I am fully vaccinated(AZ) and have a certificate as well. Will that be enough or is there some portal that I need to upload this for the Aus gov to verify? 

I guess they'll work that out closer to the time. Might just be something on your phone.

You should be fine though, double AZ very acceptable.

2 hours ago, bicek said:

Yes I wondered about this too. How will UK vaccinations get logged in Australia. And also, we likely were vaccinated earlier then most Australians, so how do we ensure we stay protected long enough, will boosters be offered based on the date of your last vaccination dose, regardless of which country you had it in, etc? 

There is no booster programme in Australia at the moment, for anyone. The advisory body has suggested older and higher risk people may require boosters but there haven’t been any decisions or plans announced yet. I would imagine people arriving with PR would be given the same options as those already living here. Earlier in the year it was suggested moderna would be used for the future booster programme, but don’t expect any announcements on that until the end of the year.

Current evidence seems to suggest protection against infection reduces slightly over time, but protection against serious illness and death remains very high with all approved vaccines.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

There is no booster programme in Australia at the moment, for anyone. The advisory body has suggested older and higher risk people may require boosters but there haven’t been any decisions or plans announced yet. I would imagine people arriving with PR would be given the same options as those already living here. Earlier in the year it was suggested moderna would be used for the future booster programme, but don’t expect any announcements on that until the end of the year.

Current evidence seems to suggest protection against infection reduces slightly over time, but protection against serious illness and death remains very high with all approved vaccines.

Yep, I'm aware there's currently nothing in place for boosters. My comment was hypothetical in a scenario where there is. Hopefully as you say there isn't a huge need for it except for the most vulnerable. Only time will tell in terms of the longevity of vaccines. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SoniaG said:

There's always been a system whereby children's overseas vaccinations are uploaded on to the Australian vaccination register (had to have this done for our son way back in 2012) and it's the same Australian vaccination register that Covid jabs are recorded on, so in theory it shouldn't be difficult - but I've no idea what's happening in practice.

6 minutes ago, Ken said:

There's always been a system whereby children's overseas vaccinations are uploaded on to the Australian vaccination register (had to have this done for our son way back in 2012) and it's the same Australian vaccination register that Covid jabs are recorded on, so in theory it shouldn't be difficult - but I've no idea what's happening in practice.

I've looked into this and you can transfer your vaccination history over to the medicare AIR system. You should find some helpful info online with a quick Google. Just sorting my medicare out then will do this myself shortly. 

22 hours ago, Ken said:

With children you just rock up to your GP and they will enter the information into the government system.  I'd imagine it would work in a similar way with Covid vaccines, as long as the ones you had have been approved in Australia.

Edited by rtritudr

On 25/09/2021 at 11:51, MacGyver said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out towards the end of the year. The federal government seem keen to open international borders (for residents at least), while several states seem keen to remain closed for longer (Qld, WA etc). I think it will be very difficult politically for state premiers to resist opening up when 80% of their electorate are double vaxxed.

I doubt they would be so forceful, but What happens if the federal government just opens international borders and allows Qantas etc to start landing planes full of passengers in Qld and WA? Are state premiers legally permitted to prevent this (I thought not as international borders are federally managed)? If not, they might have to just roll with the punches and manage the arrivals as best they can.

The thing is Scomo is just saying 80%, that could just mean a few things: 80% of Adults, 80% over12s or 80% of the population and could relate to the country overall or when all states reach this threshold.

We could see 80% of adults in Australia overall but only 60% in some of the states and the border being opened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welljock said:

The thing is Scomo is just saying 80%, that could just mean a few things: 80% of Adults, 80% over12s or 80% of the population and could relate to the country overall or when all states reach this threshold.

We could see 80% of adults in Australia overall but only 60% in some of the states and the border being opened.

It is pretty clear in the National Plan what it means.

4 hours ago, welljock said:

The thing is Scomo is just saying 80%, that could just mean a few things: 80% of Adults, 80% over12s or 80% of the population and could relate to the country overall or when all states reach this threshold.

It's none of the above. It's 80% of over 16s and (although it is a national plan) applies separately in each jurisdiction (for which you can read state or territory) when they have met or exceeded the target. And yes, that does mean international travel might be allowed for NSW months before it is allowed for WA.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

It's none of the above. It's 80% of over 16s and (although it is a national plan) applies separately in each jurisdiction (for which you can read state or territory) when they have met or exceeded the target. And yes, that does mean international travel might be allowed for NSW months before it is allowed for WA.

As reflected in the present Qantas plans to not restart the London to Perth direct until March I think.

Hi all, not sure if anyone posted this one already but there is hope that the quarantine will move to the 7days home one at some point . 🤞🤞🤞

good luck to you guys during the quarantine now. 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/opening-of-international-borders-and-home-quarantine-for-fully-vaxxed-aussies-announced/news-story/46db268a8a7482fcf4d381388fb33cb2

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.02.2021 at 02:51, Chocci said:

Hi @ADM21 We have just started looking at flights as well though we're not planning to leave until September.  We are considering Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Asiana Airlines (if they restart flights from UK).  We also have points to redeem on British Airways but only enough to get us to Asia so that probably isn't an option (assuming we'd have to fly into Australia with minimal transit). 

From what I can tell, if our flights are cancelled, we may have to pay additional fee for the next flight if there's an increase in price.  

There's a Facebook group called "Australians Stuck Around the World" which has a lot of Australians sharing their experiences on cancellations.  You can also register with the DFAT website your intention to return home (if you haven't already).  If they run repatriation flights and have spaces,, you may be offered one (at commercial prices) if your flight is cancelled. Good luck! 

Hi @Чоччи, thank you very much for your narrated experience. Please share a link to this group "Australians Stick Around the World", there are many similar ones, and many are spam

Good afternoon, @Anna Mat! It seems to me that this will not happen, because at the moment it is not profitable for anyone. Enterprises will stop their work again and there will be nothing to sell, respectively, the country will not be paid tax, but how can it be without tax. Many representatives of the authorities do not want to lose money. Just like Putin, everyone wants to complete their palaces that we don't know about.