Are we mad... lol

Cots

6 hours ago, Parley said:

If it is first time buying in Australia then things like First Home Buyer discounts and other incentives might be available also when buying.

We used our first time buyer status when we bought our house the first time around. I’ve done a few calculations and if we get the right price for our house here then maybe we could buy again but maybe something a little smaller than we’d like and work up. Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

When you ask for advice on a forum you may get someone say something you don’t really like.  That often happens but when you reply with a negative response like you have it will put people off trying to help.  You said in your post that you wouldn’t be able to get a mortgage yet you’ve just said you are two very employable people. Maybe the person who made the comment took what you said at first as it may be a big struggle for you and was wanting to warm you off taking the reap. Their response was quite to the point  I agree but not rude. Your response was rude. If you want help from strangers then it’s best to be pleasant.  

20 minutes ago, Cots said:

Why was it rude? I said I find it strange that people think they know other people from a couple of paragraphs. The person said we were acting on a whim?? Is that not a little presumptuous? I feel it was a little rude to say such a thing, I sure was asking for advice but it’s really interesting what people are prepared to offer.

I do rather agree with Cots.

1. The OP did state that they have their RRV valid till August, so the response implies that the post was not read correctly.

2 & 3 it’s possibly ok to give advice, but is it anyone else’s business to question the OPs personal circumstances, to basically tell them that they haven’t thought the potential return to Australia through

As a very long-standing member of PIO it’s increasingly noticeable on PIO that there is a growing trend to be so negative in replies to a post, yes point out some potential negatives,  but it’s out of order just how many posters think they have the right to almost tell posters it’s not worth it. That’s the OPs right to decide.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cots said:

We used our first time buyer status when we bought our house the first time around. I’ve done a few calculations and if we get the right price for our house here then maybe we could buy again but maybe something a little smaller than we’d like and work up. Fingers crossed 🤞 

There are many places still very affordable to buy without moving into a shoe box, especially if your willing to be half an hour plus from the coast. Dont let the negative replies put you off, sometimes its good to know the negative opinions although i do agree that sometimes members read between the lines and dont always get it right.

In your professions you shouldn't have an issue finding work, a good tradie is hard to come by of late and many places are booming on the building front. You certainly will not be the first member to ping pong so go for it if you are all on board about the move but as i said in my earlier post start looking at flights asap.

Cal x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramot said:

1 hour ago, ramot said:
  2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

When you ask for advice on a forum you may get someone say something you don’t really like.  That often happens but when you reply with a negative response like you have it will put people off trying to help.  You said in your post that you wouldn’t be able to get a mortgage yet you’ve just said you are two very employable people. Maybe the person who made the comment took what you said at first as it may be a big struggle for you and was wanting to warm you off taking the reap. Their response was quite to the point  I agree but not rude. Your response was rude. If you want help from strangers then it’s best to be pleasant.  

1 hour ago, Cots said:

Why was it rude? I said I find it strange that people think they know other people from a couple of paragraphs. The person said we were acting on a whim?? Is that not a little presumptuous? I feel it was a little rude to say such a thing, I sure was asking for advice but it’s really interesting what people are prepared to offer.

I do rather agree with Cots.

1. The OP did state that they have their RRV valid till August, so the response implies that the post was not read correctly.

2 & 3 it’s possibly ok to give advice, but is it anyone else’s business to question the OPs personal circumstances, to basically tell them that they haven’t thought the potential return to Australia through

As a very long-standing member of PIO it’s increasingly noticeable on PIO that there is a growing trend to be so negative in replies to a post, yes point out some potential negatives,  but it’s out of order just how many posters think they have the right to almost tell posters it’s not worth it. That’s the OPs right to decide.

Thank you for your support. I definitely agree about the negative comments: I did think twice about posting here having read some of the other posts but I went for it anyway 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cots said:

Thank you for your support. I definitely agree about the negative comments: I did think twice about posting here having read some of the other posts but I went for it anyway 🙂

Remember, 99.99% of successful migrants don’t even know that forums like this exist.  If they did they’re too busy enjoying life in Australia to bother with joining and posting.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramot said:

The OP asked for opinions/advice on whether moving was the right thing for them. The responder did get it wrong about the visa renewal as that wasn’t an issue but likely just an error in the reading.  They did go on to provide some useful things to think about stating they could be out of work for months which would eat into their savings and questioned whether them giving up financial security and employment was worth it. Yes they said they could be thinking about this on a whim but I reckon many possibly would in the current environment so maybe they just thought it a good idea for the OP to really ask themselves why. They even apologised for their thoughts saying ‘sorry this sounds negative but........The OP responded with....

you have no idea and thank goodness I’ll take no notice of you.

In my world that comes across as a tad rude but I appreciate we are all different. I’d think it unlikely to be described by most as pleasant and charming though.   Even if the OP didn’t like the comments, they had asked for views and that’s what they got. If they thought the response was pants and the persons opinions unworthy and crap they should have just ignored them.  

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

The OP asked for opinions/advice on whether moving was the right thing for them. The responder did get it wrong about the visa renewal as that wasn’t an issue but likely just an error in the reading.  They did go on to provide some useful things to think about stating they could be out of work for months which would eat into their savings and questioned whether them giving up financial security and employment was worth it. Yes they said they could be thinking about this on a whim but I reckon many possibly would in the current environment so maybe they just thought it a good idea for the OP to really ask themselves why. They even apologised for their thoughts saying ‘sorry this sounds negative but........The OP responded with....

you have no idea and thank goodness I’ll take no notice of you.

In my world that comes across as a tad rude but I appreciate we are all different. I’d think it unlikely to be described by most as pleasant and charming though.   Even if the OP didn’t like the comments, they had asked for views and that’s what they got. If they thought the response was pants and the persons opinions unworthy and crap they should have just ignored them.  

The moral is that every poster should think long and hard before they post, and references as above eg they thought the response was pants unworthy and crap etc. which are not direct quotes only make matters worse.

Best for everyone to just calm down, don’t blow this out of proportion and let the OP decide after thinking about the advice that has been given to decide what is best for them as a family.

I wish them all the best, and won’t comment again on this thread.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

The moral is that every poster should think long and hard before they post, and references as above eg they thought the response was pants unworthy and crap etc. which are not direct quotes only make matters worse.

Best for everyone to just calm down, don’t blow this out of proportion and let the OP decide after thinking about the advice that has been given to decide what is best for them as a family.

I wish them all the best, and won’t comment again on this thread.

The point I was making is if they thought the response was below par and lets be honest they clearly did then they should have ignored it. They replied and that reply had a rude tone (in my opinion) I won’t comment on this again either and agree it’s best for everyone to calm down. 

11 hours ago, Cots said:

I'm glad you did. It's very important to get negative comments when you're proposing to migrate, it's part of the process.  We're all guilty of rose-coloured glasses when we look back on somewhere we've lived, it's fundamental human nature. So we all need other people to remind us of the downsides (and as you know, there are downsides to every country).   Those negative comments give you a chance to examine your reactions and make sure you're making the right decision. 

If you're able to read the negative comments, consider how they apply to you and reject them confidently (telling people they're rude if appropriate!), then it can give you increased confidence that you're on the right track, and migrating is the right thing to do.

If your reaction is upset and defensiveness, then that's usually a sign something has struck a chord - you know deep down that there's an element of truth there, and you don't want to even contemplate  it, in case it turns out they're right. 

Only you can decide which one applies to you.  If it's the second, then don't ignore that little voice.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I think we all know some people are just very negative people and it is very draining being around them.

We all know some people like this.

I would just ignore them if it were me as it is their personality talking not their experiences.

if you want real negativity go on the Tottenham Hotspur forums and FB pages!

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Nice to see Man Utd beat Southampton 9 Nil the other day. Although it doesn't make up for when they beat us in the FA Cup in 1976 i think it was.

Saints are my local side! I've been to the Dell far more times than White Hart Lane. 1976 yes. We Spurs fans are still raging about our pathetic performance at Brighton (They beat Liverpool at Anfield overnight too).

I take my mind off Spurs by engaging in mild (by comparison) sniping on PIO.

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Saints are my local side! I've been to the Dell far more times than White Hart Lane. 1976 yes. We Spurs fans are still raging about our pathetic performance at Brighton (They beat Liverpool at Anfield overnight too).

I take my mind off Spurs by engaging in mild (by comparison) sniping on PIO.

Think you lost 3-2.to my team in the league cup that season at white hart lane , wrexham by the way 😳

6 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Think you lost 3-2.to my team in the league cup that season at white hart lane , wrexham by the way 😳

I don't remember it although I would have been aware of it as I bought the newspaper every day  - the Daily Mail then. I Googled it; Found a nice photo.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-soccer-league-cup-third-round-tottenham-hotspur-v-wrexham-white-hart-107558898.html

• Like 1

I came to Australia on a temporary visa aged 43. My skills were on the demand list, so much so that my employer pushed for PR for me when I was too old - and I was lucky to get it. I had a great job and didn’t want to miss out on the chance to experience Australia. I understand why you would choose to come here if it is a ‘now or never’ option. In Australian terms, you’re cracking on a bit age-wise - I reckon I started experiencing age related discrimination by my late 40’s and it’s been a struggle in my 50’s (IT) to get work. I was offered my old job back in UK twice & did pop back for contracts! Rented in Brisbane for 10 years and found the process grim with many enforced moves due to ridiculous rent hikes or owners moving back in. Every rental we were in pushed the rent up at renewal. It was a struggle to get maintenance for urgent jobs (dangerous wiring, non closing windows etc) and minor repairs my hubby had to do. We now own a modest house and that has been life changing. It is fabulous not to constantly be moving. I brought my family out here and it’s been great for them - teaching, nursing I think a little easier here. If you have a solid retirement strategy and projected income then maybe it could work. But please factor in that you may not be super employable for ever because things can and might change. Australia is a very expensive country to live in if you’re not working or relying on UK income (e.g state pension).  I am stuck here now but pleased that my family have benefited from the move. If I was on my own I’d be heading home, despite Covid & BREXIT. Life is too short! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, we’re doing it, our house goes to court at the end of April, flights booked for early May, Qatar as recommended, the movers are booked and furniture is up for sale!

Will they put us 2 rooms st quarantine with there being 5 of us? Please say they will 😆!

• Like 6
  • Congratulations 1

5 hours ago, Cots said:

Well, we’re doing it, our house goes to court at the end of April, flights booked for early May, Qatar as recommended, the movers are booked and furniture is up for sale!

Will they put us 2 rooms st quarantine with there being 5 of us? Please say they will 😆!

I think you would get interconnecting rooms but you may need to ask for them. I am sure there is some procedure set up for larger families as you couldnt all squeeze into a 1 bed apartment.lol. (well not without driving each other insane!)

Lots of luck with everything and if you get bored in quarantine a thread on how you found the flight, transfer to quarantine etc would be interesting.

Cal x

5 hours ago, Cots said:

Hope you can afford the $5000 odd for your Quarantine.

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid-19/protect-yourself-others/quarantine/fees-payment

6 hours ago, Cots said:

Good luck! He/she who dares wins! I wouldn't worry too much about renting. We are paying $470/week which is about a quarter of my salary, and my wife works too. We have equity to buy a house, but prices here are now so inflated then I don't know if it makes financial sense, to be honest. Might be better to keep on renting and put the money into other investments. We are just looking into that at the moment.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Good luck! He/she who dares wins! I wouldn't worry too much about renting. We are paying $470/week which is about a quarter of my salary, and my wife works too. We have equity to buy a house, but prices here are now so inflated then I don't know if it makes financial sense, to be honest. Might be better to keep on renting and put the money into other investments. We are just looking into that at the moment.

What state are you in again?

10 hours ago, Cots said:

Might be better to try and squeeze into 1 room.

It looks like the fee will be about $8000 for 2 rooms and a family of 5.  1 room will probably be a bit over $5000.

It is a lot of money.

8 minutes ago, Cots said:

We can, thanks, sweet of you to be concerned 

I hope you aren't trying to be nasty when people are taking the time to look up valuable information for you.

I'm happy for you that you are not concerned about the cost of quarantine.