How best to get test??

Dorsetbrit

We are booked to fly on the 4th and an update on Singapore airlines says that flights from the UK can go ahead as passengers will remain on the aircraft. This means the flight may actually go after five cancellations! It’s just getting the test done. We have had COVID over the last week so pray this gets out of our system. We are on the south coast and can’t see any other way other than driving to Heathrow for a drive through 2 days before then drive back again to fly. Has anyone done the test to fly or have any better solutions. At this stage I’ll do whatever it takes! Thanks guys and keep fingers crossed for us it’s been a long wait. 

1 hour ago, Dorsetbrit said:

We are booked to fly on the 4th and an update on Singapore airlines says that flights from the UK can go ahead as passengers will remain on the aircraft. This means the flight may actually go after five cancellations! It’s just getting the test done. We have had COVID over the last week so pray this gets out of our system. We are on the south coast and can’t see any other way other than driving to Heathrow for a drive through 2 days before then drive back again to fly. Has anyone done the test to fly or have any better solutions. At this stage I’ll do whatever it takes! Thanks guys and keep fingers crossed for us it’s been a long wait. 

Good Luck, hope everything goes ahead, I'm returning at some point this year, still looking at flights, Singapore said they are not flying from Manchester so looking at Qatar or Emirates, its so disheartening with all the cancellations.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all x

It’s the trying to get our money back each time, Qantas took over 4 months and in the mean time we had to book more flights. This is the closest we have got to leaving and with what they put on the app today it is looking good for us but it’s costing us a ridicules amount of money that could of gone to months of rent or a new car. At this stage as long as the flight goes with us on it I don’t mind and don’t even mind the quarantine now!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

When did you get your positive reading? That’s your biggest worry I’d say as it may still show a positive reading when you get re tested before the flight. I’m not show how long it stays in positive mode. It would be good to try and find the answer to that so you can stop worrying. I can’t help re test centres but I’d just do that drive to Heathrow drive through unless any better suggestion comes along. Best of luck.  

Edited by Tulip1

6 hours ago, Lady Tottington said:

Good Luck, hope everything goes ahead, I'm returning at some point this year, still looking at flights, Singapore said they are not flying from Manchester so looking at Qatar or Emirates, its so disheartening with all the cancellations.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you all x

Are you returning for a holiday or to live Lady Tottington?

8 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Has your whole travelling group had covid? When did the last one of you get symptoms? You're flying close to the wire!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDougster said:

Has your whole travelling group had covid? When did the last one of you get symptoms? You're flying close to the wire!

Will you all  have finished self isolating for 14 days and have had a clear  test before you drive to Heathrow for another test?  

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

Will you all  have finished self isolating for 14 days and have had a clear  test before you drive to Heathrow for another test?  

The self isolation period bit is a good point although you don’t ever have a second test to show if it’s clear.  The self isolation after a positive test is considered long enough.  

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

There are two issues: Safety of travelling and Regulation for travelling.

You should be safe to travel if everyone you are going with had onset of symptoms over 10 days before your flight and are then completely recovered. If one of your party hasn't got symptoms yet then you're in trouble and I'd really think 14 days after onset is safer - this is why the isolation has stayed at 14 days.

From a regulation point of view my understanding is that you are only allowed to travel with a clear test within three days of the flight? I'm less sure about this. This may well prove difficult.

• Like 2

There is a drive though test centre at Gatwick as well, which might be quicker depending on where on the South Coast you are!

A quick google of pre-flight covid testing also showed a private clinic in Southampton.  Make sue they provide the right certificate.

Edited by Jon the Hat

Have you completed the Australia Health Declaration form ?

The same company that operates the drive through at Gatwick has a site at Southampton which might be closer for you.

I was nervous taking a PCR test knowing I would be negative as I had been shielding and not leaving home, so I dread to think how you must be feeling.  Have you started to look at alternate flights in case you come back as positive ?

Please do remember if any of the party you’re traveling with comes back as positive, none are permitted to travel.  

So quick update, flight has been cancelled but after some begging with Singapore airlines we have been provisionally put on a flight for the 8th of Feb just waiting for confirmation. Ive done a little research and chances are we will test positive after having the virus first detected 12-14 days ago and a little less for the wife. I read on the Australian website that you can test positive but have a doctors note to say its been more than 14 days since a positive test and has had no symptoms for at least 72 hours. I’m trying to find out that the airline is aware of this and what I need a doctors not to actually say. We are now on our 6th flight!

On 24/01/2021 at 21:24, Toots said:

Are you returning for a holiday or to live Lady Tottington?

We are returning to Oz permanently, I returned back of 2017 to UK because I really was home sick for my mum mainly, but in April 2020 my mum contracted Covid and died 6 days later so I have no ties here and my daughter is still in Australia.

2 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

So quick update, flight has been cancelled but after some begging with Singapore airlines we have been provisionally put on a flight for the 8th of Feb just waiting for confirmation. Ive done a little research and chances are we will test positive after having the virus first detected 12-14 days ago and a little less for the wife. I read on the Australian website that you can test positive but have a doctors note to say its been more than 14 days since a positive test and has had no symptoms for at least 72 hours. I’m trying to find out that the airline is aware of this and what I need a doctors not to actually say. We are now on our 6th flight!

Oh no. and it seemed so positive, fingers crossed you all get off on the 8th x

3 hours ago, Lady Tottington said:

We are returning to Oz permanently, I returned back of 2017 to UK because I really was home sick for my mum mainly, but in April 2020 my mum contracted Covid and died 6 days later so I have no ties here and my daughter is still in Australia.

I am so sorry to hear that.  All the best for getting back to Oz.

Just to jump on because you mentioned flights via Singapore.

British Airways just told me that we need to pick a flight and check what their rules are on the transiting airport. she says Bangkok aren’t allowing British through there. 

Which would be the best airline to book with?

On 04/02/2021 at 22:15, Cots said:

Just to jump on because you mentioned flights via Singapore.

British Airways just told me that we need to pick a flight and check what their rules are on the transiting airport. she says Bangkok aren’t allowing British through there. 

Which would be the best airline to book with?

Hi, I’d opt for Qatar as they’ve been the most reliable during the pandemic and this way you can have a break and get off the plane in Doha vs having to sit in the same plane in Singapore before flying onto Oz.

Another update, the 8th was never going to go but since we were booked on that we were also provisionally booked on the 20&23rd of this month and with the Oz government upping the numbers aloud in we are confirmed on the 20th with Singapore airlines. We also got offered a repatriation flight with Qantas but by the time I called it was fully booked and that was to Darwin. So less than two weeks to go hopefully and I have tested negative and the wife has yet to do a test to see but it’s been a while now since we all had the virus so should be good hopefully. Going to book test for the 72 hrs before we fly today and will use the company that’s linked to Singapore airlines so there can be no issues we hope. So I think we’re in around 8th time lucky so once again fingers crossed. I know someone mentioned the form you have to fill out with Oz government but you can only do that within 7 days of flying. 

wish us luck!

On 09/02/2021 at 10:53, Dorsetbrit said:

Another update, the 8th was never going to go but since we were booked on that we were also provisionally booked on the 20&23rd of this month and with the Oz government upping the numbers aloud in we are confirmed on the 20th with Singapore airlines. We also got offered a repatriation flight with Qantas but by the time I called it was fully booked and that was to Darwin. So less than two weeks to go hopefully and I have tested negative and the wife has yet to do a test to see but it’s been a while now since we all had the virus so should be good hopefully. Going to book test for the 72 hrs before we fly today and will use the company that’s linked to Singapore airlines so there can be no issues we hope. So I think we’re in around 8th time lucky so once again fingers crossed. I know someone mentioned the form you have to fill out with Oz government but you can only do that within 7 days of flying. 

wish us luck!

Are you travelling from UK because on Singapore airlines they state they are not flying from the UK at the moment?

We are from the uk but the airline has a deal with Singapore where we don’t get of the plane when we stop. They will keep us on the stand for 1hr 15mins which is much better as we were due for a 7 hr layover. I checked yesterday with Singapore airlines and so far we are still good to go so can only sit and wait and keep all fingers crossed. We also have our fit to fly tests booked for Wednesday which will be slightly less than the 72 hour deadline and to make sure we get the results in time. My wife has also tested negative now and my son doesn’t need testing to hopefully it will all work out. 

38 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

We are from the uk but the airline has a deal with Singapore where we don’t get of the plane when we stop. They will keep us on the stand for 1hr 15mins which is much better as we were due for a 7 hr layover. I checked yesterday with Singapore airlines and so far we are still good to go so can only sit and wait and keep all fingers crossed. We also have our fit to fly tests booked for Wednesday which will be slightly less than the 72 hour deadline and to make sure we get the results in time. My wife has also tested negative now and my son doesn’t need testing to hopefully it will all work out. 

That's good, can I ask who u booked with?