Dorsetbrit

Members5
  • Content count

    12
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

12 Neutral

About Dorsetbrit

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  1. That's very kind of you, we will be visiting Melbourne but won't get there until around 26th October but I'm guessing you would of headed the opposite way. It's great to get feedback and advise as we don't know how it all works and everyone has a different opinion. I have a mate in Melbourne so will catch up with him as well. Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  2. My wife and son 2mths old are coming to OZ in October for a three week stay to check out areas we might like to live in. After that trip we will make our final decision on weather we are emigrating or not. If its a yes we will be looking to come over in June- August next year once my daughter has completed her GCSE's. With all the visa changes we are really unsure of our best rout for visas, we are telling friends and family its for two years but deep down we feel its more of a forever choice but can never say never. My wifes a chartered accountant with a law degree and is currently a finance manager of a charity that turns over 8-10 million, and im a landscape gardener owning my own business. I would stay in that field but work for someone else until we find our feet when I might after that do something completely new. I dont like the idea of a sponsored visa with the threat of being sent home if you dont find a job in 30 days. So really im trying to have our options in our heads before we fly in October. Any thoughts are alway appreciated, I have posted before many months ago but a lots changed since then and now we have actually booked flights, so we are progressing forward. Many thanks.
  3. Thats a good shout thank you.
  4. Thanks for all your comments very helpful indeed. After hours of doing every combination there was we finally went on skyscanner and managed to get all flights we wanted for under £2k which I thought was a great deal and all flights with Qantas or emirates which I presume are owned by the same company. So we have 3 weeks to see if Oz is for us and after that make a choice on weather we are going to move out there.(Visas depending of course) Exiting times and I hope it lives up to what I dream of. Thanks to all who have replied.
  5. My wife and 3 month old child are flying over as a holiday in October with a view to move if visa approved in July 2018 (and if we love it) In our mind we want to live in Brisbane but are going to visit a few of the usual areas as well. We will start in Perth then fly to Melbourne, Brisbane then drive to Sydney then home from their. Ive priced a few times and doing the long hall flights with Ethiad then national flights with Qantas and including the car hire for 3 days ive come up with around £3000 for us all. Is this the figure we are looking at or is there better ways to save? Any thoughts on the matter and any comments about living over their and what we can expect would be great.
  6. I think i'm going to get my wife signed up as I feel a little like the guy in the middle. Great to hear the accountants first hand of things, my wife is from Christchurch to. It sounds to me going for the 189 will be the best option and hopefully seeking work could be sourced before we leave, ,maybe rent for a while before buying once we know the areas and surroundings. Sorry to the guys trying to help over the children side of things, clearly people have had experiences on this so it would be wise to take advise, it just through me as it was a complete change of subject. We know a move will be a super hard decision on us all as well as how the feelings of the family that we will leave behind. This is why we don't want to rush in to it but im not getting any younger and id at least like to say one day "we gave it a good go" even if long term it didnt work out. Thanks to all with the posts and ill get my wife to join in with her thoughts later, she got excited when I said a few accountants have been in contact.
  7. I was after visa advice not family therapy, thank you for your concern but I wouldnt make such a large decision without speaking to my daughter first, she's going to finish her exams first then we plan to move. She has a choice to start a new life in Australia or stay with her mum in england and she has chosen Australia. We will keep checking she feels the same the nearer we get to leaving but she's very excited by it as we all are.
  8. The wife and I are going to set some time aside this weekend and have a real good chat about what to do. Id be inclined depending on total cost to do what Bungo has said and get the skilled work visas on the go now and validate when we visit next year. It would also depend on how long we have to move there after the validation? but once we have the visas and after the visit we will probably come home and get things sorted like finding work and selling a house etc. What I think I know about the visa side of things is that we have to get one of the companies approved for doing the skills test to pass the wife, then express interest and I presume you get took through the process as you go? Theres three skills that she can apply for that are on the skills list and all on the red flag list plus another that we think she can do thats not on the red flag so we have options. I don't think moving my daughter in her final year of school would be the best idea as all she has learnt will be quite different for doing exams and shes doing pretty well. Again we will chat over all options over the weekend and see where we stand, and of coarse we have a lot of other people in the family to think about but we are both very strong and know this move is for us and no one else.
  9. Thanks Bungo very helpful unlike the one above by NEMESIS! The problem is we were using the trip to make sure it was right for us, I think we will both love it but I don't want to pay for visas then decide after the holiday its not for us. But I also don't want her job to get removed. If we validate the visa would there be a time frame we have to move there? or is it as long as your visa lasts?
  10. Thanks guys theres so much to think over, I new its wasn't going to be easy. My wife has links through her old job, they have offices in Melbourne and Sydney so that might be an avenue but it concerns me that her occupation might come of the list but not a lot we can do about that. We will do some research on Visas and see what will be the best avenue. She said she'll do what ever it takes if it means re-training, she has a law degree that might come in handy I hope that someone with her education and background could get through. Or I can do a brick laying coarse as I know thats on the shortage list and I can already brick lay I just dont have the official qualifications but I could get them. Ahhhh so much to consider but this is why we gave ourselves 2 years plus my daughter is doing her GCSES. I want to have no regrets in life so we will be ready for the tuff times ahead.
  11. I've heard that you could apply for a job and if they want you some companies would sort visa stuff out for you? Do you know how long the visa lasts for before you need to make a move? What does the visa validation mean? thanks Darren.
  12. Hi there, my wife and I are thinking very strongly about a move to Victoria in around two years time. As we are well aware of how hard visas can be we have given our selves plenty of time to get prepared for a move. The visa side of things we have been told by a friend already in oz is a complicated matter to say the least. So really I am looking for the best way to go. My names Darren and I own and run a landscape gardening company in Poole Dorset. My wife who we think will be the main visa applicant is a charted accountant and is a finance manager of a charity. We have a 14 year old daughter from a previose relationship and a baby on the way. We plan to come out there next year for three weeks where we will look at places to live including othere places in oz but for me Victoria is number 1 at the moment. So relly im just seeing what is the best way of getting a visa, we plan on staying for at least 2 years but if we love it we will stay. Its been a very tuff year for us and realising how short life is we really want to give this a go while still young (ish) and healthy. My wife is 28 and im 35. Ive really enjoyed reading all the posts on here and it will be great to see what people could suggest. All the best Darren