AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 26/10/2022 at 14:00, Kuwind said:

U should be recieving an invite soon if u have applied in Apr2022.. as already mar 2022 applicants have recieved invites for test. So next 15 days u should most probably get it too.. now depending on ur council u may or maynot get the ceremony done before mar 2023. U have 1 year after approval to attend the ceremony. Or else ur approval gets cancelled.. 

If u r in council with longer wait times for ceremony u can move to another council. Get ceremony done..apply priority passport n all set to leave before March..good luck.. u r almost there.. would definitely suggest to complete the procedure n leave.

You were right! We got our test invite 2 Nov, applied 14 April. Hopefully city of Melbourne will do the ceremony pretty quickly!

Hello,

A baby was born to parents (both of whom were Permanent Residents of Australia) at the time of his birth. The baby was born overseas in India. The baby's Child PR Visa subclass 101 was applied within 2 months of his birth. Now the entire family has returned to Australia. The parents have, since then, become Australian Citizens.

What is the criteria for citizenship of the baby?
a) Can the baby's parents apply for Citizenship for the baby directly or should he become get the Visa 101 grant first and then apply for Citizenship?
b) If the family goes overseas for a few years, can the baby apply for Citizenship from overseas? In other words, will the baby's entire Citizenship process that includes Application, processing and grant along with Passport and OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) card happen overseas or will it get stuck as the baby is not in Australia at any stage?
c) What is the time line for baby's Citizenship application? As I understand it will be a Citizenship by conferral. But in baby's case, considering he is less than 1 years old, there will not be any citizenship test/interview, ceremony, police checks etc. So the process should be far quicker than an adult. But any estimated timeline?

Also, anything that the parents need to keep in mind or beware of?

46 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Hello,

A baby was born to parents (both of whom were Permanent Residents of Australia) at the time of his birth. The baby was born overseas in India. The baby's Child PR Visa subclass 101 was applied within 2 months of his birth. Now the entire family has returned to Australia. The parents have, since then, become Australian Citizens.

What is the criteria for citizenship of the baby?
a) Can the baby's parents apply for Citizenship for the baby directly or should he become get the Visa 101 grant first and then apply for Citizenship?
b) If the family goes overseas for a few years, can the baby apply for Citizenship from overseas? In other words, will the baby's entire Citizenship process that includes Application, processing and grant along with Passport and OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) card happen overseas or will it get stuck as the baby is not in Australia at any stage?
c) What is the time line for baby's Citizenship application? As I understand it will be a Citizenship by conferral. But in baby's case, considering he is less than 1 years old, there will not be any citizenship test/interview, ceremony, police checks etc. So the process should be far quicker than an adult. But any estimated timeline?

Also, anything that the parents need to keep in mind or beware of?

Children and babies are included on the citizenship application of their parents and receive their citizenship at the same time as their parents. You can't legally leave your children off the application form (although there is a section for children that are not included in the application and you specify why they are not included - usually because they are Australian citizens).

18 hours ago, Ken said:

Children and babies are included on the citizenship application of their parents and receive their citizenship at the same time as their parents. You can't legally leave your children off the application form (although there is a section for children that are not included in the application and you specify why they are not included - usually because they are Australian citizens).

Thanks for your reply. In our case, the parents i.e. me and my wife applied for citizenship in Dec 2019 and the baby was born in April 2022 overseas when parents were stuck in India due to COVID.

2 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks for your reply. In our case, the parents i.e. me and my wife applied for citizenship in Dec 2019 and the baby was born in April 2022 overseas when parents were stuck in India due to COVID.

Hi

Go to the Australia immigration website  -> Become an Australian Citizen. There is a citizenship application pathway for children under 15 years old. Look at the section for Child 15 years or younger applying on their own. Hope it helps.

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2022 at 10:57, SSY said:

Hi

Go to the Australia immigration website  -> Become an Australian Citizen. There is a citizenship application pathway for children under 15 years old. Look at the section for Child 15 years or younger applying on their own. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I had done that already but I still have questions or need clarifications as mentioned above.

11 minutes ago, Bradley1986 said:

Feeling pretty disappointed, is anyone else waiting on a ceremony invite from Stonnington Council? I will have been waiting 5 months tomorrow (for a ceremony) 21 months total from application.

• Applied 23/02/21
  • Test 13/05/22
  • Approval 09/06/22

Sorry to hear about your long waiting period. 

I've been waiting approximately a month. In the Manningham council. 

From what I've read officially, it can take up to 6 months from your approval date to get the invite. So I'd be expecting your invite to come through between now and the 8th of December.

9 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks, I had done that already but I still have questions or need clarifications as mentioned above.

If you are already an Australian citizen when your child is born in India, should you not look at Become an Australian citizen be descent?

20 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

You should have notified the change in circumstances when the baby was born and added them to the application. I guess your predicament is unusual enough now that you should seek advice from an agent on the way forward. 

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

You should have notified the change in circumstances when the baby was born and added them to the application. I guess your predicament is unusual enough now that you should seek advice from an agent on the way forward. 

Thanks for your reply but I think this is not correct. As far as I know, we can't apply for citizenship for a baby without getting his Permanent Residency first. The only exceptions are if the child becomes a citizen by birth or descent. In my case, he was born overseas to me and my wife and we were both Permanent Residents only(and not citizens) at the time of his birth. So this is a case of citizenship by conferral and for that, becoming a PR for my son is a pre-requisite to apply for Citizenship. So until he gets his Visa 101 which is child PR visa, I don't think we can proceed with citizenship.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

3 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks for your reply but I think this is not correct. As far as I know, we can't apply for citizenship for a baby without getting his Permanent Residency first. The only exceptions are if the child becomes a citizen by birth or descent. In my case, he was born overseas to me and my wife and we were both Permanent Residents only(and not citizens) at the time of his birth. So this is a case of citizenship by conferral and for that, becoming a PR for my son is a pre-requisite to apply for Citizenship. So until he gets his Visa 101 which is child PR visa, I don't think we can proceed with citizenship.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

As rammygirl says, this is a very unusual position and you really should consult a registered agent. 

My wife and I had our interviews a couple of weeks ago in VIC(although our application dates one month apart with her applying one month after me) . Both officers were super nice and the process was quick and smooth. We were both asked to fill out a form and upload on our portal which we both did that same day . My approval came the next day but for her we have heard although it has been 2 weeks. Is that normal? I am assuming as we were both invited together , then applications should have been at a similar stage, but dont get why hers should take much longer.

Any ideas?

Hi

Once the status changes to "approved" on immiaccount, do we also receive a letter in post?

Also my wife and I had interview on the same day. Very smooth process and super friendly officers. We were both asked to fill out a form which we both did by the end of the day. I got approved the next day while my wife has been waiting for 25 days now and no update. Is that normal?

3 hours ago, MSingh1 said:

Question: After submitting citizenship application, do we need bridging visa to travel abroad ?

Our PR is still valid till dec 2023 and we are traveling and returning before sept 2023 

Once you have PR you don't need a Bridging Visa. They're only for people without valid visas. Once the travel portion of your PR expires you need an RRV (Resident Return Visa) to enter Australia, but based on the dates you've given you won't need that until Dec 2023.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I received citizenship ceremony invitation (26th Jan 2023) yesterday. My application included my kids so they are also invited. My family is out of Australia and scheduled to be back by 5th of February. My question is if I skip the ceremony, what are the chances that my name will be included in the next ceremony? It is Cardinia Shire in Victoria. Thanks

2 hours ago, EurotoAus said:

@Yameen who sent the invite? Council or DHA, If was council, try ringing them and asking to be put on list for the next one. 

Hi EurotoAus DHA sent the invitation through email. They also mentioned if due to a genuine reason ceremony can't be attended then I need to inform the DHA asap but it should be kept in mind that next invitation can be months away.