AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

Hi everyone

I applied for citizenship in Sep 21. I left Australia in May and came back in September. Everyone told me I would receive an invite immediately after I arrive in Australia but there has been no news in the past 20 days.I just called the department and was told told shocking news. I was told I needed to wait and that my travel AFTER the date of my application would balso be taken into account when they are assessing my application meaning I could be refused because I spent more than 90 days outside Australia AFTER my application date. I spoke with a lawyer last year and was told the residence requirement only applies before you submit your application and once the application is submitted the assessment will only be based on travel before that date. Do you have any information?

Regards

Still waiting for my ceremony invitation..... 4 months post approval now. Do anyone know what the wait time is like for Stonnington council. For those who have been invited to their ceremony do you get an email or is it in your immi inbox?

• Applied 23/02/21
  • Test 13/05/22
  • Approval 09/06/22

On 19/09/2022 at 23:37, MSingh1 said:

Thanks for the quick response. 
It’s PCC from India. It’s being done by a 3rd party (vfs) in Australia The process takes 8 weeks as per their website. I believe vfs forwards the application for pcc to Indian consulate and then Indian consulate ask the police station in locality of address.  
My worry is that if the Indian police goes to my place in India then they will find it locked since I nobody lives there except me when I visit India. It’s still my permanent address in India. 

Hi there! Have you received your Indian PCC? Did they visit your home? I have applied for Indian PCC and I'm worried about the same.

7 minutes ago, RSV said:

Hi there! Have you received your Indian PCC? Did they visit your home? I have applied for Indian PCC and I'm worried about the same.

good luck to you🤞 

I Decided to visit India and try from RPO and go to the Police station.

Other forms got mixed responses. Someone applied from Canada (for Canada PR) and nobody visited their place. 

The entire process is ridiculous and makes no sense. 

Q: do they (consulate/vfs) confiscate the passport if pcc is negative ?

A: No !  Then what’s the point of keeping the passport for 8 weeks 

Been living abroad for 7+ years now , how verifying my address is important when I don’t even live there, ?

What’s the point of having a consulate who can access RPO data or Aadhar data ? 

why can’t they just verify when I am sitting right infront of the consulate general? 

can they really catch any criminal by following this process? I doubt if Nirav Modi or Vijay malya will ever apply for pcc 😂

Here is a hopeless attempt from me . 

4 minutes ago, MSingh1 said:

good luck to you🤞 

I Decided to visit India and try from RPO and go to the Police station.

Other forms got mixed responses. Someone applied from Canada (for Canada PR) and nobody visited their place. 

The entire process is ridiculous and makes no sense. 

Q: do they (consulate/vfs) confiscate the passport if pcc is negative ?

A: No !  Then what’s the point of keeping the passport for 8 weeks 

Been living abroad for 7+ years now , how verifying my address is important when I don’t even live there, ?

What’s the point of having a consulate who can access RPO data or Aadhar data ? 

why can’t they just verify when I am sitting right infront of the consulate general? 

can they really catch any criminal by following this process? I doubt if Nirav Modi or Vijay malya will ever apply for pcc 😂

Here is a hopeless attempt from me . 

Truly the process does not make sense at all. I am unable to go for my medical now because VFS has my passport, and the medical centre requires me to have the original passport available.
I have also heard mixed responses. For one friend, no phone call or house visit was made - PCC issued without any of it. For another, they called and visited the home...

4 minutes ago, RSV said:

Truly the process does not make sense at all. I am unable to go for my medical now because VFS has my passport, and the medical centre requires me to have the original passport available.
I have also heard mixed responses. For one friend, no phone call or house visit was made - PCC issued without any of it. For another, they called and visited the home...

Boss man ( https://twitter.com/DrSJaishankar ) is here in Canberra. Maybe get his attention on Twitter. 100 tweets might help 

22 hours ago, Bradley1986 said:

Still waiting for my ceremony invitation..... 4 months post approval now. Do anyone know what the wait time is like for Stonnington council. For those who have been invited to their ceremony do you get an email or is it in your immi inbox?

• Applied 23/02/21
  • Test 13/05/22
  • Approval 09/06/22

Hi,

I called the department a few days ago regarding this and was told that the invite will be sent via email and should also appear in your immi inbox. Just to be sure, keep checking your immi account. 

Upon checking the Stonnington Council ceremony dates there are a few more for the rest of this year.

Ceremonies are scheduled for:

Tuesday 20 September 2022

Wednesday 12 October 2022

Wednesday 16 November 2022

Tuesday 6 December 2022

Wednesday 7 December 2022

Also, based on the advice from the DHA. You receive your ceremony invite between 3-6 months after your approval. So hopefully it should be within the next 2 months. 

Hi,

Could any body guide me? My application for citizenship has been approved however I m yet to receive ceremony invitation. I intend to fly out of Australia tomorrow to come back after 20 days. Do I need to inform the department of home affairs? And if yes, what's the procedure to inform them. Thanks 

7 hours ago, Yameen said:

Hi,

Could any body guide me? My application for citizenship has been approved however I m yet to receive ceremony invitation. I intend to fly out of Australia tomorrow to come back after 20 days. Do I need to inform the department of home affairs? And if yes, what's the procedure to inform them. Thanks 

Main thing is do you have an RRV or valid visa for travel ?  

I guess it depends where your invite is coming from and how.  Ours from local council arrived in the post with no e mail so we wouldn’t have known if not here.  You could ring council and ask, otherwise there is nothing stopping you travelling except the visa.

Once you have attended the ceremony you will need an Australian passport to re enter the country as your visa will no longer exist. 

Hi - 2 questions around the citizenship application.

1. My wife and I would be applying for our citizenship towards the end of this year. Do we need to make separate citizenship applications from our respective IMMI accounts ? Or do I make one application using my IMMI account and add her name on the same application ?

2. We got married last year (in Australia) before applying for our PR and all her Australian documents (license, medicare, etc.) have her maiden name. She would now like to change her last name to mine. While submitting the citizenship application, should I just enter her details with the new last name and attach our marriage certificate ? We would like our citizenship certificate and Australian passports to display her new last name.

Thanks in advance for your help.

14 hours ago, Rex said:

Hi - 2 questions around the citizenship application.

1. My wife and I would be applying for our citizenship towards the end of this year. Do we need to make separate citizenship applications from our respective IMMI accounts ? Or do I make one application using my IMMI account and add her name on the same application ?

2. We got married last year (in Australia) before applying for our PR and all her Australian documents (license, medicare, etc.) have her maiden name. She would now like to change her last name to mine. While submitting the citizenship application, should I just enter her details with the new last name and attach our marriage certificate ? We would like our citizenship certificate and Australian passports to display her new last name.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi 

Re your first question I applied for both my wife and myself using my oen immiaccount. They would still be 2 separate application but under one immiaccount. 

On 12/10/2022 at 01:51, Yameen said:

Hi,

Hi Yameen, please let us know if you informed dha or now know what needs to be done in such scenario. Thanks

Hi guys - here’s the timeline for anybody waiting for their invitation 
Interview- 25th August 2022
Approval - 25th August 2022
Ceremony invitation- 21st October 2022
Ceremony - 15th November 2022
Council- Whittlesea council 

I also got approved on 24th August whittlesea council. Weird that I didn't receive the invitation for ceremony in November.@melbk - Have you moved councils? Just curious to know?

Hi all, tried to search for this as I’m sure it’s been answered before but couldn’t find it.

Applied citizenship April 2022, thinking of moving back to Uk for 2.5 years in March 2023, then come back (in VIC so I know it’s unlikely to get a test before then). I know it can’t be approved whilst I’m overseas but my question is how long can the application be sitting there on hold before they cancel and I have to reapply?

We can prove substantial ties (own a house, our newborn’s a citizen, bank account, super etc) and satisfy the general residence as at application, will they say we no longer satisfy it on our return?

We really want the citizenship as we intend to live in australia when the baby goes to school etc, is it too risky to go ?

other option is to renew our rrv and then reapply?? 

anyone have any advice or risks to share?

Edited by Klt888

19 hours ago, Klt888 said:

Hi all, tried to search for this as I’m sure it’s been answered before but couldn’t find it.

Applied citizenship April 2022, thinking of moving back to Uk for 2.5 years in March 2023, then come back (in VIC so I know it’s unlikely to get a test before then). I know it can’t be approved whilst I’m overseas but my question is how long can the application be sitting there on hold before they cancel and I have to reapply?

We can prove substantial ties (own a house, our newborn’s a citizen, bank account, super etc) and satisfy the general residence as at application, will they say we no longer satisfy it on our return?

We really want the citizenship as we intend to live in australia when the baby goes to school etc, is it too risky to go ?

other option is to renew our rrv and then reapply?? 

anyone have any advice or risks to share?

U should be recieving an invite soon if u have applied in Apr2022.. as already mar 2022 applicants have recieved invites for test. So next 15 days u should most probably get it too.. now depending on ur council u may or maynot get the ceremony done before mar 2023. U have 1 year after approval to attend the ceremony. Or else ur approval gets cancelled.. 

If u r in council with longer wait times for ceremony u can move to another council. Get ceremony done..apply priority passport n all set to leave before March..good luck.. u r almost there.. would definitely suggest to complete the procedure n leave.

1 hour ago, Kuwind said:

U should be recieving an invite soon if u have applied in Apr2022.. as already mar 2022 applicants have recieved invites for test. So next 15 days u should most probably get it too.. now depending on ur council u may or maynot get the ceremony done before mar 2023. U have 1 year after approval to attend the ceremony. Or else ur approval gets cancelled.. 

If u r in council with longer wait times for ceremony u can move to another council. Get ceremony done..apply priority passport n all set to leave before March..good luck.. u r almost there.. would definitely suggest to complete the procedure n leave.

Unfortunately I’m in Vic so very unlikely to get a test invite this side of Christmas, unless I’m mistaken and I hope that I am?

do you have a link to the posts re people applying in March 2022 getting invited??

1 hour ago, Klt888 said:

Unfortunately I’m in Vic so very unlikely to get a test invite this side of Christmas, unless I’m mistaken and I hope that I am?

do you have a link to the posts re people applying in March 2022 getting invited??

Yes u can google immitracker.. n check australian citizenship tracker

On 05/10/2022 at 19:02, Iman said:

Same old cliche answers. Said your status is now showing "onshore". No updates on your case yet. You need to wait as it is still within the processing time window. I applied in sep21and people from feb 22 in VIC are now getting invited!

Did u get invited?