AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 30/08/2022 at 10:37, Ramy said:

Hi Everyone,

Those who are in Wyndham Council and have received the ceremony invite for September 2022 ceremony dates, could you please confirm your dates who were approved for citizenship in April 2022?

Would really appreciate your response on the same.

Regards

Ramy

Did you get any information about this?

Passed my test in May 2022, havent heard anything since.

Edited by mikesmyth
Add more info

6 minutes ago, restaurant.manager said:

Hello Friends,

I had my citizenship test this afternoon and got pass with 90% marks.

Many people here got approval on the same day, next day or next week.

How do i know that about my approval, cause my immi accounts says received from day first.

What was your application date? did you get request for more information.

4 hours ago, restaurant.manager said:

Did you get approval after your test?

Nopes. But logged into my online immi account where the status was changed to Approved after a week or two. Then I called customer service and waited for almost an hour, while on the line and got the confirmation on the same.

My update (was overseas recently):

So as previously posted, I applied in Nov 2020 for citizenship, invite for test etc. was in Jan/Feb 2022, passed and updated with some info about a different spelling of my name with little hassle other than me explaining it in a reply (as they'd approved my PR 5+ years earlier on the same basis).

Got an invite to a ceremony on 18/8, I was overseas at the time. Date of ceremony was 17/9, (today) National Citizenship Day apparently, so my journey is done (other than applying for a passport). Almost seven years in total (including the 9 months of pissing about in the UK between PR grant and moving), 4y as PR, 2y waiting for citizenship (so 6 years as a PR in total). I'm aware my journey's been more simple than most, as I've never had any temp visas or employment restrictions to deal with, but it's still good for it to be done with.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, it'll get there in the end! I'm in Victoria, so our state has been by far the slowest at processing things, from what I understand (given our almost total shutdown during COVID, particularly in late 2020/early 2021).

Annoyingly I have to fly to NZ on Friday, so I'm going to have the hassle of travelling on an overseas passport without a visa, but I'll cross that bridge. Have another flight early Oct, so I think if I can fast track it I can organise a passport by then, but by next Friday I have no chance!

• Like 1

On 17/09/2022 at 13:13, Waiting_in_vic said:

My update (was overseas recently):

So as previously posted, I applied in Nov 2020 for citizenship, invite for test etc. was in Jan/Feb 2022, passed and updated with some info about a different spelling of my name with little hassle other than me explaining it in a reply (as they'd approved my PR 5+ years earlier on the same basis).

Got an invite to a ceremony on 18/8, I was overseas at the time. Date of ceremony was 17/9, (today) National Citizenship Day apparently, so my journey is done (other than applying for a passport). Almost seven years in total (including the 9 months of pissing about in the UK between PR grant and moving), 4y as PR, 2y waiting for citizenship (so 6 years as a PR in total). I'm aware my journey's been more simple than most, as I've never had any temp visas or employment restrictions to deal with, but it's still good for it to be done with.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, it'll get there in the end! I'm in Victoria, so our state has been by far the slowest at processing things, from what I understand (given our almost total shutdown during COVID, particularly in late 2020/early 2021).

Annoyingly I have to fly to NZ on Friday, so I'm going to have the hassle of travelling on an overseas passport without a visa, but I'll cross that bridge. Have another flight early Oct, so I think if I can fast track it I can organise a passport by then, but by next Friday I have no chance!

All the best and congratulations for finally getting the citizenship. Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 15:44, Ramy said:

Not yet Mike. I am still waiting for any response on this. I too passed my test in May 2022.

Just for everyone's update, in the Wyndham Council one of the applicant I know has received the ceremony whose test date was 30th April 2022. So I guess those in May should expect the invite for the ceremony by October 2022 for November 2022 ceremony dates.

hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea why Victoria is way way behind in processing citizenship applications. its so ridicules, all other states are moving quicker and clearing their backlogs except Victoria. is there anything we can do or communicate to anyone in that regard.

thank you 

8 hours ago, R.Vic said:

hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea why Victoria is way way behind in processing citizenship applications. its so ridicules, all other states are moving quicker and clearing their backlogs except Victoria. is there anything we can do or communicate to anyone in that regard.

thank you 

Yes, because we basically shut down entirely for 18 months. We were hit way worse than any other state in the first year of the pandemic and everything ground to a halt.

Coupled with high application rates (I don’t know the exact figures, but I assume that since Syd and Melb are Australia’s biggest cities, there’s a high draw in terms of lifestyle/employment), then it’s a perfect storm.

Hello Guys,

I will be applying for citizenship in last week of October.

Need some advice regarding pcc 

1. Did anyone apply for PCC from VFS Sydney? 
2. Do they (police) go to the address in India ?

Reason I asked because:

• The house is locked. 
  • Nobody in the neighbourhood knows me because I was living there on rent and left the place almost 7 years ago when I left India in 2015. 
  • Parents moved to another district and other nearby residents I know now live in USA. 

37 minutes ago, MSingh1 said:

Hello Guys,

I will be applying for citizenship in last week of October.

Need some advice regarding pcc 

1. Did anyone apply for PCC from VFS Sydney? 
2. Do they (police) go to the address in India ?

Reason I asked because:

• The house is locked. 
  • Nobody in the neighbourhood knows me because I was living there on rent and left the place almost 7 years ago when I left India in 2015. 
  • Parents moved to another district and other nearby residents I know now live in USA. 

What is PCC? Police certificate? The police/Australian authorities will only give you a certificate of your Australian criminal history (or lack of it).

You'll need to order one from the authorities of each of the relevant countries you've lived in for a year or more, I have no idea how it works in India, in the UK I had to apply to ACPO for a criminal record check, I assume there's some similar process for every country. I can't see why they'd go to your house, it's based on the information the Police hold on their systems, but again this might be different in India. Either way, it won't be the Aussie cops heading over to India to look into this for you!

2 minutes ago, Waiting_in_vic said:

What is PCC? Police certificate? The police/Australian authorities will only give you a certificate of your Australian criminal history (or lack of it).

You'll need to order one from the authorities of each of the relevant countries you've lived in for a year or more, I have no idea how it works in India, in the UK I had to apply to ACPO for a criminal record check, I assume there's some similar process for every country. I can't see why they'd go to your house, it's based on the information the Police hold on their systems, but again this might be different in India. Either way, it won't be the Aussie cops heading over to India to look into this for you!

Thanks for the quick response. 
It’s PCC from India. It’s being done by a 3rd party (vfs) in Australia The process takes 8 weeks as per their website. I believe vfs forwards the application for pcc to Indian consulate and then Indian consulate ask the police station in locality of address.  
My worry is that if the Indian police goes to my place in India then they will find it locked since I nobody lives there except me when I visit India. It’s still my permanent address in India. 

12 hours ago, MSingh1 said:

Thanks for the quick response. 
It’s PCC from India. It’s being done by a 3rd party (vfs) in Australia The process takes 8 weeks as per their website. I believe vfs forwards the application for pcc to Indian consulate and then Indian consulate ask the police station in locality of address.  
My worry is that if the Indian police goes to my place in India then they will find it locked since I nobody lives there except me when I visit India. It’s still my permanent address in India. 

You don't need to worry about that scenario as this is not verification. The request is for a PCC (Police Clearance Certificate) which checks if there is any criminal history recorded against your name or not till the date when PCC is requested. If you don't have a police history recorded against your name, you don't need to worry. In any case, when the PCC comes it will be given to you and then you need to provide it further. So even if anything goes wrong, you will have the opportunity to get it corrected and then forward it. Hope this helps.

On 19/09/2022 at 09:09, Bradley1986 said:

This last wait from approval to ceremony feels like the longest and the worst.

• Applied 23/02/21
  • Test 13/05/22
  • Approval 09/06/22

Waiting ceremony Stonnington Council VIC

I finally got the ceremony invite , this is my timeline:

Application Date - 29 Jan 2021 

Test Invite Received: 31 March 2022

Test Date - 9 April  2022 rescheduled to 5th April 2022

Approval Date-5th April 2022

Ceremony invite received- 20th September 2022

Ceremony Date  12th October 2022 

@Stonnington Council, VIC

Based on your approval date, I believe your invite should come soon too.

Edited by sarens
  • Like 1